Dead Bad Things: A Thomas Usher Novel

Dead Bad Things: A Thomas Usher Novel (Thomas Usher #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  20 reviews
HE SOUGHT TO FLEE HIS TRAGIC PAST, but when Thomas Usher hears a clockwork voice on the phone, and sees ever-more disturbing visions in a derelict warehouse, Usher realizes that he has to return home - for the sake of his own sanity.

Meanwhile, a deadly figure from Usher's past threatens to undermine the very fabric of reality.

File Under: Horror [ Serial Murders | Hellish V...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Angry Robot (first published May 1st 2011)

Kwesi 章英狮
Mystery is not my cup of tea because I need to focus to guess the killer in the near end; unfortunately, this is not the typical mystery book that you regularly read. This is something more mystical, part fantasy and tidbits of mystery to enjoy. I also remember some dark books like The Alienist by Caleb Car; I mean in comparison, they have few similarities. In the other hand, this is something special, something dark that make you pee while reading it.

Who the hell is Thomas Usher? I don't have a...more
Colin Leslie
Dead Bad Things takes us once again into the carefree and jolly world of Thomas Usher, where the hat is always on the side of the head and everyone has a cheery smile for each other...okay, maybe not. In my review of the previous novel Pretty Little Dead Things I enjoyed the "horrifically bleak" scenes, well I can tell you now compared with this book, that was a technicolour extravaganza. You want bleak, this is bleak!

Once again we meet Thomas Usher a man haunted by his ability to communicate wi...more
Mark
The follow-up to “Pretty Little Dead Things”, this is a very dark exploration of family secrets and lies, unnatural desires and cosmic horror. Usher has gone to ground, to try and get his head clear with what’s happened but finds that the dead (and an armless Rwandan refugee psychic) still have things to tell him. A minor character from PLDT - Sarah - is suffering too, haunted by her father both in death and from memories of her childhood. Everything seems to hinge around the ritualistic murders...more
Richard Wright
The sequel to Pretty Little Dead Things, which I read a while ago. I found that novel to be beautifully written, but unrelentingly grim. I found the worldview captivating, but the main character (Thomas Usher) too self-piteous to sympathise with. Without creating spoilers, I also questioned the worth of the grim ending, in which Usher literally loses everything, leaving the reader almost as hollow as the character. Dead Bad Things suddenly gives sense to all that. Where the first book has flaws...more
J.C. Hart
My goodness. This book. If I had a list of top five things that have creeped me out this year, this would be on it.

The writing is good for the most part, the story broken into three lines – at times I wondered how they would ever meet up, but they did, and in a way I hadn’t predicted.

I hadn’t read the first book in the series (though I will be going back and doing so, now!), so I was a bit behind the eight ball when it came to the story so far. I think it might have helped, but I enjoyed it a lo...more
PopcornReads
Dead Bad Things is Book# 2 in the Thomas Usher series of horror novels. Book #1, Pretty Little Dead Things, was called the best horror novel of 2010 by both Dark Fiction Review and Horror Fiction Review. Dead Bad Things can be read as a stand alone novel; however, I might have better understood some of the prior events alluded to in it if I had read Pretty Little Dead Things first.

This review comes with some strong cautions because Dead Bad Things is only for hard-core horror fans. It is defini...more
Eugenia O'Neal
Thomas Usher is a man who can see the dead and walk through the veils between worlds. This makes him very attractive to an entity which desires his powers and who has been manipulating circumstances around him for years.

Dead Bad Things is told from different points of view, including that of some very bad people and gives an insight into how people rationalize evil. McMahon leavens the darkness with light touches of humour here and there so it's not completely relentless.

