Start by marking “The Lady Gambles (Copeland Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lady Gambles (Copeland Sisters, #1)

The Lady Gambles (The Copeland Sisters #1)

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Her heart pounding beneath the bright lights of London's most fashionable gambling club, Lady Caroline Copeland nervously steps out from behind the curtain....Eyes scanning the crowd, she's drawn to a devilish-looking gentleman glowering at her from the back of the room. The intensity of his gaze burns through her disguise, making her throat dry, her cheeks pink. Caro's ga ...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Harlequin (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady Gambles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady Gambles

The Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
Historical Romance Novels 2012
82nd out of 199 books — 118 voters
The Rake of Hollowhurst Castle by Elizabeth BeaconThe Captain's Forbidden Miss by Margaret McPheeThe Lady Gambles by Carole MortimerThe Accidental Prince by Michelle WillinghamA Regency Christmas Carol by Christine Merrill
Harlequin Historical
3rd out of 66 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

E. R.
I've read previous books from the author before, so when I saw this book, I skimmed through it first to see if it would grab my attention.

Thank goodness that I did.

The premise of the trilogy is three sisters reacting, in their own ways, to the marriage proposal of their new guardian. The second daughter, Lady Caroline Copeland, decided that she needed to temporarily find a job in London. At her new job as the singer of a gambling club (under disguise, of course) she finally meets her employer, L
Dragana
Accidentally I first read The Lady Forfeits, second book in The Copeland Sisters series. I liked it very much, so I back-tracked to read the first book The Lady Gambles. But this book has much worse characterization, everyone are romance-novel-not-exist-in-real-life types that I was at times so much annoyed with this book and wanted to quit..

Caro Morton aka Lady Caroline Copeland is in my opinion a spoiled little brat. She has a problem at home so she runs away until her big sister solves it.
She
Susan
Very good book. Caro came to London to escape from a guardian that wants to marry one of the three sisters and doesn't care which one he gets. Caro has been sheltered on the estate, and has no idea what trouble she can get into. She got lucky and was hired at this club, where the manager and bouncer look after her. When the new owner returns from abroad, he is not happy to see her there. Dominic wanted no women at the club, as he feels they just cause trouble. Dominic also finds that Caro is not ...more
Doreen
Do you ever come across a heroine you'd like to slap? Caro is one of them. She's so "feisty" and "spirited" that she totally ignores any instructions to stay somewhere or not talk to someone, even when common sense would dictate she should do so. Admittedly this gives the hero chances to rescue her, but really! And she doesnt seem to learn from her mistakes. Surely her character should develop during the course of the book, and this is one area she should definitely improve.
Liz
Not impressed. Elementary students could write better. This book isn't worth the review
HarlequinRomanceReviews
Caro Morton has no intentions of marrying. She doesn't want to leave her family, but she has no choice when the marriage date starts creeping closer and she is forced to flee from her home and two sisters without so much a glance back.

She arrives in London's most fashionable gambling club, disguised under a mask and wig, and sings to earn her money. But what she doesn't know is that she is working for Dominic, a hurting, handsome, and mysterious man.

I've read the whole trilogy and am coming back
Lyndsay
I stumbled upon this author when looking for something completely different and am glad I did.
The first in the series, and I can't wait to get my hands on the second.

This is the story of Caroline (Caro). She is the second sister. She runs off and when she cannot get a job as a ladies companion or shop assistant b/c her lack of references she becomes a singer at a gambling hall. Disguising herself with a mask and wig. It works b/c her father never let his daughters have a season in London.

