Start by marking “Murder of the Bride (Rex Graves Mystery #5)” as Want to Read:
Murder of the Bride (Rex Graves Mystery #5)

Murder of the Bride (Rex Graves Mystery #5)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  171 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Scottish Barrister Rex Graves and his fiancee Helen have traveled to Aston-on-Trent in Derbyshire, England to attend the wedding ceremony of one of Helen's former students. The dreary gray skies and bickering families underscore Rex's private reservations about the unlikely couple's long-term prospects. But when people connected to the ill-fated wedding start falling faste ...more
Published March 8th 2012 by Midnight Ink (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Murder of the Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder of the Bride

Mike
Jan 04, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
"Murder of the Bride" was another excellent story in this series of books. I have to say it's even better than the "Murder on the Moor" and had more interesting characters in it too. With a wedding event, there was a huge selection of "suspects" to choose from and considering all the secrets that were being uncovered throughout the story, it's very fitting that it wasn't easy to properly predict who the killer actually was and don't worry, I shan't reveal it here; that'd be rude as well as disre ...more
Lelia Taylor
Feb 26, 2012 Lelia Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
Murder of the Bride
(Rex Graves Mystery Series Book #5)
C.S. Challinor
Midnight Ink, March 2012
ISBN 978-0-7387-2335-8
Trade Paperback (E-ARC)

Rex Graves is back, this time visiting his fiancee, Helen d’Arcy, so they can attend the wedding in Aston-on-Trent of one of her former students. Polly is very pregnant and her groom, Timmy, looks a bit peaked but is it just the dreary day leading Rex to think the success of this marriage is doubtful? Perhaps not, as the reception at the bride’s family country
Jodi
May 10, 2012 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Loved it! A classic who-done-it.

The butler did it in the drawing room with a candlestick! Picture the tried and true who-dun-it mystery and you have C.S. Challinor’s “Murder of the Bride.” In the fifth installment of her Rex Graves Mystery Series, Challinor offers up yet another entertaining and often humorous adventure.

Barrister and amateur sleuth Rex Graves and his fiancée Helen are off to Derbyshire, England for the wedding of a former student. Almost immediately upon their arrival at the chu
Elizabeth
Mar 07, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, scotland
Scottish Barrister Rex Graves and his fiancée Helen have been invited to a wedding in England after which they play on taking a walking holiday. The bride to be, Polly is a former student of Helen's who lives with her mother in what some might call a faux castle. The bride and her mother were deserted by Polly's father years before in mysterious circumstances.

Aside from the excellent food and beverages, the wedding offers an opportunity for Rex to meet some of Helen's co workers and in particula
Patty
Dec 17, 2011 Patty rated it it was amazing
Murder Of The Bride
By C.S. Challinor

Love this very English and very cozy mystery!!!

Rex...a barrister and Helen...a teacher...are off to a lovely wedding of one of Helen's former students.

Little do they know that almost everyone there will soon be murdered!!!

So much fun!!!

It was an excellent well told tale with lots of twists and turns and tons of potential suspects and I might add a surprise ending!!!

I loved Rex...he has a reputation for solving murders and he does this brilliantly.

There were so
Patty
Mar 17, 2012 Patty rated it really liked it
Rex and his fiance Helen are invited to a wedding. The bride is a former student of Helen's and she has invited Rex to be her escort.

Rex doesn't know anyone in the wedding party or any of the guests other than Helen so he is watching as an interested outsider. When several people are poisoned at the reception Rex gets involved, mostly because he was watching all the people around him and he is really good at observing what is happening.

The police are more than happy to get Rex involved.

There are
Potsdam Public
May 27, 2014 Potsdam Public rated it really liked it
Shelves: patron
A lovely read. Will look for the others Challinor has written.

