Start by marking “Astérix le Gaulois (Asterix, #1)” as Want to Read:
Astérix le Gaulois (Asterix, #1)

Astérix le Gaulois (Astérix #1)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  15,883 Ratings  ·  290 Reviews
Dans le camp fortifié romain Petibonum, on se pose des questions : comment les Irréductibles Gaulois du village d’Astérix font-ils pour ridiculiser encore et toujours la puissance romaine ? Décidé à percer à jour le mystère de la force surhumaine de nos héros, le centurion Caius Bonus envoie un espion déguisé en Gaulois.

C’est Caligula Minus qui s’y colle, et découvre bien
Published June 16th 2005 by Hachette (first published October 29th 1959)

Traveller

A kindred spirit...

Family portrait.

Sport/recreation/favorite pastime.

=========

For those not familiar with the Asterix comics, let me give you a bit of background, both personal and general.

Let me start with Julius Caesar.
We all know him, eh? And most of us probably know that Ceasar defeated the Gauls, thereby incidentally Latinizing and unifying them.

After conquering and annexing Gaul with a two-year war, fought from 52 to 50 BC, he did actually see a small rebellion, though not quite of the k
Ted
May 19, 2015 Ted rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ???
3 1/2

UPDATE at bottom

I got this over Christmas last, when I saw some lying in a book store. There are (according to a list inside the front cover) 33 Books available in English translation, available singly or in Omnibus editions of 3 Books each.

I glanced at it, browsing a bit as it lay on the table in my family room for months. Amusing.

I had really picked it up for my grandson, who's just turned seven. But when I tried to interest him in it, he was not very enthusiastic. Perhaps he saw a bunch
Matt
+++ BREAKING +++

(Berlin) Is this the end of the indomitable Gauls?
Ehapa publishing house announced on Wednesday, that all volumes of the popular Asterix series of author René Goscinny and illustrator Albert Uderzo will be immediately removed from trade. The publisher responds to an inquiry by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) in Germany, who was able to demonstrate years of extensive doping of the popular cartoon characters. At the end of last week, the NADA had published their results. Ac
Pramod Nair
Ah! Asterix and his picturesque little village in Gaul with its stubborn yet hilarious bunch of residents gave me such a heavy dose of enjoyment during my high school vacation days.

Each volume of this series is supremely rich in wonderful cartoon sketches, lots of humor and superb characters. Full marks goes to René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo for creating a bunch of such loveable characters and an exciting series of humorous adventures based on political & historical references. The transla
Bruce
Jun 20, 2014 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, *have* you read all the Asterix books? It's a fair question. We've read these, but these aren't all. There are, in fact, at least 8 not identified here. Quick quiz Asterix fans - can you name them without resorting to internet memory? [image error]

I had the tremendous good fortune to find all but a few of the published volumes in one of our local libraries, and to be able to borrow the remainder of those I could not find from a friend who collects them. If you've yet to be introduced to th
FeReSHte
خود کاراکترها و طنز داستان هم جالب بود
خوب بود در کل
Ken-ichi
Jul 18, 2014 Ken-ichi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man. I grew up reading these. Facts gleaned from Asterix still probably constitute the majority of my admittedly scant knowledge of European geography and history. Vitalstatistix! Cacophonix! Whoever did the translations was a genius.
Gavin
Jun 23, 2015 Gavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: funny, cartoon
Asterix was where I first started reading comics. My dad had them, and they seemed cool...I remember it was so long ago that they put out a new one with the Original Goscinny and Uderzo, and it was a big treat, a Father's Day present for him.

This is where it all starts. The art improves from here, and our heroes look a bit different before they evolve...

The puns, the play on words, the names, slapstick violence, history, this series has it all.

You grew up with Tin Tin or Asterix. Both French, b
Kavita
Feb 10, 2016 Kavita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
By Toutatis! Everyone should read this beginning book of a brilliant series!

There are only a very few characters in this book, and the village crowd have not yet appeared. We only meet Asterix, Obelix, Vitalstatistix, Cacofanix and Getafix. But we get to meet the Romans and Julius Caesar himself.

