Healing the Heart of Democracy: The Courage to Create a Politics Worthy of the Human Spirit

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  210 ratings  ·  51 reviews
At a critical time in American life, Parker J. Palmer looks with realism and hope at how to deal with our political tensions for the sake of the common good--without the shouting, blaming, or defaming so common in our politics today.

In his newest book, Parker J. Palmer builds on his own extensive experience as an inner life explorer and social change activist to examine th

Published (first published January 1st 2011)

Elizabeth
Parker Palmer has some important, insightful, and inspiring ideas about democracy, but I often found myself bored with this book, only becoming interested when he illustrated his philosophical point with a real-world example. (So this criticism may be more about my lack of attention span than Palmer's writing, but so be it.)

Nevertheless, this is worth a read: talking about everything from the decline of public spaces to partisanship to our educational system, Palmer argues that we need to streng...more
Michael Kruse
I have really appreciated Parker Palmer's books over the years but this book is a profound disappointment. I quit reading at the halfway point. If you are a liberal/progressive, then I suspect you may enjoy the book. It plays very well into the meme that at core of the discord in our country are conservatives. I can't help but feel that Palmer missed an opportunity.

I know he is a Quaker pacifist. I've suspected his political views were to the left based on other writing I've seen. I have no pro...more
Ruth
Aug 31, 2012 Ruth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in government,citizenship
Recommended to Ruth by: my church
Healing the Heart of Democracy is a book assigned to me as a study book in a class at my church. It's purpose was to examine the role of the individual in matters of the heart, the home, the community, and the government. The author believes the danger of losing our Democracy as we know it is a probabilty without participation from all individuals, each of us working to strengthen our democratic way of life by listening to each other and working together for the main good.. "Good citizenship is...more
Kate
Tired of the sniping, nastiness and cynicism in Washington D.C.? So is Parker Palmer. In his usual attempt to be a redemptive thinker, Palmer gives us a clear-eyed assessment of the situation, describing the broken-heartedness of our democracy. And again, as usual, he calls us to our better selves--to quote Abraham Lincoln--"the better angels of our nature." This is not the usual language heard around the beltway, but it's quite refreshing to hear from a wise, hopeful man about one way he can fi...more
Read  Ribbet
A gift from Kathy Champeau, I wanted to see what Parker Palmer had to say on this topic. Some I know follow his work religiously. Others like to quote him for inspiration while their actions seem to suggest otherwise. The tone of the book is somewhat somber and we come to learn at the end that Palmer found it hard to embracce writing on this topic. His own concern about where society is at after years of writing on compassion and wisdom must be a bit disheartening, but he remains hope-filled tha...more
Pam
Did this for book club, Pauline and I were the only two who finished it. That said, it gave me a truly good grasp on our private, public and political lives. We need to develop the habits of the heart that fuel and support democracy. I am so tired of people thinking participation In the political process is a waste of energy. Parker reminds us that we are democracy at its best and if we choose so, at its worst.
Loved this book, he has a great command of language, lots of epigrammatic phrases for...more
Gail Rogers
I agree with Parker Palmer that we as citizens need to step out of apathy or hopelessness and engage our hearts with our intellects to make our democracy work for all of us. He recommends living in the tension between how we envision the world and how we see it actually working. I found when I went deeper into that tension it just took me into a dark place. Maybe I already live in that tension.

