Start by marking “Signs and Wonders” as Want to Read:
Signs and Wonders

Signs and Wonders

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  234 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Most children are told they can be doctors, lawyers — even astronauts. Not Annie Grace. Since childhood she’s been raised to be a miracle worker, capable of healing all that ails the followers of her father’s faith-healing crusade. Fame and riches flowed.

Now 20 years later and unable to remember any miracles, Annie goes through the motions of running her late father’s mini
Published July 31st 2011

To ask other readers questions about Signs and Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Signs and Wonders

Lori Henrich
Nov 08, 2012 Lori Henrich rated it liked it
I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I started this story. I have had it for awhile and forgot what the premise of the book was so I bravely started reading. To my surprise it was pretty good.

Miss Annie has been apart of Grace ministries for as long as she can remember. Her father could fill an auditorium with thousands of people but what he was doing was mostly a scam. Annie did have a gift when she was a little girl, but it was only there for a short time. It went away as quickly as it seem
Trish
Jun 21, 2012 Trish rated it it was ok
Odd little book, and I do mean little - it was actually a novella. Written well enough that I read the whole thing rather than putting it down, but not enough substance to recommend to someone else.
Bob
Apr 12, 2015 Bob rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, religion
When a disillusioned bogus faith healer inherits her father's ministry and empire, things get confusing. She doesn't like or believe in what she's doing. Some of her staff turn against her. She's being indicted. And all of a sudden she's actually healing people. Interesting story line and fast moving and enjoyable to read. My problem with this book is the same problem i have with a lot of books today. There is no ending. No resolution. No tying up of loose ends. Instead, go buy the next book in ...more
Peggy Randall-Martin
Oct 08, 2011 Peggy Randall-Martin rated it really liked it
The storyline is well thought out and embraces a subject that has not been done to death - with a huge plus - it is also well written. Be sure to set aside a slot of time when you start to read "Signs and Wonders," because it truly is a book you will want to continue reading until you turn the last page. And it is not to be confused in any way with a movie by the same name.

Each character has a unique perspective on Annie and the evangelistic following created and nurtured by her father. In the w
Stephanie Dagg
Sep 19, 2011 Stephanie Dagg rated it it was amazing
Signs and Wonders by Alex Adena is a fascinating book. Annie Grace is a fraudulent faith healer, although when she was a little girl, she once performed a miraculous healing. Her father, Daddy, exploited this and became a very rich man through healing roadshows.
Annie feels like a fraud. A ghost from the past rears its head - Annie faces prosecution for her part in a little girl’s death five years before. Two of her employees turn against her. A client secretly taperecords her making tactless re
LAWonder10
Aug 22, 2013 LAWonder10 rated it really liked it
What an honest, wonderful book concerning how sometimes good intentions can begin right but end up very false and dishonest. It is also a very controversial novella.

Reverend Grace discovered special gifts in his very young daughter - gifts he could commercialize on. But before he was able to exploit them, they seemed to disappear. Nevertheless, he decided to build his ministry on this premise anyway. His daughter, Annie, trusted her daddy and submitted to his wishes. Her brother, Benjamin, refus
Emily
Sep 30, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Let me first start by saying this is not the usual type of book I review. As I'm sure most of you know. I was a little sceptical and nervous as my sister previously stated we grew up in the south and seeing these Spiritual healers, Evangelist (Grandfather and no not all of my family supported this.), as well as the baptists that I have known too. I tend to veer from this sort of thing as they are not always portrayed in a very kind light. I in no way defend them I was just raised by my family to ...more
Lynnette Phillips
Aug 01, 2011 Lynnette Phillips rated it really liked it
Alex Adena gently guides us through the story of Annie Grace, an evangelist working with her charlatan father since she was very young.

I found Annie’s story repellant at first; she had grown up the as the daughter of a con-artist and continued his ministry only because it was all she knew. As I kept reading though and her character developed she became a haunted guilt-ridden victim desperately trying to find a better way. Finally becoming rather beguiling once she has decided in which direction
Sara James
Jan 06, 2012 Sara James rated it really liked it
I read this in one sitting. It is a Christian novel that in my opinion non-Christians could read and also enjoy, as it deals with a faith healer who is believed to be fraudulent. The content of Annie Grace's faith is rather lacking, which as a Christian, I eventually came to be bothered by, but a non-Christian will appreciate the lack of preachiness and much specific dialogue with God (ie, praying.)

