Start by marking “Signs and Wonders” as Want to Read:
Signs and Wonders

Signs and Wonders

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Most children are told they can be doctors, lawyers — even astronauts. Not Annie Grace. Since childhood she’s been raised to be a miracle worker, capable of healing all that ails the followers of her father’s faith-healing crusade. Fame and riches flowed.

Now 20 years later and unable to remember any miracles, Annie goes through the motions of running her late father’s mini
Published July 31st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Signs and Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Signs and Wonders

Lori Henrich
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I started this story. I have had it for awhile and forgot what the premise of the book was so I bravely started reading. To my surprise it was pretty good.

Miss Annie has been apart of Grace ministries for as long as she can remember. Her father could fill an auditorium with thousands of people but what he was doing was mostly a scam. Annie did have a gift when she was a little girl, but it was only there for a short time. It went away as quickly as it seem
Trish
Odd little book, and I do mean little - it was actually a novella. Written well enough that I read the whole thing rather than putting it down, but not enough substance to recommend to someone else.
Bob
When a disillusioned bogus faith healer inherits her father's ministry and empire, things get confusing. She doesn't like or believe in what she's doing. Some of her staff turn against her. She's being indicted. And all of a sudden she's actually healing people. Interesting story line and fast moving and enjoyable to read. My problem with this book is the same problem i have with a lot of books today. There is no ending. No resolution. No tying up of loose ends. Instead, go buy the next book in ...more
Peggy Randall-Martin
The storyline is well thought out and embraces a subject that has not been done to death - with a huge plus - it is also well written. Be sure to set aside a slot of time when you start to read "Signs and Wonders," because it truly is a book you will want to continue reading until you turn the last page. And it is not to be confused in any way with a movie by the same name.

Each character has a unique perspective on Annie and the evangelistic following created and nurtured by her father. In the w
Stephanie Dagg
Signs and Wonders by Alex Adena is a fascinating book. Annie Grace is a fraudulent faith healer, although when she was a little girl, she once performed a miraculous healing. Her father, Daddy, exploited this and became a very rich man through healing roadshows.
Annie feels like a fraud. A ghost from the past rears its head - Annie faces prosecution for her part in a little girl’s death five years before. Two of her employees turn against her. A client secretly taperecords her making tactless re
LAWonder10
What an honest, wonderful book concerning how sometimes good intentions can begin right but end up very false and dishonest. It is also a very controversial novella.

Reverend Grace discovered special gifts in his very young daughter - gifts he could commercialize on. But before he was able to exploit them, they seemed to disappear. Nevertheless, he decided to build his ministry on this premise anyway. His daughter, Annie, trusted her daddy and submitted to his wishes. Her brother, Benjamin, refus
Emily
Let me first start by saying this is not the usual type of book I review. As I'm sure most of you know. I was a little sceptical and nervous as my sister previously stated we grew up in the south and seeing these Spiritual healers, Evangelist (Grandfather and no not all of my family supported this.), as well as the baptists that I have known too. I tend to veer from this sort of thing as they are not always portrayed in a very kind light. I in no way defend them I was just raised by my family to ...more
Lynnette Phillips
Alex Adena gently guides us through the story of Annie Grace, an evangelist working with her charlatan father since she was very young.

I found Annie’s story repellant at first; she had grown up the as the daughter of a con-artist and continued his ministry only because it was all she knew. As I kept reading though and her character developed she became a haunted guilt-ridden victim desperately trying to find a better way. Finally becoming rather beguiling once she has decided in which direction
Sara James
I read this in one sitting. It is a Christian novel that in my opinion non-Christians could read and also enjoy, as it deals with a faith healer who is believed to be fraudulent. The content of Annie Grace's faith is rather lacking, which as a Christian, I eventually came to be bothered by, but a non-Christian will appreciate the lack of preachiness and much specific dialogue with God (ie, praying.)

The story was entertaining and although I liked the ending it was a bit abrupt, I thought. Yes, I
Kitty Honeycutt
"SIGNS AND WONDERS" BY ALEX ADENA

I loved this story, after growing up in the South and part of a Southern Baptist family it was a refreshing change from all the bad press that a lot of 'spiritual healers' get. This story shows the positive route and Annie Grace learns a valuable lesson from it all. In the end the people that are out to get her learn their own lesson in humility and realize that judging is not always a good idea.

What I loved most about this book is that after all those years tha
Rhonda
It started out slow and I was wondering if i would even like this story but I did. I liked the ending but I wanted more.
Miss Annie travels to preach and faith heal. Annie has been part of her father's minastries since she was little. Her father died last year and she promised him she would stay. Annie was down sizing the engagements and her lawyer and accountant were not happy with her.
Annie drank scotch every night and she slept around .She was tired of fake healings she did. Her brother walked
Annette Mardis
By ANNETTE MARDIS
While this novella is free for Kindle, that's no measure of the worth of this creative effort.
Too often, freebies are throwaways that I end up deleting from my e-reader after perusing just the first few graphs.
But when I started reading "Signs and Wonders," I didn't want to stop and ended up finishing 70 percent of it in one sitting.
It's a relatively breezy read, and Adena's style is straightforward, but he says a lot with the words he uses.
While the book does take a jaded a
Ann237
I was very intrigued with the book subject, of " FAITH HEALERS" , It is not a story line you find very often unless it is written with all the fire and brimstone, that would be a big turn off for an average person, Christians and Non Christians alike. This book is great for all walks. The author did a great job taking us on a journey with Annie who is the daughter of a con artist that goes around promoting Annie as a healer. Annie, is in a struggle, not really sure what she should do, because th ...more
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
Annie Grace is a miracle worker growing up, healing the sick and injured. Twenty years later she can't perform any more miracle and just wants to find her memories. She has to run her father's ministry and try to find her faith again. Suddenly miracles are happening aroud her again and she has to find the meaning of these signs from Him.
Angela White
This was a great short read with a plot that resonated with me from start to finish. Perhaps it was my time spent in Pentecostal-Charismatic ministry, or the struggles I've had trying to reconcile what I truly believe about a god who permits those who make claims about god only as a means of furthering themselves, often financially.

