Start by marking “Luck of the Devil (Speak of the Devil #1)” as Want to Read:
Luck of the Devil (Speak of the Devil #1)

Luck of the Devil (Speak of the Devil #1)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
Being the youngest daughter of the Devil isn t all it s cracked up to be. The days of teenage rebellion and vows of chastity made just to tick off her father are over, and now all Faith Bettincourt wants is a nice, quiet life. Unfortunately, thanks to the unexpected arrival of her demonically-downsized sister, a ditzy succubus roommate, and dear old Dad himself, Faith s pl ...more
Nook, 274 pages
Published July 28th 2011 by Entangled Publishing, LLC (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Luck of the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Luck of the Devil

Jasmyn
Luck of the Devil was a very fun book. Faith, the devil's youngest daughter is caught up in family drama galore. Her brother has turned her roommate into a succubus, her sister and brother-in-law show up to "visit" uninvited, and they are followed closely by mom and dear old dad, Lucifer himself. There are a lot of things that go wrong in this family and Faith generally tries to stay out of it, but she gets dragged kicking and screaming into this one.

The romance in this one is cute and the char
Sherri
Aug 12, 2011 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book, read_2011, demons
. . . .being evil has never been as much fun.

First Impressions – The book summary attracted me right of the bat. I am a sucker for quirky, offbeat comedies and the storyline, although not unique, it appeared fun and perfect for a summer read. I did not see the cover until after I had received the book, and although I wouldn’t say it is outstanding it does fit the book.

While Reading – The book starts out by thrusting the reader right into the storyline. It was a bit of a jolt and it took me a w
Rebecca
Jul 11, 2011 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew the devil was a family guy? I sure didn’t. As I was reading through Luck of the Devil, I honestly had to put it down at one point to ask one of my sisters was she sure our father was not the devil. My family dynamic was so much the same, just take out all the paranormal. Of course my sister has assured me she has never seen any horns.

Faith is in a bit of trouble, she has gone and gotten herself a stalker. When your overprotective dad is the devil you have to devise ways of keeping your
Amber I. (AwesomeSauce Book Club)
This book was just pure fun, I loved every minute of it. You have Faith the daughter of the devil himself, her succubus room mate, her demon half brother , her demon sister Hope, a haunting ghost, and her crazy mortal mother plus many more make this family dysfunctional on a new level.

At first I thought this book was going to be a bit much, maybe over the top but I was so so wrong! I easily got caught up in it and I loved it all. Its not every day you see God aka Alpha and Satan sitting in a Pi
Christi Snow
Aug 02, 2011 Christi Snow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is so close to a 5-star rating...easily 4.5! Full review to come, but this is a seriously FUN, entertaining book! LOVED it!

Full review reposted from my Smitten with Reading blog...

My Review:
Opening paragraph of the book:
quote from book:
"You just couldn't help yourself, could you?" Lisa and I stared in revulsion at the freshly dead body of my former boss lying on the carpet in his office, wearing nothing but plaid boxer shorts, a striped tie, and his white lab coat.

"Faith, I'm sorry. I w
Andrea
Jun 29, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-paranormal
Luck of the Devil focuses on the life of Faith, the daughter of the Devil (yes that devil). It boast a hilarious cast of characters that includes Faith(a do-gooder half-sister/pediatric nurse), her sister Hope (a failed occult leader), her mother (the devil’s consort), her brother (a demon screw up), her roommate (a recently turned succubus), and her love interest who is part of a celestial army out to destroy all demons. They live in Pittsburgh. They have family fights that result in flooding a ...more
Angie
I received a free digital copy through Net Galley.

What do you get when you combine a less than evil daughter of Satan, her spoiled siblings, brother-in-law who has "fallen up," inept succubus roommate, crazy mortal mother, Satan himself, a hunky lawyer across the hall, the ghost of a dead doctor, and a stalker? One wacky mystery, a little bit of romance, and the family reunion from Hell!

