Start by marking “Asterix and the Laurel Wreath (Asterix, #18)” as Want to Read:
Asterix and the Laurel Wreath (Asterix, #18)
Preview

Asterix and the Laurel Wreath (Asterix #18)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  2,861 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Chief Vitalstatistix has rashly bet his brother-in-law, the infuriating show-off Homeopathix, that he can get hold of Caesar's laurel wreath to season a stew. Of course, now it's up to Asterix and Obelix to go to Rome, find the wreath, and bring it back for the promised dinner. Can they save Vitalstatistix's honor?
Published October 28th 2004 by Asterix (first published September 30th 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix and the Laurel Wreath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix and the Laurel Wreath

D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri d'AulaireGreek Myths for Young Children by Heather AmeryThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Greek Myths by Robert GravesTreasury of Greek Mythology by Donna Jo Napoli
Books for young people about Ancient Greece and Rome
158th out of 164 books — 26 voters
Strega Nona by Tomie dePaolaBreakaway by Bryan  MurphyThe Thief Lord by Cornelia FunkeLinehan's Trip by Bryan  MurphyMurder By Suicide by Bryan  Murphy
Italy Italy
44th out of 174 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

David Sarkies
Life in the big city
16 October 2013

This album sees Asterix and Obelix return to Rome to assist Chief Vitalstatistix save face after a drunken boast made at the house of his despised brother-in-law in Lutetia. Basically his brother-in-law is quite a rich merchant, who doesn't have to travel any more because he has other people to do that for him. Anyway, Impedimentia (the Chief's wife) seems to be a little upset that her brother is a well to do merchant while her husband is the chief of a villag
Matthew Hunter
The scenes of drunken bravado by Vitalstatistix and Obelix are absolutely hilarious. The premise of a despised brother-in-law (named Homeopathix!) prodding a Gaulish tribal chief to make over-the-top promises (providing a banquet with stew seasoned by Caesar's laurel wreath) makes for an awesome story. And for the first time, Obelix over-indulges in wine. "Zigackly! Whatsisname ish ferpectly right! Hic!" "Let go of me, Asterix! We're going to Rome to bring back Chaeshar's laurel wreath! Zigactly ...more
Vasco Ribeiro
O tema é clássico nos livros de Astérix: Um desafio fanfarrónico, que se mostra difícil, mas de que Astérix e Obélix se saiem satisfatoriamente. Nete livro sobressaiem os parlelismos com a modernidade: Roma e Lutécia julgam-se as cidades mais prodigiosas do Universo; O trânsito nas cidades, O turismo, os pedintes e os ativistas, etc.
Nesta história bonemine e o chefe vão visitar o cunhado, Homeopatix, a Lutécia, que, romanizado, no jantar os humilha com a sua civilização. Abraracouricx, já bebido
Willem van den Oever
The amount of research done by the duo of Goscinny and Uderzo for the adventures of Asterix shows itself once again in the opening pages of book 18, “The Laurel Wreath”. Pacing through the streets of Rome, the reader is presented a stunning aerial view of the city, a trip through the market streets, a visit to Circus Maximus and finally the introduction of Asterix and Obelix, as they stroll through the streets of the metropolis.
In a nicely introduced flashback, we get to understand how the two G
Mazel
Abraracourcix et Bonemine se rendent à Lutèce chez le frère de cette dernière, Homéopatix, qui est un riche commerçant.

Astérix et Obélix les accompagnent mais, lors du repas du soir, le chef du village et Obélix se retrouvent saoûls et prétendent dans leur moment d'ivresse pouvoir voler la couronne de lauriers de Jules César (« Farpaitement ! »).

Homéopatix met au défi Astérix et Obélix de le faire.

Ce tome se distingue en abordant des sujets tels que l'esclavage, l'alcool et le brigandage, et
Jerome
An intriguing Asterix tale where the loud mouths and fiery tempers of Vitalstatistix and his cousin launch Asterix and Obelix on a quixotic quest for Caesar’s laurel wreath, and the two navigate a web of intrigue and silliness to get it. It includes the usual number of subtle, humorous jokes, historical references (Spartacus shows up at one point) and excellent artwork. It also includes a hilarious parody of Roman jurisprudence.

Humorous.
russell barnes
Not quite as good as I remember, but you can't go wrong with Asterix really can you?

However, two things occurred to me:
1. Are the brilliant English puns around the names straight translations, or do other countries have different names for the characters? What's the French for Getafix?
2. How come I've managed to buy my son a 1st edition? What sort of second hand bookshop is this? Obviously I'll have to look after it for him...

