Start by marking “Entropy” as Want to Read:
Entropy

Entropy

Non-fiction book by Jeremy Rifkin and Ted Howard, with an Afterword by Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen.

In the book the authors seek to analyse the world's economic and social structures by using the second law of thermodynamics, that is, the law of entropy. The authors argue that humanity is wasting resources at an increasing rate, and that will lead to the destruction of our c
Mass Market Paperback, 302 pages
Published October 10th 1981 by Bantam Books (first published 1980)

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill BrysonA Brief History of Time by Stephen HawkingCosmos by Carl SaganThe Selfish Gene by Richard DawkinsGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Best Science Books - Non-Fiction Only
272nd out of 1,090 books — 2,531 voters
Blood River by Tim ButcherThe Shock Doctrine by Naomi KleinNone of Us Were Like This Before by Joshua E.S. PhillipsAnimal Farm by George Orwell1984 by George Orwell
Disturbing Truths
179th out of 318 books — 340 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara
Nov 15, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
Recommended to Sara by: Luca
Shelves: global, environment
"Entropy" is a dated book (it was written 20 years ago) it talks about Montreal protocol instead of the Kyoto protocol... however the questions in this book are still actual. It is an intersting reading about the application of thermodynamic laws on our finite world where we do keep behaving like resources and everything are not finite...
Richard
Apr 27, 2015 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Rifkin. I will never look at the world the same way again. It's amazing when a book has that effect. At first, I thought I was going to be reading a book about predictions on the environment, which considering it was written in 1989 I thought would be interesting in a certain way. But then he quickly shifted into his thesis based on entropy and I realized this was not a book that is dated and judged in hindsight, but completely relevant today, powerful right now. Highly recommended and ...more
Leslie
Aug 28, 2012 Leslie rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
An interesting book but Rifkin applies entropy incorrectly to social systems. Anyone who knows college-level thermodynamics should be able to see the flaws in his logic....
Ensar Uzumcu
Feb 07, 2014 Ensar Uzumcu rated it really liked it
Shelves: ara-t-rma
Türkçe Çeviri 93 yılı birinci basımını buldum.. Eski fakat çok hoş bir kitap.

Ekonomi
Tarım
Nakliyat
Kentleşme
Silahlanma
Eğitim
SAğlık

alanarındaki Entropi ilişkisini çok güzel işliyor ve bazı çözümler öneriyor. Akıllı bir yaşam perspektifi sunarak Dünya'ya ve onun bir parçası olan kendimize bakışımızı tekrardan sorgulamayı mecbur kılıyor.
Rachel Krukowski
Feb 11, 2008 Rachel Krukowski rated it liked it
It's an interesting book, especially to read it now in 2008 since it was written in 1981. Interesting to read it and think, what of his predictions have come true? Can we still see this pattern emerging? The answer to that would be yes, but I think there is a bigger picture here to look at in terms of the entropy law, our society and how we view it. Worthy of a good discussion.
T
Oct 25, 2009 T rated it really liked it
This book is a little dated. But, the ideas are still timely and a great companion to books like The Long Emergency. Its a good book for folks that believe our post modern, post industrial society can continue to thrive.
Beth Barnett
May 28, 2007 Beth Barnett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a long time ago, and I found it very interesting and thought provoking at the time. I was a teenager, but I still think it has some philosophical concepts relating to waste and environment that are really interesting to consider.
Yura Park
Aug 14, 2015 Yura Park rated it it was amazing
this book is highly recommended. I am very surprised that It's written 30 years ago but thoroughly and precisely illustrates the main reason of all the problems in this world.
Aryssa Hutchins
Jan 10, 2016 Aryssa Hutchins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Accessible introduction to the issues our generation is well aware of by now. Jeremy Rifkin gives a sense of calm after laying out how Entropy affects every aspect of our lives.
Sol Salinas
Feb 02, 2008 Sol Salinas rated it it was amazing
A powerhouse. Rifkin's arguments are virtually impossible to refute -- We all have a lot of work to do.
Ragtimes
Ragtimes rated it really liked it
May 26, 2012
Yi Ingu
Yi Ingu rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Gabor Kovacs
Gabor Kovacs rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2012
Seba
Seba rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2013
John B
John B rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2007
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
Marc
Marc rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2009
David Lyons
David Lyons rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2014
James
James rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2009
Ross
Mar 28, 2008 Ross rated it liked it
I accidentally picked this book up thinking it was about physics. It's not.
Giulietta
Giulietta rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2012
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Jennifer Olsen
Jennifer Olsen rated it it was ok
Nov 11, 2012
Alberto
Alberto rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2013
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2010
Adam Marsan
Adam Marsan rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2010
Thomas Cotterill
Thomas Cotterill rated it really liked it
May 05, 2012
Linda Kristjanson
Linda Kristjanson rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Cedar
Jul 18, 2008 Cedar rated it really liked it
Learn a bit about the second law of thermodynamics and the ultimate Law of the Land.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Death and the Afterlife: A Chronological Journey, from Cremation to Quantum Resurrection
  • Reality Check: How Science Deniers Threaten Our Future
  • The Many Worlds of Hugh Everett III: Multiple Universes, Mutual Assured Destruction, and the Meltdown of a Nuclear Family
  • Cosmosapiens: Human Evolution from the Origin of the Universe
  • God and the Multiverse: Humanity's Expanding View of the Cosmos
  • A Survival Guide to the Misinformation Age: Scientific Habits of Mind
  • The Space Book: From the Beginning to the End of Time, 250 Milestones in the History of Space & Astronomy
  • The Hole in the Universe
  • Astronomy Today
  • Le menzogne di Ulisse: l'avventura della logica da Parmenide ad Amartya Sen
  • Every Thing Must Go: Metaphysics Naturalized
  • Fukushima: The Story of a Nuclear Disaster
  • Earthmasters: The Dawn of the Age of Climate Engineering
  • The God Problem: How a Godless Cosmos Creates
  • Nexus: Small Worlds and the Groundbreaking Theory of Networks
  • The Recursive Universe: Cosmic Complexity and the Limits of Scientific Knowledge
  • The Infinite Book: A Short Guide to the Boundless, Timeless and Endless
  • Green Wizardry: Conservation, Solar Power, Organic Gardening, and Other Hands-On Skills From the Appropriate Tech Toolkit
American economic and social theorist, writer, public speaker, political advisor, and activist.
More about Jeremy Rifkin...

“Time goes forward because energy itself is always moving from an available to an unavailable state. Our consciousness is continually recording the entropy change in the world around us. We watch our friends get old and die. We sit next to a fire and watch it's red-hot embers turn slowly into cold white ashes. We experience the world always changing around us, and that experience is the unfolding of the second law. It is the irreversible process of dissipation of energy in the world. What does it mean to say, 'The world is running out of time'? Simply this: we experience the passage of time by the succession of one event after another. And every time an event occurs anywhere in this world energy is expended and the overall entropy is increased. To say the world is running out of time then, to say the world is running out of usable energy. In the words of Sir Arthur Eddington, 'Entropy is time's arrow'.” 13 likes