Start by marking “Vacations Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Vacations Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #2)

Vacations Can Be Murder (Charlie Parker #2)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  293 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In Charlie's words, "Vacations mean different things to different people. There's the planning, the packing, the anticipation. Then there's the late arrival, the sunburn, the fuzzy pictures. In my case, add a romance with a good-looking pilot and fourteen stitches in the back of my skull." Gilbert Page was a slick businessman from California, with an alcoholic wife, a spoi ...more
Published June 1st 1997 by Intrigue Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Vacations Can Be Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vacations Can Be Murder

Connie
Mar 11, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: i-wrote-it
Disclaimer: I am the author of this book. I wrote this one when I lived on Kauai. It was a great chance for me to give my protagonist, Charlie, a vacation to a beautiful spot.
Jan
Feb 20, 2014 Jan rated it liked it
This book was a gift from a friend, who thought I might like it as I use to live in the Pacific, and also have a copter pilot in the family. She was correct,I did like it!

Story. Charlie Parker, is a female detective on holiday in Kauai. A chance to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle of the mainland. She decides to take a helicopter ride around the island so she may enjoy the sights from the air. Unfortunately, while flying over the island, she and the "dishy pilot" (who she later beco
Andrea
May 07, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Easy reading story. I'm trying to decide whether I like the main character. She has many good points, but she seems to either encounter mostly horrible people, or just views the world around her through a rather judgmental lens. Particularly incredibly bratty kids.
jwals
May 05, 2014 jwals rated it it was ok
Vacations can be murder by Connie Shelton
This the second book in the Charlie Parker mysteries series.
In the first book Charlie Parker is an accountant and partner with her brother in their own small private investigations firm looking after the firm’s accounts, taxes etc. In this the second book in the series she seems to have become an investigator in financial matters.
While holidaying on the Hawaiian Island of Kauai, she takes a helicopter tour where she and the (handsome) pilot see a body
Rita Melton
Jun 01, 2015 Rita Melton rated it really liked it
I just started #9, so obviously I am enjoying the series -- this one however gave me pause. I was surprised when the author used the word Orientals to describe Asians and the word "Japs" was used (& not in a historical reference), but there have been no such gaffs the books that follow, so I'm sticking with the series.
Kat
Feb 26, 2016 Kat rated it it was amazing
Carolyn
Stiry was good but in the audio version I was able to get from the library had a very distracting sound of the pages turning from the narrator. Also the narrator's voice was not something i wanted to listen to for very long. If she narrates the next one in the series i may not bother listening to the rest of the series
Pam Grace
2nd in the Series

This books delves a bit more into what makes Charlie tick. I will be reading a few more in the series to see how everything developed. So far so good. A great beach read for someone who wants a fun, light, mystery.
Deb
May 31, 2015 Deb rated it liked it
I like Charlie. I like the way she falls into the solution. I'ld give it a 3.8 stars
Tracy
Jan 22, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I originally found this series doing a search for books that I could read during my vacation to Kauai. It was a great read during our trips about the island.

Charlie is looking for a much needed vacation and books a trip to Kauai. She ends up staying in one of the nicer hotels on the island and she decides to book a helicopter tour over the NaPali coast. The pilot spots a body from above and the mystery begins along with a little bit of romance.

This was a great mystery right up until the end. Sue
Carrie Drake
Mar 09, 2016 Carrie Drake rated it liked it
2nd book in series, easy to read, likable characters . Charlie Parker is developing along with the series, seems to be pretty critical, especially of kids.
Jeanie Jackson
Intriguing mystery with just enough romance to hook me. After the struggle in Gamble, Charli is ready for a little break and where for a better vacation than Hawaii. While on a helicopter tour Charli and the attractive pilot spot a body in an isolated area. Drake and his boss become suspects so Charli feels compelled to help them out. I want more Drake in her life. Better pacing than Gamble. Over all really enjoyed it.
Elaine Leaman
Mar 25, 2013 Elaine Leaman rated it liked it
A great read which doesn't take a lot of energy. I really enjoyed this book which kept me wanting to keep with the story. I was able to drown out the noise around me, kick back and relax. It is nice to see the story continue from the previous one but I don't think if you read this a a stand alone you would loose out.
Shirley
Jun 16, 2011 Shirley rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Will now stop this series for awhile. This one based in Hawaii, less interesting to me from that standpoint. Plot involves murder of visitor to the Islands and helicopter pilots who do tours of Hawaii for vacationers.
Heather
Apr 11, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
I liked the mystery but there were some scenes I didn't care for between Drake and Charlie.
Lonette Hendrick
Jun 05, 2012 Lonette Hendrick rated it it was amazing
Great book also!
Karen Taylor
Karen Taylor marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it really liked it
Denise Ross
Denise Ross marked it as to-read
Gail Hind
Gail Hind rated it liked it
Patti Sparkles
Patti Sparkles rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Dagny
Dagny rated it liked it
Janet Matthews
Janet Matthews rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Teri
Teri rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Sharon Kane
Sharon Kane rated it it was ok
May 17, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
C
C rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Aubrey Eveland-dewan
Aubrey Eveland-dewan rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Simon Mitchell
Simon Mitchell rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
  • Pwned (Lexy Cooper Mystery #2)
  • Turquoise Girl (Ella Clah, #12)
  • Dead Suite (A Ghost Dusters Mystery, #4)
  • Statute of Limitations (Posadas County Mystery, #4)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Gay Marriage: Why It Is Good for Gays, Good for Straights, and Good for America
  • How To Have An Almost Perfect Marriage
  • Fatal February
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • Golden Eggs and Other Deadly Things (Carrie Carlin - Book 4)
  • The Fey
  • The Deathly Portent (A Lady Fan Mystery, #2)
  • The Sourdough Wars
  • Desert Cut (A Lena Jones Mystery #5)
  • Grey Matters (Dulcie Schwartz, #2)
  • Octagon
My love of books started with weekly trips to the library as a child and from the moment I learned to read I can't remember a time that I didn't have at least one book going. For the past 25 years, that list has grown to include what I'm reading and what I'm writing at any given time.

I began writing my Charlie Parker series when my husband and I lived on Kauai, then continued them in my home stat
More about Connie Shelton...

Charlie Parker (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Deadly Gamble
  • Partnerships Can Kill (A Charlie Parker Mystery #3)
  • Small Towns Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #4)
  • Memories Can Be Murder
  • Honeymoons Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #6)
  • Reunions Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #7)
  • Competition Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #8)
  • Balloons Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #9)
  • Obsessions Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #10)
  • Gossip Can Be Murder (A Charlie Parker Mystery #11)