Start by marking “The Husband” as Want to Read:
The Husband

The Husband

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  36,614 Ratings  ·  1,569 Reviews
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

We have your wife. You get her back for two million cash. On an ordinary afternoon, an ordinary man, a gardener of modest means, gets a phone call out of his worst nightmare. The caller is dead serious. He doesn’t care that Mitch can’t raise that kind of money. If she’s everything to you, then you’ll find a way.

Mitch loves his wife more than
Published June 26th 2012 by Bantam (first published May 30th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Husband, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Husband

Alejandro
Jul 07, 2015 Alejandro rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, romance, novel
I liked it but it wasn't as good as my old Koontz's books

BACK TO KOONTZ

There was a while since I had read a new novel by Dean Koontz, well, at least a new novel to me, and I was quite excited to read this one.

I thought that the premise was very good...

A husband is threatened by some unknown people kidnapping his wife and demanding two million dollars, that indeed he doesn't have and he hadn't the least clue of how to get it.

The book is divided in three parts, and I think that the first part
Todd Greene
Feb 12, 2008 Todd Greene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults, teens
I've always thought of Dean Koontz as the master of psychological suspense. His novels are aways full of weird and over the top characters that he makes believable and then he puts them in situations which are weird and over the top and makes them believable.

This time around Dean changes things up a bit. He takes an average Joe and puts him in a seemingly no win situation. Mitch Rafferty, owner of a two man landscaping business gets the phone call no husband would want. Someone has his wife. Tha
Christine
Jun 27, 2007 Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2007
I thought it started well... with a twist that surprised me and captured my interest. From there, it just got less and less believable. From a storytelling standpoint, it was marginal, but as a quality piece of writing it was much worse. It felt churned out, quickly crafted without much afterthought other than the meticulous use of landscaping vocabulary. I'll say this for it, though, there weren't a lot of words on the page so I didn't waste a lot of time getting to the end.
Rachel
Jan 02, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in about a day, and I really enjoyed it. One of the things I love about reading a Dean Koontz book is that I can pretty much tell just by the fact that he wrote it that it will be a good read.

This book follows a man who is trying to ransom his kidnapped wife. It explores the elastic nature of human morality and is full of twists and turns. Mitch (the protagonist) is a simple gardener who finds his life turned upside down in the blink of an eye. He is forced to alter his entire p
Maciek
This books contains the funniest simile ever: The man character drives his car and is accompanied by The hobgoblins of wind. Yes, HOBGOBLINS OF WIND.

Okay, so I've read The Husband when it came out and forgot it entirely. Deciding to write a review of it, I grabbed a paperback and began to read.

The Husband is one of those airport books that will keep your attention during the flight, but you can leave them on the plane without feeling any guilt. Character development is practically nonexistant.
Nahibya
Estuvo bueno, la verdad. No fue increíble ni me cambió la vida, me molestaron varias partes, sobretodo el final, pero fue entretenido.

Vídeoreseña: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-FIr...
Natalie Monroe
One would expect with a storyline revolving around an average Joe struggling to ransom his kidnapped wife back that it'd be super intense and keep me on the edge of my seat, right?

It dragged on and on and the writing wasn't something I'd expect from a bestselling author. It was sketchy and the dialogue at times was just plain awkward.

There were some moments that made me sit up, but those were far and in-between and mostly had to do with the wife, Holly. The husband, Mitch was a fucking pansy and
Lena
Jul 12, 2016 Lena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este tipo de novela no es algo que acostumbre a leer, usualmente las evito para ser honesta, pero luego de terminar "El Marido" siento una fe renovada en este tipo de historias y solo quiero conseguir más libros de Dean Koontz. La trama de esta novela puede no ser tan creíble, al igual que ciertos momentos de su desarrollo, pero creo que la exploración que se hace sobre qué es capaz uno de hacer por quién ama y sobre qué es la maldad y los efectos que ésta tiene cuando estas en contacto directo ...more
Amir Atef
Jan 25, 2015 Amir Atef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

زوجتك في قبضتنا، يمكنك استعادتها مقابل 2 مليون دولار، نقدًا، أمامك ستون ساعة
we've your wife, you can get her back for 2 millions dollars ... cash
ستون ساعة؟!! ... مليوني دولار ؟!!! ...
لكن كيف ؟!! فأنا مجرد بستاني بائس .. يا إلهي الرحيم . ماذا أفعل ؟
" Mitch Rafferty ميتش ريفيرتي "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
رواية "الزوج" للكاتب الفريد من نوعه "دين
Graham
Dec 28, 2008 Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Although Dean Koontz isn’t quite as successful as Stephen King, he’s certainly been writing for a long time now, almost as long as King himself. In the old days he used to do supernatural horrors but these days he seems to have re-branded himself as a thriller writer, and there’s no doubting that he’s extremely prolific – I see new books coming out from him all the time. The Husband was released a couple of years ago and it’s familiar territory for thriller fans: a seemingly innocuous man finds ...more
3houd
Nov 01, 2015 3houd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ميتش هو مزارع مخلص و طيب القلب و يحب زوجته هولي. فجأة يتلقى ميتش اتصالا من مجهول يخبره أن زوجته مخطوفة و لكي يستعيدها عليه أن يعطيهم مليوني دولار. و لإثبات جديتهم يطلقون النار على رجل عابر في الشارع أمام ميتش.
يتخبط ميتش في عالمه, لم اختاره الخاطفون بالذات؟ فهو لا يملك أكثر من عشرة آلاف دولار في البنك.
لأي حد قد يصل الزوج المحب كي ينقذ زوجته؟ هل يموت لأجلها؟ هل يقتل لأجلها؟
بأي قدر تعرف الناس المحيطة بك؟ ما الشيء الذي قد يطلق الوحش في داخلك؟ هل يقتصر الوحش على صورة الشخص أحمر العينين منكوش الشعر؟
ل
Emily
May 09, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book in the attic of a house i just moved into, after spending the day lugging around heavy boxes and sorting thru everything i thought why not take a break and read a few chapters, well turns out this is not one of those books you can read for a couple chapters at a time, as soon as i picked it up and started reading i found myself competely unable to stop! Before i knew it i had read the entire book anaware of how much time had passed!! It seems to me that the majority of the book ...more
James
Nov 09, 2011 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-hated
First Impressions:

What I liked about The Husband has to do with the husband's reactions to the news that his wife has been kidnapped and the kidnappers seem to have unlimited resources and can kill him at any time.

Plots (some spoilers):

His name is Mitch, and he lives a good life as a gardener. He knows he does not have the money. Later the criminals get him to get his brother Anson involved, who, it turns out, is a criminal himself. The kidnappers know this and want to pull one over on Anson.
Heather
Mar 20, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather by: co-worker
Shelves: borrowed
Bark's Book Nonsense
I listened to this on audio today and it was such a disappointment. No humor, no golden retriever's and a bland leading man who finds himself in an unthinkable situation when his wife is kidnapped & held for a ransom he can't possibly meet (he's a gardener). Chaos ensues, secrets are revealed and it all ends relatively well. It had its moments of suspense but overall was a pretty blah Koontz novel. Not horrid but nothing I'd be interested in reading again.
Efka
Jul 16, 2015 Efka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Neišskirtinis, bet greitas ir smagus skaitalas, nors ir menkai tikėtina fabula, bet visai neblogai parašytas. Nieko mandro, jokių išskirtinių aplinkybių, jokio netikėto siužeto posūkio finale ar panašių triukų - nuo pat pradžios daugmaž aišku, kurlink viskas eina, ir tai vyksta stabiliai bei kryptingai. Po poros metų turbūt jau būsiu pamiršęs, bet kaip vieno vakaro skaitinys - visai neblogas.
Jessica
Sep 24, 2016 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All my reviews are at: www.jessicasreadingroom.com

The premise of the book catches your attention and pulls you in. The actual novel not so much.

