Start by marking “Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)” as Want to Read:
Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)

Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix #6)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  6,204 ratings  ·  127 reviews
How can lovely Queen Cleopatra show Julius Caesar that ancient Egypt is still a great nation? Her architect Edifis recruits his Gaulish friends to help him build a magnificent palace within three months. There are villainous saboteurs to be outwitted, but Asterix, Obelix and Getafix still find time to go sight-seeing - and leave their mark on the pyramids and the Sphinx's ...more
Published April 29th 2004 by Asterix (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Asterix and Cleopatra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Asterix and Cleopatra

Red Rackham's Treasure by HergéThe Incal by Alejandro JodorowskyThe Nikopol Trilogy by Enki BilalTintin in Tibet by HergéAsterix in Britain by René Goscinny
Best European Graphic Novels/Comics
10th out of 456 books — 149 voters
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Red Tent by Anita DiamantThe Secret Magdalene by Ki LongfellowFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowNefertiti by Michelle Moran
Awesome Women of the Ancient World
57th out of 219 books — 550 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
It's amazing what a pretty nose will get you.

Old ReviewGo read Asterix, any of them. Honestly. Even if you're an adult. I read them first when I was around 8-10, and I return to them periodically. There is one level of humor for adults, another for children. Adults will crack up over every name. Honestly, what isn't funny about a druid named Getafix?

This edition to the series is great. Though there is no pun on Cleopatra's name, there are pretty of comments about her nose. A nice and amusing us
Damian Dubois

Ah yes, a lovely nose indeed. As cartoony as this Cleopatra happens to be she sort of reminds me of a girl I once had a crush on back when I was around the age of 19 or 20. Similar features, Italian rather than Egyptian, a lovely lass indeed. A mad thought crossed my mind, send the girl a big bunch of flowers, yeah, she might like that. Yeah, that didn't go so well... lovely nose though.

It's been a long time indeed since I read an Asterix comic, possibly as far back as me being a wee lad under t
Helmut
Architektur interkulturell
Na, da soll mal einer sagen, Asterix und Obelix seien nicht aktuell. In einer Szene diskutieren sie darüber, wie sich so ein ägyptischer Obelisk mitten im gallischen Dorf machen würde, parallel erscheint passend dieser Artikel bei Spiegel-Online. So pompöse Architektur muss man aber mögen, zumindest Abraracourcix, der Häuptling des Dorfs, ist da wie ich eher konservativ-gallisch veranlagt.

Neben diesen Anspielungen auf die französische Geschichte finden sich auch erneut
Willem van den Oever
Outraged by the comments of Julius Ceasar that the Egyptians are a spend civilization, queen Cleopatra assures the Roman leader she’ll build him a glorious palace in just three months to prove her empire hasn’t lost its glory. Struggling architect Edifis is assigned to complete the task and – shocked by the workload and the slim amount of time he has for it – he quickly travels to the Gaul village of Asterix, Obelix and Getafix, begging the trio to assist him with his work. With the help of Geta ...more
Coenraad
ASTERIX EN CLEOPATRA tel sekerlik as een van die heel beste Asterix-verhale. Die reis na Egipte, die spanning oor die oprig van die paleis en die vindingrykheid van die Galliërs skep 'n klassieke avontuur. Dit skep ook die kans vir vele grappies en woordspelings. Soos in die vorige vertalings van Sonya van Schalkwyk-Barrois is die Afrikaans vol wonderlike vindings. Let op na die een strokiesprent in die koerant wat die argitek Akkedis lees: Adonis-hulle. Lekker! Maar op een belangrike punt, een ...more
Amalie
The series of Asterix is absolutely hilarious, and there's nothing like it! The main setting for the series is an unnamed coastal village in Armorica, a province of Gaul (modern France), in the year 50 BC. Julius Caesar has conquered nearly all of Gaul for the Roman Empire. The little Armorican village, however, has held out because the villagers can gain temporary superhuman strength by drinking a magic potion brewed by the local village druid, Getafix.

The main protagonist and hero of the villa
Vanja Antonijevic
This is often considered the best in the series, and it is an excellent addition to the series.

