Start by marking “書劍恩仇錄” as Want to Read:
書劍恩仇錄

書劍恩仇錄 (The Book and The Sword)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  359 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In the Book and Sword, Louis Cha revives the legend about the great eighteenth-century Manchu Emperor Qianlong which claims that he was in fact not a Manchu but a Han Chinese as a result of a "baby swap." The novel is panoramic in scope and includes the fantastical elements for which Cha is well-known: secret societies, kungfu masters, a lost desert city guarded by wolf pa ...more
Published (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about 書劍恩仇錄, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 書劍恩仇錄

Jim Peterson
This is officially one of my favorite books of all time.

First and foremost it's an epic, beautiful story. That said, there's loads of action, fighting, deception, intrigue and romance. It's unlike anything I've ever read. Fans of classic Shaw Brothers films will love it, but so many others would too. This book is for you if you also liked: The Count of Monte Cristo, The Da Vinci Code, The Stand. Or if you like long, action-packed, character-rich novels. I also loved learning about some aspects o
Femmy
Jan 05, 2013 Femmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wuxia-cersil
Grace Tjan
Feb 03, 2010 Grace Tjan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wuxia/ Jin Yong fans
Jin Yong's first wuxia novel is set in the reign of the Qian Long Emperor, when the Qing dynasty was expanding its realm through the Uighur lands in China's far west. The main protagonist, Chen Jialuo, is the young helmsman of the Red Flower Society, a secret organization dedicated to the restoration of Han Chinese sovereignty, which they wish to accomplish through the secret tie between their helmsman and the Emperor. The plot is woven around two stories that date from this period in Chinese hi ...more
Sam
Dec 29, 2015 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wuxia
Not the best of Jin Yong...
Tuệ Trần
Jan 15, 2016 Tuệ Trần rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liệu rằng Hương Hương công chúa có gặp nàng Remediot-Người-Đẹp ở cõi thiên đàng?

Và nếu vậy thì ai đẹp hơn?
Jake
Apr 19, 2008 Jake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is lots of fun and everybody should read it (as long as you don't hate chinese people or action or muslims)
Kione
Frightening.
Exotic.
Poetic.
Roanne Araneta
Thank the freakin Zeus I've finally finished reading this book!

Never again.

CHEN JIALUO YOU... YOU FOUL... YOU EVIL MOTHERFUCKER! I CANNOT FIND WORDS FOUL ENOUGH TO DESCRIBE THIS CRINGING BIT OF FILTH.

"My sister loved you all along, and you love her, don't you?"

"Yes. I shouldn't try to deceive you."

"But I know you truly love me too. And without you, I cannot live. So let's go and find my sister quickly and we can all live happily together forever. Don't you think that would be lovely?"

Good g
Quân Khuê
Ắt hẳn đây là Thư kiếm ân cừu lục
Helmut
Mar 01, 2013 Helmut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: china, favorites
Excellent kungfu, Mr. Cha!

Louis Cha nimmt den Leser in diesem "Martial Arts"-Roman auf eine weite Reise durch das China der Qing-Dynastie. Von den Wüsten Xinjiangs zu den Küstenregionen Südchinas begleitet der Leser die Hauptprotagonisten, Mitglieder einer Geheimgesellschaft, auf ihrem Versuch, China den Manchu zu entreißen und den Chinesen wieder zurückzugeben.

Sehr unterhaltsam, durchgängig sehr lesbar und spannend wird hier so ziemlich alles verarbeitet, was diese Region zu bieten hat: Geheim
Vincent
Aug 16, 2011 Vincent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I don’t read Chinese, so I had to actively search for his books in translation. Jin Yong (or Louis Cha, as he is sometimes called) is credited with writing or inspiring over a dozen of the HKTVB soaps and remakes I’ve watched from pre-adolescence on. As I read The Book and The Sword, storylines from seemingly unrelated movies and shows became familiar, so whether I’m right or wrong to do so I am going to credit him with inspiring those as well.

