Start by marking “The Lady Gambles (Copeland Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Lady Gambles (Copeland Sisters, #1)

The Lady Gambles (The Copeland Sisters #1)

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  206 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Her heart pounding beneath the bright lights of London's most fashionable gambling club, Lady Caroline Copeland nervously steps out from behind the curtain....Eyes scanning the crowd, she's drawn to a devilish-looking gentleman glowering at her from the back of the room. The intensity of his gaze burns through her disguise, making her throat dry, her cheeks pink. Caro's ga ...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Harlequin (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Lady Gambles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lady Gambles

The Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
Historical Romance Novels 2012
82nd out of 199 books — 121 voters
The Rake of Hollowhurst Castle by Elizabeth BeaconThe Captain's Forbidden Miss by Margaret McPheeThe Lady Gambles by Carole MortimerThe Accidental Prince by Michelle WillinghamA Regency Christmas Carol by Christine Merrill
Harlequin Historical
3rd out of 78 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan
Feb 12, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
Very good book. Caro came to London to escape from a guardian that wants to marry one of the three sisters and doesn't care which one he gets. Caro has been sheltered on the estate, and has no idea what trouble she can get into. She got lucky and was hired at this club, where the manager and bouncer look after her. When the new owner returns from abroad, he is not happy to see her there. Dominic wanted no women at the club, as he feels they just cause trouble. Dominic also finds that Caro is not ...more
Donnie
Aug 28, 2015 Donnie rated it it was amazing
Great romance.
Jane
I don't know why I love to torture myself with books I don't really like. I guess, it's got to do with the fact that my mom keeps buying these regency novels and saying that they're quite OK and I keep hoping that she's correct, but yet again I was inclined to think that her OK and my OK are from different worlds. As this example of my mom shows that there are people out there who enjoyed this novel, but I, unfortunately, was not one of them.

The problems I had with this book started from the ve
E. R.
I've read previous books from the author before, so when I saw this book, I skimmed through it first to see if it would grab my attention.

Thank goodness that I did.

The premise of the trilogy is three sisters reacting, in their own ways, to the marriage proposal of their new guardian. The second daughter, Lady Caroline Copeland, decided that she needed to temporarily find a job in London. At her new job as the singer of a gambling club (under disguise, of course) she finally meets her employer, L
Dragana
Dec 16, 2011 Dragana rated it it was ok
Accidentally I first read The Lady Forfeits, second book in The Copeland Sisters series. I liked it very much, so I back-tracked to read the first book The Lady Gambles. But this book has much worse characterization, everyone are romance-novel-not-exist-in-real-life types that I was at times so much annoyed with this book and wanted to quit..

Caro Morton aka Lady Caroline Copeland is in my opinion a spoiled little brat. She has a problem at home so she runs away until her big sister solves it.
She
Doreen
Feb 16, 2012 Doreen rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Do you ever come across a heroine you'd like to slap? Caro is one of them. She's so "feisty" and "spirited" that she totally ignores any instructions to stay somewhere or not talk to someone, even when common sense would dictate she should do so. Admittedly this gives the hero chances to rescue her, but really! And she doesnt seem to learn from her mistakes. Surely her character should develop during the course of the book, and this is one area she should definitely improve.
Liz
Nov 02, 2013 Liz rated it it was ok
Not impressed. Elementary students could write better. This book isn't worth the review
Hasnamezied
Nice
HarlequinRomanceReviews
Sep 12, 2012 HarlequinRomanceReviews rated it really liked it
Caro Morton has no intentions of marrying. She doesn't want to leave her family, but she has no choice when the marriage date starts creeping closer and she is forced to flee from her home and two sisters without so much a glance back.

She arrives in London's most fashionable gambling club, disguised under a mask and wig, and sings to earn her money. But what she doesn't know is that she is working for Dominic, a hurting, handsome, and mysterious man.

I've read the whole trilogy and am coming back
Lyndsay
I stumbled upon this author when looking for something completely different and am glad I did.
The first in the series, and I can't wait to get my hands on the second.

This is the story of Caroline (Caro). She is the second sister. She runs off and when she cannot get a job as a ladies companion or shop assistant b/c her lack of references she becomes a singer at a gambling hall. Disguising herself with a mask and wig. It works b/c her father never let his daughters have a season in London.

