Start by marking “Owls in the Family” as Want to Read:
Owls in the Family

Owls in the Family

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  3,237 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
Every child needs to have a pet. No one could argue with that.

But what happens when your pet is an owl, and your owl is terrorizing the neighbourhood?

In Farley Mowat’s exciting children’s story, a young boy’s pet menagerie – which includes crows, magpies, gophers and a dog – grows out of control with the addition of two cantankerous pet owls. The story of how Wol and Weeps
Published July 1st 1989 by McClelland & Stewart (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Owls in the Family, please sign up.

Scott Shamblin Owls in the Family:
Owls in the Family:
Owls in the Family is about a boy named Billy who finds a baby owl in an old abandoned nest. He brings him home and names him for Christopher Robin’s owl, Wol. Wol tries to make friends with the gophers, who think owls are natural enemies and he outsmarts Mutt the family dog.
When Mutt was eating Wol would go to the other side of the house and make a racket. Mutt would go to the other side of the house but Wol had already flown over and was eating Mutt’s dinner.
If you like hilarity and adventure this book is for you!
(less)

Brad
Mar 31, 2008 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Milos & Bronte & Scoutie & Noah
I don't know how true these memories are, but they are my memories, so they are true enough for this. Around 34 or 35 years ago, I went into my elementary school library and talked to Mrs. Dogleash (surely Mrs. Dalgliesh, like the famous Liverpool footballer and manager, but we always thought of her as Dogleash). I needed a book. She gave me Owls in the Family.

I remember the orange-gold shag carpet of my bedroom where I sat and read in the evening. I remember a flashlight and my crocheted blank
Katie
I remembered loving this book from when I was a kid! My sister's favorite animals were owls, so we were in awe of Farley's family who had two pet owls. After looking around for this book in the library, I finally ordered it off Amazon. It was so worth it! It was a quick read of 3 sittings and all three of my kids loved it and we all laughed and laughed. I've liked most of Farley Mowatt's books, but I've never read his most famous book: Never Cry Wolf. Someday I'll get to that.
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
I struggled between three and four stars on this one. It's an interesting tale, but for the most part, it's one of those children's books where each chapter is a separate adventure, and that's generally not my cup of tea. I ultimately went with four stars regardless since this book is just so readable and entertaining too.
~☆~Autumn♥♥☽
This is so much fun to read about his owls. If you like them do read it. It is easily read in one day and a few laughs.
Beth Hollmann
Apr 06, 2016 Beth Hollmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book to my son, who is 8, for a book report he needed to do for school. I'd heard the book recommended often throughout my years of homeschooling, but never gotten around to actually reading it. I'm so glad I did! We both thoroughly enjoyed it. My son, in particular, enjoyed reading about boys who love the outdoors, like he does (although he has much less accessibility to wild space than they did). The book tells how Billy, the main character, and his friends Bruce and Murray, come a ...more
Amy
9/10 - So good! One of our favorite readalouds of the summer. Full review here: http://www.sunlitpages.com/2016/09/re...
Carolyn
Jun 05, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: battle-books
This book made me miss my dad. It's the true story of a boy who raises two owls and the various adventures they have together. It both reminded me of him, and reminded me how much he enjoyed animal stories. I love that this book is still on our library's Battle of the Books list. It is so not politically correct and I loved for that. I loved that the father claimed he was going to give his son a whopping, that they dressed the owls in doll clothes for a pet parade, that the father guns down as m ...more
Lilac Mohr
Dec 29, 2016 Lilac Mohr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-alouds
This was such an entertaining family read-aloud. My children (ages 5 and 7) were laughing so hard at the owls' antics! I highly recommend this charming book.

Just a note that the book may not be suitable for extra-sensitive children since some animals (baby owls, cats, crows) die.
Emily
Aug 27, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this several years ago, and I remember liking it. I read it with a group of kids when I was working as a paraeducator.
Karen
May 05, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Jacob's choice. Funny story about the antics of two owls. Great story for kids to see what fun they can have in nature and with pets. We loved it.
Shiloah
A wonderful book! We read it aloud as a family and it was a favorite! We laughed a lot and enjoyed every bit of this heart-warming story.
Amy
Apr 10, 2017 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If I was a kid reading this I'd give it more stars, although kids today may take umbrage at the same parts I did: steeling wild animals and their eggs and killing wild animals for fun... Aside from those parts it was a fun read.
Mike
Jul 09, 2017 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: veda
This book was hilarious. I would have loved it if it were set anywhere, but who doesn't love getting to say Saskatoon, Saskatchewan!?
Lexi
Apr 22, 2017 Lexi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya, fiction
This little book is a hoot.
Kelly Wagner
May 17, 2016 Kelly Wagner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Friends gave this to me years ago, and I finally got to reading it during my recover-from-surgery weeks spent sitting around. This is one of Mowat's early books, written before "Never Cry Wolf" (the one he's most famous for.) It's more or less a juvenile, written from the point of view of a boy of somewhere between 10 and 13 and meant to appeal to boys that age. However, in the 21st century, I doubt that vision of boyhood would be at all recognizable to boys that age - even in rural areas, child ...more
Kristi
Jan 01, 2014 Kristi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Description: So. Supposing you lived in a town on the Canadian prairie. Then supposing you had a chance to take home a couple of orphaned great horned owls. Then, supposing said owls grew to full size, liked to nibble on people's ears, teased your dog, fought with skunks (yup! during dinner!), followed you to school, climbed trees... and couldn't fly. What a summer that would be! It's unpredictable. It's funny. And it's all true!

