Start by marking “Because of You” as Want to Read:
Because of You

Because of You

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  516 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Pretty Samantha Northrup knew her duty was to marry, but this orphaned vicar's daughter wanted to be swept off her feet by someone whose kisses made her toes curl. She never dreamed her orderly life would be turned upside down when a mysterious stranger came knocking on her door one stormy night. And, when they were found in a compromising position, she
Published February 1999 by Avon Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Because of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Because of You

Romancing the Book
Reviewed By- Jen
Review Copy Provided By- Joan Schulhafer Publisher and Media Consulting
Considering I'm a huge historical romance fan, I found it very interesting that I've never read a Cathy Maxwell novel. Shocking, I know! So, when I was asked to review this re-release of Because of You, I was quite happy to accept.

So, what we have in this novel is the classic nobleman seemingly compromising a lady and having to enter a marriage of convenience. What made this story for me was the characters. I
Marilyn Rondeau
Samantha Northrup was the vicar's daughter and somethng of a healer. She really was put upon by the villagers but it wasn't until they forced her to marry the man she had taken in and healed thru a serious bout of infulenza did she really see them for the hypocrites they really were.

Yale Carderock, the prodigal son, returns to his home to show his father that he wasn't worthless, only too late for his father had died a couple of years earlier.

The most amazing thing was see the growth of Yale in
Because of You by Cathy Maxwell
Historical Romance – Oct. 25th, 2011
4 1/2 stars

Samantha Northrup is in a fix. Her father, the previous vicar, passed away a year ago. By rights, Samantha should have moved out of the vicarage, but she’s poor and has nowhere to go. Threatened to be evicted by the villagers, she meets up with the mysterious Marvin Browne. Marvin Browne is ill with influenza and Samantha nurses him back to health but this only to causes more scandal in the village! Samantha is forced
Christine Morehouse
Dive into a sensual endearing read in BECAUSE OF YOU which is just another extraordinary sublime classic by none other than New York Times bestselling author Cathy Maxwell. harper Collins Publishing originally released in February 1999 for their Avon Romantic Treasure series. recently re-issued, Avon once again brings us the invigorating story of the pretty country vicar’s daughter, Samantha Northrup and the hellion rake hell who was disinherited, Lord Yale Carderock. The marriage might be an in ...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

“It’s not right to hold on to the past when it’s done and over” is easier said than done, especially when the future holds so many scary unknowns.

The village of Sproule is Samantha Northup’s world. She has never even been to the next town. In early nineteenth century England, an over-the-hill, unmarried vicar’s daughter has limited possibilities when her father dies leaving her penniless and homeless. Even though she is a healer and t
Wendy Hines
Samantha's life is a mess. Her father, the village vicar, passed away a year ago and Samantha has nowhere else to go except to live with two dotty old sisters that will be the bane of her existence. When a handsome stranger arrives in town and they end up in what appears to be a compromising position, Samantha is given a clean exit. Is marriage to this stranger the answer though?

Despite plot holes that were never filled, I found this to be an amusing and entertaining tale. I was quickly drawn in
Viviane Crystal
It's not right to hold onto the past once it is done and over." These are words that Yale Carderock thinks and feels on a daily basis. Being a rake is often depicted as fun, adventurous, and far above the mundane thoughts and actions of the majority of people. Yale would have agreed years ago when he was in the throes of his own hedonistic lifestyle, but he's paid dearly for those years, not so much in money as in wrecked relationships. First, he's come back to find his father, with whom he'd ho ...more
Samantha Northrup is the daughter of the old vicar, now deceased, and considered the town "spinster", unmarried at twenty-six. She's found herself at a crossroads in her life, and then enters Yale Carderock. Brash and handsome, the mysterious stranger finds himself directing the path that Samantha chooses, and her life is thrown into a tumult.