Very enjoyable, and the plot was very well done. I did not figure out the murderer! Also, I enjoyed the humor.
Gretchen
Mar 04, 2014 Gretchen rated it liked it
Another good one in this series. A wedding where people keep dropping like flies.
Cheryl Harrington
Mar 03, 2014 Cheryl Harrington rated it liked it
Shelves: paperback
This was a comfortable cozy read with enough twists to keep things interesting. I will look for more in this series.
Evonne Edgington
Just finished another in the Rex Graves series. Noticed something different. In the last two I have read in this series, the murderer is not one of the main characters, they aren't in the group of suspects. They either have a brief introduction at the beginning and then don't show up until the end when Rex figures it out. Not a usual plot device. In this one, the police and Rex thought they had the murderer and then it turned out to be someone else who wasn't at the wedding.
Pam
Mar 18, 2012 Pam rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I was disappointed. I was really looking forward to a new (to me) author for cozy mysteries. I particularly like the ones set in Great Britain. Although the plot was not predictable I just did not enjoy it as much as I hoped. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for this book at this time. I will try another one by this author some time in the future to see if it was just me.
Georgene
Jan 31, 2014 Georgene rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A decent & enjoyable mystery.
Susan
Mar 31, 2012 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-england
Scottish barrister Rex Graves joins his fiancee, Helen, at the wedding of one of her former students. The weather is dreary, the bride very pregnant, and when they get back to the bride's home for the reception, people start to die. Rex volunteers to help the police, and finds a murderer for them. But is it the right person?
Diane S ☔
Feb 02, 2012 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it
A country house, a wedding, a very pregnant bride and arsenic. This is just such a fun read, Challinor does a great job with time and place. Love Rex and his constant quest for a pint and rally enjoyed this old style cozy. Plenty of humor and red herrings kept me interested to the end.

Arc by NetGalley.
Linda
May 09, 2016 Linda rated it it was amazing
Good clean mystery, enjoyed it.
David Marshall
Jan 26, 2012 David Marshall rated it really liked it
This is an elegant mystery in the style of a Golden Age classic with a reasonably closed set of possible suspects and several deaths to investigate. I was hooked by a simple and direct approach to storytelling.

Luci
Mar 09, 2013 Luci rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
These cozy murder mysteries call back to the mysteries of Agatha Christie. They are fun, quick reads that usually have pretty stock characters but its a nice little mind exercise.
Judy
Aug 18, 2013 Judy rated it liked it
What more can you ask for -- a wedding, a pregnant bride, a timid groom, food poisoning and a crazy family. Oh yes, a sprinkle of dead bodies. Enjoy!
Lawrence
Apr 23, 2012 Lawrence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
C.S. Challinor delivers another well written and highly readable mystery that will satisfy cozy readers.
Lucy
Apr 09, 2012 Lucy rated it it was ok
Merely okay. I won't look for any of the others in the series.
Ursula
Jun 25, 2012 Ursula rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
Well done. I will read other books in this series.
Georgia Lengyel
Dec 02, 2013 Georgia Lengyel rated it liked it
Good plot, lots of twists and turns. Fast read.
Kusum
Kusum rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Rachel Miller
Rachel Miller marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Susan Moxley
Susan Moxley marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Makayla
Makayla rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Holly Geely
Holly Geely rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Libby
Libby rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Jordan
Jordan added it
Jul 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Murder of a Beauty Shop Queen: A Dan Rhodes Mystery (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #19)
  • The Evil That Men Do (Dorothy Martin, #11)
  • Trouble at High Tide (Murder, She Wrote, #37)
  • Blood in the Water (Gregor Demarkian, #27)
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
  • Died With a Bow (Accessories Mystery #2)
  • Gem of a Ghost (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #3)
  • Rest for the Wicked (Jane Lawless, #20)
  • Murder Most Austen (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #4)
  • Back in the Habit  (Falcone & Driscoll Investigation, #2)
  • Drop Dead on Recall  (Animals in Focus, #1)
  • A Fair to Die for
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Hush Money: A Mystery (Jack MacTaggart #1)
  • A Small Hill to Die On (Penny Brannigan, #4)
  • Dead Man Waltzing (A Ballroom Dance Mystery #2)
  • Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple, #20)
  • Searching for Lincoln's Ghost

Rex Graves Mystery (8 books)
  • Christmas is Murder (Rex Graves Mystery #1)
  • Murder in the Raw (Rex Graves Mystery, #2)
  • Phi Beta Murder (Rex Graves Mystery, #3)
  • Murder on the Moor (Rex Graves Mystery, #4)
  • Murder at the Dolphin Inn (Rex Graves Mystery #6)
  • Murder at Midnight