Parker Palmer did say that he had just come out of a depression when he wrote it. He suggests organizin...more
Marilynoregan
This book is the best antidote I know for confronting the apathy and, worse, defeatism that I can find in myself in the face of the ongoing barrage of bad news and pessimism that assault us daily. Yes, democracy can be preserved if we can reactivate the "habits of the heart" that permit us to be We the People. And this book by one of my favorite authors goes well beyond nice thoughts to practical ways to begin to restore our democracy to health.
Brent Ladd
Palmer weaves his own experiences over the years throughout the book. Essentially, the final two chapters help bring the message into focus. I had a hard time getting a spark going through the first 4/5 of the book. I did feel the final chapter brings it into perspective. Palmer is a fan of allowing ourselves to be okay to sit in the moments of "tension" and to "hold the tension" between dark and light, left and right, wrong and right, etc. and allow the heart time to listen and to eventually sp...more
Eric
Right on the money about this culture's illness and how, together, we can heal our democratic society. Ultimately, our problems will not be solved through political answers, but through a collective awakening of the heart.
Brent Bill
An amazing book that is much needed at this time. I highly recommend it to all who are concerned about faith, politics, civility, and the "soul" of the United States.
Chuck Peters
Core concepts are powerful. References are insightful. Challenge to media worth taking up.
Beverly Atkinson
I plan to finish reading this book, with close attention, but it was due in the public library today (June 1, 2012). I'll resume with page 77. The core, for me, is Palmer's explanation of "Five Habits of the Heart." The one most challenging for me is to participate (openly) in conversations with others who may have perspectives different from mine, at least as far as I can tell. In the rest of the book Palmer will likely explain (or tell stories about) how one can have the courage to participate...more
hilaryhail
Another great from Parker Palmer. He is arguing for us to be publicly heartbroken.

I appreciated the notes on the paradoxical nature of political and spiritual life, especially the references in the early part of the book about Abraham Lincoln. Parker (and biographer Joshua Shenk) argue that Lincoln was better able to lead because he knew the dark so intimately.

Also, liked the closing notes about measuring ourselves by faithfulness rather than effectiveness. "When faithfulness is our standard, w...more
Dnicebear
Yes! I want to be involved in democracy that stays rooted in reality while dreaming of possibility and is willing to enter the gap between the two to bring it about. Parker Palmer has encouraged me in previous books to see myself as a teacher and to let my life speak. Now, I'm with him again into this exploration into being part of "we the people" in a way that allows respect and true sharing of who we are. "Life in the company of strangers" really seems possible here, and in a way that honors t...more
Lily
I recommend this book highly. (I try to give five stars to only a small percentage of the books I read, so don't be put off by four stars. Here, they say this book is one to definitely consider, especially in this election year.)

The first two chapters read rather like platitudes to me, but by the time I got into the third chapter, my own reaction was that the writing had more depth than just good feel ideas. I have been participating in a discussion group reading the book and we have had deeply...more
Meepspeeps
The author makes important points about teaching our children how to be participating citizens, not just wall ourselves off via limited social networks. By being "in the public square" we're more likely to run into peeps whose opinions and life experiences differ from ours, and have enriching conversations as a result. About 70% of Americans he estimates have this opportunity; the remaining 30% are polarized, vocal, and ill-informed on both the far right and far left, dominating headlines and po...more
Bruce
A truly exceptional work. Palmer manages in a relatively small book both to present a new vocabulary for discussing and participating in politics while keeping the language accessible and the tone passionate. Realistic about contemporary American politics, but also hopeful and encouraging about the future.
Michael
I liked this book. It engaged me, it made me think, it brought many things to mind for my own projects. So much of what he writes about in this book is an attempt to get we humans, and particular we humans in the United States, to really pay attention to our hearts - our own and those of our friends and strangers around us. As he reflects on the American experiment - he continually pushes us to see the long view and to continually go deeper inside ourselves and inside our communities - to trust...more
Maughn Gregory
I've developed a deep fascination with the relationships between progressive political activism and contemplative practices. Gandhi. Jacob Needleman. Parker Palmer. Palmer is the most explicit about the many ways in which the two realms of practice need each other: self-work and working on the world. Meditation and marching. Strident witnessing and deep listening. This book is a modern classic in the prophetic tradition that calls us to fight inner and outer injustice at the same time.
Aaron
This book is so sincere, and so complete and humble. I can see why so many politician aspiring to a better world like it so much. I've just read it three times as it is part of study I've done on leadership and his ideas hold together so well... every time I thought some connection had been missed, I realized that it was there all along. I really like his ideas about meeting and embracing the shadow and that leadership has something to do with including the "other."
David
Having read books by Parker Palmer before, I was not surprised to feel challenged and uplifted by this one. Politics make my blood boil, so it is very helpful to have someone with views similar to my own model a healing approach to the topic. Not giving up my furious partisanship or my disgust with the failings on my side of that divide, but still glad that I read this sensible and inspiring book.
Jeff
Parker Palmer challenges us to confront our basic humanity as we interact with each other in the political realm. Every part of human interaction does come down to something "spiritual;" although Palmer does not use "spiritual" language. He talks about courage and living within the natural tensions in life. Following his prescriptions should lead to an energetic, forceful, yet peaceful politic.
Silke
There isn't anything that Parker Palmer has written that I don't find worth reading, absorbing, and sharing. My kudos to Parker Palmer for taking the concept "Habits of the Heart," which also happens to be the title of a sociological must-read (Bellah et al. 1985/1996/2008) that connects with Palmer's work nicely, a level closer to application. Palmer's style is eminently readable and enjoyable.
Robert D. Cornwall
This is a must read book, especially right now. It speaks to the crisis we face and calls us to find ways of reclaiming and rebuilding the institution of democracy. I'll have a full review soon, but please read this book for the good of the nation and our local communities.

