Start by marking “Sarah Of The Moon” as Want to Read:
Sarah Of The Moon

Sarah Of The Moon

ALEX IN WONDERLAND

The Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco in 1967. Alex Conley, a part-time writer for a Baltimore newspaper, is dispatched to chronicle the events occurring there. It is June of 1967, and the summer of love is in full swing.

Alone, in this strange and magical place, he meets a girl named Sarah, a free spirit who is as mysterious as she is beautiful.

Nook, 0 pages
Published July 18th 2011 by CreateSpace (first published June 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sarah Of The Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sarah Of The Moon

Natalie Valdes
Jul 18, 2011 Natalie Valdes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-At first glance, I honestly thought this was going to be one of those sappy romance novels.AND I was wrong, it is FAR MORE than that. It's most likely because the description and the cover doesn't give the book the justice it truly deserves.(Some Hipster Chick, would be cool)

After the first two chapters, I was sucked in and couldn't put it down. Alex, the eighteen year old part-timer for a paper interested me. Why? Well, the era. Hippies are something I never read about before, and other than l
N.A. Forbush
Feb 10, 2012 N.A. Forbush rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Today I read "Sarah of the Moon" by Randy Mixter and seldom have I been so touched as I was by his novel set in the Haight-Asbury district of San Francisco in 1967. If it were possible to give this book ten stars instead of merely five I would do so. The purpose of all writing is to transport us to a new destination, to expand our perspective of the world we live in, or to give us a glimpse of an existing world we've never seen. This author does so in such a profound way as to make it seem part ...more
James Battee
Feb 15, 2012 James Battee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Randy Mixter's tale, Sarah of the Moon, was nothing like what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised when I read the first chapter. When I found that much of it took place in an area and atmosphere of which I had no experience I began to get caught up in the story. Randy draws his characters well with broad brushstrokes without resorting to gimmicks or stereotypes except in the loosest way. The story of the boy from Baltimore and the enigmatic San Francisco Flower Child, Sarah, is as touching as ...more
Sandy
Mar 10, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SARAH OF THE MOON by Randy Mixter

When Randy approached The Reading Café about reviewing his latest novel, Barb and I were backlogged with books, novellas and interviews, that I thought this would be one story for a rainy afternoon. After writing another review, I came back to Randy’s email and thought I would take a quick look at Sarah of the Moon. Well, that quick look turned into an hour and before I realized it, I had finished the book.

Sarah of the Moon is a sweet romance story. Set against t
Leslie Parker
If you think Sarah Of The Moon is just about hippies and the summer of love, think again. At its heart Sarah Of The Moon is a love story between a man and a woman from different cultures.
The setting is the Haight-Ashbury section of San Francisco and the year is 1967. Alex Conley is a reporter sent to cover the hippie movement by a Baltimore newspaper. Sarah is a mysterious free spirit who dances by the light of a summer moon to a song that only she can hear.
Before long, Alex and Sarah meet and,
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
To be honest, I only got this book because I was intrigued by the title and loved the cover! But I was completely enthralled by it as I was reading it and it left me with many thoughts once I had finished it.

