Start by marking “Jennifer Scales and the Messenger of Light (Jennifer Scales, #2)” as Want to Read:
Jennifer Scales and the Messenger of Light (Jennifer Scales, #2)

Jennifer Scales and the Messenger of Light (Jennifer Scales #2)

Jennifer Scales is trapped in the middle of tensions between weredragons, beaststalkers, and werachnids. If peace isn't found soon, whole races can be lost and her family-and newfound brother-destroyed.
Published June 26th 2007 by Ace (first published May 26th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jennifer Scales and the Messenger of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jennifer Scales and the Messenger of Light

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

It's not always easy to find out that you are half-beaststalker, half-weredragon, especially when life is just beginning to get better. Jennifer Scales knows exactly how it feels. If only her parents would have told her sooner, it may have been easier. For one thing, though, her strength is perfect for playing soccer.

With some quick adjustments, Jennifer began to get used to the whole morphing-into-a-dragon thing, especially s
Aelvana
Dec 30, 2014 Aelvana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Life as a were-dragon has become almost normal, but Jennifer still has a lot to learn. And breaking the rules turns out to have more of a consequence than Jennifer was expecting. When her beaststalker heritage is exposed to the rest of the dragons, even they don't trust her anymore. A new arrival complicates matters even more. A sibling Jennifer didn't know she had is intent on wrecking her father's life. If Jennifer can't figure something out, everyone she loves may be killed.

This is in many wa
Caitlin
Apr 23, 2008 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Magic, Animal, And dragon lovers will enjoy this book
Recommended to Caitlin by: My big Brother and mom
Summary: Where can you find weredragons, beaststalkers, and werachnids all in one room? Jennifer Scales's family reunion.

Getting through high school is hard enough. Jennifer Scales has the added pressure of her weredragon life, taking trips to Crescent Lake to morph into a dragon under the constant threat of enemy attack. What's worse, she's also half beaststalker from her Mom's side. Beaststalkers and weredragons are mortal enemies, and tension is growing over some suspicious deaths lately. She
Yessenia Andaverde
Certainly it was better than the last book, but still the protagonist is a moody teenager who doesn't seem to madurate, much less learn from her mistakes and God forbid she takes a moment to thank before she acts.

The most impressive moments were rushed, I never got the time to really feel (view spoiler). There was this shocking moment and the next thing we know, there is a meeting, a mission, more meetings, fights, talks, meetings, fight, talk, and a great end.
Angelic Zaizai

Jennifer ternyata punya sodara tiri yang berusaha memusnahkan keluarganya karena dendam merasa diabaikan oleh ayahnya [yang juga ayahnya Jennifer:] dan ibunya [yang juga ibunya Seth:].
Masalahnya wujud Angelos sebagai manusia ga jelas, jadi memburunya pun susah.
Identitas Jennifer sebagai separuh beaststalker membuatnya harus berlatih kemampuan sebagai beaststalker, yang ga semudah membiasakan diri sebagai naga haha.
Jennifer juga mengetahui asal usul kota Winoka, kenapa disana banyak banget kelua
Stacey
Jan 30, 2015 Stacey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great. I thought it was better than "The Ancient" Furnace. Jennifer has come to terms with her identity as a dragon and is now facing some of her beaststalker identity. Soon everything is twisted around, when her half-brother searches her family out for revenge. People actually die, and the action doesn't stop. There are times where you don't really know who is on Jennifer's side and who is against her. Jennifer is definitely growing up and she faces quite a bit more than most girls ...more
Diana
April
Mar 19, 2012 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2012-reads
Really great second story in the series! Jennifer is figuring out what it is to be a half were-dragon and a beaststalker, she is training with her mom and learning new skills. Things seem to be finally getting back to "normal", until a friend of her father's dies mysteriously...
Jennifer finds that her parents are keeping more secrets, one of which is that her Dad was married before and had a child, and now it seems that the child is out to kill her family!
I love all the interesting characters,
Theresa
I though this series would be cool due the weredragon thing but it’s just stupid.

Even for a teenager, Jennifer shouldn't be so rude to her mom. It’s overkill. But then her mom isn't much better. Probably where Jennifer learned it. Not sure I’m liking the way these characters are headed. The characters ruin and drag down the story. Best part is Geddy the gecko.

I’ll try one more book.

Quick thought: 1) didn’t know that the Mall of the America’s parking lot was sectioned by states. That’s cool.

ave
Kellie
This one was more fun to start reading, since I knew the story of Jennifer and her family already. There were sad parts to this book, and some characters that were being really wishy-washy and getting on my nerves, too. I'm glad that Jennifer finally got to meet the "real" Catherine, but still think she needs to be wary of Skip. The whole Evangelos thing was surprising, but at least I was partly right on who he was. The whole fight scene got to be a bit tiresome, though.

I look forward to more st
Tammy
You know those beaststalkers who hunt and kill weredragons? Her mom is one. Oh, and also her mom isn't her dad's first wife and Jennifer isn't her dad's first child. Always the rule breaker, Dad once loved a werearachnid and Jennifer has a mysterious and dangerous new sibling. When people connected to her Dad start dying, Jennifer and her friends try to figure out what's going on and keep everyone safe.
Bryan457
This has a more complex plot than the 1st book. We have Jennifer's half brother out for revenge and some complex relationships between weredragan, werarachnid and beaststalker. There were also some relationship problems between Jennifer and her friends.

