Start by marking “Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5)” as Want to Read:
Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #5)

Running the Maze (Kyle Swanson Sniper #5)

In the aftermath of great floods, a doctor on a relief mission in northeastern Pakistan discovers the remains of a collapsed bridge that reminds him of a bridge near his childhood home in Ohio. He snaps a cellphone picture and sends it to his sister—just before his entire team is slaughtered.His sister is Beth Ledford, a Coast Guard sniper, who suspects that the answer to ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Running the Maze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running the Maze

Feb 14, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
I won and advanced reader copy of this book from Library Thing. I have never read any books by this author and I liked this book a lot. The author has an impeccable record in the military and the book was very nail biting to read, a high intensity, faced-pace thriller. I liked the characters in the book and how the author’s use of his own military background helped to shape the characters. I have never read a military fiction book, always non-fiction, but found myself thinking I was reading non- ...more
Heather
Mar 31, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
“Running the Maze” by Jack Coughlin is not a novel that I thought I would enjoy reading. Much to my surprise, I found myself caught up in the story as soon as I started reading it and couldn’t put it down. It is the story of a Coast Guard sniper, Beth Ledford, and a Special Agent, Kyle Swanson, who need to team up and find out what was happening in Pakistan. Beth’s brother, a doctor on a medical relief mission in Pakistan, is killed due to something he saw. Beth is determined to find out what wa ...more
Nick Brett
Dec 14, 2012 Nick Brett rated it it was ok
The fifth in the series to feature sniper Kyle Swanson working for a small Government black ops team. In this book, he teams up with a female Coastguard sniper to investigate dodgy happenings around a new bridge in Pakistan.

It’s an odd book, somewhat spoilt by a couple of farfetched plot lines but there are also some good bits. It starts off well with a medical team getting wiped out near the bridge, sufficient characterisation that we actually care about them and regret their passing. But it is
Diane
Feb 20, 2012 Diane rated it liked it
I won this as a first read. Really do not read military thrillers. Did find this a interesting read. Right out of the pages of life today. The book is well written and the characters are very true to life.

This is military thriller with a lot of face pace to it and many twist that gives you a heart stopping thrill.

You will find yourself kept guessing and asking question. We are following to military snipers sent in to find out what happen to a medical team that was executed and what a picture hol
Logan Carter
Mar 17, 2012 Logan Carter rated it really liked it
A military thriller which could have been taken straight out of today's headlines. Fast paced, action-packed, yet believable. Even if military thrillers are not your "cup of tea", this is a book which can be enjoyed by anyone who simply likes a good story.

I received this book free through Goodreads. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. (I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning t
Cynthia
Mar 14, 2012 Cynthia rated it liked it
I won this book in a Goodreads 'first-reads' giveaway. When I first began the book I thought it might be a real...kind of a 'deep, too much military type jargon' type deal, & I wasn't too sure I'd be able to get into it. I am happy to report that was not to be the case! I found that it turned out to be quite a 'cat & mouse' plot, & kept the reader interested. There was alot of military in it...& it was really good, actually. So I found myself to be pleasantly surprised & enjo ...more
Marcus Calvert
Jan 09, 2013 Marcus Calvert rated it liked it
Took a bit long for the action to perk up. Then it peaked a bit early. And the ending was predictable.

Still, it was a decent read. The concept and threat were interesting. And the action, when it finally started, was well-done. But I'd recommend the first book in this series. T'was much better.
Elizabeth Whitehead
Feb 15, 2012 Elizabeth Whitehead rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I received as a Goodreads Advanced Readers Copy. The story was true to life and felt like something that could potentially happen in today's crazy world. I look forward to more books from Jack Coughlin and Donald Davis.
Bobby
Mar 10, 2012 Bobby rated it really liked it
An entertaining "elite SEAL" story that doesn't get hung up on a lot of unbelievable stunts and endless array of acronyms. I found "Running the Maze" to be a suspenful, action-packed tale that kept me in a non-stop reading mode. Very pleased to have won this ARC through Goodread's giveaway site.
Jamie Stanley
I won this book in a goodreads giveaway. Thank you!!!!
Rustan Colobong
Nov 29, 2016 Rustan Colobong rated it it was amazing
love this book, it was written and read brilliantly
David
May 10, 2012 David rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to win this great book in one of the give away's. I was slightly skeptical for a few reasons. 1: My last experience with a give-away was not so great and 2: this is not typically the type of book I enjoy.

