Start by marking “The Alpine Icon (Emma Lord, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Alpine Icon (Emma Lord, #9)

The Alpine Icon (Emma Lord #9)

ALL THE MURDER FIT TO PRINT

Editor-publisher Emma Lord and her Alpine Advocate staff suspect excitement when glamorous Ursula O'Toole Randall returns to Alpine to marry her third husband. But hers is a lethal homecoming. . . .

Ursula, clad in satin pajamas, is found dead in the shallow waters of the Skyhomish River. Sheriff Dodge suspects foul play. Yet as Emma hunts for a
Published July 30th 1997 by Fawcett

To ask other readers questions about The Alpine Icon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Alpine Icon

Johnny
Apr 29, 2009 Johnny rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I thought I’d read every novel in this marvelous series of mystery novels. However, when I found a cast-off copy in a brother’s collection and read the back cover, I realized that I hadn’t read The Alpine Icon. In this “episode,” Emma Lord’s Roman Catholic background is intertwined with a mystery that involves a socialite who is prominently involved with the Seattle Diocese, a power struggle within her church, mysterious minor crimes in the small Snohomish town where she is editor, and the usual ...more
VJ
May 05, 2013 VJ rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
This is the first of this series to have major continuity errors. Most glaring is the insurance settlement that allowed Emma to purchase the Alpine Advocate. All other books mention insurance money being $500k and the newspaper being $200k. This episode, the insurance was $200k.

Meh. I found this book to be much slower paced than any of the previous books. Maybe the little town of Alpine is fully described and populated in my mind. It seems as if you can almost guess the "who" without always know
George
Nov 17, 2009 George rated it really liked it
#9 in the Emma Lord newspaper publisher in a small central Washington town mystery series. Two former Alpine residents return after several years away with one dying under suspicious circumstances. Emma and her employee Vida help Emma's lover, the town sheriff, solve the mystery. There are several strands to the story involving the town Catholic Church and dealings within the congregation, the declining economic condition of the town and its affects upon the residents, and the trials and ...more
Ailisa Evans
Aug 23, 2014 Ailisa Evans rated it liked it
This book rates as average. The victim of this book was not very likable, and didn't evoke a curiosity in me to find the actual killer. Also, the little problems in Alpine such as the picnic fiasco, the special elections, the feuding spouses, and the exhausted priest came off as filler material. I did like Emma's growing relationship with the sheriff, but the most shocking part was finding out Adam's chosen vocation. I plan on reading the books in order, so I don't want to spoil myself, but I ...more
Janet Ankiel
Daheim explores the role of religion, specifically Roman Catholicism,
greed and revenge, racial intolerance, the effects of a weak economy and much more in Alpine, Washington. With her observer role securely anchored in her ownership of the local newspaper, Emma can watch, speculate and evaluate all she sees. Once again the supporting characters provide comic relief even as they help move the plot. A good summer read even if it is a bit dated.
Karen Hufman
Jan 05, 2014 Karen Hufman rated it liked it
I used to love Mary Daheim - maybe I've read too many Emma Lord mysteries over the years. In this one, Ursula returns to Alpine after inheriting a lot of money from a former husband. She's set to marry another returning Alpine native and likes to feel superior over those she feels to be 'less fortunate' than herself. Throw in issues with the Catholic school, a miracle vase, and another reporter nosing around and you have the bones of the story.
Patricia
Aug 01, 2012 Patricia rated it it was ok
I am hooked on the backstory of the characters and not as much on the mystery side of things.iconsequently, I do some scan reading. This time I did guess the culprit before it was revealed. I do not often do that in this series.
Incandragon
Nov 05, 2011 Incandragon rated it liked it
Shelves: talking-books
I think the best way to read this series is the first three in a gulp, and then the rest slowly. You really need to have a historical investment in the characters to feel the tension of the personal issues.
Margaret
Aug 06, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2005
Enjoyed this story - all of Mary Daheim's books in this series are consistently good. And in this one, Emma finally seems to be over her son's father. Now if she could just reconcile with her son, Adam ...
Tiffany Westlund
I was excited to read a mystery by a northwest author....but it was just ok. Too much church business and not enough mystery.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Journalist Emma Lord has a hard time keeping her tiny paper afloat in the Washington mountains. We're up to the 25th book in the series now and it is an entertaining series of cozies.
Glenn Harris
Mar 24, 2013 Glenn Harris rated it really liked it
Editor/publisher Emma Lord once again helps Sheriff Milo Dodge find the killer. Daheim does a great job of keeping a limited number of small town characters interesting in book after book.
Christine
Aug 12, 2010 Christine rated it really liked it
I really liked this entry, I'm glad that Emma seems to be showing some sense finally! My mom tells me this doesn't last, so I'm kind of dreading the next book, but we'll see.
Laura rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2013
Darlene Ferland
Darlene Ferland rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2010
Mary Ann
Mary Ann rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2011
Donna Jean
Donna Jean rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2012
Marlene Libby
Marlene Libby rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2012
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2012
Karen Harris
Karen Harris rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2015
René Mckellips
René Mckellips rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2012
Terry Poduska
Terry Poduska rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2012
Chris Brandstatter
Chris Brandstatter rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2011
Audra
Audra rated it liked it
May 29, 2008
Janette
Janette rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2008
Rwilhite
Rwilhite rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Mary  (Biblophile)
Mary (Biblophile) rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2009
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2008
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2013
  • White Elephant Dead (Death on Demand, #11)
  • Desert Shadows (A Lena Jones Mystery #3)
  • The Father's Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #11)
  • Shadow Bones (Great Lakes Legends, #2)
  • Baptism in Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #14)
  • Way Down on the High Lonely (Neal Carey, #3)
  • Statute of Limitations (Posadas County Mystery, #4)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Murder Can Spook Your Cat (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #5)
  • While Other People Sleep
  • How to Murder Your Mother-In-Law (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #5)
  • Split Image
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.

After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Emma Lord (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Alpine Advocate (Emma Lord, #1)
  • The Alpine Betrayal (Emma Lord, #2)
  • The Alpine Christmas (Emma Lord, #3)
  • The Alpine Decoy (Emma Lord, #4)
  • The Alpine Escape (Emma Lord, #5)
  • The Alpine Fury (Emma Lord, #6)
  • The Alpine Gamble (Emma Lord, #7)
  • The Alpine Hero (Emma Lord, #8)
  • The Alpine Journey (Emma Lord, #10)
  • The Alpine Kindred (Emma Lord, #11)