The story was entertaining and although I liked the ending it was a bit abrupt, I thought. Yes, I
Kitty Honeycutt
Aug 16, 2011 Kitty Honeycutt rated it it was amazing
"SIGNS AND WONDERS" BY ALEX ADENA

I loved this story, after growing up in the South and part of a Southern Baptist family it was a refreshing change from all the bad press that a lot of 'spiritual healers' get. This story shows the positive route and Annie Grace learns a valuable lesson from it all. In the end the people that are out to get her learn their own lesson in humility and realize that judging is not always a good idea.

What I loved most about this book is that after all those years tha
Rhonda
Aug 26, 2011 Rhonda rated it really liked it
It started out slow and I was wondering if i would even like this story but I did. I liked the ending but I wanted more.
Miss Annie travels to preach and faith heal. Annie has been part of her father's minastries since she was little. Her father died last year and she promised him she would stay. Annie was down sizing the engagements and her lawyer and accountant were not happy with her.
Annie drank scotch every night and she slept around .She was tired of fake healings she did. Her brother walked
Annette Mardis
Jul 25, 2013 Annette Mardis rated it really liked it
By ANNETTE MARDIS
While this novella is free for Kindle, that's no measure of the worth of this creative effort.
Too often, freebies are throwaways that I end up deleting from my e-reader after perusing just the first few graphs.
But when I started reading "Signs and Wonders," I didn't want to stop and ended up finishing 70 percent of it in one sitting.
It's a relatively breezy read, and Adena's style is straightforward, but he says a lot with the words he uses.
While the book does take a jaded a
Ann237
Apr 09, 2013 Ann237 rated it really liked it
I was very intrigued with the book subject, of " FAITH HEALERS" , It is not a story line you find very often unless it is written with all the fire and brimstone, that would be a big turn off for an average person, Christians and Non Christians alike. This book is great for all walks. The author did a great job taking us on a journey with Annie who is the daughter of a con artist that goes around promoting Annie as a healer. Annie, is in a struggle, not really sure what she should do, because th ...more
Tiffany Tinkham-Graves
Sep 27, 2014 Tiffany Tinkham-Graves rated it really liked it
Annie Grace is a miracle worker growing up, healing the sick and injured. Twenty years later she can't perform any more miracle and just wants to find her memories. She has to run her father's ministry and try to find her faith again. Suddenly miracles are happening aroud her again and she has to find the meaning of these signs from Him.
Angela White
Dec 06, 2011 Angela White rated it really liked it
This was a great short read with a plot that resonated with me from start to finish. Perhaps it was my time spent in Pentecostal-Charismatic ministry, or the struggles I've had trying to reconcile what I truly believe about a god who permits those who make claims about god only as a means of furthering themselves, often financially.

I appreciated that this book never took a preachy tone, never tried to argue for or against faith healing and miracles, and never demanded that the reader even subscr
Karla
Sep 16, 2012 Karla rated it it was amazing
Excellent book~ I read this in one sitting as it was really short. I found myself wanting more, the story could have been expanded on but feel that the ending was good~ Great writing, good plot, characters were pretty well developed. This really is not a book for just Christians or believers. Anyone just may see that it's easy to become skeptical, and jaded in this world~ But really anything is possible if you just open your eyes and let yourself see things in a different light.

A beautiful stor
Sep 18, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
I downloaded this as a free Kindle book and gave it a try. The writing was decent and the main character was compelling. The tension was decent, although I think it was more on the scale of a novella than a novel. If some of the interesting secondary characters were flushed out more, this actually could have been a really great book. It's not limited to a single view point, but the author didn't do much with the secondary viewpoints.

I do think the theology in the book was a bit sketchy--as in, i
Norman Hummel
Jun 12, 2016 Norman Hummel rated it it was amazing
Interesting book

Great book that begins by causing the reader to wonder where it's going. Further in I saw it develop and become a work of faith and redemption. God works in mysterious ways to reach us. Well done.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Feb 16, 2012 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it really liked it
This book was a surprise. At first it appeared as though I could predict where the short tale was taking me, I was wrong.