The plot, according to Wiki:

"The book starts with an argument between Cleopatra of Egypt and Julius Caesar, in which Caesar belittles the accomplishments of the Egyptian people. Infuriated, Cleopatra makes a wager with Caesar promising to build a new palace in Alexandria within three months. Cleopatra summons Edifis, the best architect in Egypt - though the actual merit in this distinction is question
Krishna Kumar
Getafix’s prominence varies from one Asterix book to another. In “Asterix the Gaul”, Getafix and Asterix are the only two Gauls with much ink spent on them. But in the second Asterix story, “Asterix and the Golden Sickle”, Getafix exists only as the impetus for the story and Obelix comes to the forefront. A little more Getafix in the 3rd story where he is kidnapped and then more or less ignored in the next two stories. But in “Asterix and Cleopatra”, he once again is one of the major characters ...more
Joseph R.
Julius Caesar, while hanging out with Cleopatra, makes fun of Egypt's has-been status as a great empire. Sure, they built the pyramids, but that was thousands of years ago...what have they done lately? Cleopatra defiantly claims they can build a palace to Caesar in Alexandria in three months. Caesar will acknowledge Egpyt's greatness if she can pull it off. She summons the best architect of Alexandria, Edifis, for the job. He knows he'll need magical powers to pull it off, but he knows this drui ...more
Matthew Hunter
A clash of two of history's greatest civilizations - Egypt and Rome - comes down to a bet about speed of construction. Getafix's potion is just the thing to get the Egyptian workers humming. I love that Goscinny created this one soon after Liz Taylor's glamorous version of Cleopatra hit the silver screen. Even the comic's cover is a take on the movie poster. And for pun lovers like me, there's an architect named Edifis.

Smart, hilarious, relevant. The Asterix stories are amazing. Let's keep read
Mazel
Jules César nargue Cléopâtre : les Romains construisent des temples et des forums magnifiques alors que les Égyptiens ne construisent plus rien depuis les pyramides.

Vexée, Cléopâtre charge son architecte Numérobis de bâtir un palais pour César en trois mois.

Pour Numérobis, sa seule chance de venir au bout de cette tâche malgré l'obstruction des Romains est de demander l'aide de son vieil ami Panoramix.

Le druide part donc pour l'Égypte lui prêter main-forte, accompagné d'Astérix et Obélix.

Cet
David Sarkies
Asterix comes to save Egytian nationalism
22 July 2012
This album was somewhat more entertaining that the last one that I read though I am not really sure why. While Ceaser has always been portrayed as the villain in the Asterix albums, we begin to see more of his scheming and manipulative nature in this one. Cleopatra and Ceaser are having an argument as to whether Egypt is in decline or not, and Cleopatra decides to make a bet with him to build a palace for Ceaser in three months, however the o
Maninee
far far away from the village of gaul; in the heart of the land of the pharaohs the pretty cleopatra, exquisite nose and all, is engaged in a furious battle of words with none other than julius caesar, the very head of the roman empire. dear old julius has said that the egyptians are not what they used to be... the days of the great pharaohs are over. and had it not been for her graciousness' sporting spirit, i'm afraid his day would be over too. the queen on hearing caesar's comment challenged ...more
Vix
I have read this particular Asterix book many times since childhood (my one is an older print and not the Orion re-print) and it remains one of my favourites.
Not only are Albert Uderzo's illustrations the key to my love of Asterix books, but full credit must go to the English translating team of Anthea Bell and Derek Hockridge for making me love all the Asterix series of books so much.
The mad puns, the cheeky references that only English readers would find funny, and the way they perfectly match
Keko Chezumar
Versi Indonesia dari komik ini saya baca semasa SD dulu, pinjaman dari seorang teman.

Saat itu yang menarik bagi saya adalah bagian tentang asal usul Sphinx tak berhidung, ... "Dasar Obelix!"

