Start by marking “Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)” as Want to Read:
Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)

Asterix and the Great Divide (Astérix #25)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,533 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Can there ever be a happy ending for star-crossed lovers Melodrama and Histionix, whose fathers are rival chieftains of the same village? The only hope is to call in Asterix, Obelix and Getafix to sort out the feud, the intriguing of the sinister traitor Codfix, and the military might of Rome. Watch out for some interesting new magic potions...
Published November 15th 2001 by Asterix (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix and the Great Divide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix and the Great Divide

Nicolo Yu
May 21, 2014 Nicolo Yu rated it liked it
I've always preferred my Asterix to be done by both Goscinny and Uderzo but seeing this volume on clearance was just too hard to ignore, so I bought it. This volume was the second Uderzo did solo after Goscinny passed away and there isn't any noticeable difference. I've only read a handful of the books and I feel need to read more but I guess I could say that it still feels like Asteriz. Uderzo didn't try too much to deviate from what made Asteriz beloved to generations of readers.

It wasn't a ba
itchy
Oct 04, 2015 itchy rated it really liked it
Shelves: ys
codfix: i'm from majestix, rightful chief of the right side of our village. i'm his alter ego and right hand.
centurion umbrageous cumulonimbus: and this is my left foot! be off, or it'll alter your ego.

we'll miss you, rené
Jerome
Apr 24, 2015 Jerome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this parody of “Romeo and Juliet” (with elements of Lord of the Rings present) a Gallic village is divided by a deep ditch, with each section ruled by a different chief. Both chiefs hate each other, while their children are engaged in a secretive romance. One of the chiefs, Cleverdix, calls for the aid of Vitalstatistix to help settle the dispute, and Asterix, Obelix, and Getafix are sent to see it done. At the same time, a creepy fish-like creature named Codefix is manipulating the other chi ...more
Alex Wilson
Jun 07, 2014 Alex Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: when-i-was-7
This book was about two people that wanted to marry each other but there was this guy that was mean and he was half human and half fish. He captured the chief's daughter who was one of the people who loved the other person. She whacked the person in the face when it was gonna offer her flowers because she knew it was gone whack her on the face. It was fish guy.
Frederick Tan
Jan 29, 2016 Frederick Tan rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Can there ever be a happy ending for star-crossed lovers Melodrama and Histionix, whose fathers are rival chieftains of the same village? Asterix and Obelix again have to do some ingenuous maneuver to convince the rival chieftains to agree to disagree for the greater good of the star cross lovers.
Vasco Ribeiro
Jan 01, 2016 Vasco Ribeiro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Adaptação da história de romeu e Julieta à realidade gaulesa. Uma aldeia divide-se politicamente em duas, através de um fosso que separa as duas metades da aldeia. O chefe de um dos lado tem uma jovem filha o chefe do outro lado tem um jovem filho (o único que não é desenhado na tradicional forma bonacheirona dos gauleses mas com uma figura esbelta de galã) há ainda um intriguista do lado do chefe que tem a filha e que ambiciona casar com ela. O jovem vai pedir ajuda aos nosso amigos gauleses po ...more
Linda Hall
May 28, 2014 Linda Hall rated it it was amazing
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
Karhum Ghassan
Dec 11, 2012 Karhum Ghassan rated it it was amazing
The whole series is very funny and engrossing. The premise is that of a tiny community in ancient Gaul that has firmly resisted the occupation of the Roman Empire now all of Gaul is conquered by the Romans except for the small village surround by several roman camps, thanks to a magic potion produced/provided by the druid that grants outstanding strength. In all-ways, I learned quite a bit about the Roman army through this series. It has been translated into a countless number of languages, but ...more
Mateen Mahboubi
Jan 10, 2016 Mateen Mahboubi rated it liked it
A good effort but Goscinny is definitely missed. Jokes are just missing a bit of punch and the story could have been developed a bit better.
Saint No Stopping Us

Seven out of ten. CBR format.

When two rival chieftains split their town in half, a pair of young lovers split on either side need Asterix and Obelix to resolve the situation.