Aloysius
Reliving my childhood again - reading through the panels got me reminiscing about the time where my brothers and I would plough through the library in search for Asterix. It's so different reading it as an adult in contrast to almost 20 years ago. Love how each of the characters are introduced and gradually grows on you.
Steef
I completley forgot that this episode was such a good one. While trying to attain the laurel in Rome, A. & O. end up as 'luxury slaves' in a Roman household. A bit heavy on the booze, this book, but it's (sometimes) part of the plot.
Linda Hall
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
Knut Sigurd
Denne hadde eg ikkje lese på sikkert 25 år og soleis neste gløymt. Nytta høvet til å samanlikne litt med den norske utgåva og ser at sistnemte manglar skrifta på veggen i fangeholet.
Alex Wilson
This book was about Asterix and Oblix and the went to a town and the prices were really high and they helped some really rich people.
Saint No Stopping Us

Six out of ten. CBR format.

In a rash bet, Chief Vitalstatistix promised he could use Caesar's laurel wreath to season a stew. Asterix and Obelix set off to Rome to procur said item.

Maninee
when vitalstatistix and impedimenta (accompanied by asterix and obelix) visit impedimenta's brother (who adores impedimenta and annoys vitalstatistix), trouble is sure to brew. but little did asterix know that it how far the trouble would go. vitalstatistix(after a great deal of wine) invites his more-than-well-to-do brother to his village and boasts that his soup will be seasoned by ceasar's laurel wreath, leading asteris and obelix into another hilarious adventure, filled with fun and frolic
Yves
Oct 16, 2011 Yves rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: bd
J'ai bien aimé ce tome parce que l'aventure n'arrête jamais. Il n'y a aucun temps mort dans cette BD. Tout au long de l'histoire, on se demande comment nous deux héros vont réussir à obtenir cette fameuse couronne de Laurier. J'ai adoré les parties sur l'esclavage. J'ai aussi trouvé drôle lorsqu'ils se font condamné eux-même. Ce tome est un de mes préférés de toute la série et un des premiers que j'ai lu.
Bruce
Asterix the Laurel Wreath – A&O become Roman house slaves in an attempt to steal Caesar’s laurel’s for soup flavoring (to help Vitalstatistix save face from a stupid wager); a clever look at the household economy of your average well-to-do Roman citizen
Mathieu
Tout part d'un pari stupide, et abouti à une situation stupide : il faut subtiliser à César sa couronne de lauriers.

La tâche est malaisée, et nos héros utilisent des voies détournées pour parvenir à leurs fins. La scène de vente d'esclaves est géniale, mon préféré étant celui qui reproduit des scènes de la statuaire antique.
Natasha
While visiting his brother in law, the chief gets drunk and boasts that if his brother and sister in law came to his village he would serve them a stew seasoned with Julius Caesar's laurel wreath. Asterix and Obelix have to travel to Rome to try and get the wreath to save the Chief's honour.
Jacques le fataliste et son maître
Idea geniale, sviluppata in modo un po’ disordinato. In ogni caso, la permanenza di Asterix e Obelix in veste di schiavi nella casa di Claudius Chiunquefus è memorabile. Vivace e spassosa la presentazione dell’ambiente luteziano (urbano e domestico) in apertura della storia.
Karhum Ghassan
A clever comic set in trans Alpine Gaul during the Roman Era, with the barbarian Gaul’s as the heroes and the Roman Legionnaire’s as their bumbling opponents., ... Its Asterix ... need I say more ... I think its one of the best comics ever! ...more
Elynn
his series was originally written in French. My brother (who spent some time there) brought back the English translations when I was young and even though I didn't really understand all of the humor, I loved them.
Farina♥Moon♥Eclipse
I've read this series of Asterix (and Obelisk) in the 90's at my Grandmother and Grandfather's place. I loved this series back there. Asterix and his friend Obelisk shared so many great adventures together!
Curtiss
A clever comic set in trans Alpine Gaul during the Roman Era, with the barabarian Gauls as the heroes and the Roman Legionaires as their bumbling opponents.
Devero
Una delle storie migliori di Uderzo e Goscinny, piena di battute, colpi di scena, e una trama degna di tal nome.
Sharon
Great book, good to see in laws can be a pain in the arse no matter what the era
Jessica J.
I love Asterix. I think its one of the best comics ever! ...more
Chris
Zigxctly!

Watch out for drinking Gauls.
What's The Name o...: Image from Asterix...which album? [s] 7 118 Jul 14, 2014 08:53AM
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • Jesse James (Lucky Luke Adventure, vol. 4)
  • The Complete Guide To Asterix
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...

Asterix (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Asterix, #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)
Le petit Nicolas (Le petit Nicolas, #1) Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1) Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6) Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8) Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)