Start by marking “Nevernever” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Nevernever

Will Shetterly

Nevernever (Borderland #7)

“...the dialogue is snappy and the action never flags. Ron seems to have learned a lot since his arrival in the Borderlands and is a character with whom many teens will identify. Readers may feel at times as though they have fallen into someone else's psychedelic dream, but they will probably enjoy the trip. Fantasy and science-fiction buffs who have read Elsewhere will de ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published June 21st 2011 by CatYelling (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Nevernever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nevernever

Miriam
This was a pretty fast read up to around page 90. Then there was this descriptive aside about the setting and what the pov character, Wolfboy, is doing during an extended lull in the main action. And I just... totally lost momentum. No impetus to pick the book up again. When I eventually opened it once more, I realized I didn't care what happened and had no interest in the characters. They're nice enough (although I'm disappointed by Shetterly's take on Orient's character) but they don't feel re ...more
Wendy
Apr 26, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first thing that I need to mention is that it is a necessity that you read 'Elsewhere' by Will Shetterly before you read this book. This book is the direct continuation of the story of Ron/Wolfboy that begins in Elsewhere. That being said, I can say that I absolutely loved this book. I am now a true fan of the Borderland series and will be actively searching out the earlier books in the series.

The 'twist' in this book totally took me by surprise. I did not see it coming although it was the
Susan
Sep 21, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardback, 2006, 1999
re-read April 16, 2006
T Dower
Mar 17, 2017 T Dower rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Borderlands books were a YA staple for me, and I've gone back to reread a few to see if they're as good as I remember them.

They are!
Zita
Jun 22, 2015 Zita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, urban-fantasy
Nevernever can probably be read on its own, but I'd read Elsewhere first anyway. It makes it a lot easier to run through the infodumps provided just in case you're coming in blind.

To summarize from my review of Elsewhere: The Bordertown stories take place on the border between Faerie (home of the elves) and the normal world. Bordertown is a place of magic, motorcycles, and rock and roll. It's home to runaways from Faerie and the World, and they make it a very colorful and interesting place.

Comin
Leah G
I love Borderlands books so much. this is fantastic. wow. The main character of Elsewhere grew on me as Wolfboy, it was cool to see how much he mellowed out and is no longer easily insulted and now cares deeply about other people. He might look scary but he's kind of sweet. Good plot too, had its ups and downs of drama but always suspense. I even liked the interlude sections of the book because it was so nice to get a slice of regular life in Bordertown. unlike many other books that I like but w ...more
Иван Величков
Вторият роман завършва историята за симпатягите от Danceland и по-точно за Woolfboy. Мога да разделя романа на три части.
Първата продължава директно,където свърши предишната книга и разказва как Рон свиква с новия си външен вид на върколак, след елфическото проклятие хвърлено над него.
Втората част, около година по-късно е преразказ на Danceland - разказа на шетърли и жена му включен във втората антология за Граничните земи. Историята е леко извъртяна за съвпадне с романите, но някой части са взе
melydia
Jun 24, 2008 melydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ron is Wolfboy now, trying to get by in Bordertown while covered in fur and without the ability to speak. This is the sequel to Elsewhere, and is definitely the superior of the two. The story is much more cohesive and feels less dependent on the source material (that is, Terri Windling's Bordertown story collections). Unfortunately, both books employ the character-endangerment-in-lieu-of-actual-plot technique of storytelling. This only works if the reader is attached to the characters, which is ...more
Amanda
Jul 01, 2011 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me tell you, I was so excited about reading this book again! I discovered Elsewhere and Nevernever by Will Shetterly, about 10 years ago, during my 8th grade year at Gentry Junior High and I never forgot it! It took me the ten years since to once again figure out the title and locate the books and I promise you, I was not disappointed when I finally found it! I loved every second of this story, from the way Wolfboy, the narrator, tells you you can go ahead and skip through the parenthesis to ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This was actually a re-read, in May 2010. The pieces actually clicked together in a way that they hadn't before, about how "Danceland" (in Bordertown:), Elsewhere, this book, and Finder are an arc. (Hey, the first one I read was Finder. It's not my fault that starting at the end without realizing it confused me. ;)
Rachael
Ron, a.k.a Wolfboy, rendered mute and hirsute by Leda's curse at the end of Elsewhere, continues to adventure with friends from the now defunct Castle Pup and new enemies in Bordertown proper and the Nevernever, as the woods outside are known.
This book is part coming of age novel, part short stories mashed up and part mystery with romantic interludes, folk music, and untimely deaths and disappearances. Cozy but also thoughtful, fantastical but grounded in the world of a city filled with misfits
Savannah
If the first one of this pair, Elsewhere is the character setup (and it mostly is, I now see), then this book is the action that those characters set in motion. Lovely twist at the end redeems a great deal of the sadness and explains why Wolfboy goes on in other works as he does. Shetterly's taken just a small bit of Bordertown's shared world and fleshed it out in delightful detail. And the kids are just taken from the start by the "dating outside your species" tagline.
Victoria Law
Elsewhere and his story in Welcome to Bordertown are so much better. In this book, the narrator digresses in long parentheses (sometimes even chapters).