Kevin
Jul 15, 2008 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is the first of Asterix comics I've read, and the whole series is very funny and engrossing. The premise is that of a tiny community in ancient Gaul that has firmly resisted the occupation of the Roman Empire thanks to a magic potion produced by the local druid that grants exceptional strength. In retrospect, I learned quite a bit about the Roman military through this series. It has been translated into a huge number of languages, but they're almost not worth reading in anything but the ori ...more
Greg
Jan 29, 2016 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to laugh and laugh at the title of this one alone. Great story.
Edward Davies
Aug 24, 2015 Edward Davies rated it really liked it
Asterix's very own version of Romeo and Juliet is great fun to read.
Veronique
Aug 20, 2015 Veronique rated it liked it
3.5
Yves
Dec 07, 2011 Yves rated it did not like it
Shelves: bd
Depuis ma jeunesse, je déteste le Grand Fossé. C'est le premier que ma mère m'a acheté avec Astérix chez les Helvètes. Celui-ci est vraiment mauvais. Il y a plusieurs jeux de mots qui ne sont pas drôle. L'histoire de Roméo et Juliette à la sauce gauloise est vraiment d'un ennuie. Même les pirates ne m'ont pas fait rire. La fin avec les romains est complètement stupide. C'en est une insulte à mon intelligence.
Bruce
Jul 15, 2010 Bruce rated it it was amazing
Asterix the Great Divide – an excellent companion to Asterix and Caesar’s Gift, this one analogizes two-party governance to a Romeo & Juliet-style feud, as Druid Getafix calls upon a village that’s literally split right down the middle by competing co-chieftains.
Matthew Hunter
One of the better Goscinny-less attempts by Uderzo. Goscinny's absence still shows, however. Political satire? Weak. Word and name puns? Weak. One-line knee-slappers? Slapless. The attempt to play on themes from Romeo and Juliet? Meh. Artwork? First-rate. It took Goscinny to give that artwork some soul-depth, however. A somewhat fun, uninspiring read.
Indah Threez Lestari
Cerita ini mengingatkanku pada kisah cinta orang tuaku di sebuah desa di Cirebon, yang terbagi dua oleh sebuah kali. Di bagian utara daerah "Sunda", di bagian selatan daerah "Jawa". Ayah berasal dari utara dan ibu dari selatan, tapi toh berjodoh...

Bedanya, permusuhan antar golongan utara dan selatan nggak separah di komik Asterix.
Amalie
Oct 15, 2012 Amalie rated it liked it
Well it's good,I suppose I'm not sure though. Not one of my favourites.

An allegory of the Berlin Wall in the guise of a Romeo and Juliet tale.

There's a lot of repeating ideas, jokes, I don't know some how, it lacks the originality in the plot but Uderzo's art is still priceless.
Meghan
Aug 03, 2011 Meghan added it
Reading the Pendragon Cycle reminded me of these comics, as they have some thematic overlap with the Roman Empire, Gaul, Britannia, bards, druids, etc. I own a couple of these, but read tons of them at the library as a kid. Loving the wordplay and names all over again. :)
Nacho
Apr 06, 2014 Nacho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic, juvenil
Uderzo mantuvo el tipo en el primer volumen sin Goscinny. A partir de ahí fue otro cantar...
Devero
Aug 22, 2014 Devero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La prima avventura interamente realizzata da Uderzo dopo la morte di Goscinny si fa notare subito per l'allegoria col muro di Berlino. A me piacque moltissimo, alcune trovate e battute sono tra le migliori in assoluto. Un'ottima storia.
Angel Serrano
Un pueblo galo, vecino al de Asterix, está separado por una gran zanja y sus dos jefes están enemistados. Para vencer a su enemigo, una de las facciones se alía con el invasor romano. Asterix, Obelix y Panoramix acuden al rescate.
Federiken Masters
Mar 05, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Varios
Recommended to Federiken by: Padre
Último tomo de asterix que se puede leer de principio a fin sin esa melancólica sensación de "Ya no es lo mismo". Miento: el final es bastante pelotudo. Pero aun así, una aventura muy entertenida y con varios chistes graciosos.
Fi♥4♥Love
I've read this series of Asterix (and Obelisk) in the 90's at my Grandmother and Grandfather's place. I loved this series back there. Asterix and his friend Obelisk shared so many great adventures together!
Mariana
Nov 05, 2013 Mariana rated it it was amazing
The classic story of a forbidden love (more or less). I can't say it's one of my favorites but I still loved it. Although I wish they'd have gone to another country, it still is one of my favorites.
Verity
Mar 07, 2009 Verity added it
Shelves: asterix
Star-crossed luvers Histrionix & Melodrama seek help from Asterix & Obelix to mediate peace between their bickering dads. 1st solo by Uderzo after Goscinny passed away. Ho-hum.
Clicque
Dec 04, 2014 Clicque marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Tegneserie. Da Asterix og hans venner skal mgle i en landsbystrid mellem to herskesyge hvdinge, indblandes romerne. Uheldigvis kommer de i besiddelse af den famse trylledrik. ...more
Frahorus
Dec 03, 2013 Frahorus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fumetti
Asterix e Obelix aiutano una coppia di fidanzati separati dall'odio delle loro famiglie... una riproposizione di Romeo e Giulietta...gallici!
Dimitri
Jun 20, 2007 Dimitri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the first attempt of Uderzo to go solo. Not bad but he can not reach Goscini's grandeur. Subsequent stories get worse.
  • Asterix and the Soothsayer (Asterix, #19)
Albert Uderzo is a legendary French artist and illustrator, best known for his collaborations with the late René Goscinny on series such as Asterix.
More about Albert Uderzo...

Astérix (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Asterix, #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)