The Book and The Sword is Yong’s first novel and (I
Mindy
If you have ever seen a Chinese kung fu movie (think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), you will get the basic gist of this book. This is a classic Chinese novel set in the early Ching Dynasty. There is a group of rebels who are wishing to overthrow the Manchus from the seat of the Emperor who are called the Red Flower society. There is intrigue, suspense, noble characters, secret identities, a little love and a whole lot of kick butt kung fu action. A good book with a lot of action from one of Ch ...more
Chris
Jul 05, 2013 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
this was my first venture into the wuxia genre. i'm a fan of movies like hero, crouching tiger, hidden dragon, etc. so i thought i'd like this book. plus, my friend nini, who has read all of jin yong's books, recommended it to me.
being an american, to me, the translation is only slightly off-putting in its style. the content is excellent. the story is very compelling. it's full of twists and hooks and musou-style fighting.
i'm not interested in how dorky the names of the martial arts maneuvers ar
Kiki Sidira
May 12, 2016 Kiki Sidira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking. That's all.
This book is heartbreaking, until the very end!
I loved it from the first page and still holds a special place on my shelves!
Ross
Dec 05, 2008 Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Louis Cha's (Jinyong's) first novel, which was originally serialized and then collected into novel form. It's an excellent read by one of the most famous authors in Hong Kong, but this book is made even more special because it's one of the few (maybe only) excellent translations that I've ever found of Louis Cha's work. The translation was done by British journalist Graham Earnshaw, and so the story works quite well in English.
Lewis Manalo
May 06, 2007 Lewis Manalo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes a good story
This is one of the few books by Jinyong that's available in English (legit). If you're not used to the Chinese names it can get confusing, and the serialized structure is another thing to get used to. But the story is very exciting and very touching in a way that Western genre novels are often not.
John Wan
Jun 15, 2007 John Wan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Louis Cha's first book, very poignant depiction of the Ching dynasty and the rumor that one emperor, Qian Long, was actually of Han and not Manchu descent. Very very good story about friendship, brotherhood and the red flower society.
Mizuki
Jul 17, 2013 Mizuki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The only English translation of Jin Yong's novel. Sadly IT ISN'T HIS GRANDEST MASTERPIECE! Far from it!

I don't like the main characters at all, and because of that I felt little joy in readinf The Book and the Sword.=__=
Joyce Chan
May 08, 2011 Joyce Chan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is officially one of my favorites now! Actually, the one I read was a Chinese book, but it had an English title too.
Nấm Hương
Dec 07, 2014 Nấm Hương rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wuxia
đọc xong chỉ nhớ mỗi Dư Ngư Đồng
nhớ vậy thôi chứ mình cũng ghétttt thằnggg chảaa
à đúng rồi, đọc xong ghét đàn ông :)) =))
David Agranoff
Classic martial arts fantasy novel was a huge influence on my latest novel Hunting the Moon Tribe. My favorite Wuxia novel.
Letitia
I read the original Chinese version as a teen, don't remember it anymore but I just brought it back from Singapore to re-read.
Angie
Apr 18, 2008 Angie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Minghua recommended this book to me. I'm hoping the translation is good.
Yujun Liang
Jul 21, 2011 Yujun Liang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I read was the Chinese edition.
Todd
Jul 14, 2012 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
An entertaining wuxia novel.
Michelle Su
Michelle Su rated it it was ok
Jun 26, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Lam
Lam marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Will Seith
Will Seith rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
  • Journey to the West, Volume 3
  • Three Kingdoms: Classic Novel in Four Volumes
  • Crazy Girl Shin Bia Volume 5
  • Outlaws of the Marsh (Vol. 1-4)
  • Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre #1
  • The Golden Days (The Story of the Stone #1)
  • The Peony Pavilion: Mudan ting
  • The Song of Everlasting Sorrow: A Novel of Shanghai
  • The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han (History of Imperial China)
  • The Monkey King: Volume 1
  • The Plum in the Golden Vase or, Chin P'ing Mei: Vol. One: The Gathering
  • Tomoe Gozen
  • The Real Story of Ah-Q and Other Tales of China: The Complete Fiction of Lu Xun
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Skies of Dawn (The Twelve Kingdoms, #4)
Louis Cha, GBM, OBE (born 6 February 1924), better known by his pen name Jin Yong (金庸, sometimes read and/or written as "Chin Yung"), is a modern Chinese-language novelist. Having co-founded the Hong Kong daily Ming Pao in 1959, he was the paper's first editor-in-chief.

Cha's fiction, which is of the wuxia ("martial arts and chivalry") genre, has a widespread following in Chinese-speaking areas, in
More about Jin Yong...

The Book and The Sword (2 books)
  • 書劍恩仇錄(一)