and then there's the ending. I won't give it away, but I really really disliked it. It seemed as if he really just wanted it to be a happy ending no matter how farfetched it might be.
Vex Batchelder
May 18, 2016 Vex Batchelder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a reread for me, prompted by Elsewhere and Welcome to Bordertown. I still love this series and these characters, but I found that this sequel in particular did much less for me, though I do love how much the narrator encourages and leaves the door open for the reader to not read and skip over whole chapters :) it's cute and quirky and fun, especially if you've already fallen in love with the characters after reading Elsewhere [even if you might like to argue with a few of them from time ...more
Matt
Jan 13, 2009 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Cabell
The further adventures of Ron (Wolfboy) in Bordertown. Intended to be somewhat of a mystery, but there really isn't much of it. To be honest this book felt a little disjointed. There were also a few things thrown in which didn't seem to contribute to the story. Ultimately Elsewhere is the better of the two, I still like the characters, but I guess that's just the way with unplanned sequels.
Karen
Oct 13, 2008 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book felt very different from the previous book. Ron (Wolfboy) felt like a completely different character (I know he's changed but he's almost unrecognizable). And I never really felt like I got into the book. There was a twist at the end that I didn't see coming, but I also don't think that I "believe" in the twist. It didn't really seem to fit together very smoothly. Or maybe it was just all wrapped up too quickly.
Kristi Cramer
Feb 25, 2013 Kristi Cramer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristi by: Elaine Cramer
Shelves: favorites
I Love this book! I have read it multiple times.
Shetterly's writing draws you in so that even if you are an adult who has never lost someone dear to you, nor felt like an outcast, you still relate to Ron as he bumbles his way around Bordertown.
I laughed out loud on more than one occasion, and one scene involving a Gingerbread man that makes me laugh and cry at the same time, every time I read it.
Touching and tough, humorous and hairy, you will enjoy Nevernever.
Brianne
Jun 01, 2009 Brianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
Cool sequel, getting used to the whole wolfboy concept.

Great book, in my opinion better than the first. A story that you can't expect but look back at and think "How did I not know?" I love how this series really shows how people develop and change over time, and that there's more than one kind of knight in shining armor.

NO YOU HAVE BIG FUN! (Inside joke)
Deborah Carroll
Mar 09, 2015 Deborah Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Fave quotes: Taz said, "Yes, it is. Doesn't matter what we know. Only matters what we do with what we know." (pg 32)
"But in the World, people saw Orient and thought he was like them. Then they learned he had something that they didn't, and they felt he'd betrayed them. You never learn until too late that everyone's passing for normal." (pg. 88)
There are more, and those will do for now ;)
Neill Smith
Aug 04, 2011 Neill Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this sequel to elsewhere, Ron has been changed by the elf, Leda, to Wolfboy - mute, furry, but still living in Bordertown, the boundary between the human world and Faerie. Wolfboy and his new allies must protect Florida, the future leader of the elves, from groups that want to exploit her power and groups that want to expose her power for her protection.
April Ray
I read this book before reading Elsewhere. NeverNever read as if it really were being told by a 17 year old. I found it hard to follow the dialogue at times, but the characters were real and endearing. Very surprise twist at the end. Wonderfully told.
Kimmyh
Mar 14, 2011 Kimmyh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would have helped , had I rad the first book, in getting into the story sooner..you know, since I'd have known all the main players.

However, towards the middle, when the murder mystery began, my interest in the story picked up considerably and I ended up quite liking it.
Brittany Batiste
I loved this one just as much as the first. It was interesting to see Ron's life as a werewolf. I do wish that the story continued. I would love to know how things worked out with Ron and everyone else in Bordertown.
Alex
Jun 16, 2009 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nevernever by Will Shetterly (2004)
Unwisely
Aug 13, 2011 Unwisely rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, ya, 2011
Still very 90s, but this one was mildly more interesting than the last one, I thought. I didn't see the final part coming, so that's something, but I still wasn't blown away or anything.
Kyle Hamlin
May 17, 2013 Kyle Hamlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very engaging world with fascinating characters. A must-read for fans of steam-punk fantasy.
Sam
Feb 08, 2008 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little heavy on the teenage romance but it is YA fantasy. I was still swept away by the stories and characters, and I enjoyed the 8 hours that I read it in.
Erin
Sep 19, 2011 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Nevernever, the sequel to Elsewhere, is not nearly as good as it's predecessor. There are still interesting moments and an engaging plot, but I don't feel like it lived up to its reputation.
Sarah Batchelder
Very funny book.
Hyzenthlay
May 11, 2014 Hyzenthlay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
No you have big fun.
  • The Essential Bordertown (Borderland, #4)
  • Finder (Borderland, #8)
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • The Ivory and the Horn (Newford, #3)
  • Hannah's Garden
  • The Last Hot Time
  • The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales
  • Faery in Shadow
  • The Winter Child

Borderland (8 books)
  • Borderland (Borderland, #1)
  • Bordertown (Borderland, #2)
  • Life on the Border  (Borderland, #3)
  • The Essential Bordertown (Borderland, #4)
  • Welcome to Bordertown (Borderland, #5)
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #6)
  • Finder (Borderland, #8)