Start by marking “This Doesn't Happen In The Movies (Reed Ferguson Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
This Doesn't Happen In The Movies (Reed Ferguson Mystery #1)

This Doesn't Happen In The Movies (Reed Ferguson Mystery #1)

3.49  ·  Rating Details ·  1,878 Ratings  ·  267 Reviews
A wannabe private eye with a love of film noir and detective fiction.
A rich, attractive femme fatale.
A missing husband.
A rollicking ride to a dark and daring ending.

Reed Ferguson’s first case is a daring adventure, complete with a dose of film noir, and a lot of humor. With a great supporting cast of the Goofball Brothers, Reed’s not too bright neighbors, and Cal, Reed
Published July 19th 2011

To ask other readers questions about This Doesn't Happen In The Movies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Doesn't Happen In The Movies

One for the Money by Janet EvanovichDiners, Dives & Dead Ends by Terri L. AustinThis Pen for Hire by Laura LevineFront Page Fatality by LynDee WalkerPortrait of a Dead Guy by Larissa Reinhart
Humorous Mysteries
78th out of 184 books — 96 voters
Coyote in Provence by Dianne HarmanAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
Mystery
153rd out of 280 books — 249 voters

More lists with this book...

RJ
Sep 12, 2011 RJ rated it it was amazing
This Doesn’t Happen in the Movies is a very satisfying and well-paced novel. I rarely select a front row seat when I go to the movies, but was delighted to be afforded that perspective in this gem from Renee Pawlish.

Fans of the genre enjoy figuratively donning their Sherlock hats when reading quality mysteries. Most of us like to step into the protagonist’s shoes, analyze clues, and speculate on whodunit as the plot unfolds. Generally, there is a substantial gap between the expertise of the sleu
Ivy
Feb 08, 2015 Ivy rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, crime, fiction
I'm actually quite proud of myself for having made it to the end of this book. There is nothing more irritating than a book that belittles the intelligence of its readers.

Trying to fit itself into the genre of Noir fiction, This Doesn't Happen In The Movies is Renee Pawlish's first instalment of a series. When a striking blonde becomes a potential first client for amateur PI Reed Ferguson, he finds the case hard to resist. She was beautiful and wealthy, ready to pay whatever the price for Reed t
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
This may not be what happens in the movies, but it did remind me of detective TV series of the seventies and eighties.

A female mafia accepts hits on big bad men who get away with violence against women. When one of their clients breaks the rules and wants out of a contract (or so it seems), she runs to Our Hero to get her fingers uncaught. Nothing is what it seems...is it?
Short, fast "noir wannabe" novel about a noir wannabe detective. A good enough read to pass the time on a sleepy day subseque
Feb 16, 2015 Laura rated it it was ok
I gave this two stars mostly because it didn't piss me off and I was able to finish reading it. But it wasn't ok, really, it was pretty dumb.
I really love mysteries and I chase detective stories because they are one of the foundations of my love for reading (Sherlock, baby), but those stories only work when their author is capable of creating an intriguing plot, appealing characters and a surprising ending.

This book had none of it.

Reed is too simple and everything he does 'well' is unimpressive
Cindy
Jan 13, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it
Love the "decades past" references in this cozy mystery. (Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr., Elvis, others). Pleasant with humor and some twists in the mystery. Recommended.
Pamela
Jul 08, 2014 Pamela rated it did not like it
(Note to self: Beware of free books on Amazon--If they aren't classics, they are usually free for a reason.)

The book has an interesting premise. Unfortunately, the author does everything he can to make the reading experience as infuriating and distasteful as he possibly can.

The characters--including the main character--are thinner than tissue paper. The situations are ridiculous--and not in a funny, good way. The dialogue is stilted and painful the way bad, unfunny jokes told in bad, unfunny way
Laura Thomas
Jun 03, 2012 Laura Thomas rated it it was amazing
This book starts off with a bang.
"I want you to find my dead husband."
"Excuse me?" That was my first reaction.
"I want you to find my husband. He's dead, and I need to know where he is." She spoke in a voice one sexy note below middle C.
"Uh-huh." That was my second reaction. Really slick.
When Amanda walked into his office the first thing he thought was "Trouble". She was a flirt and everyone knows it is bad news to mix business with pleasure.
Renee's writing style reads like a noir film. Like a Bo
Sherry Fundin
Jun 29, 2012 Sherry Fundin rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
My name is Reed Ferguson and I own the Reed Ferguson Detective Agency. My grandparents died and left me wealthy, so I never really had to take life seriously. I wanted to do well, so I could prove to my dad that I was good at something.

