Start by marking “Fall and Rise of China” as Want to Read:
Fall and Rise of China

Fall and Rise of China

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  155 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The Fall and Rise of China, taught by China expert and Professor Richard Baum of the University of California, Los Angeles, brings to vivid life the human struggles, the titanic political upheavals, and the spectacular speed of China's modern rebirth. Offering multilevel insight into one of the most astounding real-life dramas of modern history, The Fall and Rise of China ...more
850 pages
Published by the teaching company (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Fall and Rise of China, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall and Rise of China

Clif Hostetler
Dec 17, 2014 Clif Hostetler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lecture
The decline of China began in the late 18th and early 19th Centuries when the opium trade shifted their trade balance into negative territory. (Why do I have this ominous feeling that China is currently getting their revenge?) Indeed, many people predict that the 21st Century will be the Chinese Century.

Given China’s prominence in the world today I figured that this was a good time to listen to these 48 lectures. The course progresses with all the drama of a great story. From time to time Profe
Jim
Feb 02, 2013 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tgc
Rather than a book, this is a series of 48 - 1/2 hour lectures (you have your choice of audio of video format...I'm cheap so I went audio...after waiting for a sale & a coupon...check out TGC.com. It is not cheap, but it was worth it in my case). We're planning a China trip, so I was motivated to learn a bit about the recent history of the country and perhaps appreciate the surroundings of the cities and countrysides more easily.
Dr Baum, the lecturer, had studied China for more than 4 decade
Nilesh
The lecture series works on almost all the counts perfectly: the topic is extremely important and relatively uncovered. The views are largely unbiased even if one disagrees with many of the conclusions. The style is completely engaging with the professor mixing the landmark historical events with personal anecdotes or interesting normal life incidents to create a sense of a grand, purposeful story rumbling towards a rousing climax. And most importantly, the details are rich, illuminating and sti ...more
Greg
Sep 06, 2012 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good series of lectures.

The complex, multi-faceted nature of Mao's personality and leadership I found especially fascinating and well done. The presenter often has a surprising up-close and personal platform to observe many of China's recent events. There are probably few China-watchers with such a position. The personal impressions and anecdotes were appreciated, as well as the smooth spoken delivery of those often hard to remember Chinese names. Somehow he managed to render them intelli
Diana
Mar 10, 2014 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a series of lectures from Dr. Baum. But it's recorded in studio setting with sound effect of audience applause at the beginning of each lecture. I highly recommend this course to all those who are interested in China's recent history or who is planning to travel there, also for Chinese Americans who grew up here. Although I was born and raised in China up to the age of 13, I was too young to understand all the political turmoil of the 70's through 80's. Other than getting glimpse of the ...more
Lenny Husen
Apr 22, 2014 Lenny Husen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an Audio Course of 48 lectures and it took me months to listen to all of them. I also read the accompanying book with the summary of each lecture. Dr. Baum is a fantastic lecturer. This covers mainly 20th Century China, actually going up to 2009 and starting in the 19th Century. The best parts were Dr. Baum's first-hand experiences as a "China Watcher" and wonderful anecdotes from his many trips there in the 1970's up to 2000's.
Criticisms: at times a bit dry, and over my head, such as p
Wendy
Oct 20, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent overview of modern Chinese history, which I embarrassingly knew very little about, despite having lived on the mainland for more than five years. Professor Baum had very strong ties with China since his university days, and his amazing personal anecdotes and asides really added a lot to the overall narrative of the lectures.

If you are looking for ancient history, this course is not for you, as it reaches the 1800s and 1900s within the first few lectures. After that it is f
Tyler
Jul 12, 2014 Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating part of a history I was largely ignorant of. Eerie parallels between the causes of the downfall of Emperial China and the subsequent utter, catastrophic failure of communism with our society. I knew Mao was a bad leader and was responsible for the slaughter and starvation of millions, but I didn't know the extent of the unadulterated evil of his insanely hypocritical indulgent personal life. Bad dude, bad ideas, bad policies.
Freeny
Mar 08, 2015 Freeny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing course from Columbia. Baum provides an exciting summary of 20th and 21st century Chinese history.
Jurij Fedorov
Jul 29, 2015 Jurij Fedorov rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a great lecture about China in the last 200 years. This is it. It's perfect.
Suby
Jun 05, 2011 Suby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The books starts with Opium war and ends with Beijing Olympics and beyond and explains all that happened in China in between. While the book is very well written I don't see why the author gave only a cursory mention of the Sino-Indian war of 1961 only a cursory reference. While the Indian Prime Minister of that time had made all efforts to create a cordial atmosphere for friendly relations with China - China broke promises and embarked upon a war for which India was totally unprepared.
If we fo
饕餮娘子
Dec 17, 2014 饕餮娘子 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like this audio book.
Jim Folsom
Jun 16, 2014 Jim Folsom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to keep up with the awakening giant that is China you need to do these lectures. An important contribution to our understanding of the World today - and tomorrow.
Ray Thompson
Jul 21, 2014 Ray Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an eye opener.
Paul Blankenship
The modern history of China with an expert China watcher. One of the best Great Courses I've experienced.
Guy
Apr 29, 2014 Guy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Baum comes across as a bit of a sinophile in his lectures and I found I had to take his perspective on Chinese history with a grain of salt, technically factual though it may be. Otherwise, found it interesting in some parts, but a painful churn in others.
Joshua
May 10, 2015 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china
Captivating until the very end.

Highlight: The exploitation of China by Britain during the opium wars, The warlord period during the turn of the 20th century, and the great leap forward.
Brian
Apr 04, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
If you want to understand modern history of China, this is an excellent course. It goes back far enough to give a good grounding of Chinese history.
Joe Osborne
Oct 04, 2013 Joe Osborne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome lecture series covering Chinese history from about the mid 19th century until the Beijing Olympics a couple of years ago.
Gisele
May 31, 2015 Gisele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal Lecture series, learned so much!
Rachel
Fascinating and extensive history of China in the 20th and 21st centuries.
Alex Kondrashin
Alex Kondrashin rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Richard Kolivoski
Richard Kolivoski rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Michael Sartosia
Michael Sartosia rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Jacques Van Den Bergh
Jacques Van Den Bergh rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Jeremy
Jeremy is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2016
Nate Hanna
Nate Hanna is currently reading it
Jan 30, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Siumitam
Siumitam marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The History Of Ancient Egypt (Great Courses, #350)
  • From Yao to Mao: 5000 Years of Chinese History (Great Courses, #8320)
  • The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World
  • Classical Mythology
  • The Vikings (Great Courses, #3910)
  • History of the English Language (Great Courses, #2250)
  • The Skeptic's Guide to American History
  • The Early Middle Ages
  • A History of Russia: From Peter the Great to Gorbachev
  • From Jesus to Constantine: A History of Early Christianity
  • The History of Ancient Rome (Great Courses, #340)
  • How to Listen to and Understand Great Music (Great Courses, #700)
  • The Story of Human Language
  • Big History: The Big Bang, Life On Earth, And The Rise Of Humanity (Great Courses, #8050)
  • Great World Religions: Buddhism (Great Courses, #6105)
  • Einstein's Relativity and the Quantum Revolution: modern physics for non-scientists
  • Cultural Literacy for Religion: Everything the Well-Educated Person Should Know
  • Books That Have Made History: Books That Can Change Your Life
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads' database with this name. See this thread for more information.

Dr. Richard Baum is Distinguished Professor of Political Science at UCLA, where he specializes in the study of modern Chinese politics and foreign relations. He earned an M.A. and a Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of California, Berkeley.

Professor Baum has l
More about Richard Baum...