Start by marking “The Italian Baker, Revised: The Classic Tastes of the Italian Countryside--Its Breads, Pizza, Focaccia, Cakes, Pastries, and Cookies” as Want to Read:

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Who can resist bruschetta rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil, almond-studded biscotti dipped in coffee or wine, and, of course, a thin-crusted pizza with fresh, sweet tomatoes and tangy mozzarella? These Italian classics that Americans know and love are just the beginning; there are a wealth of other equally delicious breads and sweets waiting to be discovered. ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Ten Speed Press (first published October 30th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Italian Baker, Revised, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Italian Baker, Revised

During the last few years of my father's life, he became highly whimsical - buying many things he did not need. He'd then gift many things to me, my brother and my sister. Among the better items he gave me was a signed copy of this baking book. Traditional pizzas and bread were emerging onto the food scene in the Bay Area, and Field's book is the best entry into making traditional bread at home with the aid of a baking stone. There are great things about making ANY kind of bread at home, but if ...more
I wish I had bought the print edition, instead of the Kindle edition, of The Italian Baker because I need to constantly flip sections for more complete instructions when baking from it. This inconvenience will stop as I become more familiar with Field's methods. I enjoyed reading all of the histories and background information about bread, desserts and ingredients, but I am having problems recreating the doughs as described. My bread dough is never as wet as Field's, but the bread is amazing. Th ...more
The section on rustic breads is worth the price of the book. On each recipe, there are instructions for preparing by hand, by food processor and by mixer. Field travelled all over Italy, visiting bakers to learn recipes and then translated them into North American flour types.

I have used my copy of this so many times that the spine has broken. I'd replace it except then I'd have to transfer all my notes.

One of the best lessons I learned from reading "The Italian Baker" is to add a small amount o
False Millennium
Another cookbook I checked out recently where I was intent on trying at least one recipe, and I could not find one recipe that interested me. I am sure this isn't true for everyone. I'm just reporting my experience.
this book kicked off my interest in baking bread and i haven't bought a loaf since. well, maybe the odd artisanal thing when visiting kids away from home, but not at home. when i went to italy in the 70s, i discovered a society where fresh bread was basic to life. this book helped me to appreciate what went into the making of that staple, not just the assembly of bread--and the techne is critical--but choice of ingredients, where they come from. also, raised my awareness about flours, especially ...more
I really like to see updated version of this book--the recipes from 1985 are a bit archaic in today's cooking world--who uses lard?
John Millard
For bread this is one of the best places to start.
Mar 19, 2015 Elizabeth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: npr, food, travel
As heard on Rick Steves Audio Europe.
Peter Zingg
Nice to see that this classic has been reissued. I'm working my way back through the recipes with my son after 20 years of non-baking, and Field's comments are always helpful. Her introduction to the history of bead in Italy is a gem; now I'm eager to read Pellegrino Artusi's 1890 cookbook on her recommendation.
I am basing this on the one recipe I tried so far. I know one recipe over many months is not many, but I have been trying recipes from a range of sources. The one cake I have made, a spice cake was easy to make and tasted great.
Revisiting this good cookbook. 7/15 Still a 5 star!

I really loved this book! I checked it out from our library, but I plan on purchasing it and working my way through all of the recipes.
Leslie Hickman
I gave this as a gift. I ended up liking what he cooked out of it I bought one for myself!! My favorite is the marbled pund cake with chocolate & vanilla flavors!!
Update on 7/19/2010 - Jessica's Biscuit ( has the book in stock. It was just reissued in a limited release.
Allison Severson
Great book about baking bread, with lots of information about Italian bread history- when it started, etc. Beautiful photos too!
This book was kind of like a bible when I was growing up. Her "new" breads are better than the traditional ones, however.
Arthur "AJ"
Great book about bread making that is also filled with travel stories.
The source of my Italian Cheesecake Recipe....
Jan 25, 2008 Cheryl rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to bake
Awesome breads! Core cookbook for me.
Lots of good breads.
Jan 11, 2012 Mary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
David Lebovitz recommends
Kristy is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2015
Arun added it
Nov 13, 2015
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
A marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Annie Joaquim
Annie Joaquim marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Anika Bal
Anika Bal marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
  • The Mozza Cookbook: Recipes from Los Angeles's Favorite Italian Restaurant and Pizzeria
  • The Splendid Table
  • The New Midwestern Table: 200 Heartland Recipes
  • Kneadlessly Simple: Fabulous, Fuss-Free, No-Knead Breads
  • Vietnamese Home Cooking
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • One Big Table: A Portrait of American Cooking: 600 recipes from the nation's best home cooks, farmers, pit-masters and chefs
  • My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home
  • Vefa's Kitchen
  • Marcella's Italian Kitchen
  • A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories
  • My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats