Start by marking “Twenty Years Later: Welcome Home to the Conquering Hero” as Want to Read:
Twenty Years Later: Welcome Home to the Conquering Hero

Twenty Years Later: Welcome Home to the Conquering Hero (Don't Read in the Closet Events)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Dear Author,
These two men have been through so much for the chance to truly be together - hiding no longer. Can you share a peek into their triumphant story and let us see who they are and who is watching over them in the world they can finally share?

Photo Description: Two naked sandy men kiss on the beach as men stand near. The crew-cut top cradles his dark-haired partner
Published August 2nd 2011 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Twenty Years Later, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twenty Years Later

SueM
Ryan - this was a great story. George and Patrick's reunion was nothing like their hope-filled dreams...Their pain when they realized that reality meant not only their dreams were scattered like ashes in the wind, but they would need to sacrifice a chunk of their current adult lives to actually be together, was very clear and real to me. The compromise worked beautifully though, and the epilogue was wonderful when Patrick's mother finally realized the significance of the ring George was wearing. ...more
Wendy Ann
I love reunions! I was hooked right from the start with the developing relationship between Patrick and George and then devastated when they were split apart. There are so many things that can come between people being together and I'm glad these guys had the courage to go for it! Great story!!!

Eve
Dec 30, 2013 Eve rated it it was amazing
A lovely well-written story about finding out whether your childhood love can be the love of your life.
Rachel
I loved this. So very sweet and emotional. I love that they found each other so many years later and I loved the little vignettes at the end. I love how it all fell into place for them and they were reunited. Thank you for a beautiful story!
Alex
May 12, 2014 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: dritc_2011_hsd
3.5* Love the vignettes at the end of the story. Also the consistent and unique writing style is appreciable. The story might me too ideal, but it still feels good.
Serena
Nov 01, 2014 Serena rated it really liked it
Ryan Loveless pulls off in approximately less than 10,000 words what most authors could have spent 150,000 words on. There is something I love about short stories that doesn't fall in with novel length books.

In 'Twenty Years Later: Welcome Home to the Conquering Hero' we meet George and Patrick, they met and fell in love at twelve in ninth grade, only to lose contact two years later...but fate gives them a second chance when twenty six years later they meet again.

Hope springs eternal, and there
Sadonna
Aug 10, 2011 Sadonna rated it liked it
Shelves: free, mm
Lovely story of first love and reunited love after 26 years of separation. But they never forgot.
Bettye Kanady
Nov 25, 2012 Bettye Kanady rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bettye by: Love is Always Write List
I really enjoyed this story. Seeing the past teenage Patrick and George meld with the present day men was a real treat. George had loved Patrick for 26 years and recognized the man that was there to help him at his firm; Patrick had loved George for 26 years but didn't realize at first who it was he was working with. The story gave us glimpses of the troubles in both of their pasts, but when they both decided to come clean and bring their relationship to light in the present time, it really was ...more
Stephen
While I liked the concept in the story and the plot development points, much of the actual prose added little to that plot development. The addenda at the end were the best part of this story for me.
Ann Roberts
Jan 04, 2012 Ann Roberts rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-read, free
I really enjoyed this look at two boys' relationship that grew from friendship to young love, then ended for about twenty years when they fell out of contact with one another. I especially found the dual marriage proposals adorable. I usually do not enjoy divorce mixed in with my romance, but this story treated it justly, and the wife was portrayed logically and gave the husband--a good father--at least partial custody or visitation rights, something that I am a proponent of. Finally, the vignet ...more
Lila Hunter
Jun 11, 2014 Lila Hunter rated it liked it
3.5 out of 5

A lovely story. This novelette would be great as a full lenght novel.

Loved the teacher story at the end.
Monique
Jan 28, 2014 Monique rated it really liked it
I love reunions! And this one was no different, I was swooning so hard over the fact that George still wore the ring after all that time and that Patrick had that photo with him everywhere he went!
Aniko
Oct 31, 2014 Aniko rated it really liked it
Karlijn
Delicious and very good!
Sandra
Jul 07, 2012 Sandra marked it as to-read

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group, Hot Summer Days event.

Photo description: Two naked sandy men kiss on the beach as men stand near. The crew-cut top cradles his dark-haired partner and almost blocks him from view. The other hooks his leg and arms around the first. He wears a ring on his pinky finger.
Rom-addict
May 06, 2012 Rom-addict rated it it was amazing
I loved this story.. Even though I don't usually give 5 stars to short stories but this one deserved it. I love that everlasting/childhood love. It was so cute at the beginning and really cool when Patrick was proposing at the end, and I also like the insight on the other characters at the end where it seems like fate was reuniting them and that they were always never off each other's minds.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
It was an okay story. Everything was extremely vague an nothing was detailed. The time line was really jumpy.

There is no tension or anything they just immediately jump into sex that's all they do. Then a minor undetailed altercation, spend a week apart and then just boom, back together for ever apparently.

Bookbee
Such a great story! I loved these guys - holding on to each other in their hearts all that time and fate finally giving them a chance to make things right! The vignettes were a perfect finish, showing how their HEA could so easily not have happened.
Britta ★ Nachteule ★
Aug 18, 2015 Britta ★ Nachteule ★ marked it as to-read
Shelves: hot-summer-days
***Read as part of the free Don't Read in the Closet: Volume Four anthology. Story #16***
Alex
Feb 15, 2012 Alex rated it really liked it
This was an adorable, sweet, teary-eyed (with happiness) story. So very sweet. Be sure to read the extra vignettes with it. Great flashes of life.
Edina Rose
Jun 16, 2012 Edina Rose rated it it was ok
The story that was told was good, but I didn't like the style in which it was told.
melek
After 26 years later George and Patrick reunited but not how they imaged
Josephine
Feb 13, 2012 Josephine rated it it was amazing
love, love, love this story ^_^
De-Ann
De-Ann rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Aya
Aya added it
Mar 01, 2016
Crispin
Crispin marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Juxian
Juxian rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Maria Rodrigues
Maria Rodrigues rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
  • Be a Bad Boy
  • Cupid's Beau
  • Surf's Up
  • Starting Over

Don't Read in the Closet Events (1 - 10 of 688 books)
  • Bobby's Christmas Gift
  • A Bugger to Pack
  • Christmas Gifts
  • Christmas in the Sandbox
  • Cocklebur's Christmas
  • The Conquerors (Zero-G wrestling)
  • Crying Wolf (Portals, #2.5)
  • D.N.A.: Double Helix