CANNIBAL NIGHTS Pacific Stories, Volume II

CANNIBAL NIGHTS Pacific Stories, Volume II

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  15 reviews
From bestselling Hawaiian author, Kiana Davenport, comes CANNIBAL NIGHTS, Pacific Stories Volume II, a follow-up to her bestselling collection, HOUSE OF SKIN, PRIZE-WINNING STORIES.

Here are provocative and shocking tales of family, love, betrayal, terrorism, murder, rape, revenge all set in the Pacific Islands of Hawaii, Tonga, Easter Island, Tahiti, the Marquesas, Austr...more
Published (first published July 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about CANNIBAL NIGHTS Pacific Stories, Volume II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CANNIBAL NIGHTS Pacific Stories, Volume II

Realini
Bones of the Inner Ear by Kiana Davenport

And Now for Something Completely Different – this is the title of an excellent Monty Python comedy and the idea of this story-a different outlook, background.
Kiana Davenport, unfamiliar to me until this morning, is a Hawaiian writer, a group of writers that I may grow familiar with and which now numbers one: Ms. Davenport.
The premises couldn’t be more extravagant and exciting: the Hawaiian Islands. At the same time, I was flabbergasted, outraged by the vi...more
Deborah
I remember once reading an interview with William Trevor (a master if ever there was one) in which he made the point that short stories are intended to be read as ‘stand-alones’; it was, in fact (or so the story goes) a conversation between Trevor and Alexander Waugh that gave rise to the U.K.-based Travelman Publishing, where commuters can buy, via vending machines, a short story that ‘folds like a map’ on their way to or from work. Of course, now we have Kindle singles.

Then again, it’s so ofte...more
Shawn Davis
A person gets in a mood for short stories sometimes. You want to start and finish something in one sitting - maybe you don't feel like extended concentration or your mind isn't retaining much for very long these days.

Cannibal Nights is several short stories which take place among the islands of Oceana. We are with the women of Rapa Nui as their civilization tries to outsmart the slavers. We are with the Aborigines of Australia as the most promising among them learn what happens to the nail that...more
Robert Carraher
Brutally beautiful. As noirishly dark as the deep depths of the Pacific Ocean that spawned them. These stories of the people, places, exploits and exploitations of the islands of the Pacific will haunt you long after you close the book. Important literature for the 21st century. They are stories of tragedy and triumph, genius and depravity. Tales of love and betrayal told in a voice at times as soft and reassuring as the whisper of the sea yet as powerful as a tsunami. There is perhaps no better...more
Jan Strnad
I checked into Cannibal Nights because of the Penguin controversy. Penguin Books had Kiana Davenport under contract for a print novel scheduled for release in 2012. In 2011, Davenport self-published this collection of stories, which Penguin had previously rejected, and Penguin had a fit, accusing her of "sleeping with the enemy," their competitor(?) Amazon. They cancelled her novel contract and demanded their advance back.

This expression of woefully misguided publisher pique attracted my attenti...more
Molly
A nice collection of stories, with plenty of strong moments.

I appreciated Davenport's creation of female characters who did surprising things, who were strong leaders.

I also learned a great deal, including this tidbit:

"In the nineteenth century the first paved road in Vava'u had been constructed using convicts as labor. From the center of town to the top of a steep hill where the Paradise now stood, convicted adulteresses had been forced to excavate huge rocks by hand. For almost two years, whi...more
Linda Rae
OMG...Just finished the first story and when I get finished crying my eyes out, I'll move on to the next one!

Great job, Kiana!

This is a great little book! One story after another of the peoples of the Pacific isles and how they have dealt with the pressures put upon them by the expectations of the rest of the world. Religion, prejudice, rape, kidnapping/slavery, and disease. All presented in an series individuals' story of how they handled or succumbed to those pressures. Some of the material is...more
Abigail Hilton
This is an amazing collection of stories, including some of the saddest I've ever read. The stories center around Polynesia women and their relationships with the west and with modern culture. However, male characters are certainly not short-changed in the complexity department. I'm glad the collection ended on a hopeful note, because there are some dark-as-hell stories in here. This collection is not for the weak of heart or the weak of stomach, but it is rewarding for those who brave its pages...more
D.S. Walker
Sep 06, 2012 D.S. Walker is currently reading it
Kiana's draws you into her short stories and makes you fall in love with her characters. I admit I have only finished the first short story so far, but I'm in love with Kiana's writing style. I can relate to the characters and I can clearly visualize the scenes in "Assassin Orders Peking Duck." Living in Hawaii, I also love that much of the story also takes place here.
glitrbug
I can't tell you how much I loved this book. Couldn't do it justice. Ms. Davenport is one of those gifted writers that entertains you, teaches you and makes you think. The book is kind of like one of those old travelogs people went to before cable TV and the internet. You get to travel to a different time and place and learn about other people's lives.
Kathie
I am not a fan of books of short stories but this one was entertaining. I learned more about the legends and history of some of the Pacific Islands. Entertaining for the most part, some finished just as I was wondering how many more pages were left. I was saddened and disturbed by one of the later stories about Australians from the Outback.
Suzanne
Very interesting collection of stories -- not all as engrossing as her novels which I loved. All are about people damaged in someway -- by alcoholism, absentee parents, etc. Fascinating read!
Al Canary
DL'd to Kindle 9-22.... Finished on 9/29. Not as great of some of Davenport's other work, but a nice little collection of short stories.
Paola
Brilliant book - review will follow.
Michael Logan
3.5, but rounding up to 4.
Edyta Lydon
Edyta Lydon marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Monica Dowell
Monica Dowell marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Kuuelau
Kuuelau marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Coral
Coral marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Tracie McBride
Tracie McBride marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Tabitha Wood
Tabitha Wood marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Dory
Dory marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Toriana Zeyzus
Toriana Zeyzus marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Shark Dialogues Song of the Exile House of Many Gods Spy Lover, The: A Novel House of Skin: Prize-Winning Stories