Start by marking “The Pleasures of the Imagination: English Culture in the Eighteenth Century” as Want to Read:
The Pleasures of the Imagination: English Culture in the Eighteenth Century

The Pleasures of the Imagination: English Culture in the Eighteenth Century

John Brewster's landmark book shows us how British artists, amateurs, entrepeneurs, and audiences created a culture that is still celebrated for its wit and brilliance.
Published September 30th 1997 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published May 22nd 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Pleasures of the Imagination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pleasures of the Imagination

Lauren
Apr 28, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
This is a difficult book to review, mostly because I don’t consider myself qualified to properly criticize the amount of work that went into this well-crafted, well-written brick (and it is a brick – it’s a read-at-a-table-because-it’s-too-heavy-to-comfortably-hold-for-long-stretches-of-time book). With over 660 pages of narrative, The Pleasures of the Imagination requires commitment (and a bit of insanity) to not only start but also finish. The good news is, it’s completely worth the reading ti ...more
Sherwood Smith
One of my long-term standby books for delving into English culture and literary history of the 1700s. I've slowly come to see that it lacks an even-handed treatment of women, but it still is worth reading.
Jenny Brown
Jan 02, 2012 Jenny Brown rated it really liked it
This book sets out to do something complex and not easily described, describing the way that the commonly shared idea of English culture emerged out of the expanded literacy and economic development of the 18th century, and for the most part does it well.

There are excellent rundowns of how modern book publishing emerged from the older, highly controlled guild version of the 1600s, and an excellent sections on the development of the stage and the musical profession (and amateur practice) in the
James
Aug 16, 2010 James rated it really liked it
This behemoth sat on my shelf for years, but turned out to be one of those nonfiction "let me tell you everything you need to know about this subject" tomes that picks up once you get into it. Brewer wants to hit every aspect of English material culture that he thinks matters (i.e. most of the pretty ones). Some great sections on minor figures of the 18th century.
Ccfarmer
Aug 16, 2015 Ccfarmer rated it really liked it
I admit that I got this book because I wanted to learn more on Jane Austin and that time period. I found the writing humorous and intelligent, which for me was a challenge. Oh dear, I haven't seen words like this since college. Took me a month to get through but I am glad I did. It was so much better than reading the Cat and the Hat for the umpteenth time.
Gramarye
Sep 11, 2008 Gramarye rated it it was amazing
Quite possibly the best cultural history book that I read in 2008 -- A masterful study of the intricate connections and networks that developed English culture in the long eighteenth century. Very informative and highly recommended.
Mike Thelwall
Apr 26, 2016 Mike Thelwall rated it it was amazing
Utterly brilliant and fascinating. A huge book, full of small details of many people's lives and how they fit into social changes in the 18th century. I feel that I understand the social organisation of entertainment today much better for this history of an important century in its development.
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2008
Heidi Brown Lynn
Heidi Brown Lynn rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2011
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2017
Simone
Simone rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2008
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Stefan
Stefan rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2016
David Bird
David Bird rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2012
Roxana Russo
Roxana Russo rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2014
Stephen Basdeo
Stephen Basdeo rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2015
Amy Clarke
Amy Clarke rated it really liked it
May 17, 2016
Katiekin
Katiekin rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2009
Angus Macdonald
Angus Macdonald rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2012
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Rico Abrahamsen
Rico Abrahamsen rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2011
Lana
Lana rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2016
Natalie Lin
Natalie Lin rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2007
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Christa
Christa rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Cesare Cremonesi
Cesare Cremonesi rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2013
Ross Gilfillan
Ross Gilfillan rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2014
Regina
Regina rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • English Society in the Eighteenth Century
  • The Age of the Cathedrals: Art and Society, 980-1420
  • Frozen Desire: The Meaning of Money
  • Daily Life in Ancient Rome: The People and the City at the Height of the Empire
  • The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, 1400-1580