Dominic
Sharyn
Feb 22, 2014 Sharyn rated it liked it
Interesting plot, but very unbelievable. I know, suspend disbelief and just go with the story, but I thought the heroine was an idiot, and the hero, well took him a lot of time to find the villian. But it is a trilogy, so I will seek out the next 2 books, to see what happens to the other 2 sisters, (though it is not hard to tell who they will marry.
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
Dalla trama mi ero immaginata una storia completamente diversa, la parentesi musicale nel locale dura poche pagine dopodiché Caro, attirata l'attenzione del cattivo di turno, passa il resto del libro sballottata tra le varie case di Dominic (chiaramente quindi l'ambientazione londinese non è minimamente sfruttata)che la prende sotto la sua protezione. Lui non sa che lei è la protetta del suo amico e lei non sa che il suo tutore è uno dei migliori amici del bel conte a cui lei si è donata corpo e ...more
Alyssa White
Jan 24, 2016 Alyssa White rated it really liked it
This book was quite interesting. Oddly enough I really enjoyed the last chapter! Not because it ended the book, but because it made me smile and laugh. I fell in love with one of the characters - I would totally date him if he was real, but something tells me he will be getting married in one of the other books to one of the other sisters. I cannot read further into the other books to find out what happens with the other sisters. Caro, annoyed me a bit in spelling because I kept thinking of Char ...more
Kelly
Cat
Nov 16, 2015 Cat rated it did not like it
not great
Michele ~ Devilishly Delicious Book Reviews
I enjoyed this book! Carole Mortimer does a great job helping you get really into the story and feel the emotions that the characters feel. I was a little disappointed with the last 30 pages though. It seems that she rushed to finish the book and left out some things. I would have like to read about Gabriel's reaction to Dominic planning to marry one of the women he was looking into marrying. Still a great book. Just wish there was a little more detail towards the end.
Angt27
Mar 12, 2012 Angt27 rated it did not like it
Got halfway through this book before I realised what a complete and utter cow the heroine was. She just argues and argues and argues and won't ever shut up. When Dom says he doesn't want to talk about his parents dying she agrees not to, but the next four pages consist of her nagging him to know all the details of their deaths. Totally insensitive and unloveable. Didn't finish it.
Gail
Heroine runs away from home to keep from having to marry the new earl of something, after father's death, who was last earl. The guardian offered to marry whichever sister (there are three) is willing to have him, but none of them want him. Heroine is singing at a gambling den. Hero is the new owner of said den, and disapproves. Romance commences. It's a good story.
Joanne
Apr 03, 2013 Joanne rated it liked it
Lady Caroline Copeland runs away from home when he is told that her guardian has requested to marry one of the three sisters. She ends up in London and gets job as a singer in a gentlemen's club under the name of Caro Morton. She meets her employer Lord Dominic Vaughn and must fight to keep her secret.
Carrie Olguin
Jan 05, 2013 Carrie Olguin rated it liked it
Character cliche altert!!

He's an arrogant brute who acts like a caveman.

She's a TSTL innocent (a twenty year old who acts like a thirteen year old).

Sapheron
Jul 07, 2012 Sapheron rated it it was ok
2 stars is pushing it slightly. Caro is an idiot who can't stay out of trouble and I couldn't like Dominic either. What happened Carole Mortimer?
Deyara
Accidentally started the series at book 3 - enjoyed that one much more than this one :( Characters and story werent very interesting.
Lucimar
Oct 24, 2013 Lucimar rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sem muitas surpresas, mocinha e mocinho sem muito carisma. Li e quase abandonei. Enfim terminei. Faltou algo..., embora não saiba o quê.
Jennifer Mcpherson
Feb 27, 2013 Jennifer Mcpherson rated it it was ok
So annoyed with ”Caro” I certainly wished instead of Ben but she died.
Marcella
Feb 12, 2012 Marcella rated it did not like it
Inane. Stereotypical plot without the advantage of likeable characters.
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: The Copeland Sisters
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: The Copeland Sisters
Esther Somorai
Mar 12, 2012 Esther Somorai rated it did not like it
I did not like this book at all.
Ariella
May 29, 2013 Ariella rated it it was amazing
Very good book!hg
  • How to Ruin a Reputation (The Rakes Beyond Redemption #2)
  • Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick
  • Married: The Virgin Widow (Gentlemen of Fortune, #1)
  • The Shy Duchess
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • The Accidental Princess (Accidental, #3)
  • Unmasking the Duke's Mistress (Gentlemen of Disrepute #1)
  • Society's Most Disreputable Gentleman (Wellingfords, #5)
  • The Viscount and the Virgin (Regency Silk & Scandal, #5)
  • Lady with the Devil's Scar
  • Born to Scandal
  • Lady Priscilla's Shameful Secret
  • The Highlander's Stolen Touch (The MacLerie Clan #5)
  • The Viking's Touch (Victorious Vikings #2)
I have written almost 200 romance novels in contemporary and Regency.

I am a USA Today Bestselling Author and recipient of the 2015 RWA Lifetime Achievement Award. In 2014 I received a Pioneer of Romance Award from Romantic Times in the US and in 2012 I was recognised by Queen Elizabeth II for my 'outstanding service to literature'.

I am very happily married to Peter with six sons, and live on the
More about Carole Mortimer...

The Copeland Sisters (3 books)
  • The Lady Forfeits (Copeland Sisters, #2)
  • The Lady Confesses (Copeland Sisters, #3)