Start by marking “Der Tag, An Dem Ich Unsichtbar Wurde” as Want to Read:
Der Tag, An Dem Ich Unsichtbar Wurde

Der Tag, An Dem Ich Unsichtbar Wurde

3.13 of 5 stars 3.13  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Civil War fiction of the 1990s, following the lead of filmmaker Ken Burns and historian Shelby Foote, tends to explore hagiographic themes, espousing platitudes about political self-determination, national reconciliation, and the liberation of those in bondage. Jack Dann's The Silent is a wildly eccentric exception to this rule that reads like a prequel to R.E.M.'s Fables ...more
Published (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Der Tag, An Dem Ich Unsichtbar Wurde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Tag, An Dem Ich Unsichtbar Wurde

Ryan Lantzy
when I first looked at the silent I thought it was going to be a book that I would really enjoy, turns out that I was wrong. there was nothing really wrong with the story I just did not enjoy it like I thought that I would have. I believe that the book is too long meaning they carry out the story to much there are a lot of things that didn't need to be added to the book that were. That is the main reason that I thought that the book was a boring read. If you need a book were something grabs your ...more
Krista
The Silent takes place in Virginia during the Civil War. The main character (Mundy) witnesses a tragedy and then leaves home. Mundy travels all around and meets many people; this book is a story of his travels. Long descriptions make the read boring and slow. I prefer books with a more exciting and entertaining plot.
Ryan Petty
How this got published I don't know. I tried to get into it, but the story was lacking so I only read about half. I know it is written from the perspective of a 14 year old boy, but that shouldn't be an excuse for poor writing. I wouldn't recommend this book at all for a Civil War book.
Laura Tims
Difficult to stay interested in but forced myself to finish it hoping it would have a really great ending. Which it did not. In fact,I don't even understand the ending. Would not recommend.
Larry
I was looking for a good Civil War fiction book as a change of pace and googled some top CW fiction lists. This book appeared on several so I thought I'd give it a try. It was published in 1999 and although Amazon sells it, finding it through most libraries is hit and miss. Had to order it from another system.
But I'm sure glad I read it. Set during the war in the Shenandoah valley, it is the story of a boy who witnesses the murder of his family and as a result is struck dumb and dazed. He wander
Rena Sherwood
Best fiction about the American Civil War that I've ever read. I had read anthologies edited by Jack Dann but was surprised to see that he's a talented and imaginative author in his own right (write.) The Silent is a book that does not fall neatly into any categories -- except, perhaps, magical realism. There's plenty of sex and violence, though. If you like horror books, then here is one about one of the most horrific events in American history.
Kathleen McRae
The Silent is the story of a young 14 yr old boy who lost his parents and everything he has ever known during the civil war.He experiences things so awful and he becomes so traumatized that his speech leaves him.the story chronicles the horrific events of the civil war thru the eyes of a young boy with PTSD.This is based on a actual person but the story is the invention of the author.Another story that points out the wrongness of glorifying!
Kevin Irwin
The Silent is the story of a Virginian adolescent during the American Civil War. The reader goes with Mundy on all of his so called "adventures." The plot lacks excitement. A long book is fine if it is detailed, but The Silent is not. Jack Dann essentially rewrote a duller version of Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn set in the Civil War. I do not recommend this book for average readers who are seeking an easy read.
Jennww2ns
Gave up at chapter 6 - just couldn't get into it. The kid wanders and thinks he's invisible and imagine things the whole time. That's all that happens. It's boring.
Kate