There was one scene I wa...more
Anthony  Corbo
Gary McMahon's writing style moves along nicely. I appreciate his demented gruesome (off center) grip on reality he presents in this book. I love most context dealing with a supernatural realm. Of course allowing leeway for unrealistic occurrences within a story. But... Mr. McMahon has at least one of his characters (bad Guy) go to great lengths to deceive the good guys just to go ahead and practically lead them right to the truth. The details of this unlikable questioning of this part I leave o...more
Kate Sherrod
I would give this a fourth star, and still might retroactively, but I read this without reading Pretty Dead Things first and so had no idea why I should give a crap about the first person narrator vs the policewoman's much more interesting, compelling and fully realized story. The policewoman's story and the other two narrative threads were pretty fantastic, though. If Usher had been more of a presence throughout, or if his status as the first person narrator in those few chapters were made more...more
Janette Fleming
SYNOPSIS
He sought to flee his tragic past.
But when Thomas Usher hears a clockwork voice on the phone and sees ever-more disturbing visions in a derelict warehouse, Usher realises that he has to return home – for the sake of his own sanity. Meanwhile, a deadly figure from Usher’s past threatens to undermine the very fabric of reality.

The follow-up to “Pretty Little Dead Things”, is skin crawlingly good, beautiful prose describing horrific crimes, disturbing visions and some of the most dreadful p...more
Taueret
Mar 19, 2012 Taueret rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: no one. people I hate.
Recommended to Taueret by: goodreads.
horrible, awful book. Not because it was scary or gross or confronting (it wasn't really any of those). Just a horrible, bad book. Funny in the way horribly bad things are sometimes, but that's all. I saved notes and highlighted "special" bits on the Kindle app, but it feels like kicking a puppy to belabour it. Loads of people love this author, I just- don't.

If you want to read something that hits the mark this so aspires to, try old-school King, from when he was whacked out on coke and writing...more
Deborah
See my full review at: http://abookishlibraria.blogspot.com

Horror/Thriller, similar to a Stephen King or Dean Koontz book. Takes place in modern times and includes angels; dark and light...ghosts and crazed killers.

The first sentences are of a man crooning of the shallow grave of a boy child whom he's just tortured and killed. He's a psychopath and a man who deals with the devil and his minion.

This is a frighteningly good book. Good enough to make me want to read the previous books of Mr. MaMah...more
Amy
I did not read the previous book in this series (as I did not realize it was part of a series) but I believe that this book does well as a stand alone story. The author paints impressive and grotesque scenes in the reader's mind. The tale is dark and twisted and has a supernatural element. It is a great horror tale (as long as you can stomach some really horrible people doing really horrible things - if not, this book is not for you).
Brian
Better, I think, than its predecessor novel ( Pretty Little Dead Things ), Dead Bad Things takes little time to dive into and rarely lets go of the reader's attention.

One word of warning: this book deals with some intense and disturbing subject matter, so reader discretion is certainly advised.
Babsji5
I like that even though Thomas Usher was the hero, or anti hero, he was periphial through about half of the book. The serial killer/Benson/Emerson storyline could have been a story in itself. As it stands, it felt a little rushed. Maybe Thomas will get some answers now. And DI Tebbit needs to be allowed to go on and die, no more lingering.
David Marshall
I think this is a good story but it's weighed down by some gratuitous violence that I feel adds little or no value to the whole. So this is a horror story hiding some nice ideas about determinism, but not for the faint-hearted.

David
Sep 29, 2011 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Readers of adventure, thriller, horror and sci-fi genre
Gary McMahon deftly pulls three seemingly independent story lines together to an excellent close in this second installment of his Thomas Usher novels. A bit horror, a pinch of mystery and a cup full of thriller make for an exciting read. I look forward to the next installment!
Patrick Freivald
A good read in many ways, and reminiscent of Clive Barker, Dead Bad Things starts in the middle and stumbles toward a deus ex machina finish. If you've got nothing else to read it's not a waste of your time, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find a copy.
Neil
Unflinching, uncomfortable and very dark horror.

Update 18/10/11 - rating 5/5 - a week after finishing this book I am still thinking about it!
C.S.
I loved the mix of horror and mystery. I read this series out of order but look forward to going back and reading the 1st one.
Vicious
Vicious marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Lori Ann
Lori Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Colleen Christensen
Colleen Christensen marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Jenn Pereira
Jenn Pereira marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Maxine Marsh
Maxine Marsh marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Gary McMahon lives, works and writes in West Yorkshire but posseses a New York state of mind. He shares his life with a wife, a son, and the nagging stories that won’t give him any peace until he writes them.
More about Gary McMahon...
The Concrete Grove Pretty Little Dead Things Nightsiders Silent Voices Beyond Here Lies Nothing