Start by marking “New Testament Bible-OE-Lattimore” as Want to Read:
New Testament Bible-OE-Lattimore

New Testament Bible-OE-Lattimore

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Richard Lattimore, among the most distinguished translators of the Greek classics, concluded late in his life one of his most ambitious projects - a complete translation of the "New Testament." This" New Testamen"t is itself a classic of another kind - the words of the gospel and the apostles presented for the modern reader in fresh English by a writer without pretensions ...more
Published October 30th 1997 by North Point Press (first published July 7th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about New Testament Bible-OE-Lattimore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Testament Bible-OE-Lattimore

Manny
Zelda
Sep 04, 2014 Zelda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
People get nervous when they found out that an atheist is reading the New Testament. The (admittedly safe) assumption is that the atheist is engaging in the sport of hunting down textual inconsistencies to use as cannon fodder for future debates with Christians.

If you're an atheist looking to do this, let me gently steer you away from this course. Here's why: Christians already know. They are aware that there are significant and often troubling inconsistencies. I assure you that they have peopl
John
Jan 20, 2012 John rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: jamey
Shelves: on-hold
This is my favorite translation (Richard Lattimore) of the new testament. The author translates from the original Greek text, with the intentions of being true to the original text, and readable to modern readers. Most new testaments are translations of translations, with every translator inserting and insinuating his or her own biases. If what you are after is what the texts originally said, I think this is your best bet.

Of the Lattimore I have read the Gospels, the Acts, and the Revelation. I'
I finished reading this over a week ago. I have been pondering what I wanted to say here about my experience. I bought a self contained, soft-cover copy of the New Testament. It seemed surprisingly small to me. It’s only 404 pages. The book is only about 3/8ths of an inch thick. Contained within those four hundred plus pages is the testimony of the men who walked and talked with the Savior of the World. They bear their witness of His mortal life and His divine mission.

Within these pages’ one fi
Erik Graff
Mar 14, 2008 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those seeking a fresh take on the Xian Scriptures
Recommended to Erik by: found it at a library give-away shelf in NYC
Shelves: religion
One may remember Lattimore from high school or a college humanities course as the translator of Homer. I did and was surprised to see he had tackled the Christian Scriptures as well.

A literary man, not a biblical scholar, Lattimore's edition is weak when compared to scholarly editions of the text such as the New Oxford (RSV), the New Jerusalem (Catholic) or the New English (Anglican). The virtue of his work, however, is that he could translate without a committee looking over his shoulder and, s
Doug May
I had the distinct blessing to be handed one of these by a Billy Graham worker while I attended the Pan Am Games in Indianapolis Indiana. The Living translation incorporated testimonies of athletes including distance runner Frank Shorter that influenced me. It was my first encounter of a translation in a language I could easily grasp. Over a period of months the book transformed my life until finally I was baptized and professed Jesus Christ as my savior. The rest is history to the present when ...more
People say my name should be Jeff
I'm reading the KJV, the 1611 KJV, the Tynsdale, and the NIV. This is BY FAR the best translation. I love that he doesn't have the pretension of being a biblical scholar. He's just a classicist who wanted to use his knowledge of Greek to do a translation true to the greek. I think that he succeeded marvelously.
Kyle Barton
Richmond Lattimore was a poet and eminent translator of ancient Greek classics. His translations of the Iliad and Odyssey are considered by many to be the best available. Late in life he decided to translate the New Testament.

The best part about Lattimore's New Testament is its visual beauty and readability that facilitate longer reading experiences.

Format:

Verse references have been extracted from the text and the text overall has been formatted into paragraphs. This makes it very easy to read l
Thomas
About the highest accolade that can be given a translator is that the reader can hear the original in the translation. This is true of Lattimore's translation of the NT. He does not sweeten the text to sound more pleasant to modern ears, and he does not cut sentences with multiple dependent clauses into more easily digestible sentences.

For example, where the Greek says doulos he translates "slave," because that is what the Greek word means. (The fact that slavery as an institution had a differe
Allen Johnson
Ugh. Brilliant translation. Completely captivating
Matt Fox
Because of my short classics background, I trust Lattimore's translation of texts in ancient Greek more than any other translator, since his are the most accurate. The result shows the beauty of the New Testament unfettered by flowerly phrasings and pomp that other translations feel the need to use in order to elevate the words (or Word) into pomp. The pure, simple language is still beautiful and makes reading the New Testament a complete joy. I wish Lattimore knew Hebrew--I would love to have s ...more
Jerry
Fantastic translation.
Jodi
Lattimore's translation of the New Testament is refreshingly free of an agenda; his goal was to give a coherent, faithful translation of the Greek. As a result, he has created some interesting issues for those whose theology relies on literalism; most will probably go back to those translations made by religious publishers. Intellectual honesty, though, should compel those who struggle with their Christian orientation to read this translation. I found it actually clarified some issues for me.
Matthew Hundley
I came across the Lattimore translation of the New Testament in a Borders in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Presented in standard book form (no chapter and verse references other than the top of the page) and from the vantage point of one translator (not a committee of scholars). Later in seminary while studying Greek I gained a new respect for Lattimores ability to capture the voices of the authors. A must have for any student of God's word.
Tania HH
This is my favorite translation of the New Testament. Lattimore accomplishes what all good translators attempt but few truly accomplish: to create a translation that is faithful to the original while transferring the power and intensity into the new language.

In this translation, narratives read like narratives. Letters read like letters. This translation is powerful and accessible.
Patrick
I'm not a fan of the Bible, but Lattimore provides a clear translation which gives a real sense of the Greek text, unencumbered by thousands of years of theology. (Stars are for the translation.)
Anita
I don't rate scriptures. I found that this time through I really appreciated the insights from Jesus the Christ. Still don't rate them
Mary Johnson
This was an amazing translation, it was especially good for better understanding the translation from Greek to English
Laura Lee
Mar 19, 2012 Laura Lee marked it as reference
Shelves: the-bible
Not a breeze through it kind of book. It's on my shelf to refer to.
Douglas Wilson
Scripture. Finished reading the second time in October 2012.
Adam
This was the first time I read the New Testament all the way through.
Maryam .H
I'm not going to comment on this book. it was nice.
eyeswideopen
eyeswideopen marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Keith
Keith marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Sean
Sean added it
Sep 30, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014