I saw the story tagged as a 'Christian Fiction.' Well, I guess it was, however, that label is selling the tale short as it is a message for all faiths to read.

We have an evangelist, Annie Grace on tour in Texas. She grew up in the ministry while her Father was the Minister. Once when she was a child a miracle healing took place involving the young child.

There is a surprise end
Keisha Simpson-Baker
Jul 08, 2016 Keisha Simpson-Baker rated it really liked it
What happens next

It was a great story, but there was no real ending so I couldn't give it 5 stars. If there's a part 2 I'd like to see what happens
Lauri
Jun 28, 2013 Lauri rated it it was amazing
This was an easy read that had a poignant message. It was a faith-based book about someone who had nearly lost all of her faith in herself, yet she hadn't completely lost her faith in God. All the characters in the book were searching for something. Some were searching for redemption and others were searching for justice. Still others were searching for an easy payday or fifteen minutes of fame. It had a feel-good ending but made me wish the book was longer. I wasn't ready for the story to be ov ...more
Kelly
Feb 09, 2015 Kelly rated it it was ok
A good story (3 stars) - but it could've been developed more, which is why I ended up giving it 2 stars.
Rachel
Nov 20, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok
This was my second time reading this book, and it was still troubling on a spiritual level.
Fiona
Oct 03, 2013 Fiona rated it liked it
Annie is the daughter of a "pastor" who runs Grace Ministries, after witnessing her healing powers as a young girl Billy decides this is an easy way to make money and puts her on stage to rake it in. Her power leaves her and a little girl whose parent bring her for healing dies. Years later Annie remains fulfilling her deceased father's wishes knowing what she is doing is wrong and when the district attorney decides to prosecute her for being a charlatan her power seems to return.
A short, simple
Donna
May 24, 2015 Donna rated it did not like it
Didn't finish. Didn't care for story line.
Brianandlynn
May 07, 2015 Brianandlynn rated it liked it
Ok, but the ending was entirely too abrubt.
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Annie Grace has been a faith healer since the age of 5, though hasn't healed anyone since she was 5. Now her world feels like a sham, that is until her attorney and accountant turn on her . Annie soon realizes that there just might be a little more to her ability than she thought. Nice book and had a hard time putting it down .Christian overtones are not in your face so this made for a very niec read. A great way to spend an afternoon in the sun!!
Lena
Sep 09, 2013 Lena rated it liked it
Shelves: all, to-be-sorted
This book is different. The theme is faith healing and charlatans. It's not something I would read but the storyline was interesting and when I started reading, the story kept my attention. I couldn't put the book down and it was read quickly. My rating is only 3/5 because I'm a bit of a skeptic. I won't say anything to spoil the story but you must give this book a try. Have an open mind.
Terry Trahan
May 12, 2013 Terry Trahan rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed Signs and Wonders! It truly makes you think about all of the charlatan healers on television and in the religious world. I loved how the author was able to keep Annie down to earth by portraying her as messed up and dysfunctional as a lot of us are! I can not wait to start reading Finding Grace, the continuation of Annie's story.
Carrie Daws
Feb 13, 2012 Carrie Daws rated it really liked it
Overall, the story is well-written and enjoyable. It is a fairly quick read and I agree with others that it ends abruptly but appropriately. From a Biblical worldview, I have some of the same concerns as others in that the author wasn't clear on Annie's relationship to God which leaves it open to broad interpretation.
Christian Goodrea...: Signs and Wonders, by Alex Adena 2 6 Jun 10, 2013 02:31PM
  • The Edge of Grace
  • Reinventing Leona
  • Contingency (Covenant of Trust #1)
  • Johnny Cornflakes: A Story about Loving the Unloved
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • Under the Scotch Broom
  • Commune of Women
  • They Almost Always Come Home
  • Reclaiming Lily
  • The Mother Road
  • Every Bush Is Burning
  • Sweet Baklava
  • Living With Fred (The Fred Books, #2)
  • Runaway Choices
  • Everybody's Daughter
  • Griselda Takes Flight (Bright's Pond #3)
  • Spirit Falls