Start by marking “(Re)Visions: Alice” as Want to Read:
(Re)Visions: Alice

(Re)Visions: Alice ((re)Visions)

In 1865, an English author and scholar with an abiding interest in mathematics and logic published a tale originally told for the amusement of a friend's young daughter, Alice.

The resulting novel, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, was largely ignored at first, but then rapidly rose to fame, with such prominent admirers as Queen Victoria and Oscar Wilde; its nonsensical lan

Published October 18th 2011 by Candlemark & Gleam (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about (Re)Visions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about (Re)Visions

Splintered by A.G. HowardThe Looking Glass Wars by Frank BeddorAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollSeeing Redd by Frank BeddorThrough the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll
Curiouser and Curiouser
50th out of 137 books — 216 voters
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Looking Glass Wars by Frank BeddorSplintered by A.G. HowardHatter by Daniel  ColemanSeeing Redd by Frank Beddor
Wonderland
43rd out of 104 books — 139 voters

More lists with this book...

April Steenburgh
Oct 25, 2011 April Steenburgh rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of covers when it comes to music. I enjoy mash ups- one artist being inspired by another, taking bits and pieces here to tell another story, to expand upon the original idea. It allows everything involved to grow and become so much more. I have similar tastes when it comes to writing. I love shared worlds as well as retellings. And I really, really, enjoy re-imaginings of Alice in Wonderland. This makes me both the target audience for (re)Visions Alice, as well as one of its more diff ...more
Emily Brown
Apr 12, 2012 Emily Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
only four stars because the only good story was amanda ching's. her vision into the mad queen's past is incredibly creative and very well-written. worth the $5 kindle price!!
Caitlin
I really, really enjoyed this. Collections can be hard to review, but this was great.

We start with the original Alice in Wonderland. Obviously, we all know the story, but it had been years since I last read it and disneys version had slowly replaced it in my imagination. Rediscovering the original was a delight.

What Aliester Found Here is a gender-swapped, urban fantasy version of the Alice tales, combining elements from both Wonderland and Throught the Looking Glass into a unique and wonderful
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Oct 01, 2011 Michelle (In Libris Veritas) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, retellings
In compliance with FTC guidelines, I received this book through the Early Reviewers program on Library Thing and from the publisher Candlemark & Gleam

Before I get to the main review I just have to say this, because to be honest I can't hold it in. This book was brillant! The stories are so original and more then once did I find myself smiling like the Cheshire himself.

Okay okay, now hopefully I can do this without gushing my love and adoration all over.Not likely.

The book opens with it's fir
Thoughts in  Books
Jun 09, 2014 Thoughts in Books rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this book I was unsure as to what to expect. The first quarter of it is the original story of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, while the rest of it are short stories inspired by Lewis Carroll's work. But what does that mean?

It became clear as I read through it that the authors interpreted Alice through their stories, some used the literal Wonderland world, while others took less obvious motifs. In a way there is no all-encompassing summary of this book because ther
Blue
(Re)Visions: Alice is a collection of five stories, including the original Alice in Wonderland. The remaining four stories are retellings, some more easily recognized than others, as a spatiotemporal amalgams of the original. They are all twisted and surprising, but in different ways, and the final judgment will depend on the reader's taste.

What Aelister Found Here by Kaye Chazan is about a boy, who escapes from home, and finds himself as the young protégé of a Duke in London. The world he sees
Arthur
Dec 07, 2011 Arthur rated it it was amazing
This book includes the original Alice in Wonderland and 4 new stories inspired by it. Honestly, I found the original story a bit tedious, but the new stories were just great. The first 3 stories were especially imaginative, and I feel like I need to read them again to truly appreciate them. They definitely left me wanting more!
Erin (Bluestocking Bookworm)
See this review and more like it at Bluestocking Bookworm

Many thanks to Candlelight & Gleam for sending me this review copy via Netgalley.

Read: April 19 to April 23, 2014

Confession time! This is the first short story anthology I have ever read. Shocking, right? But I am glad that I broke into the anthology world, because reading (Re)Visions: Alice was quite enjoyable. I am not entirely sure how to review an anthology, so I am going to wing it!

We start with the original Alice in Wonderland, a
Mieneke
Sep 26, 2011 Mieneke rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2011
Candlemark and Gleam's new (re)Visions series, is a concept in which classic works of speculative fiction are reinterpreted by modern authors. I think this is a very interesting idea, especially as they also include the original work, so the reader can read both the original and the inspired works in sequence. The first work tackled in the series is Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland.

In (re)Visions: Alice,in addition to Lewis Carroll's original Alice in Wonderland,we find novella's by Kaye Chaz
Ramie
Included in the anthology are the following stories:

Lewis Carroll’s "Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” - yeah, the classic story is here. Good luck to the other authors in the collection trying to compete with that. Surely everyone knows at least a bit of this story. Alice falls down the rabbit hole and ends up in another world, one filled with magical mushrooms, sneaky cats, hatters that are mad…

Kaye Chazan's "What Aelister Found Here” - This one tied with “Knave” for my favorite story (excl
Rebecca
Nov 08, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, anthologies
Full disclosure: I know the editor and a couple of the authors.

Alice in Wonderland is so influential a bewildering phantasmogoria that it makes a perfect base for this clever concept. I'd actually forgotten how truly bizarre this story is to begin with. (You made a children's movie out of this, Disney? Really?) From the baby-that-is-really-a-pig to the rabbit's missing serving girl Mary Ann to Alice's truly atrocious manners and inability to navigate without breaking things or insulting people,
Imogen
Jun 12, 2013 Imogen rated it really liked it
*I received this copy from the publisher.