This was a very fun read, but was also quite predictable. Some plot points mysteriously disappeared after the
Lynn Aoude
Sep 20, 2014 Lynn Aoude rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is one hilarious book. it had me laughing out loud for most of it. I have to say that this book lived up to my expectations.
from the very first line I was hooked. the story starts with a murder, which makes things interesting especially when you're laughing your ass off when the characters are discussing hiding the body. morbid for sure, but if black humor is your thing, this is right up your alley. and let's not forget the fact that Satan's daughter has a dysfunctional family reunion. I si
Melissa
Aug 26, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Looking for a paranormal that makes you laugh? You have found it! I really enjoyed Faith and her family. I don't always connect to the characters so easily in a comedy/parody like this, but I didn't have this problem here. The whole family dynamic you are introduced to was more like a dysfunctional family ratcheted it up to new heights because of the paranormal aspects. Makes it perfect comedic fodder.

So is it just the dad the Devil and his minions.. uh family... we deal with? Oh no, you also ha
Kristen
Jul 06, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luck of the Devil by Patricia Eimer can be summed up in two words: awesome fun! My biggest disappointment with this book: I always look to goodreads to tell me if books are to be part of a series, and it looks like it is a standalone. I want more! **stomps feet** That's a bummer because it was a great cast of characters and a great little world. They were funny, it was action packed and it was a great little escape. I would love to see more of these characters.

We have Faith, the youngest daught
Diane
Aug 17, 2011 Diane rated it really liked it
I loved this book! It was a Hell of a lot of fun. And I mean that with the huge grin and behind the scenes giggles that it implies.

While the deeply religious would not agree with me, I thoroughly enjoyed the intelligent wit threaded through the whole story, and delightful humor surrounding the idea of, "well if you think YOUR family is bad..." I think most of us can sympathize with.

If I were to try to summarize the deeper theme behind the fun fiction story it would be: Evil done in the name of g
Samantha Janning
Dec 21, 2011 Samantha Janning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luck of the Devil by Patricia Eimer is a hilarious novel about Faith Bettincourt, daughter to the Devil. Faith has an unexpected family reunion when the Devil himself comes to town bringing along her mortal mother. Also in for the ride - her demon half brother and her demon sister with her husband and a slew of marital problems. Added to the mix is Faith’s succubus roommate, a ghost that won’t quit haunting her, and a hot next door neighbor that just might not be all mortal either.

While I wasn’
Kristen
Aug 16, 2011 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GENRE: Paranormal Romance
THEME: Angels/Demons
RECEIVED: Review Request by Entangled Publishing
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
Luck of the Devil was definitely once of those books that makes a topic such as heaven and hell into something with spunk, humor, family drama and just a fantastically entertaining read. Patricia Elmer is an author who knows how to write a story that will keep a smile on your face from beginning to end.

Luck of the Devil follows the youngest daughter of the Dev
Fangs for the Fantasy
We all love of our families but if we're honest, family get togethers do have a tendency to become stressful. This is especially true, if your name is Faith Bettincourt and your father is the Devil. When her entire family descends upon her apartment, Faith knows that her plan to spend her week of vacation watching reality TV, is officially out the door. If that were not enough, her succubus roommate has accidentally killed her boss and his ghost keeps popping up because his paperwork keeps getti ...more
Stacy
Aug 14, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed by http://urbanfantasyinvestigations.blo...

LUCK OF THE DEVIL was a great blend of Paranormal elements, romance and comedy. Faith and her family are the definition of dysfunctional and they all happen to come visit Faith at the very same time someone is trying to frame her for stealing drugs from the hospital she works for and while she also has someone stalking her.

