Start by marking “Astérix le Gaulois (Asterix, #1)” as Want to Read:
Astérix le Gaulois (Asterix, #1)

Astérix le Gaulois (Asterix #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  13,288 ratings  ·  216 reviews
Dans le camp fortifié romain Petibonum, on se pose des questions : comment les Irréductibles Gaulois du village d’Astérix font-ils pour ridiculiser encore et toujours la puissance romaine ? Décidé à percer à jour le mystère de la force surhumaine de nos héros, le centurion Caius Bonus envoie un espion déguisé en Gaulois.

C’est Caligula Minus qui s’y colle, et découvre bien
Published June 16th 2005 by Hachette (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Astérix le Gaulois, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astérix le Gaulois

Bruce
Well, *have* you read all the Asterix books? It's a fair question. We've read these, but these aren't all. There are, in fact, at least 8 not identified here. Quick quiz Asterix fans - can you name them without resorting to internet memory? [image error]

I had the tremendous good fortune to find all but a few of the published volumes in one of our local libraries, and to be able to borrow the remainder of those I could not find from a friend who collects them. If you've yet to be introduced to th
Ken-ichi
Oh man. I grew up reading these. Facts gleaned from Asterix still probably constitute the majority of my admittedly scant knowledge of European geography and history. Vitalstatistix! Cacophonix! Whoever did the translations was a genius.
Helmut
Eine haarige Angelegenheit
Manchmal fällt es einem Rezensenten schwer, die richtigen Worte zu finden. Mir geht das bei Büchern so, die ich schon so lange kenne, dass man denkt, alles wurde darüber schon gesagt - und die Astérix-Reihe ist so ein Fall. Wer kennt es nicht, wer hat es nicht schon als Kind gelesen? Was soll ich Euch also erzählen, was Ihr nicht eh schon wisst?

Auch wenn die Zeichnungen in den ersten paar Seiten noch etwas ungelenk wirken, ist der Charakter der Figuren schon voll ausgea
Manas Maity
Asterix the Gaul is the first book of a series that took comics to a new height. Since I have read it after enjoying a few others in the series, it is difficult to make an unbiased review of it. However, with the benefit of hindsight it may be said that the characters have 'arrived', but to be properly fleshed out and filled up. Particularly Obelix, who is quite slim, if not so thin. We are sure though that consuming more than one boars at at time, he has made a promising start towards his perso ...more
Kim
One of my favourite comic series of all time. This series really increased my love of history. Like the Tintin reread I'm doing I will also endeavour to read all the Asterix books once again.

Unlike Tintin the early Asterix comics are much more accessible. There is no blatant racism. It's just a fun little adventure. The first book is just an introduction to the main characters and their abilities.

I can't wait to get through the rest of the series.
Jonatan Iversen-Ejve
Asterix is definitely one of my favorite comic book series of all time. I've only come to like the albums more as I grow older, and seeing as I reread them at least once a year I thought it only right that I take a shot at reviewing them as well. Keep in mind that I read the Swedish editions and might get a few names wrong. I'll try to stick to the English names as much as I can.

So, here goes. Asterix the Gaul is the very first album, and it shows. For me the whole thing always felt like some so
Chris
You haven't met Asterix before? Shame on you. Don't you know that Asterix is so famous he becomes the French farmer facing down the Roman Mickey D's?

Yes, the story is simplstic, but all the things that make Asterix great are here. The punning names, the silly plot, the smart Gauls, the boars.

Great start to a great series.
Bronwen
I read all the Asterix books multiple times when I was a kid & loved them to pieces. I think it's almost time for a fresh reread!
Matthew Hunter
Funny. Smart. Irreverent. I loved it! The punny names work perfectly - a Roman Centurian General named Crismus Bonus, a Centurian of lower rank named Ginantonix, a Druid that provides strength potions to the Gauls named Getafix, a bad bard named Cacofonix. Then there are appetites big enough to eat two entire boars at one sitting. Critical commentary on imperialism and classical civilization. Bright, Looney Tunes-like artwork. It all comes together into something humorous, entertaining, and nice ...more
David Sarkies
The first Asterix album
14 April 2012

Now that I have the complete Tintin collection I decided that I would get my hands on the other comic book series that I liked as a child, which surprise, surprise, was Asterix. I am sure many of you already know the premise behind Asterix, but since this is the first of the albums I thought that I might run through it anyway. The story is set in 50BC after Julius Ceaser has conquered Gaul, or almost. There is one little village on the coast of Gaul that just
Coenraad
Wat 'n plesier om die avonture van Asterix in skitterende Afrikaans te kan lees! Dit is nogal sprekend dat dié dapper, hardekwas klein Galliër reeds 50 jaar gelede die eerste keer in boekvorm verskyn het, en nou weer in Afrikaans 'oorgeklank' word. Daar was jare gelede enkele Asterix-avonture in Afrikaans; nou het Protea die taak aangepak om die hele reeks te vertaal en beskikbaar te stel.

Die verhaal is seker bekend aan Asterix-aanhangers: die Romeine, wat onder Julius Caesar se leiding die hele
Muhammad Shakhawat Hossain
Okay, I'm not sure if I'm 'too grown up' for enjoying Asterix series but I didn't like the humours much. The plot was very linear and the storyline lacks complexity. All the villains are made too naive and downgraded in terms of their intelligence. The protagonists can subdue them very easily with their 'superior' intellect. At times things became too trivial. It basically occurred to me as an alternate world created from a hardcore French (or more accurately Gaulish) nationalist view where the ...more
Mythili
Years ago my dad bought the entire collection of Asterix and I had read most of them. Even though I remember the plotlines and the hilarious names, rereading is just as much fun! There is never a dull moment and the situations are so excessively hilarious that I find myself shutting the book to laugh for a good couple of minutes and resuming a moment later.

