Asterix and Caesar's Gift (Asterix, #21)

Asterix and Caesar's Gift (Asterix #21)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  3,670 ratings  ·  29 reviews
When Caesar offers a gift, be suspicious...very suspicious. Upon his release from the Roman Army, Tremensdelirius gets the deed to Asterix's little Gaulish village. But he swaps it for a drink in the tavern--and soon the owner and his family are off to claim their prize. What's going to happen? Surprisingly, Asterix has a different view of the situation than his friends.
Published April 1st 2005 by Orion (first published 1974)

Strega Nona by Tomie dePaolaBreakaway by Bryan  MurphyThe Thief Lord by Cornelia FunkeLinehan's Trip by Bryan  MurphyMurder By Suicide by Bryan  Murphy
Italy Italy
18th out of 167 books — 39 voters
D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths by Ingri d'AulaireBlack Ships Before Troy by Rosemary SutcliffGreek Myths for Young Children by Heather AmeryThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanFavorite Greek Myths by Mary Pope Osborne
Books for young people about Ancient Greece and Rome
158th out of 161 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Mazel
À Rome, le légionnaire Roméomontaigus, un ivrogne, fête sa libération de l’armée après vingt ans de carrière.

Comme il a insulté Jules César, celui-ci le punit en lui offrant comme cadeau le fameux village des irréductibles Gaulois.

Irrécupérable, il échange ce cadeau contre quelques coupes de vin avec Orthopédix le restaurateur gaulois.

Celui-ci et sa famille vont prendre possession de leur biens...

Noms des personnages :

Le nom du légionnaire Roméomontaigus est une référence à Roméo Montaigu, c...more
Vanja Antonijevic
Another excellent addition, at #21.

The Wiki story synopsis:

"....Having completed twenty years of service, the two friends await their honesta missio (Latin:honorary discharge) for the morning. Their services will be paid in land shares, awarded by Julius Caesar himself. Egganlettus seems quite sober but Tremensdelirious is already in a stage of drunkenness. He begins to express his opinion on Julius Caesar just as the night patrol enters the establishment. The veteran legionary spends the rest...more
Linda Hall
AWESOME!!! There is nothing that comes close to Asterix - I have the whole series, both on e-books and hard-copy and they are some of most treasured possessions. I grew up with them and they are simply the best!
Saint No Stopping Us

Six out of ten. CBR format.

When Caesar offers a loyal centurion the deed to Asterix's village as reward upon leaving the army, he doesn't realise quite what he is getting into.

Martin Afzelius
No. Didn't think this is one of the best albums. I felt uncomfortable while I read it. Can't say why.
Lian Dewatmoko
I really like asterix, especially obelix (he is not fat, what a confident he has).

This book tells us to fight whatever we had. Don't give up easily. But, most of all, friendship is number one.

The story began with a caesar's gift. The Caesar gave the Gaul's village to the legioner that later he change the gift with drink. the new owner came to the village to take his right, but of couse, the gauls laught at the gift, because their village is not part of caesar's region. Here's the fight of right...more
Bruce
Asterix Caesar's Gift – big spoof of the political “silly season” as several candidates campaign to be the village’s next chief, sparked originally by Caesar’s mischievious deed of the village land to a no-account legionary (see also Asterix and the Great Divide)
Amalie

Funny facts:

Cacofonix composes 'We shall overcome' for the election.
Election bribery.
Obelix and Influenza's date doesn't go according to the plan.
The sword-fight of Asterix with a Roman Officer in Zorro's way.
Geriatrix is Xenophobic.
The manner of manner of electioneering is similar to the modern American presidential elections.
Unhygienix's fish stock are put to question, finally! His last fish delivery is the previous summer!

Not one of the best but good and funny.
Yves
Nov 11, 2011 Yves rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: bd
On a encore droit à un Astérix dans la moyenne. Au moins, cette fois-ci, il n'est pas question d'enlèvement ou d'otage. C'est surtout une histoire qui se passe à l'intérieur du village. Un romain reçoit comme cadeau de César le village d'Astérix. Pour de l'alcool, ce romain donne le village à un gaulois qui décide l'aller y vivre. Lorsque celui-ci veut devenir chef, la pagaille commence à s’installer.

Une BD correcte.
Mathieu
encore une perfide manoeuvre de César pour vaincre nos irréductibles gaulois.

Evidemment, un malheureux hasard va faire capoter le projet, tout en plongeant tout de même le village dans la confusion.

Un album qui joue beaucoup sur le rejet de l'étranger dans nos chers villages de France...
Kerlip Bintang
buku ini sebenernya lebih mahal daripada Smurf. Tapi kok cetakannya gak banget ya? kayak hasil foto copyan.
Sayang... Aku pikir buku cacat, tapi pas di liat semua hasil cetakannya kayak gitu semua.
Jadi kasih bintang 2 aja ah.. biarin aja dibilang gak objektif juga.
Oliver
Caesar "Gift" is to jokingly give away the land rights to the Gaulish village (despite it not actually being conquered yet). Chaos ensues as new arrivals to the village create tensions amongst the Gauls. Excellent siege equipment in this one.
bahareh ebnealian
kolan in seri ketab haye astrix fogholadan, nevisandash naabeghas, ghazal hey be man mige to ham vaghti bache boodi oftadi too dige ma'joon ke enghad zooret ziad shode !
khoondanesh mesle ye tatilaate bi daghdaghe mimoone.
Elynn
his series was originally written in French. My brother (who spent some time there) brought back the English translations when I was young and even though I didn't really understand all of the humor, I loved them.
♥Moon ♥Love ♥Stars ♥Imagination
I've read this series of Asterix (and Obelisk) in the 90's at my Grandmother and Grandfather's place. I loved this series back there. Asterix and his friend Obelisk shared so many great adventures together!
Friska
Sep 21, 2007 Friska rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: comic
Buku ini sangat menghibur. Bayangkan ketika desa Asterix dan Obelix dijual kepada seorang penjual minuman yang memiliki istri yang cerewet.
Chris
I think I will get a copy of this and send it to Congress.

That pretty much tells you everything, doesn't it?
Amber Skantz
Ok so this one is my current favorite. The word jokes are just fabulous. Tremensdelirious!!
Donna
One of the Asterix books that's not in standard comic format - still good though!
9 3/4
Feb 10, 2013 9 3/4 rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
A great comic series - a classic in Europe but unfortunately not so well known in the US.
Jessica J.
I love Asterix. I think it´s one of the best comics ever!
Jacques le fataliste et son maître
Storia gradevole, buona parodia del mondo della politica.
Derek Baldwin
Doesn't stick in my mind but a perfectly enjoyable read.
Bubba
The Romans actually attack Armorica in this one.
Sharon
Loved this, great story
Simbahenom
Demokrasi ala jaman 50 SM :)
Asawari
Laughing Riot !!!
Lusitarius
Amusing!
  • Asterix and the Black Gold (Asterix, #26)
  • The Red Sea Sharks (Tintin, #19)
  • Dalton City (Lucky Luke Adventure, vol. 3)
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix
More about René Goscinny...
Le petit Nicolas Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1) Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6) Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8) Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)