Alone

Alone

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When Daniel Miller wakes up one morning, something has gone terribly wrong. The power is out. The phones are dead. The house is silent. The street is shrouded in fog. Both his partner and their adopted daughter are missing. So are their neighbors. And so is everyone else in the world. Daniel Miller is the last person left on Earth.

...or is he?

Thunderstorm Books is proud to...more
Published July 2011 by Thunderstorm Books

Chris
This gripping and heart-wrenching novella is Brian Keene's first attempt at self-publishing digitally (I purchased the Nookbook edition), and I certainly hope it isn't his last. At just under 60 pages, Alone is about Dan Miller, who wakes up one morning to find his partner and adopted daughter gone, his neighbors missing, and his street shrouded in a mysterious gray haze. Nothing works, the phones, TV, computers, cars, and even food and drink has no taste. He searches for clues to his loved ones...more
Mike
Alone is a good well written quick read. It starts with a man named Dan wakes up and finds out he is alone. His partner Jerry and daughter Daniella are gone. He looks for them around the house and notices that things have changed. Noises sound different, food has no taste and this fog. Then he decides to go the neighbors to find out where his family is. I'll stop here, don't want to say to much. I'm a big fan of Brian's work, if he writes it I'll read it. I enjoyed reading this a lot and liked t...more
Martin Belcher
Dan wakes up one morning to find his partner Jerry and their adopted daughter Danielle have disappeared, there is no power or mains water, the sky is a strange colour and every noise he makes seems muffled. The whole world has simply gone overnight leaving Dan alone.....
This is a nice short story by horror author Brian Keene, it reminded me very much of a novel called The Silent Land by Graham Joyce which seems to share similar themes, it's worth a try if you enjoyed this book.
Daniel Drago
It is always a pleasure reading a new Brian Keene story. Brian has so much talent that a story with one character never gets boring and stale. This is a type of story where you not really sure what is going on with the main character and your constantly playing a guessing game. The ending was a nice payoff that I didn't see coming (you got me Brian). Very quick and exciting read and like most of Brian Keene's novels this is highly recommended.
Peter Schwotzer
"Alone" is Brian's first book that he has self-published. It is a brave new digital world and it is good, in my opinion to see an established author such as Brian give this a try. Will it be a success? That is up to us, fans of Brian's works and fans of good stories regardless of the delivery system.

I absolutely loved "Alone". It seems it has been a while since I have had a chance to read something new by Brian.

The premise of the story seems basic enough, but in the hands of such a talented auth...more
Frank Errington

Alone is about Dan, who wakes one morning to find everyone gone. His partner, Jerry, their adoptive daughter, Daniella, his neighbors...all gone. But it's also so much more than that.

Keene starts with Dan's initial discovery that the power went out during the night and builds on a series of annoyances, revealing a bigger and more terrifying picture throughout the morning and the days ahead.

Whatever is happening, it's so much more than a last man on earth story and you find yourself eager to get...more
Douglas  Castagna
Fast paced, smooth, tight writing. Daniel Miller wakes to find himself alone, and as time progresses he finds out how truly alone he is, and eventually, why. Do yourself a favor and read this novella, and you will see an example of why the horror genre should never be discounted or put aside. The writing is crisp and lean, and we truly care for Daniel and can feel his pain and his sense of isolation.
Geoff
This is a little different style of book by Keene where it's suspense and has a good ending, over his usual horror stories which usually end bad for the protagonist (which most horror stories do). The story starts with a man (Dan) who awakes in his bed and his partner is gone as well as his adoptive daughter. Although something is wrong; its not just his family but everybody is gone. And this story tells of his despair and fear as he tries to figure out why this is happening to him. There's not...more
Brittany
I enjoyed it. My first book by Brian Keene. I would like to read more by this author to get a true feel for what his writing style is; I apparently missed something because I had no idea this was so short. I was left thinking, "this is it?" at the end. It's not a bad book by any means, however, I wish the ending would have been more original. Often with "fantasy" and "science fiction" works, it begins to feel repetitive, like the authors are reaching for an original idea, and instead of finding...more
Kaisersoze
Probably my least enjoyable Keene read to date (and I've read just about everything he's published), Alone is well-written and easily digestible, but was languidly paced and overly predictable. As always, the afterword that Keene includes is insightful and provides a useful context as to how this work came to be. But when that's the best thing about a novella, something is not quite right.
Dave Pope
A good, short, story that I won't comment on in that it would be easy to give the punchline away. A quick, short read which doesn't add or detract from my appreciation of Keene's work.
Gatorman
This was a fairly enjoyable novella from Keene but I was left with the feeling that I've seen it before. I figured out the ending before the reveal since there weren't a lot of options to where the story could go. Well-written as always with Keene and just the right length, just don't expect anything mind-blowing.
Mark Brown
A story that trod familiar ground as far as I am concerned. I enjoyed it but it did leave me wanting a little more and I saw through the plot very early on. I would have been happy with this as part of a collection but didn't feel that it was quite strong enough to stand on it's own.
Jeff Heimbuch
As much as I enjoy his novels, Keene really excels when it comes to his short fiction.
Alone is a great cross between Stephen King's The Mist and an old Twilight Zone episode. A great little story, and definitely worth a read! Probably one of my favorite stories of his.
John
alone is short and sweet. it is one of Keenes best works in my opinion. I would love to still read the original version he talks about at the end of the kindle version. but I'm glad he stuck with what he wanted to give us. the set up and payoff worked well for me.
Melen
An enjoyable, if tame, story of a guy who wakes up to find he's alone in the world. This is more of a short story and is not novel length.
Karen
I really am enjoying Brian Keene. He is good. Alone was short, sweet and to the point.
James Anderson
Kinda figured it out early on but still a good quick read.
Tom
Great story different from most of his work.
Troy
Fantastic
Mora
Mora marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Claire Nicholson
Claire Nicholson marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Sonatajessica
Sonatajessica marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
52050
BRIAN KEENE writes novels, comic books, short fiction, and occasional journalism for money. He is the author of over forty books, mostly in the horror, crime, and dark fantasy genres. His 2003 novel, The Rising, is often credited (along with Robert Kirkman’s The Walking Dead comic and Danny Boyle’s 28 Days Later film) with inspiring pop culture’s current interest in zombies. Keene’s novels have be...more
More about Brian Keene...
The Rising City of the Dead Dead Sea The Conqueror Worms Ghoul