Miriam The Medium

Miriam The Medium

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In the tradition of Susan Isaacs comes a charming debut novel featuring a lovable phone psychic, whose talents will either save her family from financial ruin -- or ruin her family altogether.What do you do when your husband's business is failing, your daughter is ashamed of you, and your faith in your own talents hits rock bottom? Miriam is a modern-day Long Island housew...more
Published May 4th 2004 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Miriam The Medium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miriam The Medium

GoldenjoyBazyll
"Things are bad, but they can always be worse" is Miriam's mantra. Miriam is a real live phone psychic whose life is in a shambles. She has spent most of her life trying to appear "normal" but what is normal for her isn't the same as everyone else. This is a charming story of a woman trying to find and accept herself and embracing a gift that sometimes is a burden.
Lisa Fischbach
This book was an okay read if you don't think about it too much. The writing isn't great, the characterization is rather phoney and a bit irritating. All in all though if you like books about psychics, it was a fun enough read. It's not going to appear on any best of lists though, at least none of mine..
Erin
This book was darker than I expected it to be after reading the description. It is far more character focused than plot driven, and many of the people in the book are a pleasure to read about - chiefly Miriam herself, her Bubbe, and the eccentric cast of characters who contact her for readings.
Louise Silk
This is the kind of story that gives psychics a bad name. The characters, trying too be cute, came off as false and unbelievable. Neither the plot nor the writing could not hold my attention The whole thing was frivolous and not worth the time.
Jen
Jan 13, 2008 Jen added it
This book so well done and so interesting--the main author grapples between her real life as a surburban mom and her gift of being able to communicate with people who have passed on.
Samantha D'Aloisio-Schmunk
Wonderful! Heartbreaking & heartwarming. I loved Miriam so much that I wished I could call her myself!
Joe
Very good book. It was about a psychic with real life problems that were easy to relate to.
Allison
Miriam is a charming character with a larger-than-life Bubbie; a funny, entertaining book
Claudia
This was a great read! I love Shapiro's style of writing and loved Miriam more!
Karen
A fun, light read. A good book to read on vacation.
Melody Mees Bass
Very good, fast-paced and interesting characters.
Cws
Sep 18, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Sha
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Audrey Brown-williams
Audrey Brown-williams marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Ivona
Ivona added it
May 29, 2014
Rosanne Podmore
Rosanne Podmore marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Elaina
Elaina marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Teme
Teme added it
Jun 21, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Kaylee's Ghost What I Wish You'd Told Me I Dare You to Write Have Milk, Will Travel: Adventures in Breastfeeding