I usually don't read collections of short stories anymore. Having said that, this is the best I've read in quite some time and has ultimately made me think twice about why I stopped reading them.

First of all, it was nice to start the book off with the classic Lewis Carroll story.

Secondly, I won't go into detail with each story, but I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed "What Aelister Found Here" and "House of Cards" the best, and "The World in a Thimble
Gecky Boz
Nov 12, 2011 Gecky Boz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesomely Authentic Alice

* ARC read/received from the publisher Candlemark & Gleam

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
5 out of 5 gnomes

I've never actually read this story before. I was surprised how much of the Disney movie was just like it was in the story. Surprisingly I think I like the original story better then the Disneyfied cartoon. I just seems better put together and more dreamlike then the movie. Alice is much more determined in the story then I thought she would be. H
Michelle
Sep 05, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
(re)Visions–the retelling of classic tales with a modern twist–is such a great idea for a series of books. Each story was imaginative and fantastical. With Jack the Ripper, a Cheshire cheese, familiar characters reimagined as seedy gangsters, and a roving pack of street-tough cats, these stories aren’t derivative or faithful retellings, but fun and definitely adult additions to the mythology of Wonderland.

(re)Visions: Alice begins with the original Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Including
Melissa
Jul 05, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I have to start this review by saying that I am a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland. (And by that I mean I have many copies of the book including a copy of the original Alice’s Adventures Underground and most of the movie versions) This is probably not very surprising as I would assume that the first type of readers to pick this book up would have at least a passing interest in Alice. What I wound up enjoying the most about the book was that it was not just set up for an Alice fan. Editor, Kate Su ...more
Gaele
Jun 18, 2013 Gaele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
I must admit that I am a huge fan of “reimagined” classics: whether simply revamping characters and placing them in new and modern situations or reworking the story for a modern reader. When treated with the author’s individual spin, the potential for the newly imagined story with characters known since childhood is endless. This book is a stellar example of the idea in action, taking Alice into a far more adult themed Wonderland and bringing four new short stories for you to enjoy. Cleverly sta ...more
Alessandra
May 11, 2014 Alessandra rated it it was amazing
All four novellas are true to the spirit of Alice. Each one carries hints of Wonderland throughout, some more noticeably than others. More importantly, the well written and imaginative novellas would all do wonderfully if they were stand alone. I have a great love for all things Alice and thoroughly enjoyed these renditions. I read it for kindle, but I'm considering buying it in paperback to add this wonderful collection to my library.

A must-read for all lovers of Alice!
Holly
Aug 29, 2015 Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I'm a huge Alice fan, and therefore am drawn to re-workings and imaginings of the original stories. And I usually have to steel myself for disappointment, as most of the time they don't live up (in my mind) to the creativity of the original. These stories, however, were super creative, and super fun to read. Highly recommended, if you like Alice, and crave a darker version of Wonderland than any Disney-fication available.
Krizia Anna
Aug 10, 2015 Krizia Anna rated it really liked it
The stories in this collection were all good. Stories that were adapted from Alice in Wonderland. All the stories kept up with the surreal and weird characters from Wonderland. Actually, they are more adult versions of the beloved Alice in Wonderland. Anybody who loved Alice will also love (re)Visions.
Excalibur Snape
Apr 22, 2014 Excalibur Snape rated it liked it
Shelves: april-2014
This book has five adult version of Alice in wonderland or stories of wonderland. The book should have been called wonderland.
The stories were interesting.
There was a lot of swearing and some sex.
There was lots of drama and some action.
All in all it was an entertaining read.
ceeeeg
Jul 26, 2014 ceeeeg rated it it was ok
did not care for this at all....a rehash of the Carroll classic and not a good one
Deb Novack
Oct 04, 2011 Deb Novack rated it really liked it
I have always loved the Original Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. When I read it again and then read the updated stories you just know that it will become a well loved book also. I found myself giggling out loud and really enjoying reading this book. I wish more people would take the classics and maybe give them a new life as most of our children have never even seen or read one of the many classic books. Keep up the good work all of you good authors.
Elizabeth
Oct 25, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
This collection is a wildly imaginative grouping of original takes on the Alice mythos. This also contains the Lewis Carroll original which is a personal favorite. Each addition to this collection is truly an original and will entrance, stun, and intrigue the reader by turns. This is one that I will be recommending to readers who enjoy retellings of classic stories.
Stevie Carroll
Jun 29, 2013 Stevie Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stories riffing off Alice's Adventures in Wonderland with the original in there first as a reminder of all the details. I loved them all for very different reasons, although it took me a while to get into the first of the new stories for some reason. My favourite may have been 'Knave', or it may have been 'The World in a Thimble'.
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Loverlypurple
Loverlypurple marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Katheryn Van Riper
Katheryn Van Riper marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Katrina Moreno
Katrina Moreno marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • Fantastic Alice
  • Follow the White Rabbit (Beautiful Madness, #1)
  • Pilgrim of the Sky
  • The Other Half of the Sky
  • Sky Ranger (Extrahumans, #2)
  • Twelve Impossible Things Before Breakfast
  • Erekos
  • Attack the Geek (Ree Reyes, #2.5)
  • Matchbox Girls (Senyaza Series, #1)
  • The Other Alice: The Story of Alice Liddell and Alice in Wonderland
  • Jabberwocky
  • Alice in Sunderland
  • Mr Blank (Fill in the Blank, #1)
  • Tales From Wonderland, Volume 1
  • Mermaids and Other Mysteries of the Deep
  • On the Train
  • Scenting the Dark and Other Stories
Author of speculative fiction.
More about Kaye Chazan...