One of the many paragraphs that made me bust out laughing and had to be one of my favorite parts in the book happens to be
Jennifer at BookShelfery
When I was offered to review this book, I grabbed it. Seriously, the Devil's daughters are named Faith and Hope, Faith's roommate is a clumsy succubus, Jesus is a first cousin and "Lou" Lucifer and God are chummy bros. I knew - KNEW - this novel would be full of snark and wit, and I wasn't disappointed. The dialogue was quick, the characters were sarcastic and overall, the whole thing is laugh out loud funny. That's right, folks: L - O - L.
The family dynamics really make this entire story. Faith
Dianne
Feb 22, 2013 Dianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luck of the Devil (Speak of the Devil) – Patricia Eimer

What a romp! This was one hell of an engrossing read, which is odd for a book like this. Sure, it was funny and irreverent but it had a great mystery, several surprising romances, some hot bits and a wonderful cast of quirky characters! I seriously could not put it down and stayed up until 1 am to finish it!
It is a fairly fast and somewhat fluffy read, but the author has put enough work into her plot to make it one of the better books of t
Deborah Riley-Magnus
If you’ve ever sat at a Sunday family dinner and wondered if there could possibly be a family more dysfunctional or strange than your own, I’m here to tell you that Luck of the Devil heroine, Faith Bettincourt, has us all beat by a mile! Her father is the Devil, her mother is an existential spiritualist human nutcase, her sister Hope (half human/half demon nehalim like Faith) is as wickedly manipulative as they come, and her half-brother Tolliver is a pure demon spawn of the Devil with designs o ...more
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Faith was a normal girl with a normal job trying to lead a normal life. That may have been easy to do, except for the fact she was a half demon and the youngest daughter of the devil. Faith's family showed up out of nowhere just when she was getting to know her new handsome neighbor better. Things start to go bad fast when Faith finds out she had a dangerous stalker and he/she wanted to eliminate her family.

The art work for the cover was what drew me to this book. The humorous story was what kep
OpenBookSociety.com
Review brought to you by OBS staff member Karolina

Being the youngest daughter of the Devil isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. The days of teenage rebellion and vows of chastity made just to tick off her father are over, and now all Faith Bettincourt wants is a nice, quiet life. Unfortunately, thanks to the unexpected arrival of her demonically-downsized sister, a ditzy succubus roommate, and dear old Dad himself, Faith’s plans for a relaxing vacation spent watching reruns go up in flames.

Now it’s
Lori {Romancing the Dark Side}
Orignal Romancing the Darkside Review:

A family reunion between Heaven and Hell that will entertain to the very last page!

Life can sometimes be a living Hell and as the youngest daughter of the Devil, Faith knows Hell firsthand being a demoness and all. Trying to live a normal life, Faith works as a pediatric nurse in a hospital and lives with her newly turned succubus friend, Lisa. Life is as normal as it's going to get for her, until a visit from her half
Heather Book Savvy Babe
The dysfunctional family meets paranormal in Luck of the Devil, a creative and funny new novel by Patricia Eimer.

As the youngest daughter of Satan, Faith has a tough time dealing with family and fitting into the human world. Faith’s human mother is a nutcase who has a problem facing reality. Faith’s sister, Hope struggles with a demonic demotion, and her brother Tolliver turned her roommate into a succubus. Just as Faith finally begins to make progress with her handsome neighbor, the entire fami
Mel
Aug 16, 2011 Mel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun read! I was entertained from the minute I started reading with this cosy supernatural story. There is a great family dynamic between Faith and the rest of her family – including her sister and half brother. Not to mention her whacky mother and her father, Satan the devil. Plus there is her uncle and cousin... I loved the dysfunctional family element which made them all relatable and feel like a normal family. Some of the one-liners are hilarious and had me laughing out loud. ...more
Jenn
Jul 03, 2015 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, e-book
RECEIVED FROM: Net Galley For Review