Setelah itu komik ini masih terus enak dibaca berulang kali, terutama karena cerita Panoramix yang tergila-gila dengan hidung Cleopatra, Obelix yang merusak patung kebanggaan Mesir, serta Asterix yang dengan kecerdikannya bisa mematahkan tipu daya yang akan merusak pekerjaan arsitek istana.

Kemudian di sekitar
Hazey
Asterix and Cleopatra

Asterix is absolutely hilarious, and there's nothing like it in print… where else can you get yourself a magic potion brewed by the local village druid, Getafix.

There are villainous saboteurs to be outwitted, but Asterix, Obelix and Getafix still find time to go sight-seeing - and leave their mark on the Pyramids and the Sphinx's nose.

Dogmatix plays an important part starting with Asterix and Cleopatra, infallible sixth sense allows him to save our heroes from certain death
Tim Roast
This is the sixth Asterix adventure and possibly one of the best. Cleopatra makes a bet with Caesar to prove that Egypt is a great nation. “In three months’ time I’ll have a magnificent palace built for you in Alexandria!”

Cleopatra gets local architect Edifis to build it but three months is not enough time, although he has an idea. He can use the magic powers of his friend the druid Getafix.

So Asterix, Obelix and Getafix, or as Caesar describes them, “an old druid with a white beard, a cunning
Daniele
E' la prima storia di Asterix che leggo, avevo solo qualche riminiscenza del cartone di quando ero bambino. Sinceramente non me lo aspettavo, ma mi è piaciuto tanto! A tratti è stato molto divertente... E gli speciali del volume sono interessanti, ti fanno notare diverse sottigliezze che possono sfuggire ad una prima lettura! Consigliato!
Fractalhead
Salah satu kisah Asterix favoritku. Panoramix, Asterix dan Obelix kali ini pergi ke Mesir untuk membantu pembangunan istana untuk Ratu Cleopatra. Yang istimewa dari "Asterix and Cleopatra" adalah ilustrasi Uderzo yang memikat. Bisa dibilang dia salah satu inspiratorku dalam menggambar komik. Cerita yang digarap Goscinny tidak usah diragukan lagi, luar biasa seperti biasanya, mari kita kali ini menyorot gambar Uderzo. Di buku komik ini ilustrasi bangunan Mesir begitu epik, dengan warna-warna yang ...more
Dee
Sep 09, 2014 Dee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids interested in history
I was obsessed with ancient Egypt as a young kid, so I took this book out over and over from the library. It's a comedic, light-hearted approach to the time period, fairly age-appropriate.
Saint No Stopping Us

Five out of ten. CBR format.

Cleopatra promises Caesar that she can build the Romans a paace within three months. She'll need Asterix and Obelix's help if she is to keep that promise.

Yota Tziouvara
Αυτό είναι το αγαπημένο μου, λατρεύω και τη ταινία τη παιδική με τα κινούμενα σχέδια και μάλιστα μεταγλωτισμένο
Denim Datta
very funny story. read this in school days first, in bengali. and discovered now that it doesn't loose a bit now.
Nomad nimrod
this series is fun to pick up whenever i want something light and funny.
Mohammed Mortada
The famous nose which If it was a little bit smaller many things would had changed
Genevieve Austin
If you love historic fiction, this book is for you.
Sneha
Cleopatra steals the show with her pretty pretty nose!
Gavin
I must have first read this about the time of the publication indicated on this edition, that being 1979. I recently read it to my son Sean and he enjoyed it enormously. There's scheming Romans and Egyptians, a queen with a pretty nose and a foul temper, incompetent architects and, of course, Asterix and Obelix with their assorted oddball village companions.

Great books for young readers and superbly illustrated. The series is still going as well, I think. This was dug out from my old collection
itchy
Dec 30, 2014 itchy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: soft
so that's how the sphinx lost its nose
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • Land of Black Gold (Tintin, #15)
  • Jesse James (Lucky Luke Adventure, vol. 4)
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...

Asterix (1 - 10 of 35 books)
  • Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Asterix, #5)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)
  • Asterix and the Chieftain's Shield (Asterix, #11)
Le petit Nicolas (Le petit Nicolas, #1) Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1) Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8) Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3) Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)