Start by marking “Raising the Hunley: The Remarkable History and Recovery of the Lost Confederate Submarine” as Want to Read:

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The history of the Confederate submarine "H. L. Hunley" is as astonishing as its disappearance. On February 17, 1864, after a legendary encounter with a Union battleship, the iron "fish boat" vanished without a trace somewhere off the coast of South Carolina. For more than a century the fate of the "Hunley" remained one of the great unsolved mysteries of the Civil War. The ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Presidio Press (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Raising the Hunley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raising the Hunley

John Adams by David McCullough1776 by David McCulloughTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinThe Guns of August by Barbara W. TuchmanThe Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer
Best History Books
396th out of 1,525 books — 1,399 voters
Gone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Killer Angels by Michael ShaaraCold Mountain by Charles FrazierTeam of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinThe Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
American Civil War Books
124th out of 209 books — 147 voters

More lists with this book...

Sy De Witt
I started this book on the flight to Miami on Saturday, August 25, 2012 and thanks to Tropical Storm Isaac, finished it on Sunday, August 26th.

Given my interest in the Civil War, in the narrative the author mentioned many names of persons and places with which I was very familiar.

I was surprised (but shouldn't have been) at the clashes of egos over the search for the missing "fish boat" and subsequently for which state would benefit from its raising and ultimately get to keep it.
Elliott
Not only is it a good account of the Hunley, but it really picks up some great accounts of the people who found it or looked into it. I think specifically of the man who came across it but wouldn't reveal it's location for a while, and also the historical detective type lady known as Goldfinger.
Sherry
I would not normally pick up this genre of book but glad I did. Not being a Civil War buff I was a little confused when it jumped around different periods of history.

I was surprised that the people who invented and built the Hunley were able to find so many willing volunteers to man it. Especially with it's history or prior sinkings.

It just goes to show the dedication of the confederates to win at all costs.

I admired the people who raised it up and are restoring it. I can't imagine going into
Kathy
Mildly interesting: I'd heard of the Civil War era Hunley (the 1st submarine in history to successfully torpedo a ship) but hadn't realized that when it sank after its success that it was actually the 3rd time it had gone down, killing its crew. It made the bravery (or desperation) of the volunteer crew all the more remarkable. I listened to this as an audiobook, and didn't realize that it was so old (from 2002). When the book was published they had come to no conclusion as to what ultimately ki ...more
Amy
Interesting book. I was especially surprised to learn that they still don't have all the answers about the H. L. Hunley. Just this past January they found more data about it, and there may be more to come. They still have not removed the layer of concretion from the hull. This is an ongoing endeavor.

I thought this book was a nice balance of Civil War era naval warfare, and modern day shipwreck discovery and archaeology. Several photos were included in the historical portions of the text, but the
Nathan
I really enjoyed this and would recommend it to any student of history, the U.S. Civil War, or if you're a fan of shipwrecks. The book takes you through the history of the Hunley itself, during the Civil War, and then the decades, actually century long search to recover it. Both stories are interesting and remarkable. Highly recommended.
David R.
A brisk and fascinating account of the building, loss and recovery of the Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley. The authors are fixtures in South Carolina journalism and have a good feel for a story that keeps the pages turning. There's also nice sensitivity to the process of archaeology: this is not a "treasure hunter" book.
Bonnie Carruth
A combination of civil War history, overview of the development of the submarine service and Clive Cussler adventure, he even plays a pivotal part in the hunt for the C.S.S Hunley.The only gold found is a twenty dollar gold piece but that one artifact makes the entire search worthwhile.
Ryan
I lived in Charleston, SC for a year, and most of this book takes place there, so it was good to hear about the history of a place that, aside the weather and the "smell", I enjoyed living.
Eugene Abbey
Well written and a really fascinating look at a piece of civil war history that I did not know much about until I read this book. I highly recommend it for civil war buffs.
Dutchess
read ing this book as part of a class assignment, but unexpectantly, I am enjoying this book. its very entertaing
Kittrell Rushing
Very readable - which is appropriate because the author is an excellent journalist
Christopher
I couldn't finish this one. Just couldn't arouse the interest.
Robert Kaufman
Very good account of a time before subs were fully developed.
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2015
Lacey Holley
Lacey Holley marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Aishuu
Aishuu marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Meta Brown
Meta Brown marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ghost Ship: The Mysterious True Story of the Mary Celeste and Her Missing Crew When the Dancing Stopped: The Real Story of the Morro Castle Disaster and Its Deadly Wake Toward the Setting Sun: John Ross, the Cherokees and the Trail of Tears Profit from the Peak: The End of Oil and the Greatest Investment Event of the Century Ghost Ship