Start by marking “Asterix and the Secret Weapon (Asterix #29)” as Want to Read:
Asterix and the Secret Weapon (Asterix #29)

Asterix and the Secret Weapon (Asterix #29)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  2,166 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A woman bard? That’s unheard of in Ancient Gaul. So, when the mothers in Asterix’s town want to replace Cacofonix with Bravura, the men are horrified. But, Bravura hits the right notes musically, and she proves very valuable when Julius Caesar sends in his secret weapon: a group of female legionnaries. Caesar thinks the Gauls will be too noble to fight the women...but Brav ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Orion (first published October 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix and the Secret Weapon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix and the Secret Weapon

Yves
Dec 24, 2011 Yves rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: bd
Cette BD d'Astérix est aussi mauvaise que le Grand Fossé. Je n'ai eu aucun plaisir à lire cette histoire. Le personnage de Maestria n'est pas du tout amusant et elle est même détestable par moment. Je crois que le sujet du féminisme aurait pu être mieux abordé. L'aventure a été écrit en 1990 mais elle semble plutôt sortie directement des années 1960-1970. Uderzo est un mauvais auteur. Il devrait peut-être trouver un autre scénariste ou tout simplement arrêter. C'est le dernier des Astérix que je ...more
Johnny Appleseed
Number 29, and written and illustrated by Albert Uderzo, and you can tell straight away. While Goscinny was alive and well and was doing all the writing for the Asterix series there was amazing dry wit and puns that were a little more sly than Uderzo is capable of by himself. This book especially seemed to be crammed with puns and didn't have the rich feel that the Goscinny writing had. Asterix is one of the great comics, and although Uderzo is an excellent illustrator the series is best left at ...more
M. A. P.
Honestly, this issue is among my least favourite ones. Does it include that dry, simple humour Asterix is often enjoyed for? To an extent. What gnawed on my enjoyment the most was how much of the story's humour revolved around sexist stereotypes regarding women. Not to mention the trite idea of feminism being about female dominance, and thus a menace to men and the normal societal order. However, even when the tiring play with stereotyping is deducted from the equation, the punchlines remain rat ...more
MsDiamondEye (I was looking for a breath of life)
Ωχ Θεε μου!! Επιτελους το τελειωσα! Ηταν το μονο κομιξ του Αστεριξ που δεν ειχα διαβασει καθολου... Τα περισσοτερα τα εχω διαβασει 2 με 3 φορες το καθενα... Αυτο δεν το ειχα ξεκινησει καθολου γιατι ηταν στα Αρχαια. Ε και τωρα που εχω μεγαλωσει λιγο και κανω ουτως ή αλλως Αρχαια λεω ας το δοκιμασω! Ετσι να τεσταρω και τις γνωσεις μου πανω στα Αρχαια. Πως να το πω αλλιως να εξασκηθω στα Αρχαια! Ε τι το ηθελα χριστουγεννιατικα?? Δεν λεω καλο κομιξ ηταν οπως και ολα τα κομιξ του Αστεριξ..Παντοτε οτα ...more
Denim Datta
Book No 29 from Asterix and Obelix Series.

A woman bard? That’s unheard of in Ancient Gaul. So, when the mothers in Asterix’s town want to replace Cacofonix with Bravura, the men are horrified. But, Bravura hits the right notes musically, and she proves very valuable when Julius Caesar sends in his secret weapon.

Supriya J
I've grown up reading Asterix and Obelix, and they've always made me laugh.

After re-reading this today, I realised we should all re-read the books we loved as kids. This one was incredibly sexist and a shame to read as a woman. No doubt the art is just fantastic, but that's about it.
Linda Hall
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
Saint No Stopping Us

Six out of ten. CBR format.

All the mothers of the village get together to employ a female bard to replace Cacofonix. This turns out to be useful when Caesar employs a troop of female legionaires to finally conquer the Gauls.

Serina
Stefanus Andre
The book is alright but it gets really funny near the end.
Matt Kelly
Ray
Nov 14, 2014 Ray rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Well, that was rather sexist.
Mathieu
Pfffffffff ! Que dire ? A trop vouloir rajeunir le ton, on finit par le perdre... C'est plus que moyen cette histoire... Certes on introduit des personnages féminins pour faire neuf, mais au final, ça ne débouche sur rien d'intéressant. Du gâchis.
João Moura
O bom de passar numa feira de usados é relembrar pedaços de nós do passado. Porque não ler de novo os livros da infância? Além de momento bem passado até dá para fazer um exercício mental como tentar comparar as diferenças entre leituras...
Jacob
A great book for child and adult alike. I once read this series as a child and enjoyed the story but now I am older I notice all the hilarious nuances and wordplay. While this may not be the. Est book in the series it is still a fantastic read.
Devero
Nonostante gli ottimi disegni, questa storia manca di mordente.
Va bene l'idea di mettere a confronto il villaggio col femminismo, ma mi pare che la trattazione sia poco convincente e non significativa.
Jacques le fataliste et son maître
Spunto interessante, la trama traballa meno di quanto di norma accada nelle ultime storie. Fastidiosamente sessista – più del solito, diciamo: altrove, però, l’ironia salva tutto. Qua ce n’è di meno, ecco.
Fi °♥° LoveMoonStars
I've read this series of Asterix (and Obelisk) in the 90's at my Grandmother and Grandfather's place. I loved this series back there. Asterix and his friend Obelisk shared so many great adventures together!
Maya
j'ai beaucoup aimé la partie où les romaines essayent d'attaquer le village mais les gauloises organisent un marché pour distraire les romaines.
Lidya Widyas
Really really funny.. I cant hold my laugh when saw obelix make a fun of the woman teacher who wear a clothes with horizontal line.. hihihi..
Jane
I always like Asterix, but like many of the later books, this was sort of formulaic and blah. The Romans weren't even that funny!
Nike
Udah lama ga baca Asterix.
Lumayan dikasih ama temen.
Lumayan mengobati rasa rindu Obelix dan menhirnya :p
9 3/4
Oct 28, 2014 9 3/4 rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
A great comic series - a classic in Europe but unfortunately not so well known in the US.
Sorta
May 19, 2009 Sorta added it
It just made me curious to read another.

I got something, not just funny :)
Ellsa Mayo
Beli di Gramedia Jogjakarta...
Another story bout women emancipation..
Jessica J.
I love Asterix. I think it´s one of the best comics ever!
Sebina~☆~ClassicMaiden
I read all the Asterix books as a kid in the early 1990s...
Johara Almogbel
I love these guys. Perennial childhood favorite<3
The Frahorus
La maestra si innamora di Asterix...
  • Asterix and the Laurel Wreath (Asterix, #18)
Albert Uderzo is an illustrator best known for his collaborations with René Goscinny on series such as Asterix.
More about Albert Uderzo...
Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26) Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25) Asterix and Son (Asterix #27) Asterix and the Magic Carpet (Asterix #28) Asterix and Obelix All at Sea (Asterix #30)