The Husband is divided into three parts. The first part is very good. Mitchell (Mitch) Rafferty is a landscaper and working a job when he receives a call that his wife has been kidnapped. And the kidnappers want $2 Million cash. He has 60 hours to get the money and they know he is a gardener with limited means. They let him know they are serious by shoo
Γιώργος Δάμτσιος
Το συγκεκριμένο μυθιστόρημα του Koontz με κέρδισε εξαρχής, από την ευφυέστατη ιδέα που κατευθύνει την πλοκή. Ένας απλός κηπουρός πρέπει ξαφνικά να βρει 2 εκατομμύρια δολάρια για να σώσει τη γυναίκα του από τους απαγωγείς της. Κι αυτός έχει στην τράπεζά του μόλις μερικές χιλιάδες.

Χωρίς φανφάρες λοιπόν, αλλά με μια σειρά σκληρών σκηνών, καθώς και με μπόλικη δράση και ανατροπές, ο Koontz καταφέρνει και πάλι να δημιουργήσει ένα πολύ δυνατό βιβλίο. Δε θα το συγκατέλεγα στα κορυφαία του, αλλά νομίζω
Edward Lorn
THE HUSBAND Review This could possibly be the last good Dean Koontz novel. I only say "possibly" because I have yet to read RELENTLESS, which was published after this one, and do not hold high hopes for me liking it.

Written in 2006, three years after the stellar debut of Pico Mundo's paranormally-inclined fry cook, THE HUSBAND avoids all the typical Koontz trappings. There's no witty/sarcastic narrator, no uber smart Golden, no blond female lead, no unrealistic dialogue, absolutely zero filler,
Josen
Feb 24, 2016 Josen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-library, audio
"Be sure. Evil has a cockroach endurance. Be sure." --- so true.

This is my 9th Dean Koontz book but yet between this and the last it's been years. I'm not exactly sure why I strayed away from Koontz but I'm glad I rediscovered him. I listened to this book on audio and even though I wasn't entirely thrilled with the narrator, I got past it. The story was about a guy whose wife had been kidnapped and was ransomed for 2 million dollars. The guy was a gardener. Where would he get that kind of money?
Suha
توجد روايات مثل الافلام وهذه واحدة منهن، اول مرة اقرا لدين كونتز اعجبني اسلوبه ووصفه للأشياء يجعل القارئ يدخل في جو الاحداث، لم استطع النوم الا وقد اكملتها.
Carl Alves
I decided to read this novel with some reluctance since of late I seem to be disappointed with Dean Koontz’s novels. I read them because occasionally (at least with his older works) he hits a home run and the novel is terrific. The premise of the book is interesting enough. Mitch Rafferty’s wife is kidnapped and the kidnappers demand two millions dollars, something that is difficult since he is only a simple gardener.

The problem is the characterization in the novel. The novel is filled with one
Pupottina

Travolgente il ritmo narrativo di Dean Koontz che in IL MARITO inizia bene, ma poi si perde. Forse c'è un po' troppo da gestire per il protagonista Mitch, giardiniere squattrinato cui accade l'incredibile.
Una telefonata sconvolge la sua vita. Hanno rapito sua moglie e chiedono un riscatto talmente alto che lui non sa come procurarselo. I rapitori non scherzano e glielo dimostrano subito con un colpo di scena ad effetto: un cecchino uccide un passante dall'altro lato della strada dove Mitch lavor
Sarah ~
كَمْ أحببت ميتش ..
هذا الرجل المخلص والرائع ..
الذي تغلب على الصعوبات وقام بكل التضخيات ..
لينقذ زوجته الحبيبة ..
بما فيه عقد التربية التي قام بها والديه ..
وهي مشاكل لم يستطع شقيقه تجاوزها..
ميتش ..

