Start by marking “Raising the Hunley: The Remarkable History and Recovery of the Lost Confederate Submarine” as Want to Read:

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The history of the Confederate submarine H. L. Hunley is as astonishing as its disappearance. On February 17, 1864, after a legendary encounter with a Union battleship, the iron “fish boat” vanished without a trace somewhere off the coast of South Carolina. For more than a century the fate of the Hunley remained one of the great unsolved mysteries of the Civil War. Then, o ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Presidio Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Raising the Hunley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising the Hunley

John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. ShirerTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Best History Books
497th out of 1,842 books — 1,880 voters
Gone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraCold Mountain by Charles FrazierTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinThe Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
American Civil War Books
146th out of 225 books — 170 voters

More lists with this book...

Sy De Witt
Sep 09, 2012 Sy De Witt rated it really liked it
I started this book on the flight to Miami on Saturday, August 25, 2012 and thanks to Tropical Storm Isaac, finished it on Sunday, August 26th.

Given my interest in the Civil War, in the narrative the author mentioned many names of persons and places with which I was very familiar.

I was surprised (but shouldn't have been) at the clashes of egos over the search for the missing "fish boat" and subsequently for which state would benefit from its raising and ultimately get to keep it.
Neil Coulter
Aug 23, 2015 Neil Coulter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I gave this book, and a model kit of the Hunley, to my father-in-law a few years ago for Christmas. While staying with my in-laws recently, I needed a book to read and noticed that Raising the Hunley was still there, so I grabbed it. In theory, it's the kind of book I should really enjoy. Though I'm not at all a Civil War buff, I do enjoy reading interesting accounts of history, and I've always had an interest in archaeology. Unfortunately, the book doesn't work very well. The main problem is th ...more
Elliott
Jul 21, 2007 Elliott rated it really liked it
Not only is it a good account of the Hunley, but it really picks up some great accounts of the people who found it or looked into it. I think specifically of the man who came across it but wouldn't reveal it's location for a while, and also the historical detective type lady known as Goldfinger.
Sherry
Jan 11, 2015 Sherry rated it really liked it
I would not normally pick up this genre of book but glad I did. Not being a Civil War buff I was a little confused when it jumped around different periods of history.

I was surprised that the people who invented and built the Hunley were able to find so many willing volunteers to man it. Especially with it's history or prior sinkings.

It just goes to show the dedication of the confederates to win at all costs.

I admired the people who raised it up and are restoring it. I can't imagine going into
Kathy
Dec 05, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, nonfiction
Mildly interesting: I'd heard of the Civil War era Hunley (the 1st submarine in history to successfully torpedo a ship) but hadn't realized that when it sank after its success that it was actually the 3rd time it had gone down, killing its crew. It made the bravery (or desperation) of the volunteer crew all the more remarkable. I listened to this as an audiobook, and didn't realize that it was so old (from 2002). When the book was published they had come to no conclusion as to what ultimately ki ...more
Amy
May 05, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Interesting book. I was especially surprised to learn that they still don't have all the answers about the H. L. Hunley. Just this past January they found more data about it, and there may be more to come. They still have not removed the layer of concretion from the hull. This is an ongoing endeavor.

I thought this book was a nice balance of Civil War era naval warfare, and modern day shipwreck discovery and archaeology. Several photos were included in the historical portions of the text, but the
Todd Stockslager
Jun 09, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Straightforward account of the history of the first submarine used in a wartime attack, and the story of its recovery 135 years later after it disappeared following its one and only mission.

Great history, OK writing. Co-author Hicks, Brian
Josh Stottman
Jun 14, 2016 Josh Stottman rated it it was amazing
This was such a cool book, with the history of the HL Hunley (whose namesake was born in Sumner County TN BTW) and the subsequent decades of trying to find it, and then raising it from the bottom and the painstaking excavation, all culminating to make this one of the most interesting reads in a long time.
Jim
just saw that this is abridged, explains the occasional choppiness/flatness of the writing.
Nathan
May 06, 2013 Nathan rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this and would recommend it to any student of history, the U.S. Civil War, or if you're a fan of shipwrecks. The book takes you through the history of the Hunley itself, during the Civil War, and then the decades, actually century long search to recover it. Both stories are interesting and remarkable. Highly recommended.
David R.
Dec 31, 2013 David R. rated it it was amazing
A brisk and fascinating account of the building, loss and recovery of the Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley. The authors are fixtures in South Carolina journalism and have a good feel for a story that keeps the pages turning. There's also nice sensitivity to the process of archaeology: this is not a "treasure hunter" book.
Bonnie Carruth
Jul 18, 2012 Bonnie Carruth rated it really liked it
A combination of civil War history, overview of the development of the submarine service and Clive Cussler adventure, he even plays a pivotal part in the hunt for the C.S.S Hunley.The only gold found is a twenty dollar gold piece but that one artifact makes the entire search worthwhile.
Ryan
Jan 31, 2008 Ryan rated it liked it
I lived in Charleston, SC for a year, and most of this book takes place there, so it was good to hear about the history of a place that, aside the weather and the "smell", I enjoyed living.
Eugene Abbey
Nov 20, 2010 Eugene Abbey rated it really liked it
Well written and a really fascinating look at a piece of civil war history that I did not know much about until I read this book. I highly recommend it for civil war buffs.
Dutchess
read ing this book as part of a class assignment, but unexpectantly, I am enjoying this book. its very entertaing
Kittrell Rushing
Very readable - which is appropriate because the author is an excellent journalist
Christopher
Jan 21, 2011 Christopher rated it it was ok
I couldn't finish this one. Just couldn't arouse the interest.
Robert Kaufman
Oct 18, 2012 Robert Kaufman rated it it was amazing
Very good account of a time before subs were fully developed.
Jessica Runyon
Jessica Runyon marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it did not like it
Aug 13, 2016
Lynette  Lee (J.Kirby)
Lynette Lee (J.Kirby) marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Carla
Carla marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Mary Patrick
Mary Patrick marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
SkipO
SkipO rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Steve Parcell
Steve Parcell marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Syd
Syd rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Deidre
Deidre marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
  • Submerged: Adventures of America's Most Elite Underwater Archeology Team
  • South Carolina: A History
  • Doin' the Charleston: Black Roots of American Popular Music & the Jenkins Orphanage Legacy
  • Westmoreland's War: Reassessing American Strategy in Vietnam
  • The South Was Right!
  • Gettysburg: The Graphic History of America's Most Famous Battle and the Turning Point of The Civil War
  • The Filthy Thirteen: From the Dustbowl to Hitler's Eagle's Nest - The True Story of the 101st Airborne's Most Legendary Squad of Combat Paratroopers
  • Deliver Us From Darkness: The Untold Story of Third Battalion 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment during Market Garden (General Military)
  • Colditz: The Full Story
  • The Oxford Illustrated History of the First World War
  • The Pacific War Companion: From Pearl Harbor to Hiroshima
  • Battle at Sea: 3,000 Years of Naval Warfare
  • The Memoirs of Field Marshal Montgomery: Of Alamein, K.G.
  • I Love Paul Revere, Whether He Rode or Not
  • The First Eagles: The American Pilots Who Flew With the British, Became Aces, and Won World War I
  • The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government, Volume 1
  • Stay the Rising Sun: The True Story of USS Lexington, Her Valiant Crew, and Changing the Course of World War II
  • Flying the SR-71 Blackbird: In the Cockpit on a Secret Operational Mission