Start by marking “Mouse Tales” as Want to Read:
Mouse Tales

Mouse Tales

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,618 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
When Papa's seven little mouse boys ask for a bedtime story, Papa does even better than that—he tells seven stories, one for each boy!
Published October 25th 1978 by HarperCollins (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse Tales

Fiona
My mum just found this book in her bedroom - it was my favourite book as a kid. We must have got it when I was about 5 or 6 - it was in the Blue Peter sale thingy they held in my school all those many years ago and used to belong to a girl called Franceska as she has written her name on a sticker at the front.

I wonder where she is now and how old she is?

It's a lovely set of stories, I remember them quite well and I still laugh at them even now. I suppose my mother's hoping to give it to the jumb
Emma Hoyer
May 15, 2015 Emma Hoyer rated it it was amazing
I love, love, LOVE these clever little mouse tales! Such a great book!
Sarai
May 11, 2015 Sarai rated it it was amazing
This is a book I read in first grade. As well as I remenber it has tales and fake stories.
Josiah
Jan 06, 2010 Josiah rated it it was ok
This book of little stories is about seven young mouse boys who lie awake one night, and their father, who at their request for a bedtime story tells his sons that he will tell them seven tales, a different one for each boy.

I like the way that the father mouse looks just like an illustrated version of author Arnold Lobel, himself. It adds a dimension of warmth to the book, in my mind. What also contributes warmth to these seven miniature animal fables is the utterly charming drawings by Arnold
Carly
Nov 17, 2012 Carly rated it it was amazing
"Mouse Tales" is about seven mouse siblings getting tucked into bed by their papa mouse. They ask him to tell them a story, and he says he will tell them seven stories for each one of them. The first story is about a young mouse and a wishing well that says "ouch!" every time she throws a penny in it. The second story is about a mouse and his mother seeing pictures in the clouds in the sky. The third tale is about a very tall mouse and a very short mouse who become very good friends. The fourth ...more
midnightfaerie
Feb 13, 2014 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Melissa Namba
Dec 05, 2015 Melissa Namba rated it liked it
Shelves: coplin
This is a good reader for my nephew. There are natural breaks, which can feel like chapters, and the story lines a simple yet interesting. I think the chapters are important because his older sister is such a voracious reader and I know he knows that he can't keep up with her. This will make him feel more like an advanced reader.
Estelle Mcdermott
Nov 14, 2014 Estelle Mcdermott rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing book. Id lost the book for years and eventually found it in the loft after always going through my mums bits. I read this when I was younger and my mum read the book to me and now im reading it to my daughter.The book always reminds me of my childhood.
Sarah Sammis
Jan 17, 2013 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Shelves: pc
Among Whytraven's books was an Arnold Lobel book I haven't read before: Mouse Tales. There are seven short tales, all involving mice, and bookended by a father mouse who is telling these stories to his children at bed time, one per child. The seven stories included are: The Wishing Well, Clouds, Very Tall Mouse and Very Short Mouse, The Mouse and the Winds, The Journey, The Old Mouse, and The Bath. Of the seven, my favorite is The Wishing Well as it takes an unusual and humorous approach to the ...more
Karen Dransfield
Apr 09, 2015 Karen Dransfield rated it it was amazing
From the author of Frog and Toad stories. Father Mouse is tucking his children to bed and they ask for stories. He tells them one story for each child. The book is a bunch of stories. Good for an early reader on their own. Great for sharing something short.
Ruth Ann
Jan 23, 2015 Ruth Ann rated it it was ok
I saw this book listed on a storytime resource as appropriate for a storytime. Not in my opinion.

This is ok for a beginning reader; the stories are kind of boring and not useful for storytime, at all!
TRAM School
Dec 28, 2015 TRAM School rated it it was amazing
The funniest one is The Bath because he lets the water go all around the town. All the people get wet and upset! Some of the other stories are good too.

- A (5yrs)
Jill
Jan 12, 2015 Jill rated it liked it
Nicola Mansfield
May 03, 2011 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
Reason for Reading: Son read aloud to me as his reader.

