Start by marking “The Mystery of the Princes: An Investigation” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Princes: An Investigation

The Mystery of the Princes: An Investigation

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  0 Reviews
This standard text gathers together in an accessible fashion an immense amount of historical material and new research on Richard III's alleged murder of his two nephews.
Published February 1st 1986 by Sutton Publishing (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Princes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Princes

Kristin
Mar 15, 2015 Kristin rated it it was ok
Shelves: history-medieval
I've had this book on my shelf for a long time, and I think I would have enjoyed it more when I bought it. First of all, it is quite dated at this point in its information, as one would expect as it is nearly forty years old. A great deal of new information has come to light since it was published (particularly the discovery of Richard III's burial site), some of which invalidates Williamson's conclusions. Second, those conclusions are not historically rigorous. Williamson (whose background I do ...more
Brenda Clough
Oct 05, 2012 Brenda Clough rated it it was ok
Gosh, this is tough sledding. If you don't already know all the people in the story, and if you can't instantly distinguish between the two or three Richards, the four or five Edwards, and the three or four Henrys floating around, this is not the book for you. A book only for the reader who is thoroughly familiar with all the history and is ISO analysis. What you really want to read, to introduce you to this material, is THE DAUGHTER OF TIME by Josephine Tey -- a detective novel, but far far ...more
Thomas Canfield
Feb 16, 2015 Thomas Canfield rated it really liked it
The Mystery of the Princes, Audrey Williamson’s account of the disappearance and alleged murder of Richard the Third’s two nephews, is a gripping retelling of a tale which has fascinated historians, scholars and readers alike for over five hundred years.

What actually happened to the Princes, who was involved and what role did Richard himself play has furnished material for countless writers, Shakespeare and Thomas Moore amongst them, over the centuries. The mystery, unresolved still and likely
Zoran Milovanovic
Jul 03, 2015 Zoran Milovanovic rated it it was ok
This book would no doubt please the Richard the Third Society. Although facts are presented the suggestions offered to who didn't kill the princes are less than probable and at times give outrageous conjecture.

However, for a read full of maybes... perhaps... it could be that... and Williamson persuading the reader to go along with half baked, flimsy far-fetched arguments,then you may (along with The Richard the Third society) find it entertaining.

I myself found the whole tale (although giving t
Debbie
Nov 03, 2011 Debbie rated it did not like it
Shelves: history
I have read lots on this topic - Kendall, Ross, Gairdner, etc. - so I know the topic. This is one of the most tedious books I have ever read and it took me forever to get through it..I can not believe it won the Crime Writer's Association Gold Dagger award for nonfiction - was there no one who wrote an interesting book that year?

This is a real mystery - one that will probably never be solved - it changed the course of English history - so it is exciting, important, interesting, and even - in the
Mlg
Sep 13, 2013 Mlg rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very scholarly and well researched book on the disappearance of the two little princes. Lots of primary source material, I'm still not sure who killed them, or if they were murdered.
Lisette
Jun 03, 2015 Lisette rated it really liked it
Read after I came back from my honeymoon in England and I was a little obsessed with British history.
Caroline
I couldn't finish this book. It was so boring. How did this author manage to make such an interesting subject so dull?

Kathy Wainwright
Kathy Wainwright rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Kimberly Chandler
Kimberly Chandler rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Roxy Sylvester
Roxy Sylvester rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2015
Sarah Gray
Sarah Gray rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
Su
Su rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2014
Dorothea
Dorothea rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2010
Beth
Beth rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2010
Éowyn
Éowyn rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Charlotte Card
Charlotte Card rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Tinandra
Tinandra rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2016
Keriann Davey
Keriann Davey rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2016
Temashana
Temashana rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2013
Olivia Jones
Olivia Jones rated it did not like it
Feb 12, 2016
Ivana
Ivana rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Laura rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2007
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Amanda Wade
Amanda Wade rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it it was ok
Jan 29, 2012
Jennifer (JC-S)
Jennifer (JC-S) rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2007
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2013