Start by marking “The Museum of Love” as Want to Read:
The Museum of Love

The Museum of Love

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  32 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
This story traces the journey of a young French Canadian across the top of North America. It is a darkly magical world through which Jean-Michel travels, a blend of brutality and the supernatural, black humour and tenderness, with intrusions of the surreal.
Published February 1st 1995 by The Overlook Press (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Museum of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Museum of Love

Eddie Watkins
Oct 14, 2014 Eddie Watkins rated it really liked it
Shelves: canadian-fiction
Somehow I found my way to this book through the Quay Brothers, whose work is featured on the cover, which is appropriate as both the Quays' work and this book are animated by an elegant morbidity. But while the Quays rarely (never?) explicitly address sex or sexuality, The Museum of Love seems (and I mean seems, as it's very difficult to synopsize this book or even say exactly what it's about) to be primarily about a boy's/young man's initiation into various forms of gay love. Or at least it see ...more
Chris
Aug 08, 2007 Chris added it
Recommends it for: everybody
Weiner has written a violent, sordid, mystical book in a tone that is difficult to maintain for more than a few pages. Like Hemon in Nowhere Man, he failed -- but it doesnt matter. Just like the apostrophe on my keyboard doesnt work, but it doesnt matter. Its worth a read anyhow, because the fragments of plot create a more intricate vehicle than something more coherent might.

The metempsychotic mix, the first-person hallucinations that were not Jean, the narrator we return to, are tiring and per
Shannon
Feb 14, 2008 Shannon marked it as to-read
Recommends it for: people with strong stomachs
Shelves: own
EDIT: Well, dammit. I got swept up in school/other books and I never finished this. It's been long enough now that I feel I'd have to re-read it entirely now. I was more than halfway, too. I suck.

I still haven't finished this, because it's become horrendously depressing and grotesque. If you like death, rape, animal abuse, rape, disfigurement, some more rape, and just generally reading about humans being completely brutal to each other.. you'll probably love this book. It's actually beautifully,
Oct 30, 2010 Sarah added it
i'm only about a third of the way through it, but so far this book is brutal and unpleasant. my obsessive tendencies are forcing me to continue to read it. if i were a stronger person i'd put it down and start something different.

***

i managed to push through it, but this book did not redeem itself. the positive thing that i can say about steve weiner is that he can definitely evoke strong feelings with his writing. but the imagery was just too disturbing for this to be an enjoyable read.
Zara
Sep 04, 2011 Zara marked it as to-read
Shelves: giller-prize
1994 Giller Prize Shortlist
Susan
Jun 26, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. Being half French-Canadian this book spoke loudly to me. The hero, an anti-hero actually if you follow the Canadian mainstream thought of the French as being invalid, witnesses the loss of the likeable identity of the original settlers of North America and takes on idenities of others considered less-likeable from the historical timeset the book covers. In every identity he tries to find an identity and acceptance and travels from his birth ...more
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Christopher Klein
Christopher Klein marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Janette
Janette marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Courtney Williams
Courtney Williams marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
alan reads too much
alan reads too much rated it it was ok
Oct 26, 2015
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Ian Stennett
Ian Stennett rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Steve
Steve added it
Aug 23, 2015
Amber
Amber is currently reading it
May 12, 2016
Amanda Baker
Amanda Baker marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Getoffme
Getoffme marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Emma Garcia-Fritz
Emma Garcia-Fritz rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
catherine
catherine rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Hendrik
Hendrik rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
May 30, 2015
Lisa Strawbridge
Lisa Strawbridge rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Mehvish Irshad
Mehvish Irshad marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Flowers
Flowers marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born in Wisconsin, now based in Vancouver, Steve Weiner studied writing and film animation in California. He is a contributor to The Clear Cut Future , a Clear Cut Press anthology. Weiner's first novel The Museum of Love was nominated for the Giller Prize.

"Mr. Weiner's fictional world has an affinity with the work of the writers Ben Okri and J. G. Ballard, the photographer Joel-Peter Witkin an
More about Steve Weiner...