This is perfect Arnold Lobel. Once all seven mouse boys are in bed, Papa mouse begins storytime and he tells one story per child. Thus we have a book of seven short tales. They are all cute and funny and both ds and I enjoyed the book very much. Mostly, the stories are about boys but there is one about a girl and another about a boy and his mother. So this is certainly a boy friendly book, but I don't think girls are going to notice the lack
Restu Ratnaningtyas
Apr 26, 2016 Restu Ratnaningtyas rated it really liked it
menarik, bagian favorit saya adalah small mouse and tall mouse. tapi menurut saya dibandingkan dengan mouse soup buku ini rasanya seperti ada yang kurang..
Andrea Bobadilla mártin
Jan 03, 2016 Andrea Bobadilla mártin rated it it was amazing
I totally love this book... One of my best childhood memories.. .. As a reader You get involved by each single story. There is a lot of fantasy going on there.
Beverly
Oct 17, 2015 Beverly rated it it was amazing
The 3 year old to whom I read this loves these stories. He can tell them back to me. He likes almost all the Arnold Lobel books.
Kellie Ewilson
Aug 05, 2014 Kellie Ewilson rated it it was amazing
So good to read before bed. It's about a father mouse who tells stories to get his babies to sleep. Beautiful illustrations.
Weeny
Apr 02, 2014 Weeny rated it it was amazing
小さな可愛い7つの物語がリズミカルな英語で語られていてとても楽しかった。こねずみも小さいけど物語りも短くて小さい、こういう小さなお話のよさってはじめて感じたかも? 新たな発見だった。ほしいなあ(そしたら何度も読めるから)。
Jack
Oct 13, 2015 Jack rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-g-4
A fine book for sharing stories with the little ones. I feel a kin to Papa Mouse and he looks strangely like Arnold Lobel.
Age Range: 4 - 8 years
Grade Level: Kindergarten - 3
Lexile Measure: 440L
Marie Gray
Seven wonderful tales in one beautifully illustrated book. My favorite, favorite is 'The Bath' :-)
Tiffany
Hilarious stories!! Love the stories Journey, The Old Mouse and The Bath especially.
xo Jules
Dec 21, 2015 xo Jules rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-with-elsa
Super cute book of bedtime stories I've read to my children for years.
Maria
Apr 17, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it has a lot of tales and its intrusting.
Judy
Sep 16, 2014 Judy rated it it was amazing
My daughter just loves this story. We read it over and over.
Vii Lala lah
Mar 14, 2014 Vii Lala lah rated it it was amazing
My favorite book when I was a kid...too bad I gave it away.
Avel Rudenko
May 17, 2011 Avel Rudenko rated it it was amazing
This tale is now nearly forty-years alive, and it still holds water to the bedtime story classics. Well, well, well. We have here seven short stories within one story. A papa mouse saying a bedtime story to each one of his mice-children. All seven stories are uniquely displayed on a silver-platter to these children-mice. I get a sense that papa mouse really loves his children, or just maybe it was their lucky night, when eat mouse hear a story catered to their particular disposition. Wonderful b ...more
Suburban Homeschooler
Mar 05, 2014 Suburban Homeschooler rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Early reader loved it. Read it straight through!
Bekah
Feb 06, 2013 Bekah rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-kids-books
This is a fun book for kids. The 3-year-old I babysit loves the story about the wishing well, and it's my favourite too. Pretty funny! The 3-year-old is scared of the cat in the clouds, but thinks the new feet part is hilarious. Figure that one out! (I'm not a huge fan of the new feet story - you'd have to use your own discretion based on how sensitive your kids are to decide whether you'll read it to them). In any case, this book will go in the good pile. The stories are silly and some are cute ...more
Rebecca
Apr 11, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it
Not as memorable as Frog and Toad, but an easy read for early readers that little ones also enjoy.
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Nate the Great
  • Maps and Globes
  • Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book
  • Prairie School
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...