Start by marking “Mouse Tales” as Want to Read:
Mouse Tales

Mouse Tales

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  4,113 ratings  ·  84 reviews
When Papa's seven little mouse boys ask for a bedtime story, Papa does even better than that—he tells seven stories, one for each boy!
Published October 25th 1978 by HarperCollins (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Mouse Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mouse Tales

Fiona
My mum just found this book in her bedroom - it was my favourite book as a kid. We must have got it when I was about 5 or 6 - it was in the Blue Peter sale thingy they held in my school all those many years ago and used to belong to a girl called Franceska as she has written her name on a sticker at the front.

I wonder where she is now and how old she is?

It's a lovely set of stories, I remember them quite well and I still laugh at them even now. I suppose my mother's hoping to give it to the jumb
Emma Hoyer
I love, love, LOVE these clever little mouse tales! Such a great book!
Sarai
This is a book I read in first grade. As well as I remenber it has tales and fake stories.
Josiah
This book of little stories is about seven young mouse boys who lie awake one night, and their father, who at their request for a bedtime story tells his sons that he will tell them seven tales, a different one for each boy.

I like the way that the father mouse looks just like an illustrated version of author Arnold Lobel, himself. It adds a dimension of warmth to the book, in my mind. What also contributes warmth to these seven miniature animal fables is the utterly charming drawings by Arnold
Carly
"Mouse Tales" is about seven mouse siblings getting tucked into bed by their papa mouse. They ask him to tell them a story, and he says he will tell them seven stories for each one of them. The first story is about a young mouse and a wishing well that says "ouch!" every time she throws a penny in it. The second story is about a mouse and his mother seeing pictures in the clouds in the sky. The third tale is about a very tall mouse and a very short mouse who become very good friends. The fourth ...more
midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Estelle Mcdermott
Absolutely amazing book. Id lost the book for years and eventually found it in the loft after always going through my mums bits. I read this when I was younger and my mum read the book to me and now im reading it to my daughter.The book always reminds me of my childhood.
Sarah Sammis
Among Whytraven's books was an Arnold Lobel book I haven't read before: Mouse Tales. There are seven short tales, all involving mice, and bookended by a father mouse who is telling these stories to his children at bed time, one per child. The seven stories included are: The Wishing Well, Clouds, Very Tall Mouse and Very Short Mouse, The Mouse and the Winds, The Journey, The Old Mouse, and The Bath. Of the seven, my favorite is The Wishing Well as it takes an unusual and humorous approach to the ...more
Karen Dransfield
From the author of Frog and Toad stories. Father Mouse is tucking his children to bed and they ask for stories. He tells them one story for each child. The book is a bunch of stories. Good for an early reader on their own. Great for sharing something short.
Ruth Ann
I saw this book listed on a storytime resource as appropriate for a storytime. Not in my opinion.

This is ok for a beginning reader; the stories are kind of boring and not useful for storytime, at all!
Jill
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Son read aloud to me as his reader.

This is perfect Arnold Lobel. Once all seven mouse boys are in bed, Papa mouse begins storytime and he tells one story per child. Thus we have a book of seven short tales. They are all cute and funny and both ds and I enjoyed the book very much. Mostly, the stories are about boys but there is one about a girl and another about a boy and his mother. So this is certainly a boy friendly book, but I don't think girls are going to notice the lack
Kellie Ewilson
So good to read before bed. It's about a father mouse who tells stories to get his babies to sleep. Beautiful illustrations.
Weeny
小さな可愛い7つの物語がリズミカルな英語で語られていてとても楽しかった。こねずみも小さいけど物語りも短くて小さい、こういう小さなお話のよさってはじめて感じたかも? 新たな発見だった。ほしいなあ(そしたら何度も読めるから)。
Tiffany
Hilarious stories!! Love the stories Journey, The Old Mouse and The Bath especially.
Ian
Sep 08, 2014 Ian added it
This was a great book. I'd love to find a copy to read to my grandchild.
Maria
I like this book because it has a lot of tales and its intrusting.
Judy
My daughter just loves this story. We read it over and over.
Vii Lala lah
My favorite book when I was a kid...too bad I gave it away.
Avel
This tale is now nearly forty-years alive, and it still holds water to the bedtime story classics. Well, well, well. We have here seven short stories within one story. A papa mouse saying a bedtime story to each one of his mice-children. All seven stories are uniquely displayed on a silver-platter to these children-mice. I get a sense that papa mouse really loves his children, or just maybe it was their lucky night, when eat mouse hear a story catered to their particular disposition. Wonderful b ...more
Suburban Homeschooler
Early reader loved it. Read it straight through!
Bekah
This is a fun book for kids. The 3-year-old I babysit loves the story about the wishing well, and it's my favourite too. Pretty funny! The 3-year-old is scared of the cat in the clouds, but thinks the new feet part is hilarious. Figure that one out! (I'm not a huge fan of the new feet story - you'd have to use your own discretion based on how sensitive your kids are to decide whether you'll read it to them). In any case, this book will go in the good pile. The stories are silly and some are cute ...more
Rebecca
Not as memorable as Frog and Toad, but an easy read for early readers that little ones also enjoy.
Rosa Cline
This was a cute little chapter book. Starts with a Papa mouse reading stories to his seven sons so they'll go to sleep. So he agrees to tell seven stories one for each boy, and he does and in the end every one of the boys are asleep. All seven stories are simple and cute and most help teach youngsters the importance of friendship.
Janice
Papa Mouse tells one story for each of his 7 boys if they promise to go to sleep. Lucky there are 7 chapters in the book!! "Clouds" is great for Oregon weather...don't like it now...wait 5 minutes and it will change. The Old Mouse gets what he deserves. He's mean to the kids and his pants fall down in public. No one will help him. His wife hits him on the head. The ladies run. But the kids give him gum to hold up his pants and now he's nice to the kids.
Shannon
Great bedtime stories!
Mai Kimura
-Harper Trophy level2
-7/30 10min

-Seven-Mouse-Tale-mysterious-Father-Tell-Children

Q. If your only one wish can come true, what would you wish?

A. If my only one wish can come true, I would wish to be an university student forever. ha ha!
It is because university students have a lot of time and they can do whatever they want!

This is a very cute story!!
If I have children in the future, I want to read this book to them.
Elizabeth S
4 1/2 stars. What a charming book! I love the tales. They don't directly relate to each other, but the tie-in that Papa Mouse is reading them to his not-sleepy-yet boys works for me. I'd like to tell you what I enjoyed the most, but that would ruin the story. Suffice it to say that the stories make me giggle. My preschooler and I enjoy saying, "That's so silly!" repeatedly as we read.
  • Greg's Microscope
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • Bravest Dog Ever: Story of Balto
  • Nate the Great
  • The Beginner's Bible: Timeless Bible Stories
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...
Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1) Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2) Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3) Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4) The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)