It is a perfect balance of war (Vietnam) and peace (summer of love), romance, mystery, compassion, energy which makes it a joy to read. If, like me, you have read some of the other reviews then you know that this does not have a "happy ever after" which is unusual for a romance book. But the
Wendy Bryant
Aug 05, 2012 Wendy Bryant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It is so well written that every page is a revelation.
When Alex goes to San Francisco during the 1967 summer of love, he is a fish out of water. Then he meets the beautiful and mysterious Sarah and things change rapidly. This is a story about a love that lasts a lifetime and a romance that lasts a summer. It is a book I'll come back to more than once. They say true love never dies. Sarah Of The Moon shows you why.
Karen Remington
Apr 04, 2012 Karen Remington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-great-book
A Great Book!
I have read hundreds of books in my lifetime but I rank Sarah Of The Moon as one of my all-time favorites. Great writing! Great story! I simply loved this book and cannot wait for more from this author.
Tena
Aug 01, 2012 Tena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending left me wanting to know more...
Beth Harding
Jun 27, 2012 Beth Harding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My parents gave me this book recently. Both praised the story and the setting. They said this book hit the nail on the head. Since they were both in San Francisco during the summer of love, when the story takes place, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. I must say they were 100% right. This was an amazing love story involving two people from different cultures who fall in love.
Everything was spot on from the dialogue to the setting of Haight-Ashbury at the height of flower power. T
Leslie
Mar 05, 2012 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book was absolutely beautifully written. I felt like I was reading a memoir because the details were so vivid. I was transported to a time I've never really known much about and actually found myself longing to have been able to experience a summer of such freedom and beauty. I fell in love with the characters. They are written in such a way that you would have trouble convincing me that they aren't real people. I really cared about them and feel like I want to know what they are doing with ...more
Beth Erwin
Aug 27, 2012 Beth Erwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-fiction
Sarah of the moon is a love story, a tragedy, a history, and a lesson in humanity. It is an engaging read with an exceptional supporting cast surrounding Alex's journey to not only find out and report on the haight-ashbury culture, but also his own identity away from home and family.
Jeff Sterling
Jun 18, 2012 Jeff Sterling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure I'd like this book but I did. It was a great love story and I got caught up in all the characters. It also had some humor in it. I will read more by this author.
Joan Drury
Jun 19, 2012 Joan Drury rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buy-this-book
I really liked this book. It was a great love story that takes place in San Francisco during the 1967 summer of love. It was well written and all the characters were likable. Sarah, you're my hero.
Jun 06, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow start, but once it got interesting, I was hooked.
Dario
Aug 22, 2012 Dario rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was great. I was born in 1980 so the only things I know about the hippie era is from music and movies and tv shows like Wonder Years. The book really conveyed that well I could feel and sense the movement coming through the writing. The story line almost gets forgotten that the he is there to write a column but the love story takes over and I thought it was done very well. I am not big on romantic novels and this book certainly had more to offer but if the romance didn't take ...more
Vicki Valenta
Aug 20, 2012 Vicki Valenta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book free for my Kindle. I must say, it was much better than most of the other free books I've gotten. It's a gentle and mystical love story set in Haight Ashbury during the summer of love.
Luana
Aug 27, 2012 Luana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cried during the last two Chapters! It broke my heart...I loved it!
Susan Hug
Aug 21, 2012 Susan Hug rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps it's my own personal affinity for this period in history that made this story so like-able from the first page, but I never wanted it to end.
Jeffrey Miller
Mar 15, 2013 Jeffrey Miller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As soon as I started reading Randy Mixter’s bittersweet love story Sarah of the Moon and immediately teleported back to the summer of love, a time that was still innocent with hope not yet destroyed, I felt as though I was in a dream. To be sure, Mixter’s lyrical prose, especially his descriptions of Sarah dancing or of Alex taking in all the sights and sounds of Haight-Ashbury, had a very dreamy quality to them. On one hand Mixter’s describing what he might have seen if he had been a young, naï ...more
Rebecca
Jan 03, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't think I'd get into this one when I first started it. A young writer from the Baltimore Sun is sent to San Francisco to cover the Hippie movement. He gets there around the summer of love - it may have been 1967, but it doesn't matter...he arrives and everything is in full swing. He meets a few people and goes to live with them in their house - one of the Victorians, I'm guessing. Anyway, he meets Sarah; she lives in the house as well, and he is intrigued by her. It's almost like she's ethe ...more
GoldenjoyBazyll
Mar 19, 2013 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I probably loved this book so much because there were many things that reminded me of my younger years that I could relate to. In addition, having spent a good amount of time in San Francisco- particularly the neighborhood focused on in this story- I was drawn in. I really enjoyed the book and was left wanting more by the last page. I guess the only thing that left me feeling unsatisfied was the fact that you never found out what became of Sarah... although maybe Sarah represented the half of yo ...more
Joclyn
Jan 30, 2013 Joclyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was going to give this book three stars because it bordered on the sappy side, but then I found myself liking the characters. This was a nostalgic read, a tour of Golden Gate Park, Haight-Ashbury, a concert with Janis Joplin and Jefferson Airplane, and the end of the hippies and the flower children. Now I really miss The Smothers Brothers, Laugh-In...
Karen Frayne
Mar 09, 2013 Karen Frayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every one wants that one great love... This was slow starting story for me, almost put it down. Very glad I didn't. I lived through that time and still, the book offered insight to a period of extremes and emotions which I have never truly understood. It married the warring factions of my memories. Well worth the time spent reading.
Eileen
Sep 11, 2012 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not disappointed in the book at all. It brought back memories of SF and the Haight-Ashbury district, flower children (hippies)all good times and all good memories. If you're from SF or not I would recommend this book. The characters are very lively. Give it a try.
Chris
Feb 19, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really, really liked this book. Liked the characters, the locale the time period and the sweet story of an intense first love. Not at all mushy.
Kristi
Feb 17, 2013 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was a bit historical with San Fran's flower power movement. It was a sweet love story. I would read it again.
Pam Logan
Apr 14, 2014 Pam Logan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book very much. Covers a time in history I'm not very familiar with so I found it very interesting.
Bridget Coyle
Mar 13, 2013 Bridget Coyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read. Just a little bit of everything. Drama, tear jerking, history and laughs. An all around excellent book.
Barbara
Mar 14, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great read.
  • The Truth About Us
  • Breaking News
  • Something Witchy (Mystics & Mayhem #1)
  • Willow Pond
  • Francesca of Lost Nation
  • The Scavenger's Daughter: A Tyler West Mystery
  • Ferris' Bluff
  • Much Ado About Marshals (Hearts of Owyhee, #1)
  • Phoenix Feather
  • The Secret of Lies
  • To the Princess Bound (Terms of Mercy, #1)
  • Seems Like Old Times
  • A Moment In Time
  • At Road's End (Pre-Aztec series, Prequel)
  • Lime Ricky
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • T'on Ma
  • The Contessa's Vendetta
Author Randy Mixter lives in Pasadena, Maryland, with his wife Veronica and their five cats. He writes in a variety of genres including Fantasy, Action/Adventure, Mysteries, and Suspense Thrillers. He currently has several novels and short stories available, with more on the way.

Find out about new releases, special discounts, and free book promotions at https://sites.google.com/site/randymi...

Chec
More about Randy Mixter...