هو من الرجال الذين تتساءل أي فتاة هل هو موجود حقاً ؟

أوصي بقراءة هذه الرواية وبشدة ..
Brett Tompkins
Feb 01, 2010 Brett Tompkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read quite a few Koontz novels in High School and really enjoyed them. I've been reading some of his older stuff over the last couple years and I don't enjoy them as much as I used to. Some are very good, and some are difficult to get through. The Husband was different than his typical supernatural/horror novels that I've always known him for. I know that he didn't want to get stuck in one genre, so I'm sure that this novel was written to prove that he can write suspensful thrillers in additio ...more
Christopher Jones
May 20, 2015 Christopher Jones rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My first novel by Koontz and it might've been my last had I not made it my life's mission to figure out why the guy was popular.

Characters: There are a generous handful of them. Mitch, the gardener protagonist. His brother. His parents. The Detective Taggart. The kidnappers. None of them are really developed, save for Mitch: his developmental arc centers around his realization that evil exists....except he already seemed to know it existed already. For all Koontz rantings about the fact that ev
Stephanie Dahlberg
Man, I really couldn't put this book down! I've read other book by Dean Koonz but this one will stick with me as a favorite. Here's the premise that sucked me in immediately:

Mitchell is an average guy who must suddenly deal with an impossible situation: the kidnapping of
his beloved wife. Worse, he hasn't got any possibility of paying the ransom of $2mil in any amount of time, let alone in the 48 hours demanded by the kidnappers. He's a gardener, for Heaven's sake!

One twist after another smacke
Diletta
Dovevo immaginarmelo che dopo aver letto I Fratelli Karamazov qualunque libro avrebbe fatto una figura barbina. Mi dispiace, caro Koontz, che questa triste sorte sia capitata proprio a te - sei un omino tanto simpatico e carino - ma su, non si può fare un paragone tra te e il mio mattacchione russo.
Sono sicura che non te la prenderai.

Allora, vediamo. Il marito è un libro interessante sotto tanti punti di vista.
La trama è presto detta. Mitch, il protagonista, un uomo qualunque - a Koontz pi
wally
Feb 03, 2011 wally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: koontz, favorites
this is an excellent story. this guy who makes more money than i do gets this call on his cell. some crazies have kidnapped his wife...his worker, iggy, is familiar...a boardhead who uses words like fully macking tubular stuff. okay, maybe he doesn't say 'tubular stuff' but you get the drift.

mitch isn't prepared..."his parents had raised him to be prey"....his folks are...sheesh, creepy and it doesn't stop there.

68 chapters of mayham. i read someone's review that disagreed w/mitch doing bad thi
Sebastian
Entertaining, but nothing to write home about

This book is fine, but Koontz has us used to getting better from him. The story is fast-paced and has a few interesting twists and turns, but I would have trouble to really point out anything that makes it special compared to run-of-the-mill suspense thrillers. The premise is interesting enough. Mitch, a blue collar working man that is happy with his gardening work and his wife, is shocked when he gets a call saying his wife has been kidnapped and the
What's your favourite thriller with an "ordinary" hero? 2 7 Apr 08, 2016 12:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update details 3 15 Mar 13, 2016 07:28AM
Ordinary heros 1 7 Apr 07, 2015 01:10PM
Koontzland - Dean...: The Husband (Group Read - February 2013) 71 108 Jun 19, 2014 08:57PM
The Husband 28 160 Oct 28, 2013 12:32PM
  • The Voice of the Night
  • Soft Come the Dragons / Dark of the Woods (Ace Double, 13793)
  • Chase
  • The Dean Koontz Companion
  • Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son
  • Dance with the Devil
  • The Manhattan Hunt Club
  • Invasion

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“A man begins dying at the moment of his birth. Most People live in denial of Death's patient courtship until, late in life and deep in sickness, they become aware of him sitting bedside.” 31 likes
“Stay with me, God. The night is dark, The night is cold: My little spark Of courage dies. The night is long; Be with me, God, and make me strong.” 3 likes