This is my book of the year!
Elizabeth
Palmer speaks from the heart and from his own experience as a community organizer. His insight into why American Democracy is broken and how we can listen to one another and act from the heart is compelling. I found his last three chapters to be most helpful in thinking about how to connect with people in the community to forge solid relationships and solve important problems.
Martha
Palmer said this was his hardest book to write, and I had a hard time reading it - in part because the topic is so important and I don’t have a lot of optimism right now. But I did glean some good things, and particularly enjoyed a few pages he had about strategies some neighborhoods had used to increase their sense of community.
Joe Matson
Some interesting ideas and beautiful writing. I think implementing Palmer's strategies from the book would be difficult; perhaps it would be easier through workshops/training. But creatively holding tension seems essential for long-term, respectful, productive dialog between people with profound disagreements.
Kifflie
A very timely book for me personally. Recently I had become very disenchanted with politics. Parker Palmer nailed much of what I had been seeing and feeling but was unable to articulate. I am looking forward to exploring his ideas further through training with leaders from the Center for Courage and Renewal.
Matt
Though he can be repetitive and a bit too sentimental at times, Palmer writes a good analysis of democracy here. He provides some real insight into the nature of democracy, what's gone wrong with our version of it, and what it might take to start to set it right again. Good book.
  • A Public Faith: How Followers of Christ Should Serve the Common Good
  • The Rapture Exposed: The Message of Hope in the Book of Revelation
  • Spiritual Literacy: Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life
  • Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • Souls in Transition: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of Emerging Adults
  • Ecoliterate: How Educators Are Cultivating Emotional, Social, and Ecological Intelligence
  • We Make the Road by Walking: Conversations on Education and Social Change
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us
  • Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
  • Red Letter Revolution: What If Jesus Really Meant What He Said?
  • A Theology of Liberation
  • The Pope and Mussolini: The Secret History of Pius XI and the Rise of Fascism in Europe
  • The Democracy Project: A History, a Crisis, a Movement
  • How the Way We Talk Can Change the Way We Work: Seven Languages for Transformation
  • Founding Faith: Providence, Politics, and the Birth of Religious Freedom in America
Parker J. Palmer (Madison, WI) is a writer, teacher and activist whose work speaks deeply to people in many walks of life. Author of eight books--including the bestsellers Courage to Teach, Let Your Life Speak, and A Hidden Wholeness--his writing has been recognized with ten honorary doctorates and many national awards, including the 2010 William Rainey Harper Award (previously won by Margaret Mea...more
More about Parker J. Palmer...
Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation The Courage to Teach: Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life To Know as We are Known: Education as a Spiritual Journey The Active Life: A Spirituality of Work, Creativity, and Caring