As far as comics go, Asterix is the best when it comes to historical and political satire. I would recommend this to pretty much anyone.
Isdlions
This is a funny story of the great(and funny, crazy)warrior Asterix, his friend Obelix,(and his dog Dogmatix)the druid getafix who brews magic potion. There is also an bard (with an annoyingly bad voice), Cacofonix. Cacofonix thinks he's a genious. It all takes place in Gaul,year B.C.50. In the story, a roman spy dressed up like an gaul comes to know the secret of their strength. The gauls think he is a real Gaul, and they invite him in! They also gives the Magic potion, too! But when they dance ...more
Usama Albastaki
This is the first volume of Asterix series. It wasn't my introduction to the world of Asterix and Obelix but it could be a good introduction to someone who will start to read the series, despite that Obelix have minor role in this story. As with the other stories, Goscinny has shinned with beautiful story line and his magical touch of humor that makes you lough from the heart.

In general, Asterix and Obelix is representative of a people in a small village/country who keep the culture preserved fr
Karhum Ghassan
Asterix the Gaul is the first book of a series that took comics to another level. Since I have read it after enjoying others in the same series, it is difficult to make review of it. However,it may be said that the characters have 'arrived'.In particular Obelix, who is quite slender, if not so thin. I am sure that eating more than one boar at at time, he has made a promising start towards his personal fulfillment. The Romans are also immature and surrender rather 'immaturely'. Again, it may be s ...more
Gary
Asterix the Gaul is the first book of the Asterix series where a Gaulish village is surrounded by roman camps and the only reason they are holding out against them is the magic potion their druid brews.
In this series the Romans try to find the source of their foes unnatural abilities by disguising one of their solders as a Gaul and allowing the villagers to free him. While there he convinces them to let him drink the potion but then is found out to be a spy. He escapes and shows his commander th
Brad Pitts
Oct 24, 2014 Brad Pitts is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
bdbdbdb
Riku Sayuj
Learning French through comics. Good fun.
Molly
Since I have always been a fan of the Asterix PEZ dispensors I knew I should probably read the graphic novel. I am so happy I did. I can see these working as a great read aloud for the fans of Bone. It is a smart comic about good guys, bad guys and kinda bad guys. I really got a good laugh and enjoyed seeing how the Gauls stayed out of trouble. Grades 3+
Ioanna
I have read i think all of them...and there is not one i liked less.....This series helped me though my exams to enter university....i would wake up in the morning read one intallment and then i would start studying....and i have re-read them like a thousand times....:)
Vasco Ribeiro
Leitura para recordar a juventude ... Estava à espera de mais, mas também este é o primeiro "episódio", é suposto que tenham acertado a mão e melhorado.
Resumo: Os Romanos intrigados pelo segredo da resistencia da pequena aldeia gaulesa pretendem descobrir a poção mágica. Para isso raptam o Druida Panomarix. Astérix, sózinho, vai resgatá-lo e ambos, pela astúcia e inteligência conseguem enganar os Romanos dando-lhes uma poção que aumenta os cabelos. Depois negoceiam a entrega de um antídoto, quan
Sandra
With the exception of Mickey Mouse, this was my favorite comics series as a child and into young adulthood. I would love to get my hands on copies of these.
Kally
I thought that it was funny in a fair few parts. Glad I read this one first...little unlucky that the library doesn't have them all
Teresa
Asterix was my favourite cartoon style picture book, we always couldnt wait to ge tthe next one from the library
Prithvi.bits
Just started this series.. It's looking good
Chris
I don't often read graphic novels but the few I have read I have enjoyed. Some people do not consider graphic novels to be serious reading material and I can see their point but at the same time I think it is fun to read them from time to time and they sometimes have a surprising amount to offer.

The Asterix comic books are a good example of this. First published in France in 1959, there have been 34 books to date, the most recent written in 2009. There have also been 11 films (animated and other
Christopher Bunn
There's a bookshelf behind the piano at my parents' house full of almost every Asterix book (and Tintin book, for that matter). I grew up reading the Asterix books, over and over and over again. I started out in appreciate of the adventure and crazy characters. As my thinking progressed, I started appreciating the punnery as well. They're wonderful books, superbly drawn and written with wit and real affection for the art of story-telling.

I'm extremely selective about buying new books. It comes
Lady Knight
I know it's fairly unusual for a person of my age (early twenties) to have grown up with Asterix, but my mom was a fan of the "good old ones" and at an early age I read Asterix and Tintin side by side with Laura Ingalls Wilder, Enid Blyton, Heidi, and Nancy Drew. Rereading this now I find that the magic is still there for me... if not grown a little because I actually catch on to the puns in the names, understand mroe of Roman and Gaulish history, and after taking French Immersion in school for ...more
Sam
Asterix the Gaul is the first volume in the Asterix comic book series. It is set in occupied Gaul and focuses on a village that is holding out against the Romans. The story’s protagonist is Asterix, a Gaulish warrior who, thanks to the magic potion provided by his druid friend Getafix, fights single handedly against Roman centurions. His best friend is Obelix, a Gaulish warrior who has superhuman strengths as a result of falling into Getafix’s magic potion as a baby. In this adventure, Asterix h ...more
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • Land of Black Gold (Tintin, #15)
  • Dalton City (Lucky Luke Adventure, vol. 3)
  • The Complete Guide To Asterix
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...
Le petit Nicolas (Le petit Nicolas, #1) Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6) Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8) Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2) Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)