A Thousand Suns

A Thousand Suns

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  382 ratings  ·  35 reviews
It's early April of 1945 and the bloodied days of World War II. The Nazi regime is being slowly throttled by the oncoming Russian and Allied armies and Hitler rages uselessly in his Berlin bunker. But the high command have one more throw of the dice to make. An audacious plan is hatched to save the Fatherland and beat off the oncoming apocalypse. All it will take is a hodg...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Orion Publishing (first published May 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Thousand Suns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Thousand Suns

John
Another one of those Tesco bargains and another surprisingly good little book.

Historical military fiction again... also with the possibility of alternate historical outcomes too. This book is not complex, yet has sufficient in it to satisfy thriller fans as well as military fiction fans.
Hayley
Robin Carter
A Thousand Suns: Alex Scarrow
This book is a fantastic debut Novel for Alex, I myself am a fan of many genre, and in the world of War time exploits one of My favourite authors is Jack Higgins, some one I consider the master of this genre. I would put this book up there with his best, against the likes of Cold Harbour and The Eagle Has landed.
The Story Is a great testament to the courage or the men who fought in those times, alot of people forget or don't know that the Germans had many Brave men w...more
Andringas
Jun 16, 2011 Andringas rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Andringas by: My Brother

When my brother explained to me what this book was about, I was very curious and created high expectations towards this novel. Unfortunatly, it didn´t match my expectations, since I found some things to be a bit bothering.
Firstly, the way the story is told in my opinion is not the best, since the reader knows almost from the start how the end is.
Secondly, I think the autor just "casted" a lot of characters. Too many, in my opinion, since some of them don't matter that much to the action. Like...more
Amy Victoria's girlfriend ❤
Like thousand suns. As such, in my view, shines this war novel from Alex Scarrow. The book has two story-lines; first from the end of the war in 1945, which tells the story of the bomber's crew; the second from the present, where a journalist with his friend a diving instructor head off to explore the found wreck. Some might be put off for from the very beginning it's clear how the crew ends. However, it's not so. Within a while the book will devour you and won't go until the end.

As was said the...more
Kiera Healy
My first bit of holiday reading during my recent trip to Malta! This is the best Alex Scarrow novel I've read, but it's still not very good. During the dying days of WW2, the Germans launch an audacious mission to drop a bomb on Manhattan, in an effort to turn the Americans against the Russians. It's politically unsound and, of course, doomed to failure.

The problem is that we KNOW it's doomed to failure because the novel begins in modern times, with an annoying, colourless British photo-journali...more
Tufty McTavish
An alt.history WW2 story that I quite enjoyed a smidge more than an average 3 stars I reckon. Straightforward enough, it's a little like the "5 hours earlier" plot device in movies and television shows; you know where things end up but not exactly how. And that forms the meat of the story as a few characters push this onward.

Not brilliant, not essential, a little different from my norm, but pulpy and enjoyable enough. 4 stars seems generous, so call it 3.5/5.
Andrew
Alex Rogers
Bit of a hokey premise, but started promisingly enough. Unfortunately one of those books that is just good enough to keep reading hoping it would get better or ultimately be satisfying - but eventually give up on half way through and wish you hadn't wasted so much precious reading time on.
Iona
Kate Camille F. Lanaria
I really liked this book because it just makes you wonder how it would've been if things happened differently during WWII. This is a great work of fiction.
GB Davies
Excellent book. A total surprise grabbed unknown Author best I can say is a damn fine read.
Keith
A fairly gripping "what if" World War Two novel. The "what if" the Nazis did develop the atomic bomb and "what if" they plotted to send a captured Boeing B-17 bomber straight at New York City in the dying moments of the war in Europe? The novel is structured in two interwoven parts: a contemporary story of a search for the truth about this last-gasp operation; and an account of the planning and execution of the flight from the German perspective. Scarrow used to design video games and this exper...more
Leighton
1 star - binned it before half way, please don't write anymore!!!
2 stars - finally binned it after really trying, I mean really trying and I hate to not finishing someth....
3 stars - finished it but boy was that hard work on times, it just about hooked me back in as I was about to dump it
4 stars - great book but it lacked something, something, can't put my finger on it but.... something
5 stars - want more, more books, more movies about the books, more movies about the authors and the making of t...more
Jan
Hodní Němci a atomovka...
Ipswichblade
When I started this book I thought it was going to be a five star however although it was a decent read it was far too long and padded out with far too much detail on plane dogfights and general war games. The story centres around the the discovery of a B17 plane under the sea off New England. It soon becomes clear that there is a hidden conspiracy from WW2 and the story then goes back and forth from 1945 to the present day and the story of the plot unfolds. At 200 pages less this book would be...more
Naomi Styles
I got halfway through the book and realised that I didn't actually need to read any more. The ending was clear because it's one of those books that is set in two dates, so I knew what was going to happen. A quick flick to the end and I realised that I was right; nothing unexpected did happen; so i saved myself a few hours then. It's a fun setting, and has some research which did like. But dramatic irony does nothing for me; so that was that really.
Pedro
Esta história tinha tudo para ser excelente: um setting promissor, um tema que eu gosto e um estilo que prendia à leitura. O problema é que o final acabou por ser demasiado previsível, nalguns pontos tão previsível que já se sabia de antemão como uma das linhas da história iria terminar. Talvez se pudesse resolver o problema com uma estrutura diferente, talvez...