Trouble, with a capital T, came walking into my office and stated that she knew her husband was dead and wanted me to find him. Her name was Amanda Ghering and she was a great looking dame that made it hard for me to concentrate. She said her husband went on a bus
Shelley
Dec 09, 2011 Shelley rated it really liked it
The story starts off with a classic meeting – a beautiful woman enters Reed’s brand new detective agency, wanting him to find her missing husband. Reed’s instincts go on alert. Something is not quite right, but he succumbs to her feminine wiles and takes the case anyway. The deeper he digs the more complicated the case becomes. What follows is a fast paced plot with many twists and turns before reaching the surprising climax.

Reed, the main character is a fan of classic old detective films and wa
Ted Tayler
Jul 15, 2015 Ted Tayler rated it it was ok
"Promising start, but faded away"

At the outset I thought I'd found a winner. I liked the idea of a brief nod to the crime noir of the old days. The private eye and the femme fatale were there and the premise of the missing husband seemed plausible and promising. The trouble was that it wasn't a brief nod, the writer kept hitting me over the head with a sock full of rocks throughout the book. Where I got confused was the introduction of Cal, the computer nerd who hacked his way into every site go
Lori
Jul 27, 2014 Lori rated it it was ok
This book started out very well and was intriguing and interesting but it ended up getting monotonous. I didn't end up finishing it because at about 70% done, I just didn't care anymore.
Martha Weintraub
Aug 12, 2013 Martha Weintraub rated it it was ok
Just dumb.
Shelly
This could have been really good but there's just that "something" missing to make it better than okay. Part of the problem for me is that the male protagonist reads a little feminine. Example, "I bit off half the candy bar and almost moaned, it tasted so good right then." (ch 22 pg 165) Maybe I just know too many "He-Men" but no man in my sphere would "moan" over a Snickers candy bar. Just sayin'. And when the femme fatale comes to his office he wants to comb his hair, splash cologne and ...more
Eric Kent
Jan 04, 2016 Eric Kent rated it did not like it
I always feel bad when I encounter a book I didn't like. I feel like Anton Ego in "Ratatouille": "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment." This book is, undoubtedly, the culmination of years of hard work and aspiration. Renee Pawlish was probably overjoyed at the publication of her first Reed Ferguson novel, and being heralded as "a new voice to the comic murder mystery genre."

All
Roger
Sep 21, 2016 Roger rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, humor
Quick, fun book to read. Won't change your life.
Lucinda Rose
Nov 16, 2011 Lucinda Rose rated it it was amazing
True to its description, this book delivers a wannabe detective, a femme fatale and an non-stop adventure. Guy Noir, my favorite detective, would be proud to work a case with the fledgling Reed Ferguson. Both of them are in love with all things film noir and model their style after that genre.

At first, I didn't really like the character of Reed Ferguson. A rich boy trying to be a detective and then I thought about it, if I won the lottery tomorrow, what would I be doing? Traveling and writing ev
Karyn
Apr 11, 2012 Karyn rated it really liked it
What a great story! Renee captures the feeling of the old film noire detective films and brings it in to the modern world. Reed is charming and witty and has a sense of decency, just like Bogie in The Big Sleep, Reed's favorite movie.

The book is filled with all the right characters: Reed, the gumshoe detective; Amanda, the rich femme fatale; Cal, Reed's go to right hand man; the Goofball Brothers, just a couple of guys without a clue but willing to do anything; and then the villains - the X Wome
John Dejordy
Aug 30, 2011 John Dejordy rated it it was amazing
I took a break from finishing my own book to read this one. So, I started with my editor hat on and dove into the book.

First, let me state that this genre is usually so far from the field that I normally read, that I was cynical about if I was going to finish.

I was half-way through the first chapter, when I did something that I rarely do - even when I am reading science fiction or fantasy.

I laughed out loud.

From that point on, I was hooked.

The characters are fun and believable. The story flows n
Jacque
Mar 22, 2016 Jacque rated it did not like it
I was very disappointed. The book summary promised "a rollicking ride and a dark daring ending". So it sounded like a fun read and a decent mystery, but it was neither. The humor was weak and there were enough inconsistencies or mistakes that I found myself distracted from the plot by looking for more. Chain link fences in an exclusive, gated community of luxury homes? A parking valet in a family run restaurant in a strip mall? And character referring to something another thought to himself ...more
RachelvlehcaR
I grabbed this kindle book a year ago. It's a detective story, Reed's first case, set in present day but has a Noir feel to it. Reed is a huge fan to the Hollywood Noir genre and has all kinds of posters in his office. Thee is a lot of name dropping of the actors, actresses, movies, and even popular movies in the 80s.