I am always left dazed by the brilliance of the puns in this series, and this first effort was no different. The English translation also complements the original French so effortlessly that it's a com
Maria Carmo
Brilliant! This very first volume of Asterix is so very funny, and it is like a taste of what is coming with this series: lots of humour, cunning characters and a crude depiction of some of the best and worst psychological characteristics of humanity!

Definitely worth reading this series!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 6 April 2015.
David Sarkies
Mar 12, 2014 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
The first Asterix album
14 April 2012

Now that I have the complete Tintin collection I decided that I would get my hands on the other comic book series that I liked as a child, which surprise, surprise, was Asterix. I am sure many of you already know the premise behind Asterix, but since this is the first of the albums I thought that I might run through it anyway. The story is set in 50BC after Julius Ceaser has conquered Gaul, or almost. There is one little village on the coast of Gaul that just
Jonatan Iversen-Ejve
Asterix is definitely one of my favorite comic book series of all time. I've only come to like the albums more as I grow older, and seeing as I reread them at least once a year I thought it only right that I take a shot at reviewing them as well. Keep in mind that I read the Swedish editions and might get a few names wrong. I'll try to stick to the English names as much as I can.

So, here goes. Asterix the Gaul is the very first album, and it shows. For me the whole thing always felt like some so
Helmut
Aug 11, 2013 Helmut rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Eine haarige Angelegenheit
Manchmal fällt es einem Rezensenten schwer, die richtigen Worte zu finden. Mir geht das bei Büchern so, die ich schon so lange kenne, dass man denkt, alles wurde darüber schon gesagt - und die Astérix-Reihe ist so ein Fall. Wer kennt es nicht, wer hat es nicht schon als Kind gelesen? Was soll ich Euch also erzählen, was Ihr nicht eh schon wisst?

Auch wenn die Zeichnungen in den ersten paar Seiten noch etwas ungelenk wirken, ist der Charakter der Figuren schon voll ausgea
Matti Karjalainen
Vuonna 1961 ranskaksi ilmestynyt "Asterix gallialainen" oli ihan ensimmäinen Asterix-albumi. Sarjakuvan kaikki peruspiirteet ovat jo kohdillaan, mitä nyt henkilöhahmojen ulkomuoto hakee vielä paikkaansa; esimerkiksi Obelix on tainnut lihoa vähäsen vuosien varrella...
Manas Maity
Sep 05, 2011 Manas Maity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Asterix the Gaul is the first book of a series that took comics to a new height. Since I have read it after enjoying a few others in the series, it is difficult to make an unbiased review of it. However, with the benefit of hindsight it may be said that the characters have 'arrived', but to be properly fleshed out and filled up. Particularly Obelix, who is quite slim, if not so thin. We are sure though that consuming more than one boars at at time, he has made a promising start towards his perso ...more
Gary
Apr 10, 2016 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children 10 and over, adults
Recommended to Gary by: Colchester Royal Grammar School
I love the Asterix series of cartoon books. I have been reading them since I was 12 and still love them now. At school I attempted to read them in French, German and Latin, as well as English, of course, though not terribly successfully!
These are comics, essentially, with brilliant illustrations that are the star of the show; particularly of the poor Romans, who start off being rough, tough and no-nonsense, to ending up bent, brow-beaten and defeated, with sad, sagging faces. The names are great
Juan Escobar
Oct 29, 2015 Juan Escobar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Para entender a una de las tribus que le resistieron a los romanos, lo mejor, Asterix - El Galo. Ya que no lo leí cuando niño, ahora grande me desquito
Becky
Apr 05, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The year is 50 BC, and all Gaul is occupied. Only one small village of indomitable Gauls still holds out against the invaders." These Gauls get their superhuman strength from a magic potion brewed by the village's druid, Getafix. The heroes are Asterix and Obelix. Obelix fell into the pot of potion when a baby and so is always strong. Asterix gets his strength from the potion for a period of time, but also relies heavily on his whits to defeat this Romans. In this, the first comic of the Asteri ...more
Kim
One of my favourite comic series of all time. This series really increased my love of history. Like the Tintin reread I'm doing I will also endeavour to read all the Asterix books once again.