Let me just say that this book made me take it to work and other places just because I wanted to continue to read it. Kyle Swanson (one of the main chars) was very well evolved throughout the book and would definitely be someone that I would enjoy reading more about. Think Di
Wayne
Jan 14, 2014 Wayne rated it it was amazing
This was the fifth book by Jack Coughlin with Kyle Swanson as the lead character. Gunnery Sargent Swanson is part of a highly classified super secret group called Task Force Trident which reports directly to the President of the United States. A new character is introduced in this book, Beth Ledford who they nick named Coastie as she was from the U. S. Coast Guard. She was a super accurate sniper but untrained in counter terrorist techniques. She went through rigorous training to be a candidate ...more
Tom Tischler
In the aftermath of a great flood a doctor on a relief mission in
northeastern Pakistan discovers the remains of a collapsed bridge that
reminds him of one near his childhood home in Ohio. He snaps a cellphone
picture and sends it to his sister just before his entire team is
slaughtered. Beth Ledford is his sister and she is a Coast Guard sniper
She believes that the answer to her brothers death is in the photo but
no one believes her until she finds Kyle Swanson who is a member of a secret
operations
Chris
May 06, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Always love these tall tales. Fast paced, short, and unbelievable but believable aura about them. There are some very minor appalling errors on military ranks that were absent from the previous four books. We get a new female character and the traitor/conspirator within the highest echelons of the government plot line in this yarn. More Islamic terror from our friends in Pakistan but the attack that's being planned against the USA is quite unique and fresh. Never knew how they would choose to en ...more
Jessica
May 26, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, first-reads
I won this book through goodreads.com's firstreads. this is far from my typical read or something I would pick up on my own. I do not typically read military thrillers, also, this is the 5th book in a series that I haven't read any other book from. That being said, this book was readable as a stand-alone without reading the previous books in the series.

The book was an action packed tale that takes placed mostly in the US and Pakistan. When a group of foreign doctors are found murdered in Pakist
Brittany Larson
Apr 20, 2012 Brittany Larson rated it really liked it
I got this book through a Good Reads giveaway. I gave it four stars, so I obviously enjoyed this book, but I can't pinpoint exactly why. It is co-written by a retired marine officer, though it is a novel. It reads like it was a true story, not super great or lyrical writing, but clear and concise. The story was slightly predictable, but in a sort of enjoyable way. It is about a young woman who is with the Coast Guard, and a well-trained specials ops soldier whose team answer to no one but the Pr ...more
Tracy
Jun 09, 2012 Tracy rated it liked it
I received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I enjoyed the fast paced action and "behind the scenes" look at the current war on terror. I have not read the previous books in this series but this did not deter my enjoyment of the story. My only slight issue with the character development is having a minor villain possess Dissociative Identity Disorder. This diagnosis occurs very rarely and seemed to be a flashy choice to replace the typical sociopathic villain angle. Otherwise, I thought the sto ...more
Robin
Apr 11, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-giveaway
Won an ARC copy on Giveaways - man, I love unexpected books in the mail. Can't wait to start reading it. Will update review upon completiong. Thanks Goodreads.

A very enjoyable military thriller in the style of Tom Clancy or Dale Brown with a little Matthew Reilly thrown in on the side. This book has action enough to keep you turning the pages. I highly recommend for fans of military, political action/thrillers.
Superdave Klapwyk
Jan 12, 2014 Superdave Klapwyk rated it liked it
This book was alright, but I thought the bad guys got killed off too easily, in fact everything went a little too well for the good guys. This took away from what could have been a really good book. By the time you got into one of the bad guy's head, he was easily killed off. The story also seemed to deflate about 3/4 of the way through the book. The middle of the book had some decent action and the book was well written.
Cynthia
Dec 08, 2014 Cynthia rated it really liked it
Although I am rating it a "4", the plot was a bit contrived in reference to the acquisition of a new team member and the American terrorist's not very well thought-out plot at the end, but I still enjoyed it. I especially loved the end, when Swanson is on Oahu. I happened to finish this book on December 7th.
Jenna
Jan 31, 2012 Jenna rated it really liked it
This book was enjoyable, if not a little choppy. It could stand to have another proof-read as there are multiple spelling/grammar errors, and the dialogue seemed a little awkward throughout. However, it was the action-packed adventure that it promised. If you like military adventures and are good with the terminology, you would probably like this book :)
Kaitlin
Apr 21, 2012 Kaitlin rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
The development of the characters was done very well; how you could easily see them operating in real world locations and situations.

