Start by marking “Mission Zero (Fourth Fleet Irregulars #1)” as Want to Read:
Mission Zero (Fourth Fleet Irregulars #1)

Mission Zero (Fourth Fleet Irregulars #1)

Skipper Alex von Strada is one of the Fleet’s highest achieving officers, commanding the corvette Minnow with a company of eccentric officers and last-chance crew sent to him for rehab.

After a PR disaster has activists and media storming the Admiralty gates, First Lord Dix Harangay sends Minnow out on a makework patrol. Inspector Mako Ireson goes with them to investigate
Published July 23rd 2011

To ask other readers questions about Mission Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mission Zero

I Humbert
Dec 03, 2011 I Humbert rated it really liked it
Mako was not much of a spacer but had to supervise the treatment given to three parolees aboard a military spaceship on a somewhat dull patrol journey. With that simple background story, the author creates a multiple-worlds society in the far future. The descriptions are so detailed that you start believing the Fleet, and the Admiralty, really exist in a clearly defined society. But, most of all, the reader is shocked to see in that far future the same degree of greed, corruption, difficult ...more
Sam harris
Nov 01, 2015 Sam harris rated it it was amazing
This book was great, i was looking for good sci fi and I totally found it here. Mac Donald Makes the story great from the start with the perspective of a reporter. He then swaps views to the crew and eventually the protagonist. In this vital book he tells of Mako the reporter and his trip on the minnow. Alex the captain starts off thinking he is a no-good reporter but Mako ends up with the captains trust in the end. Even though his career status goes down because of the media he firmly sticks to ...more
Sharon Warren
Mar 25, 2014 Sharon Warren rated it liked it
Very Wordy

Well edited ! Thanks, that means allot.. The plot drags and is not that special except for the references ,which are an obvious setup for sequel sales. I might buy like the fourth in this series but definitely not the second or third.. Again Thanks for the excellent editing. I mean the trash out there that people who don't use spell check or grammar scanner is ridiculous to me.
John T. Dueker
Nov 19, 2015 John T. Dueker rated it did not like it
Sorry I bought it

The language is simplistic and entire chapters are used to explain minor issues like a ladder.

The science attempt is insane, there is not even a thread of reality, might have been better to just have a magical explanation. The attempts to explain military regulations are insulting.
Ed Tinkertoy
Dec 08, 2014 Ed Tinkertoy rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read and different from many sci fi books I have read because it dealt more with people than with plot. It spent a lot of time describing the ship and it's crew. There was no space battle. In the end it turned into a space patrol drug bust. It was a good introduction to the Fourth Fleet Irregulars series.
Mick Bird
Nov 04, 2015 Mick Bird rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read

I have fully enjoyed reading this book. The main players are well made and rounded. Following the crew with a civilian inspector aboard to check on three returning spacers coming back from serving a sentence in prison. The patrol goes from a simple one to a longer and more interesting one then the crew expected.
Caleb Brown
Oct 12, 2015 Caleb Brown rated it did not like it
See, you see!

You see, this really needed and editor, see, to avoid using the same turn of phrase, see, over and over and over, see, so much that all the reader ends up seeing is, see, you see, in run on after run on, see!
Douglas B. Hull
Jun 28, 2016 Douglas B. Hull rated it it was amazing
Great

I read the last book in this series. It got me hooked. Now I'm starting with book one and reading to the end. So var my opinion has not changed. Great series.
Michael Ellefson
Jun 18, 2014 Michael Ellefson rated it really liked it
Interesting

author weaves an interesting tale. I look forward the next installment and see where it leads the captain and crew
Devin
Devin rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Egoexdeus
Egoexdeus rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Jonathan Herbst
Jonathan Herbst rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
keith newman
keith newman rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Daniel champion
Daniel champion rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Faye Bazilian
Faye Bazilian rated it it was amazing
Jul 20, 2016
Rory
Rory rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Naomi Stewart
Naomi Stewart rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2016
Ronald
Ronald rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2014
coteof
coteof rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Moe Naguib
Moe Naguib rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2015
Mike Stietenroth
Mike Stietenroth rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Circleround
Circleround rated it it was ok
May 09, 2014
James Atkins
James Atkins rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2015
Scott H.
Scott H. rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
James
James rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
Deus_now
Deus_now rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2013
Jamie
Jamie rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
David Ramsden
David Ramsden rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
  • Ghosts of Empire (Empire of Bones Saga, #4)
  • Admiral's Revenge (Spineward Sectors, #5)
  • Mutineer (Alexis Carew #2)
  • The Road of Danger (Lt. Leary, #9)
  • Rise of the Kobani
  • Commander (The David Birkenhead Series, #4)
  • The Rising Storm (Exodus: Empires at War, #3)
  • Wolfhound
  • When the Gods Aren't Gods (The Theogony, #2)
  • Cadet (Defender of the Empire #1)
  • New Dawn (Wandering Engineer, #1)
  • Rebellion (The Galactic Empire Wars #3)
I am a primary school teacher living in Cardiff, Wales, UK. I live in a tiny house full of books, animals, rocks and fossils.

I love travelling by myself because you get to meet more local people that way. My favourite trips so far have been ice fishing in the arctic circle, the Canadian Rockies in winter and camping with my sister in Devon (Every bit as adventurous!)

I have been writing stories si
More about S.J. MacDonald...

Fourth Fleet Irregulars (5 books)
  • Karadon (Fourth Fleet Irregulars #2)
  • XD:317 (Fourth Fleet Irregulars #3)
  • Dark Running (Fourth Fleet Irregulars #4)
  • Sector Seventeen (Fourth Fleet Irregulars #5)

“If you were asked to list five qualities the Sub-Lt had, ‘clued up’ would not be amongst them. ” 0 likes
“cross at being caught out by something he didn’t know anything about, though in truth, this was a very large category.  ‘I’m” 0 likes