Start by marking “Little Nino's Pizzeria” as Want to Read:
Little Nino's Pizzeria

Little Nino's Pizzeria

This exuberant picture book tells the story of Tony, a little boy who helps his father in the family pizzeria. “The scenes are full of visually boisterous activity, with under-pinnings of humorous detail and a clear sense of family closeness so important to the story. A decidedly fresh-looking book.”--Booklist
Published March 15th 1990 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Little Nino's Pizzeria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Nino's Pizzeria

Kelly Timian
Mar 28, 2014 Kelly Timian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
• This book is narrated by a boy named Tony and a pizza restaurant owned by his father Nino. Tony helps Nino make pizzas, serve customers, and bus tables. Together they give extra pizzas to homeless people and the restaurant is very popular because of how good the pizza is. After Nino meets with a business man, “Little Nino’s Pizzeria” closes and he opens a new restaurant “Big Nino” in the interest of making more money. The new restaurant is fancy and equipped with new staff that do not want ...more
Cortney Perkins
This is a book about a little boy who's father owns a pizzeria restaurant. The little boy helps and works with his father. He even gives away leftover pizzas to the homeless. The father closes the doors to the little pizzeria and opens up a big fancy restaurant. The boy tries to help out but instead he is always in the way. The father comes home one night and is exhausted and tells his family he misses making pizzas. So, he goes back to his little pizzeria shop and names it after his son, Tony. ...more
Zequoia Hyche
Jul 14, 2014 Zequoia Hyche rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
This book focuses on family and entrepreneurship. I like how the illustrations make you feel like you are in another part of the world. I instantly thought of Italy, because of the setting, a pizza shop. I enjoyed how the boy had responsibilities working with his father, because he was developing a passion for it at such a young age. It kind of confirms that children like to feel important, and really that speaks to almost everyone. No one likes to feel unappreciated or pushed aside. If you want ...more
Becky B
Sep 29, 2013 Becky B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Tony's dad has a very popular little pizzeria. Tony loves helping out around the place. But one day an important man comes and soon Tony's dad has a much bigger pizza place. But there doesn't seem to be any place for Tony there, or any time for Tony to spend with his dad any more. Soon Tony's dad quits the big restaurant and re-opens his little pizzeria.

The story is sweet in that Tony's dad realizes what's really important and takes some drastic steps to spend more time with his family. I also l
Jana Justen
Jun 23, 2013 Jana Justen rated it it was ok
The illustrations in this book are beautiful, very vibrant and colorful. Children will love looking at all the people in the story. The actual story, I'm not such a big fan of. There are missing details in the story and doesn't flow very well, instead of explaining why Nino closes his pizzeria to open another restaurant, he just does it. That can be confusing for a young child. I would use this in my classroom to show how pictures can enhance a story, making it richer with details from the ...more
Pynteya Bate
Feb 27, 2011 Pynteya Bate rated it really liked it
Shelves: family
I like the story and funny illustrations. It is about the boy who likes to help his father in the pizzeria. He feels good to be important there, he has responsibilities there. But his father accepts the 'big offer" and opens franchise restaurant.Things started to change for him and his family, a little Tonny doesnt feel important anymore, he is on everybody's way. The story has a good ending and good to read when students have a "family" lesson.
Deanna
Mar 23, 2010 Deanna rated it liked it
This is a good book for a mild multicultural lesson. It has a great message that it's always the best idea to do what makes you happy. This book can be used in the upper grades (higher elementary or middle) to tell a simple story of the complex ideas of the growth from a Mom and Pop to a franchise.
I gave it three stars because I think the illustration could have better correlated with the words on each page...you'll have to read it to see what I mean :)
Esther
Tony and his father own a pizza parlor, and has the most delicious pizza! As their restaurant gets more and more famous, their family unfortunately is unable to do what they love to do best: make pizza! This book has great vocabulary for sight words, and is good for a comprehension lesson; predicting what will happen next, and why they think Tony and his dad were no longer able to make as many pizzas as they used to.
Allison
Apr 21, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
This book teaches children about the importance of family. It could also be used to teach the lesson that "bigger is not always better." When Nino leaves behind his small pizzeria for a large restaurant, he realizes that he is sacrificing time with his family and no longer enjoys what he does so he soon decides to reopen his old, small, cheerful pizzeria.
Contemplative
Mar 04, 2009 Contemplative rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Contemplative by: Rachel Harris
This was a favorite for our family. The story is cute & funny and the illustrations are so vibrant and colorful. My 4yr old and 2yr old never tired of this story. There were always new and wonderful details to be found in the pictures. We borrowed it from the library but look forward to purchasing our own for our book collection.
Marianne
Apr 25, 2016 Marianne rated it liked it
Shelves: baa-bar
Absolutely gorgeous, vibrant illustrations. The characters jump out and carry you. But the story is a little too predictable. I am not sure what I would use this for, it's a big person message, do what you love, not what makes money, but in a little kid's book.
Megan Dorcas
Sep 23, 2014 Megan Dorcas rated it really liked it
This story is adorable. I love how the boy gets to actually help around the pizza shop. It says a lot about the dad how he trusted tony with so much. This story is great for children to read because they can relate to tony and hopefully relate to how the family is so close to each other.
Kerri Harshaw
Good to teach children about economics, entrepreneur, making money, costs and benifits of business expnsion.
Lora
Mar 31, 2010 Lora rated it really liked it
Cute, short book about a dad changing from one job to another, written from his son's point of view. Has a happy ending!
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2010
Cate Lium
Cate Lium rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Aranruth
Aranruth rated it did not like it
May 28, 2015
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2016
Melki
Melki rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
Connor Robertson
Connor Robertson rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
The Book Crusader
The Book Crusader rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Deborah Sampson
Deborah Sampson rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Lauren Summers
Lauren Summers rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Reader
Reader rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2010
Alison
Alison rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2015
Nicole L.
Nicole L. rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2012