The characters were likable, and there was adequate character development. I was left with a good feel for each of them, and their actions and behavior fel
Originally posted on Joyfully Reviewed:

Since her father’s death, Samantha Northrup hasn’t quite fit in among the residents of the village of Sproule. Though she’s a healer and the daughter of the now-deceased vicar, no one seems to know what to do with the unmarried Samantha. Then a mysterious stranger practically falls into Samantha’s lap one night. He calls himself Marvin Browne and after bringing him back from the brink of death, Samantha finds herself
Liz Stevens
Eh. I don't know what to say about this one. The hero is a selfish jerk, but we're given two points where he shows heart while still being a jerk about it. The heroine is sweet, but her acceptance is too sudden, too serene, to feel right. And then towards the end, it's just too sudden, too out of nowhere, to sit right. The book needed to be longer, and the h/H have even a little more time together, for the ending to work. An enjoyable story, but it feels incomplete.
I can't believe it. I can't believe I'm saying this about a Cathy Maxwell book but I can't lie. This was such a mess. I think it wouldn't have been too bad had it not hit so many of my pet peeves. The lying hero, the martyr heroine, the insta-love, the thunderbolt love, the hero who just drags the heroine like a rag doll wherever he wants, the over sentimental cheeeeeeeeesy I-love-you's, and worst of all the I-have-high-principles-but-I-still-love-him-because-we-had-such-passionate-sex trope.
I think there should be a little more circumspection with the safety of single young ladies (or woman of any age!).
Rule number one, do not open the front door to strangers in the middle of the night when you are alone and far from neighbors.
Rule number two, do not follow strangers (especially if they are male) into the dark night by yourself in your thin nightgown.
There are a lot of basic security rules to learn from the first part of the story, but then I felt I could see the POV of Samantha th
Ashley Schuster
Didn't really like any of the characters in this book. It's a one and a half stars for me.
This one had less of a story and lots of plot issues. And even some serious editing problems (at one point a characters name is John - later the same character is Joseph! doh!). And it was completely not a believable love story and at times actually quite infuriating. I did see that this is an earlier efforts than the others I read - so some of that makes sense.
It starts on a Dark and Stormy Night, the Dark Stranger is taken in by the kindly Vicar's Daughter when he falls ill; a marriage is forced by the community leaders, who desire that the now orphaned Vicar's Daughter not be their charge; all ends nicely with a good romp of plot development before the end.

Nicely done by Cathy Maxwell.
I didn't like this as much as other Cathy Maxwell romances. Samantha comes across as too naive and trusting which really irked me. Also, the main conflict in this is that he lies about who he is? If only it were something more important.
This book didn't grab my interest. I'm not one who has to finish a book. If it doesn't grab me by the first couple chapters, then I'm done. This is my first book by this author. I might try another book by Maxwell some other time.
Donna Jo Atwood
Kathy's romance was just what I needed for the weekend. It was a well told romance with an engaging heroine and a handsome hero with just enough roadblocks in the way of their happily ever after to be interesting.

I have no idea whether it was a good book or horrible. Thank god there was no "bad guy" the h/h had to fight and there was no big misunderstanding but the dinner scene, I didn't know what to do!! It was hilarious!!
This book was okay... kinda slow. And the relationship was weird. First it moved too slow, then too fast, then too slow again... and then too fast. With that being said, there were still some good parts.
Apr 11, 2008 Lindsay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rachel C.
Good plot, but one complaint: I wish the author had devoted a bit more time to the process of them learning to love each other. Seemed a bit abrupt. But very enjoyable.
Decent book, but what happened to the two kids Yale got off the streets. He and Samantha leave and there is no mention of the kids in the Epilogue.
This is the first book I've read from Cathy Maxwell, I got to say I'm not impressed. It was not bad but it just didn't do it for me.
simple light reading not much to think about
  • Autumn in Scotland
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
  • Once a Gentleman (Ladies' Fashionable Cabinet, #3)
  • Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides, #3)
  • He Said Now (Gentleman's Club, Book #3)
  • The Savage
  • My Only Love
  • The Pleasure of Your Kiss (Burke Brothers, #1)
  • How Miss Rutherford Got Her Groove Back
  • The Runaway Duke
  • The Inheritance
  • The Lord Next Door (Willow Pond, #1)
  • Must Be Magic (Magic, #2)
  • So Wild A Heart (Aincourt's Hearts, #1)
  • The Perfect Mistress (Mistress, #2)
  • All the Pleasures of the Season
  • Pride and Pyramids
  • The Rules Of Seduction (Rothwell Brothers, #1)
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...