It a quick and light read and goes very quickly and predictable. This isn't bad thing just knowing it will know what kind of mood to be in when reading it.

Pawlish is a fan of Hard
Wmd9800
Aug 03, 2014 Wmd9800 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook-books
So many inconsistencies. Dialogue that is so painful to read. I only finished because it was short and I was marginally interested in what happened. Actually, the more I think about it, the more angry I am that I wasted my precious reading time on this. Ugh. Probably should stick to library books on my Nook. They are just as free as these terribly written self-published things....
Anne
May 31, 2014 Anne rated it liked it
I hd a really hard time coming up with a rating for this book. I loved the author's writing style; I think she does very well. But the storyline was thin. So whereas I did enjoy reading it, I couldn't really enjoy the story she was telling.
Aaron Dubin
Jun 17, 2012 Aaron Dubin rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!! It had so much going on. If you like old school mysteries, and I mean like Mickey Spillane old school but in modern times. This is the book for you.
Lynne
Nov 04, 2011 Lynne rated it really liked it
Great cadence, dialogue and plot. Well done and quick read detective story along the lines of The Maltese Falcon. Enjoy.
Brianne
Nov 14, 2011 Brianne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-read
This was an enjoyable read that held my interest throughout the entire book. Good clean writing, great characters,and a refreshing story. I will definitely be reading more from this author!
Glassart
Jul 02, 2014 Glassart rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014
Gave up in the middle. Didn't care about the characters or their story.
Stephen
Nov 10, 2011 Stephen rated it really liked it
Loved it! The humour mixed with the mystery is so well done.
Rita Sheppard
Dec 01, 2016 Rita Sheppard rated it liked it
A great example of film noir with a hard boiled detective and a sexy, beautiful lady seeking his help.

This is not your typical mystery story but it has lots of action with car chases, kidnapping, shooting, killer women, FBI agents, a hotdog computer guy, goofy friends and more.
Patricia Mccammon
Nov 26, 2016 Patricia Mccammon rated it really liked it
Received this as a free book. First time for this author. Really enjoyed the first book in this series. Almost like one of the old detective books but with a modern slant.
Catherine
Nov 16, 2016 Catherine rated it liked it
I liked it. It was easy reading with humour. I'll read more.
Goodreads Reviewe...: This topic has been closed to new comments. FREE mystery ebook 1 12 Apr 07, 2014 08:50AM
Making Connections: 163. THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE MOVIES by Renee Pawlish 10 39 Jun 08, 2012 07:49PM
  • Tutti Frutti (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator, Book 5)
  • Hollywood Assassin (Hollywood Alphabet, #1)
  • Mystery Dance: Three Novels
  • The 19th Element (James Becker, #1)
  • Henry Wood Detective Agency (Henry Wood Detective #1)
  • Ties That Bind (Madison Knight, #1)
  • A Dead Red Oleander (A Dead Red, #3)
  • City of Beads (Tubby Dubonnet, #2)
  • Icehotel
  • Birdsongs (Benny James Mystery #1)
  • Big Lake (Big Lake #1)
  • On the Street Where You Die (Stanley Bentworth, #1)
  • Unleashed (A Sydney Rye Novel, #1)
  • Beyond A Reasonable Death (Thaddeus Murfee Legal Thriller, #2)
  • The Gauguin Connection (Genevieve Lenard, #1)
  • My Frankenstein
  • A Hint of Murder (A Hint of Murder #1-3)
  • Splicer
From the time she was ten and tried to write her own detective series in the fashion of the Hardy Boys, Renée Pawlish has been developing her craft. Along with creative writing classes, Renée studied great writers like Dashiell Hammett, Rex Stout, Stephen King, Sue Grafton and many more. Once Renée graduated from college, she began her first novel. Now, all these years later, she has penned ...more
More about Renee Pawlish...

Reed Ferguson Mystery (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Reel Estate Rip-Off (Reed Ferguson #2)
  • The Maltese Felon (Reed Ferguson #3)
  • Farewell, My Deuce (Reed Ferguson Mystery #4)
  • Out of the Past (Reed Ferguson #5)
  • Torch Scene (Reed Ferguson Mystery #6)
  • The Lady Who Sang High (Reed Ferguson #7)
  • Sweet Smell of Sucrets (Reed Ferguson Mystery #8)
  • The Third Fan (Reed Ferguson Mystery #9)
  • Back Story (Reed Ferguson Mystery #10)
  • Night of the Hunted (Reed Ferguson #11)

“Why didn’t you come see me yesterday?” I asked. ” 1 likes
“something fresh.”  I held up a bowl with a substance that once might have been cereal, but now” 0 likes