I did not enjoy Jennifer the self-focused whiner and her relationships with her friends.
Kim
Aug 29, 2008 Kim rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, teen-and-up
Better than the first, but Jennifer is still a whinny brat who, yes, there are things she hasn't been told, some because she does not need to know them at this point and others because she doesn't give anybody a chance to tell her. She is hot-headed, stubborn, and whinny. I am still trying to have sympathy for her, but it is hard.

Still too many descriptions of creepy crawlies!
Samuel Lubell
Nov 23, 2014 Samuel Lubell rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Not quite as good as the first book. The author tacks on additional elements and characters. There is a nice twist as the main characters struggle to find out their enemy's secret identity only to learn... (no I won't spoil it.) Still, good characterization and a nice lesson in the danger of keeping secrets.
Terri
Jennifer is back with her family and adapting to her life as a weredragon and beastalker. But a new enemy is killing those near her father and her world is about to be shaken up again. I really enjoyed this book. Jennifer is a strong protag and the created world is fascinating with its prejudices that need to be bridged.
Cara
This book was more complicated, and not in a good way. Jennifer finds out that she has a half-brother floating around in another dimensio, and he is killing people close to the family.
Then there are the relationships Jennifer has with Skip and other kids at school. Rocky would be a good word to describe those.
I liked the first one much better, but this was a nice follow-up.
Ellie
Jan 29, 2010 Ellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jennifer is getting better as a main character overall. I like that the story line is increasing in scope and that more characters are being added that you know will be major contributors as the series continues.
Anna
Nov 12, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love how she can write characters that are so epic but so human at the same time. This series lives up every bit to the Betsy series. Despite all the supernatural storyline, you feel like you're getting to know a real person with a real life throughout the book.
Sonja Isaacson
Nov 21, 2012 Sonja Isaacson rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, minnesota
Dragons in Minnesota!

This was much better than the first book. I like that she's working with the relationships Jennifer has with her friends and family. And developing the politics of the dragons and beaststalkers...which no doubt Jennifer will totally screw with as the series continues.
Andrea
Mar 28, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
This book is okay. I am still having a hard time getting into them. I think there is too much science fiction in these books and not enough humor to really interest me. But I have the next book in the series to read, and I'm going to dive into it now.
Karen
Nov 18, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one even better than the first - relationships are all mixed up as Jennifer and her family and friends all try to figure out who is who and who thinks what about the others. There were a lot of intense moments and some sad ones.
Jan
I read this one right after the first in the series. It explains many things and I really enjoyed it. You do have to get past the whole turning into a dragon thing. Once you are there it is a fun ride.
Annie
Nov 18, 2011 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably should be more like 3.5 stars. I liked it better than the first one. I thought I had it all figured out and was going to be very disappointed if I did - and thankfully, I was wrong! It's no fun when a book is obvious. I'm glad this one wasn't.
Brandy
This was the second in the series and was good again. I didn't figure out who Evangelos was and had no idea it would play out like that. I'm not sure how many more of these are?
Abbie
Mar 07, 2008 Abbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE! This series is even better than Harry Potter, I dare to say!
I read the first book in this series and it was SOOOOOOOOOOO good! This one is also equally good! But, it's really really sad in one part! YOU HAVE TO READ THIS SERIES! I love this book!
Karen
Jun 04, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good second entry in the series. Jennifer learns more stuff about being a weredragon and friends and family. Looking forward to a third one.
Michellestevens234
couldn't get into it, bit disappointed so just took it back to the library. Maybe I'll give it another go some time
Patrice
Nov 05, 2009 Patrice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series continues to be good. It's a good balance of action, plot and character development. It's also a good balance of comedy and drama. I like my dramas not to be total downers.
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
jennifer is funny. the messenger was a little strange - multiple personalities and everything. but i liked this one. number 3 in on its way - i cant wait!
Michelle
Mar 31, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. Just like the first book, it had a surprise twist. I love when a book surprised you.
  • Bewitched, Bothered & Bevampyred 2: Fangs Again
  • The Ice Dragon (Dragon Knights, #3)
  • Dark Side of Dawn (Nightmare Chronicles, #2)
  • Awakening Beauty (Fairytale Fantasies # 3)
  • The Polyamorous Princess
  • Ryder On The Storm
  • Firewalker (Stormwalker, #2)
  • Bound (Little Goddess, #3)
  • Wurm War (OutCast, #4)
  • Lost Truth (Truth, #4)
  • Winging It (The Dragon Diaries, #2)
  • The Secret of the Keepers (Kailmeyra Book 2)
  • A Love Like No Other
  • The Breeder (Wasteland, #3)
  • Tears of the Dragon (Dragonshifters, #1)
  • Unknown Magic (Daughter of Prophecy, #1)
MaryJanice Davidson is an American author who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series. She is both a New York Times and USA Today bestseller. She won a 2004 Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award and was nominated for the same award in 2005.

MaryJanice's Facebook page:

More about MaryJanice Davidson...

Jennifer Scales (6 books)
  • Jennifer Scales and the Ancient Furnace (Jennifer Scales, #1)
  • The Silver Moon Elm (Jennifer Scales, #3)
  • Seraph of Sorrow (Jennifer Scales, #4)
  • Rise of the Poison Moon (Jennifer Scales, #5)
  • Evangelina (Jennifer Scales, #6)