I appreciated that this book never took a preachy tone, never tried to argue for or against faith healing and miracles, and never demanded that the reader even subscr
Karla
Excellent book~ I read this in one sitting as it was really short. I found myself wanting more, the story could have been expanded on but feel that the ending was good~ Great writing, good plot, characters were pretty well developed. This really is not a book for just Christians or believers. Anyone just may see that it's easy to become skeptical, and jaded in this world~ But really anything is possible if you just open your eyes and let yourself see things in a different light.

A beautiful stor
I downloaded this as a free Kindle book and gave it a try. The writing was decent and the main character was compelling. The tension was decent, although I think it was more on the scale of a novella than a novel. If some of the interesting secondary characters were flushed out more, this actually could have been a really great book. It's not limited to a single view point, but the author didn't do much with the secondary viewpoints.

I do think the theology in the book was a bit sketchy--as in, i
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book was a surprise. At first it appeared as though I could predict where the short tale was taking me, I was wrong.

I saw the story tagged as a 'Christian Fiction.' Well, I guess it was, however, that label is selling the tale short as it is a message for all faiths to read.

We have an evangelist, Annie Grace on tour in Texas. She grew up in the ministry while her Father was the Minister. Once when she was a child a miracle healing took place involving the young child.

There is a surprise end
Lauri
This was an easy read that had a poignant message. It was a faith-based book about someone who had nearly lost all of her faith in herself, yet she hadn't completely lost her faith in God. All the characters in the book were searching for something. Some were searching for redemption and others were searching for justice. Still others were searching for an easy payday or fifteen minutes of fame. It had a feel-good ending but made me wish the book was longer. I wasn't ready for the story to be ov ...more
Kelly
A good story (3 stars) - but it could've been developed more, which is why I ended up giving it 2 stars.
Fiona
Annie is the daughter of a "pastor" who runs Grace Ministries, after witnessing her healing powers as a young girl Billy decides this is an easy way to make money and puts her on stage to rake it in. Her power leaves her and a little girl whose parent bring her for healing dies. Years later Annie remains fulfilling her deceased father's wishes knowing what she is doing is wrong and when the district attorney decides to prosecute her for being a charlatan her power seems to return.
A short, simple
Brianandlynn
Ok, but the ending was entirely too abrubt.
Elizabeth
Annie Grace has been a faith healer since the age of 5, though hasn't healed anyone since she was 5. Now her world feels like a sham, that is until her attorney and accountant turn on her . Annie soon realizes that there just might be a little more to her ability than she thought. Nice book and had a hard time putting it down .Christian overtones are not in your face so this made for a very niec read. A great way to spend an afternoon in the sun!!
Lena
This book is different. The theme is faith healing and charlatans. It's not something I would read but the storyline was interesting and when I started reading, the story kept my attention. I couldn't put the book down and it was read quickly. My rating is only 3/5 because I'm a bit of a skeptic. I won't say anything to spoil the story but you must give this book a try. Have an open mind.
Terry Trahan
I thoroughly enjoyed Signs and Wonders! It truly makes you think about all of the charlatan healers on television and in the religious world. I loved how the author was able to keep Annie down to earth by portraying her as messed up and dysfunctional as a lot of us are! I can not wait to start reading Finding Grace, the continuation of Annie's story.
Carrie Daws
Overall, the story is well-written and enjoyable. It is a fairly quick read and I agree with others that it ends abruptly but appropriately. From a Biblical worldview, I have some of the same concerns as others in that the author wasn't clear on Annie's relationship to God which leaves it open to broad interpretation.
Cheryl
I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed watching Annie Grace deal with her "gift". It was also interesting to see how her brother and other people around her dealt with it. Funny, how Annie Grace had to believe in God, herself and her gift God gave her for it to work. It was an enjoyable read.
Christine
I had a hard time getting into this book! Overall, I ended up thinking it was okay. It was a free download so I wasn't out anything. I usually read a book very quickly and this one I had to keep coming back to in order to get through. The book got much better as it went along.
Karen
I like how the author developed the main character of this book. It read like a made for TV movie. I just wish it was a little bit more "believable". However, it did keep my attention and I read it in a couple of days.
Missy
I did like premise of the book, but the delivery was short. I am reading this as fiction. Not sure where this is heading, whether Annie finds God or not, but that would be nice. May or may not buy the next book.
Christian Goodrea...: Signs and Wonders, by Alex Adena 2 6 Jun 10, 2013 02:31PM
  • Edge of Grace
  • Contingency (Covenant of Trust #1)
  • The Thirteenth Gift
  • They Almost Always Come Home
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Every Bush Is Burning
  • The Mother Road
  • Reclaiming Lily
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Under the Scotch Broom
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • A Dignified Exit
  • The Island of Ted
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Olive Branches Don't Grow On Trees
  • Penumbra
  • Steppin' Into the Good Life
Finding Grace (Anne Grace Adventures #2)