Fiquei muito desapontado! Esperava muito mais! Não recomendo este livro!
Ali Burns
'On April 29th, 1945, the allies unconditionally surrendered to Nazi Germany. Four hours later that surrender was withdrawn...'[return][return]It was the above tagline that made me pick up the book, and it was such a good purchase. It had been a long time since I was unable to put a book down until I'd finished it, but had to do it in this case. Absolutely brilliant idea, really well executed. Thoroughly recommended.
Dave
I really liked it. Probably came to a too quick an ending. But then again I say that with all the books that I enjoy. Probably because I don't want them to end. But saying that, I can understand the German side of the tale finishing as it did, but I would have liked Chris and Mark to have done more towards the end rather than just give up and walk out.
Kleinspunk
I loved Last Light und October skies by Scarrow. After reading these, I read A Thousand Suns. I found it very disjointed and found myself skipping pages, then chapters. The characters and plot felt superficial. I wouldn't read it again and would't recommend it. Go for his other novels instead.
Keith Nixon
A cleverly plotted debut. Germany are losing the war but as a last throw of the dice a lone bomber sets out to destroy New York... A plausible historical fiction story I found myself relating to the enemy. Very well written, good characters and worth a read.
Steve
This was a great idea, good book and definitely one that I would read again. There were a couple of sections that had me scratching my head but in all I really enjoyed reading this book. Alex Scarrow has definitely joined my list if favourite authors.
Chris C.
Decent read, good as a mass market -- certainly wouldn't pay for the hardcover...Interesting story that could almost be considered an alternate history.
David
one of them cheap books from Big W, really enjoyed it moved along quite nicely, looking forward to reading a few more from this author
Bill Davis
What if, Nazi Germany in a last ditch effort to end the war, hijacked a B17 and flew it to New York and dropped an atomic bomb? Chilling.
Neil
First Alex Scarrow book. Not bad reading. Good story even if a bit dragged out. Enjoyed the characters and the period setting.
Rob Hattersley
Pretty gripping, although the ending seems fairly clear after about half way through so I enjoyed the first half more.
Erik
Good book, not as good as Last Light http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21...
Wendy Hamnett
Not a bad book, and quite an interesting idea, but an horrible thought if it were true
  • The Arms Maker of Berlin
  • Transgression: A Novel of Love and War
  • Beautiful Assassin: A Novel
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
  • Gifts of War
  • Mimi and Toutou's Big Adventure: The Bizarre Battle of Lake Tanganyika
  • Battle for Iwo Jima
  • Gratitude
  • Red Inferno: 1945
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • Gods Go Begging
  • The Berlin Conspiracy (Jack Teller, #1)
  • The Marne, 1914: The Opening of World War I and the Battle That Changed the World
  • The Bone Chamber
  • Mussolini: His Part In My Downfall  (War Memoirs, #4)
  • Spoken From The Front: Real Voices From the Battlefields of Afghanistan
I live a nomadic existence with my wife Frances, and son Jacob. For now we're living in Norwich. I spent the first 10 years out of college in the music business chasing record deals and the next 12 years in the computer games business as a graphic artist and eventually a games designer. For those of you who like their computer games, here's some of the titles I've worked on:
Waterworld, Evolva, The...more
More about Alex Scarrow...
TimeRiders (TimeRiders, #1) Day of the Predator (TimeRiders, #2) The Doomsday Code (TimeRiders, #3) The Eternal War (TimeRiders, #4) Gates of Rome (TimeRiders, #5)