However, the execution could have been done better, the dialogue needs some work, and I just really didn't think it was a good read. I much prefer Tom Clancy books.
Heather
May 02, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Revenge for the death of a loved one is the focus of this novel. A seasoned sniper takes a less experienced one under his wing in preparation for an operation aimed at killing the people responsible for the death of some aid workers. It's an interesting tale, but not much emotional depth to the characters. An okay read.
Wilde Sky
Jun 02, 2014 Wilde Sky rated it really liked it
An international medical team is murdered after seeing something suspicious in Pakistan and a team of American soldiers are sent to investigate.

I found this a very enjoyable read, some of the plot points were far-fetched, but still an entertaining book.
Nathan Fogg
Oct 21, 2012 Nathan Fogg rated it it was amazing
I read this right after reading Pursuit of Honor by Vince Flynn. This book made up for everything Flynn lacked. Multiple perspectives, a well played climax followed by another, and a ending that left just enough room for the story.
Gary
Jun 04, 2012 Gary rated it liked it
A corrupt astronaut, sniper rifles with a two-mile range and a former British SAS fighter who is now a rich industrialist willing to support Trident clandestine ops with weapons and transportation, and Coughlin and Davis (An Act of Treason, 2011, etc.) hit the action-adventure 10-ring again.
Keith
Sep 07, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it
More excellent military action from Jack Coughlin. This book is as good as the others in the series, though I will say the whole high-tech, terrorist stronghold was a little far-fetched. Other then that, definitely an exciting page-turner.
Bethany
Sep 13, 2012 Bethany rated it liked it
It was a good book but not my taste in books. It was kind of slow for me until the last few chapters. I was kind of hoping that the coastie and Swanson got together at least but the don't evaluate on that and leave you hanging at the end.
Richard
Jan 01, 2013 Richard rated it did not like it
i was hoping the book would be better, somehow the story didnt carry on from the other books! the book was still very good and the way the book was written very good, but still the story and the way it didnt carry on from the other books was little bit of a let down!
  • A Thousand Bayonets
  • Angels of Wrath (Larry Bond's First Team, #2)
  • The Drunk Diet: How I Lost 40 Pounds... Wasted
  • Domino Theory (Rogue Warrior, #15)
  • Tin Soldier (Seven Halos, #2)
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • The Fourth Fisherman: How Three Mexican Fishermen Who Came Back from the Dead Changed My Life and Saved My Marriage
  • Awkward Moments with Men
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold #2)
  • How to Raise a Husband
  • A Deal with a Stranger: A Romantic/Mystery Novel Set in Sardinia
  • The Royal Wulff Murders (Sean Stranahan, #1)
  • Burly and Grum and the Secret City
  • The China Gambit (Craig Page, #1)
  • The Sniper and the Wolf (Sniper Elite, #3)
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment: A Treatment Guide
132058
Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin’s autobiography, Shooter, describes his experiences as the top-ranked marine sniper in the Iraq War.

Coughlin is also the author, with Donald A. Davis, of the Kyle Swanson Sniper Novels: Kill Zone, Dead Shot, Clean Kill, and An Act of Treason.

Coughlin grew up in Waltham, Massachusetts, and joined the Marines when he was 19. He served with the Marines during the drive to
More about Jack Coughlin...

Kyle Swanson Sniper (10 books)
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
  • Dead Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #2)
  • Clean Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #3)
  • An Act of Treason (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #4)
  • Time to Kill (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #6)
  • On Scope (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #7)
  • Night of the Cobra (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #8)
  • Long Shot (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #9)
  • In the Crosshairs (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #10)

“You don’t have to like it; you just have to do it.” 0 likes