Unlike Tintin the early Asterix comics are much more accessible. There is no blatant racism. It's just a fun little adventure. The first book is just an introduction to the main characters and their abilities.

I can't wait to get through the rest of the series.
Rodolfo
Apr 16, 2016 Rodolfo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ideal para desconectar!!!!
Hitessh Panchal
Apr 18, 2016 Hitessh Panchal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nostalgic !!!
Chris
You haven't met Asterix before? Shame on you. Don't you know that Asterix is so famous he becomes the French farmer facing down the Roman Mickey D's?

Yes, the story is simplstic, but all the things that make Asterix great are here. The punning names, the silly plot, the smart Gauls, the boars.

Great start to a great series.
Ioanna
Feb 10, 2011 Ioanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read i think all of them...and there is not one i liked less.....This series helped me though my exams to enter university....i would wake up in the morning read one intallment and then i would start studying....and i have re-read them like a thousand times....:)
Bronwen
I read all the Asterix books multiple times when I was a kid & loved them to pieces. I think it's almost time for a fresh reread!
Marts  (Thinker)
One of those illustrated series we always read as children... quite alot of fun actually, a true classic...
Coenraad
Jan 11, 2013 Coenraad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wat 'n plesier om die avonture van Asterix in skitterende Afrikaans te kan lees! Dit is nogal sprekend dat dié dapper, hardekwas klein Galliër reeds 50 jaar gelede die eerste keer in boekvorm verskyn het, en nou weer in Afrikaans 'oorgeklank' word. Daar was jare gelede enkele Asterix-avonture in Afrikaans; nou het Protea die taak aangepak om die hele reeks te vertaal en beskikbaar te stel.

Die verhaal is seker bekend aan Asterix-aanhangers: die Romeine, wat onder Julius Caesar se leiding die hele
Muhammad Shakhawat Hossain
Okay, I'm not sure if I'm 'too grown up' for enjoying Asterix series but I didn't like the humours much. The plot was very linear and the storyline lacks complexity. All the villains are made too naive and downgraded in terms of their intelligence. The protagonists can subdue them very easily with their 'superior' intellect. At times things became too trivial. It basically occurred to me as an alternate world created from a hardcore French (or more accurately Gaulish) nationalist view where the ...more
Mythili
Nov 09, 2014 Mythili rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Years ago my dad bought the entire collection of Asterix and I had read most of them. Even though I remember the plotlines and the hilarious names, rereading is just as much fun! There is never a dull moment and the situations are so excessively hilarious that I find myself shutting the book to laugh for a good couple of minutes and resuming a moment later.

As far as comics go, Asterix is the best when it comes to historical and political satire. I would recommend this to pretty much anyone.
Knut Sigurd
Oct 20, 2015 Knut Sigurd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bd
Særleg når ein startar på ny gjennomlesing av samtlege er det gøy å sjå både kor mykje som har sett seg og kor mykje som stadig er under utvikling. Asterix og Abraracourcix (Miraculix) går gjennom synlege endringar, og høvdingen kjenner vi att mest berre fordi han blir boren på skjoldet. Humoren er allereide sterkt ordspelbasert og mykje godt på plass alt her i første band.
Isdlions
This is a funny story of the great(and funny, crazy)warrior Asterix, his friend Obelix,(and his dog Dogmatix)the druid getafix who brews magic potion. There is also an bard (with an annoyingly bad voice), Cacofonix. Cacofonix thinks he's a genious. It all takes place in Gaul,year B.C.50. In the story, a roman spy dressed up like an gaul comes to know the secret of their strength. The gauls think he is a real Gaul, and they invite him in! They also gives the Magic potion, too! But when they dance ...more
wihich is your favourite asterix comic? 3 6 Feb 07, 2016 08:16AM
  • Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin, #5)
  • Asterix and the Picts (Asterix #35)
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...

Astérix (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Asterix, #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)
  • Asterix and the Chieftain's Shield (Asterix, #11)