Start by marking “書劍恩仇錄” as Want to Read:
書劍恩仇錄

書劍恩仇錄 (The Book and The Sword)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  21 reviews
In the Book and Sword, Louis Cha revives the legend about the great eighteenth-century Manchu Emperor Qianlong which claims that he was in fact not a Manchu but a Han Chinese as a result of a "baby swap." The novel is panoramic in scope and includes the fantastical elements for which Cha is well-known: secret societies, kungfu masters, a lost desert city guarded by wolf pa ...more
Published (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about 書劍恩仇錄, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 書劍恩仇錄

Jim Peterson
This is officially one of my favorite books of all time.

First and foremost it's an epic, beautiful story. That said, there's loads of action, fighting, deception, intrigue and romance. It's unlike anything I've ever read. Fans of classic Shaw Brothers films will love it, but so many others would too. This book is for you if you also liked: The Count of Monte Cristo, The Da Vinci Code, The Stand. Or if you like long, action-packed, character-rich novels. I also loved learning about some aspects o
Femmy
Grace Tjan
Feb 03, 2010 Grace Tjan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wuxia/ Jin Yong fans
Jin Yong's first wuxia novel is set in the reign of the Qian Long Emperor, when the Qing dynasty was expanding its realm through the Uighur lands in China's far west. The main protagonist, Chen Jialuo, is the young helmsman of the Red Flower Society, a secret organization dedicated to the restoration of Han Chinese sovereignty, which they wish to accomplish through the secret tie between their helmsman and the Emperor. The plot is woven around two stories that date from this period in Chinese hi ...more
Jake
this book is lots of fun and everybody should read it (as long as you don't hate chinese people or action or muslims)
Kione
Frightening.
Exotic.
Poetic.
Roanne Araneta
Thank the freakin Zeus I've finally finished reading this book!

Never again.

CHEN JIALUO YOU... YOU FOUL... YOU EVIL MOTHERFUCKER! I CANNOT FIND WORDS FOUL ENOUGH TO DESCRIBE THIS CRINGING BIT OF FILTH.

"My sister loved you all along, and you love her, don't you?"

"Yes. I shouldn't try to deceive you."

"But I know you truly love me too. And without you, I cannot live. So let's go and find my sister quickly and we can all live happily together forever. Don't you think that would be lovely?"

Good g
Quân Khuê
Ắt hẳn đây là Thư kiếm ân cừu lục
Helmut
Excellent kungfu, Mr. Cha!

Louis Cha nimmt den Leser in diesem "Martial Arts"-Roman auf eine weite Reise durch das China der Qing-Dynastie. Von den Wüsten Xinjiangs zu den Küstenregionen Südchinas begleitet der Leser die Hauptprotagonisten, Mitglieder einer Geheimgesellschaft, auf ihrem Versuch, China den Manchu zu entreißen und den Chinesen wieder zurückzugeben.

Sehr unterhaltsam, durchgängig sehr lesbar und spannend wird hier so ziemlich alles verarbeitet, was diese Region zu bieten hat: Geheim
Vincent
I don’t read Chinese, so I had to actively search for his books in translation. Jin Yong (or Louis Cha, as he is sometimes called) is credited with writing or inspiring over a dozen of the HKTVB soaps and remakes I’ve watched from pre-adolescence on. As I read The Book and The Sword, storylines from seemingly unrelated movies and shows became familiar, so whether I’m right or wrong to do so I am going to credit him with inspiring those as well.

The Book and The Sword is Yong’s first novel and (I
Chris
this was my first venture into the wuxia genre. i'm a fan of movies like hero, crouching tiger, hidden dragon, etc. so i thought i'd like this book. plus, my friend nini, who has read all of jin yong's books, recommended it to me.
being an american, to me, the translation is only slightly off-putting in its style. the content is excellent. the story is very compelling. it's full of twists and hooks and musou-style fighting.
i'm not interested in how dorky the names of the martial arts maneuvers ar
Ross
Louis Cha's (Jinyong's) first novel, which was originally serialized and then collected into novel form. It's an excellent read by one of the most famous authors in Hong Kong, but this book is made even more special because it's one of the few (maybe only) excellent translations that I've ever found of Louis Cha's work. The translation was done by British journalist Graham Earnshaw, and so the story works quite well in English.
Lewis Manalo
May 06, 2007 Lewis Manalo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes a good story
This is one of the few books by Jinyong that's available in English (legit). If you're not used to the Chinese names it can get confusing, and the serialized structure is another thing to get used to. But the story is very exciting and very touching in a way that Western genre novels are often not.
John Wan
Louis Cha's first book, very poignant depiction of the Ching dynasty and the rumor that one emperor, Qian Long, was actually of Han and not Manchu descent. Very very good story about friendship, brotherhood and the red flower society.
Mizuki
The only English translation of Jin Yong's novel. Sadly IT ISN'T HIS GRANDEST MASTERPIECE! Far from it!

I don't like the main characters at all, and because of that I felt little joy in readinf The Book and the Sword.=__=
Joyce Chan
This book is officially one of my favorites now! Actually, the one I read was a Chinese book, but it had an English title too.
Nấm Hương
đọc xong chỉ nhớ mỗi Dư Ngư Đồng
nhớ vậy thôi chứ mình cũng ghétttt thằnggg chảaa
à đúng rồi, đọc xong ghét đàn ông :)) =))
David Agranoff
Classic martial arts fantasy novel was a huge influence on my latest novel Hunting the Moon Tribe. My favorite Wuxia novel.
Letitia
I read the original Chinese version as a teen, don't remember it anymore but I just brought it back from Singapore to re-read.
Angie
Apr 18, 2008 Angie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Minghua recommended this book to me. I'm hoping the translation is good.
Yujun Liang
What I read was the Chinese edition.
Todd
An entertaining wuxia novel.
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Jared Hernandez
Jared Hernandez marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Jason
Jason added it
Jul 26, 2015
Freema Telotoy
Freema Telotoy marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Eric Tan
Eric Tan marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Eres
Eres marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Rania
Rania marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Argall
Argall marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
  • The Deer and the Cauldron, Vol. 1
  • Journey to the West, Volume 3
  • Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Vol. 2
  • Outlaws of the Marsh (Vol. 1-4)
  • Crazy Girl Shin Bia Volume 2
  • The Golden Days (The Story of the Stone #1)
  • The Plum in the Golden Vase or, Chin P'ing Mei: Vol. One: The Gathering
  • The Peony Pavilion: Mudan ting
  • Tomoe Gozen
  • The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China: The Complete Fiction of Lu Xun
Louis Cha, GBM, OBE (born 6 February 1924), better known by his pen name Jin Yong (金庸, sometimes read and/or written as "Chin Yung"), is a modern Chinese-language novelist. Having co-founded the Hong Kong daily Ming Pao in 1959, he was the paper's first editor-in-chief.

Cha's fiction, which is of the wuxia ("martial arts and chivalry") genre, has a widespread following in Chinese-speaking areas, in
More about Jin Yong...

The Book and The Sword (2 books)
  • The Book and The Sword book 1 of 2
  • The Book and The Sword book 2 of 2
笑傲江湖 [The Proud Smiling Wanderer] The Eagle-shooting Heroes / She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan series (射雕英雄传) (Condor Trilogy, #1) The Giant Eagle and Its Companion / Shen Diao Xia Lu series (神雕侠侣) (Condor Trilogy, #2) The Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre/ Yi Tian Tu Long Ji series (Condor Trilogy, #3). The Demi-gods and the Semi-devils / Tian Long Ba Bu series