Start by marking “What God Has Joined Together? A Christian Case for Gay Marriage” as Want to Read:
What God Has Joined Together? A Christian Case for Gay Marriage

What God Has Joined Together? A Christian Case for Gay Marriage

Gay marriage has become the most important domestic social issue facing twenty-first-century Americans -- particularly Americans of faith. Most Christians are pro-marriage and hold traditional family values, but should they endorse extending marriage rights to gays and lesbians? If Jesus enjoined us to love our neighbors as ourselves, and the homosexual is our neighbor, do ...more
Published May 31st 2005 by HarperOne

Be the first to ask a question about What God Has Joined Together? A Christian Case for Gay Marriage

American Gods by Neil GaimanAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoySmall Gods by Terry PratchettTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
265th out of 294 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 24, 2008 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, nonfiction, seminary
The authors' approach in this book is to make the case for same-gender relationships from a rational perspective. They offer anthropological and psychological studies that point to the endurance of same-sex attractions, and the benefits of marriage for gay people and their children. They don't get to what the Bible says until page 84. If you don't follow their argument, or feel that the Bible trumps common sense and scientific knowledge, then this book won't change your mind.

I personally found
May 24, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Letha Dawson Scanzoni
I was particularly moved and made thoughtful by Chapter 2: "The Longing for Belonging." The authors describe themselves as "pro-marriage" and I think this chapter puts that in perspective. This book was respectful toward the differing Christian positions, relied on psychological research, and addressed the critical questions about same-sex relationships for Christian Scripture-based ethics.
Feb 16, 2015 Rod rated it did not like it
I actually think this is a great book on gay marriage (for gay people). If you're going to be gay - you might as well be married. Love and loyalty and all that.

BUT - the problem we have here is this book claims to be A CHRISTIAN CASE FOR GAY MARRIAGE, and then they boldy and UNBIBLICALLY state "What God Has Joined Together." They were desperate enough to put a question mark after that statement though (as if that means they are actually questioning something theologically). So funny.

This book at
Oct 29, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The life of faith is a dance on the boundary between conviction and humility."

This is a truly outstanding book for any Christian who still has lingering doubts about reconciling this contentious ongoing societal issue with their faith. It would also be a good book for a non-believer who wants to calmly and accurately reason with a stubborn fundamentalist Christian (or attempt to reason).

Myers and Scanzoni lay bare the arguments against gay marriage, particularly the false idea that homosexualit
May 12, 2015 A. rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, so it rounds up to 4. I'm pro-marriage equality, so it's not like I disagreed with the authors' basic premises, but the tone of first few chapters sort of turned me off the book, and I didn't start to really appreciate what they had to say until chapter 5. That was where they started talking about biological causes of sexual orientation and were careful to emphasize that they were limited to the research available when they were writing the book (2005, so ten years ago as I write this ...more
Eric Black
Sep 02, 2015 Eric Black rated it liked it
Shelves: marriage, sexuality
What God Has Joined Together is certainly an interesting book for those decrying the condition of marriage in contemporary society.

If the acceptance of same-sex marriage was strictly a matter of sociology and psychology, Myers and Scanzoni have written a slam dunk argument for affirming and even encouraging same-sex marriage. I would agree that being married to one's sexual partner is much better than not being married and is even expected by Christian scripture. However, a Christian approach to
Sep 05, 2012 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics, religion
A wonderful and concise argument for same-sex marriage, approaching the subject with a goal of seeking common ground to better explore what's really at stake. It's quite an eye opener to see how much common ground is shared. Written by heterosexual Christians, this book approaches both sides with gentle humility. If, by the end of this book, someone isn't convinced of their argument, it is simply because the reader would rather ignore the truth than gather the courage to face it. Highly recommen ...more
May 07, 2008 Nathan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is a good intro to the topic of homosexuality from a Christian perspective, and whether or not you think homosexuality itself is a sin, it makes a very strong case for allowing gay marriage in our society. It takes a serious look at what scripture says about homosexuality and I recommend this to any who are seeking more information on this very important and controversial topic in The Church.
Sep 08, 2015 Keith rated it really liked it
There are many dimensions to this book, but one of the points that stuck out most to me is where Myer reminds us that it is not gays who are ruining the sanctity of marriage, but our own unfaithfulness and lack of commitment. Only 2%-3% of the population is gay, while the divorce rate and rate of stagnant marriages among heterosexuals is far beyond that percentage. Have we been conveniently distracted from the real problem of our own marriages today?
I love David G. Myers, but this book wasn't too impressive. While they've done a great job discussing the research that would support gay marriage, and while they do a good job at laying out a faith-based basis of how we should treat others nicely, their discussion of the religious aspects of why gay marriage may/may not be acceptable simply isn't very convincing.
A compelling read on why it may be good to let homosexuals marry from a Christian point of view. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in getting some ideas of what would speak for "gay marriage" in terms of research in the marriage department as well as thoughts on bible passages that discuss this topic.
Jul 16, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
Full of statistics and the results of various studies. I thought chapter seven was the most valuable part of the book. In it, the authors discuss what the Bible says about homosexuality and examine how people have misinterpreted and misused what the Word actually says.
Sep 22, 2008 TJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ministry
Very good book. Good intro book for straight middle of the road christians. Well written and enlightening.
Jasmine rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2016
Luiz Rens
Luiz Rens rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2012
Cindy rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2009
Valerie Dubose
Valerie Dubose rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Knox Sutterfield
Knox Sutterfield rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Farah rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Zachary rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Ruth rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Dennis Wahlquist
Dennis Wahlquist rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Romela Rentoria
Romela Rentoria rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Megan rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2010
Robby rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Marcolus rated it did not like it
May 17, 2014
Suzy rated it did not like it
Jan 03, 2010
Rick Meyers
Rick Meyers rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Marisa rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Lolobull rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Jesus, the Bible, and Homosexuality: Explode the Myths, Heal the Church
  • Stranger at the Gate: To Be Gay and Christian in America
  • The Children Are Free: Re-Examining the Biblical Evidence on Same-Sex Relationships
  • Homosexuality and Christian Faith: Questions of Conscience for the Churches
  • Bulletproof Faith: A Spiritual Survival Guide for Gay and Lesbian Christians
  • Does Jesus Really Love Me?: A Gay Christian's Pilgrimage in Search of God in America
  • Unfriendly Fire: How the Gay Ban Undermines the Military and Weakens America
  • The Good Book: Reading the Bible with Mind and Heart
  • Proverbs of Ashes: Violence, Redemptive Suffering, and the Search For What Saves Us
  • What the Bible Really Says about Homosexuality
  • Loaves and Fishes
  • God vs. Gay?: The Religious Case for Equality
  • Harvard's Secret Court: The Savage 1920 Purge of Campus Homosexuals
  • Wrestling with God and Men: Homosexuality in the Jewish Tradition
David G. Myers is a professor of Psychology at Hope College in Michigan, and the author of 17 books, including popular textbooks entitled Psychology, Exploring Psychology, Social Psychology and several general-audience books dealing with issues related to Christian faith as well as scientific psychology.

More about David G. Myers...