Concerns: None.

Summary: Maybe my personality has biased my outlook,
Alexis
May 08, 2014 Alexis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Re-read as a tribute to Farley Mowat on the day that he died. I loved this book as a child and it holds up surprisingly well. Mowat is a gifted and talented writer, and his work is both simple and descriptive. I also loved the references to Saskatoon- he refers to the railroad bridge and Spadina. I just learned that Farley Mowat had a column in the Saskatoon Star Phoenix when he was 13 years old.

When I was small, I was convinced that this book was a true story. I only discovered last night that
Chrisl
Sep 03, 2012 Chrisl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mowat's Owl story is, in my memory, a quick read sequel to Mutt's story. Decades after first reading it, the memory of the hilarious scene with the garage mechanic, the owls and goggled dog in the Mowat family car's rumble seat still brings a smile ... If you have an interest in owls, I suggest adding this to your TBR.

The Dog Who Wouldn't Be
Tori
Sep 20, 2009 Tori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, this book is cute and easy to read. The problem I had with it was it's supposed to be humorous, but I found it a little bit sad. I don't know if I'm just weird that way or what, but other people would probaby enjoy it!
Abby
Aug 27, 2014 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Required reading in grade school, this episodic story is one I never forgot. I just love the style and tone of this quick read and I wish there was a snazzy re-print so I could hand this one out to families like candy.
Michael Stewart
May 23, 2014 Michael Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So full of wonderful references and details. I think the best word for it is: Delightful. Perfect for the 9-10 year old in your life. It also recalls a free-parenting world in which kids could just be kids. RIP Mr. Mowat
Shawne
Aug 20, 2016 Shawne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read-alouds
Delightful! I want a baby owl.
Shannon
Jan 23, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, liam, humor
A nice story that opened up some discussions about animals and respecting their environment. The owls were funny and provided a lot of laughs. My son didn't like the ending though.
Cathy Wagner
Mar 16, 2016 Cathy Wagner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun class read aloud. It was written in 1961, we had fun comparing a child's life then and now. The animals' antics sparked a lot of laughter.
Josh
May 04, 2012 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this as a kid, and just re-read for fun. I was hoping I'd like it just as much, and I did. Can't wait to read it to our kids in a few years.
Megan {A Barefoot Gal}
This book is hilarious! One of the few books that I've actually laughed out loud at.
DeB MaRtEnS
One never to be forgotten, even though Farley Mowat may have created most of his "true" stories. Memorable, adorable and beloved.
Raelene
Jan 10, 2009 Raelene rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, favorites
Loved this book in elementary school. The adventure was gripping and the antics always thrilling to a little girl with a big imagination.
Abe
Sep 28, 2012 Abe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Owls in the Family is a very good book, but I don't think there's really a main problem (though there is a main idea). Also, I think there are a lot of unimportant details.
We love
Mar 17, 2012 We love rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My children and I LOVED this book! Very funny and we learned a lot about owls and various other animals. Highly recommend it! :)
What's The Name o...: boy finds two owls, he found one in oil drum [s] 4 19 Oct 22, 2014 11:40AM
Friends with Books: Owls in the Family 13 12 Jan 30, 2013 04:43PM
  • The Secret World of Og
  • Little Pear
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • Alligator Pie (Collector's Edition)
  • Mountain Born
  • The Year of Miss Agnes (Aladdin Historical Fiction)
  • The Adventures of Reddy Fox
  • Mary On Horseback: Three Mountain Stories
  • Oscar, Cat-About-Town
  • The Hockey Sweater
  • Baby Island
  • Beware the Fish! (MacDonald Hall, #3)
Farley McGill Mowat was a conservationist and one of Canada's most widely-read authors.
Many of his most popular works have been memoirs of his childhood, his war service, and his work as a naturalist. His works have been translated into 52 languages and he has sold more than 14 million books.
Mowat studied biology at the University of Toronto. During a field trip to the Arctic, Mowat became outrag
More about Farley Mowat...