Dominic
Sharyn
Interesting plot, but very unbelievable. I know, suspend disbelief and just go with the story, but I thought the heroine was an idiot, and the hero, well took him a lot of time to find the villian. But it is a trilogy, so I will seek out the next 2 books, to see what happens to the other 2 sisters, (though it is not hard to tell who they will marry.
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
Dalla trama mi ero immaginata una storia completamente diversa, la parentesi musicale nel locale dura poche pagine dopodiché Caro, attirata l'attenzione del cattivo di turno, passa il resto del libro sballottata tra le varie case di Dominic (chiaramente quindi l'ambientazione londinese non è minimamente sfruttata)che la prende sotto la sua protezione. Lui non sa che lei è la protetta del suo amico e lei non sa che il suo tutore è uno dei migliori amici del bel conte a cui lei si è donata corpo e ...more
Alyssa White
This book was quite interesting. Oddly enough I really enjoyed the last chapter! Not because it ended the book, but because it made me smile and laugh. I fell in love with one of the characters - I would totally date him if he was real, but something tells me he will be getting married in one of the other books to one of the other sisters. I cannot read further into the other books to find out what happens with the other sisters. Caro, annoyed me a bit in spelling because I kept thinking of Char ...more
Kelly
start of a good series ; read through Overdrive e-book
Michele ~ Devilishly Delicious Book Reviews
I enjoyed this book! Carole Mortimer does a great job helping you get really into the story and feel the emotions that the characters feel. I was a little disappointed with the last 30 pages though. It seems that she rushed to finish the book and left out some things. I would have like to read about Gabriel's reaction to Dominic planning to marry one of the women he was looking into marrying. Still a great book. Just wish there was a little more detail towards the end.
Angt27
Got halfway through this book before I realised what a complete and utter cow the heroine was. She just argues and argues and argues and won't ever shut up. When Dom says he doesn't want to talk about his parents dying she agrees not to, but the next four pages consist of her nagging him to know all the details of their deaths. Totally insensitive and unloveable. Didn't finish it.
Gail
Heroine runs away from home to keep from having to marry the new earl of something, after father's death, who was last earl. The guardian offered to marry whichever sister (there are three) is willing to have him, but none of them want him. Heroine is singing at a gambling den. Hero is the new owner of said den, and disapproves. Romance commences. It's a good story.
Joanne
Lady Caroline Copeland runs away from home when he is told that her guardian has requested to marry one of the three sisters. She ends up in London and gets job as a singer in a gentlemen's club under the name of Caro Morton. She meets her employer Lord Dominic Vaughn and must fight to keep her secret.
Carrie Olguin
Character cliche altert!!

He's an arrogant brute who acts like a caveman.

She's a TSTL innocent (a twenty year old who acts like a thirteen year old).

Sapheron
2 stars is pushing it slightly. Caro is an idiot who can't stay out of trouble and I couldn't like Dominic either. What happened Carole Mortimer?
Lucimar
Sem muitas surpresas, mocinha e mocinho sem muito carisma. Li e quase abandonei. Enfim terminei. Faltou algo..., embora não saiba o quê.
Jennifer Mcpherson
So annoyed with ”Caro” I certainly wished instead of Ben but she died.
Marcella
Inane. Stereotypical plot without the advantage of likeable characters.
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: The Copeland Sisters
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Copeland Sisters
Esther Somorai
I did not like this book at all.
Ariella
Very good book!hg
Tabitha Vinson
Tabitha Vinson marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Feb 07, 2015
  • Married: The Virgin Widow
  • Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick
  • How to Ruin a Reputation
  • One Illicit Night (Wellinghams, #3)
  • Innocent Courtesan to Adventurer's Bride (Transformation of the Shelley Sisters, #3)
  • Unmasking the Duke's Mistress (Historical)
  • Born to Scandal
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • Bartered Bride
  • Behind the Rake's Wicked Wager
  • A Countess by Christmas
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • The Accidental Princess (Accidental, #3)
  • Innocent in the Sheikh's Harem (Armstrong Sisters #1)
  • The Shy Duchess
  • More Than a Mistress (Rakes in Disgrace, #2)
  • Paying the Virgin's Price (Regency Silk & Scandal, #2)
  • A Question of Impropriety
Carole Mortimer was born in a village in England that she claims was so small that "if you blinked as you drove through it you could miss seeing it completely!" She adds that her parents still live in the house where she first came into the world, and her two brothers live very close by.

Carole's early ambition to become a nurse came to an abrupt end after only one year of training due to a weaknes
More about Carole Mortimer...

The Copeland Sisters (3 books)
  • The Lady Forfeits (Copeland Sisters, #2)
  • The Lady Confesses (Copeland Sisters, #3)
Pregnant with the Billionaire's Baby A Past Revenge Wife By Contract, Mistress By Demand The Duke's Cinderella Bride Lady Arabella's Scandalous Marriage