Start by marking “Basic to Brilliant, Y'all: 150 Refined Southern Recipes and Ways to Dress Them Up for Company” as Want to Read:

A follow-up to the author’s acclaimed Bon Appétit, Y’all, featuring 150 recipes that combine Southern flavors with time-honored French technique, and include a sophisticated variation that kicks each dish up a notch to make it brilliant.

Virginia Willis has a knack for giving French recipes a downhome Southern feel. In Basic to Brilliant, Y’all, she builds on her signature
Published October 4th 2011 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Basic to Brilliant, Y'all, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basic to Brilliant, Y'all

Kurt
Apr 22, 2012 Kurt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
I admit, I love cookbooks more for daydream inspiration than actual practicality. I've been single for a long time, getting more introverted as I grow into a grumbly New Englander, and I don't justify the effort of cooking for one. When I dream of cooking, though, it's in ways that this books nails perfectly. Willis has Southern roots and French training, so she selects recipes that, for example, lay out a traditional Georgia burnt caramel cake, with an option to pair it with an apple-hazelnut c ...more
Jacki
Dec 21, 2011 Jacki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelf-awareness
Fans of Virginia Willis (Bon Appetit, Y'all) love her creative but accessible methods of blending recipes and techniques from the American South with traditional French cuisine to create culinary marriages made in heaven. Willis's version of Grandma's Chicken (poulet au grandmère), in which chicken, potatoes and mushrooms simmer together in a bath of broth, butter and herbs until the smell from the pot has the chef weeping in ecstasy, came out beautifully when tested. Willis adds a fast, helpful ...more
Cassandra Foote
May 31, 2014 Cassandra Foote rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this cookbook. I got it as a birthday gift from my mom. The recipes are very easy to follow and everything I've ever made out of here turns out delicious!
Kathy
Oct 16, 2011 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent reference and practical cookbook to have around the kitchen. Every recipe is mouthwatering good! Virginia provides Brilliant thoughts for each recipe whether it be a short cut or a presentation tip. The photos are gorgeous.

I highly recommend this gorgeous and absolutely brilliant cookbook!
Maureenh
May 30, 2012 Maureenh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, I admit it. I read cookbooks like novels. Virginia Wells' entries at the beginning of each recipe are delightful and chatty. It is as if your wonderful, funny, very southern aunt showed up in your kitchen and started gabbing away while she cooked. Come to think if it, I really wish that would happen at some point...
Jocelin
Oct 22, 2011 Jocelin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Another great cookbook from Virginia Willis. This book totally had me wanted to just take up residence in my kitchen. 2 recipes that I definitely want to try are The Shrimp Rillets & the Parmesan Potatoes (yum-my). I just may have to break down and buy this one.
Susan Hatch
I GUESS I am not as Southern as I thought I was when I got out Virginia Willis' first book. But the instructions are very easy and naturally, the picture are lovely. I'd stick to her other book...altho she does offer a great Quick Puff Pastry recipe.
Heather
Apr 02, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
she does a great job of making everything approachable. I love that she had professional training along with hereditary training and regional training. She is a great resource.
Carol
Mar 24, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Especially her trick for hard-boiled eggs. I eat a lot of eggs and it's going to be life changing! No more green yolks for me:)
Abigail
Mar 07, 2012 Abigail rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
Not exactly basic cooking, not impressed with the recipes. Alot of the recipes I don't even want to try to make, not family friendly.
Tish Morris
Tish Morris rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Barb
Barb rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Shiann McCamey
Shiann McCamey marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
London
London marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Clare Atkinson
Clare Atkinson marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Kristi
Kristi is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2016
Barbara
Barbara is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2016
Shelly
Shelly marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Sara Hallin-Lundstrom
Sara Hallin-Lundstrom is currently reading it
Linda Swenson
Linda Swenson is currently reading it
Liz Winn
Liz Winn rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
itmfiddler
itmfiddler marked it as to-read
Mary Rau
Mary Rau marked it as to-read
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Virginia Willis is the author of the acclaimed cookbook, Bon Appétit, Y’all! Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking (Ten Speed Press, 2008). Her latest book, Basic to Brilliant, Y'all: 150 Refined Southern Recipes and Ways to Dress Them Up for Company (Ten Speed Press, 2011) was rated as one of the top rated cookbooks of 2011. Virginia was also recently named by the Chicago ...more
More about Virginia Willis...