Start by marking “Four, Five and Six” as Want to Read:
Four, Five and Six

Four, Five and Six

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Contains: The Singing Sands, A Shilling for Candles, The Daughter of Time
Published March 1958 by MacMillan/ BCE (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Four, Five and Six, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four, Five and Six

Anna
This is a single volume reprint of three Alan Grant mystery novels: The Singing Sands, A Shilling for Candles, and The Daughter of Time. I enjoyed all of these very much.
Dennis Fischman
If the other two books were as well constructed as The Daughter of Time, I would give the collection an extra star. There's a reason that book is considered a classic. Now I am intrigued enough that I have to see what the historians say these days about Tey's thesis that Richard III did not murder the Princes in the Tower (view spoiler)
Kate
classic. each book was totally individual. did not feel genrish at all. Alan Grant is a wonderful character. The mysteries were each a completely unique story with well developed characters. The countryside was so well drawn that I was drawn in. Also an excellent window into the time period of the pure center of the 20th century.
Kelly
The Singing Sands- good. A Shilling for Candles- good. The Daughter of Time- great.

I'm really liking Alan Grant. Daughter of Time was my favorite in this collection. I'll have to look up Richard III and find out what he was really like!
Karen
Aug 24, 2012 Karen marked it as to-read
The page numbers listed for this edition are way off. There are three books in this edition and the page numbers are separate for each book. The total comes to 613 pages.
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Guncha Kesharwani
Guncha Kesharwani marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Mahen
Mahen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Katherine Posner
Katherine Posner marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Linda Dunphy
Linda Dunphy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Quirks59m
Quirks59m marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Melissa Minteer
Melissa Minteer marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Kylie
Kylie marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Naphtali
Naphtali marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Jay Bobbitt
Jay Bobbitt marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Hilma Ostrow
Hilma Ostrow marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Josephine Tey was a pseudonym of Elizabeth Mackintosh. Josephine was her mother's first name and Tey the surname of an English Grandmother. As Josephine Tey, she wrote six mystery novels including Scotland Yard's Inspector Alan Grant.

The first of these, 'The Man in the Queue' (1929) was published under the pseudonym of Gordon Daviot, whose name also appears on the title page of another of her 1929
More about Josephine Tey...
The Daughter of Time (Inspector Alan Grant, #5) The Man in the Queue (Inspector Alan Grant, #1) Miss Pym Disposes A Shilling for Candles (Inspector Alan Grant, #2) Brat Farrar