***NOTE MY REVIEWS OFTEN CONTAIN SPOILERS***

Faith Bettincourt is just your average pediatrics nurse who just happens to have a succubus that can’t control her powers as a best friend, a demon as a body guard, an archdemon for a half brother and oh did I mention she’s the devil’s half human daughter? Her mother’s a wackjob, her sister’s a bitchy half demoness who relishes in destruction and her Uncle is God and she’s the half demoness who has to keep them appea
Jane Niemeyer
Sep 15, 2011 Jane Niemeyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a hoot! We are introduced to Faith and Hope Bettincourt, the half human, half demonic daughters of Lucifer himself. We meet their Mother Roisin, her brother Tolliver, his girl friend Lisa, a newly made succubus and a whole host of minor deity’s. Along with hell’s denizens we also get to meet Matt, a half human and half angel , the Lord Almighty and his son Jesus.
The story takes place in Pittsburg Pennsylvania, who knew that will become a portal to hell. I know that there are probably some p
Aislynn (Stitch Read Cook)

What does a goody two-shoes nurse, a failed con artist, a newly made succubus and a pain in the rump brother have in common? This was a fantastic hilarious read!! It had me giggling and out right laughing through the entire story. The witty snarky interaction between the characters was amazing!!

Faith is the youngest daughter of the Prince of Darkness - yes the devil! The sudden appearance of her sister - Hope (a failed occult leader - con artist), her brother in law - Boris (who has fallen up) a
Lexie
Oh my. I heard about Entangled Publishing on twitter first and checked out their line up of upcoming novels. As a new publisher they have a nice assorted of books with more in the future looking rocking (check out Inara Scott's Radiant Desire!). If LUCK OF THE DEVIL, the first in the "Speak of the Devil" series is any indication then I think I found a new publisher love of life.

At first the book begins kind of shaky--it tosses information, snark and pithy commentary at us at fast speeds that onl
Nikki
Jul 13, 2011 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No matter how dysfunctional you may think your family is, I guarantee Faith Bettincourt, main character of Luck of the Devil, by Patricia Elmer, can top it. Her half brother is the Demon of Gluttony, her sister makes the girls in Jersey Shore look like regular Pollyannas, her mom is a nature-worshiping, spirit-communing, off her rocker nosy busybody, her brother-in-law is an incubus, her best friend Lisa recently became a soul-eating succubus, and her dear old Daddy is the Devil himself. Then th ...more
Melliane
Feb 14, 2013 Melliane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

Mon avis en Français

My English review

With the release of the second book, I thought it was finally time to read this first novel. I won it a long time ago on a blog but I never got into it as I always had something else to read. What a mistake! I was completely swept away by the story and the writing style of Patricia Eimer.

Faith tries hier best to live a normal life, but it's difficult when you have a family as unusual as hers. Yes, because she is the youngest daughter of Satan. But she li
Amber  Read
Sep 19, 2011 Amber Read rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Luck of the Devil is witty, funny, sexy, and full of all kinds of goodness. It's the story Faith a half human, half demon who lives in Pittsburgh. Her room mate is a newly made succubus, her half brother is a demon, her sister is a demon, her mother is bat shit crazy, her hot neighbor has some secrets up his sleeve, and to top it all off, her father is Lucifer himself.

This is family is the poster child for dysfunctional. You know that they love each other but they are crazy. Faith has all of th
  • A Deadly Whisper (The Watchers, #1)
  • Banshee Charmer (Files of the Otherworlder Enforcement Agency #1)
  • Raven's Kiss (Raven Grace, #1)
  • Hellsbane (Hellsbane #1)
  • Out in Blue (Return to Sanctuary, #1)
  • A Demon Does It Better (Hex, #6)
  • Blood of the Demon (Demons of Infernum, #1)
  • Lust After Death (Love-Bots, #1)
  • Laird of Darkness
  • The "What If" Guy
  • Demon Hunting in the Deep South (Demon Hunting, #2)
  • Blood Oath (Mystic Wolves #1C)
  • Stone Cold Seduction (Set in Stone, #1)
  • Sins of the Son (Grigori Legacy, #2)
  • My Dangerous Pleasure (My Immortals #4)
  • Renegade (The Protectors, #1)
  • Charming Blue (Fates, #8)
  • Unruly Magic (Stella Mayweather, #2)

Speak of the Devil (3 books)
  • Devil May Care (Speak of the Devil, #2)
  • Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (Speak of the Devil, #3)