Start by marking “The Quare Fellow” as Want to Read:
The Quare Fellow

The Quare Fellow

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Published 1956 (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Quare Fellow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quare Fellow

Cecilia
What I've learned from the book so far about Irish Prison Slang:
- Quare - strange or remarkable, also seems ot have somethign to do with being a lifer
- Mot - Woman (I think hot and young)
- Squealer - Baby
- Screw - Prison Guard
- Dog End - Cigarette Butt

Well, this play takes place the day before and the morning of a hanging at an Irish Prison. I believe the moral of this play is hanging is a terrible way to die and the state killing people is awful and that compared to those things, Irish pri
Daniel
Writer's Block. A visual:

[Scene 1]
Among the rhododendrons, walking with artificial stride in memory of Hamlet, I, the lover of all honest science, inwardly hark back to a time when the prayers and the bells made complete sense.

[Scene 2]
Marshall D., the resident troll, somewhat understated in role, opines the following: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

[Scene 3]
Still amongst rhododendrons, now inwardly viewing benediction with an innocent child's conviction, I intone: A burnt child loves
Stephen
Set mostly inside (and near?) Mountjoy Prison, across from the Mater Hospital, Dublin, near the North Circular Road.
Daisy Leather
I must say, I think I preferred this to Waiting for Godot - which I surprisingly enjoyed quite a bit. Not entirely sure I grasped the entire meaning of the play or anything though, so now I'm entering into the world of speculation and google!
Heather
Brendan Behan's most popular play is evocative from start to finish. The musical quality of life in the gaol adds to the sensitivity of the whole treatment. Top class.
Shanna
Musical and sometimes humorous statement against capital punishment.
Mauricio Villamizar
Mauricio Villamizar marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
絹
marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Dorann
Dorann marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
pegah
pegah marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Lee Flynn
Lee Flynn marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Sibéal O
Sibéal O marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Marthese Formosa
Marthese Formosa marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Hedwika
Hedwika marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Zach Von joo
Zach Von joo is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2015
  • The Sandbox & The Death of Bessie Smith
  • Wife to Charles II
  • Taking Pictures
  • According to Mark
  • Conquest (Making of England, #1)
  • The Lark
  • Dangerous Lord, Innocent Governess (Belston & Friends #2)
  • The Shoemaker's Holiday
  • 'Tis Pity She's a Whore
  • The Secret History of Georgian London: How the Wages of Sin Shaped the Capital
Brendan Francis Behan (Irish: Breandán Ó Beacháin) (9 February 1923 – 20 March 1964) was an Irish poet, short story writer, novelist, and playwright who wrote in both Irish and English. He was also an Irish republican and a volunteer in the Irish Republican Army.

Behan was born in the inner city of Dublin on 9 February 1923 into an educated working class family. He lived in a house on Russell Stree
More about Brendan Behan...
Borstal Boy Confessions of an Irish Rebel The Complete Plays: The Hostage / The Quare Fellow / Richard's Cork Leg The Hostage After the Wake