Mouse Tales

Mouse Tales

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  3,320 ratings  ·  69 reviews
When Papa's seven little mouse boys ask for a bedtime story, Papa does even better than that—he tells seven stories, one for each boy!
Published October 25th 1978 by HarperCollins (first published 1972)

Fiona
My mum just found this book in her bedroom - it was my favourite book as a kid. We must have got it when I was about 5 or 6 - it was in the Blue Peter sale thingy they held in my school all those many years ago and used to belong to a girl called Franceska as she has written her name on a sticker at the front.

I wonder where she is now and how old she is?

It's a lovely set of stories, I remember them quite well and I still laugh at them even now. I suppose my mother's hoping to give it to the jumb...more
Josiah
This book of little stories is about seven young mouse boys who lie awake one night, and their father, who at their request for a bedtime story tells his sons that he will tell them seven tales, a different one for each boy.

I like the way that the father mouse looks just like an illustrated version of author Arnold Lobel, himself. It adds a dimension of warmth to the book, in my mind. What also contributes warmth to these seven miniature animal fables is the utterly charming drawings by Arnold...more
Carly
"Mouse Tales" is about seven mouse siblings getting tucked into bed by their papa mouse. They ask him to tell them a story, and he says he will tell them seven stories for each one of them. The first story is about a young mouse and a wishing well that says "ouch!" every time she throws a penny in it. The second story is about a mouse and his mother seeing pictures in the clouds in the sky. The third tale is about a very tall mouse and a very short mouse who become very good friends. The fourth...more
midnightfaerie
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 15 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Sarah Sammis
Among Whytraven's books was an Arnold Lobel book I haven't read before: Mouse Tales. There are seven short tales, all involving mice, and bookended by a father mouse who is telling these stories to his children at bed time, one per child. The seven stories included are: The Wishing Well, Clouds, Very Tall Mouse and Very Short Mouse, The Mouse and the Winds, The Journey, The Old Mouse, and The Bath. Of the seven, my favorite is The Wishing Well as it takes an unusual and humorous approach to the...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Son read aloud to me as his reader.

This is perfect Arnold Lobel. Once all seven mouse boys are in bed, Papa mouse begins storytime and he tells one story per child. Thus we have a book of seven short tales. They are all cute and funny and both ds and I enjoyed the book very much. Mostly, the stories are about boys but there is one about a girl and another about a boy and his mother. So this is certainly a boy friendly book, but I don't think girls are going to notice the lack...more
Weeny
小さな可愛い7つの物語がリズミカルな英語で語られていてとても楽しかった。こねずみも小さいけど物語りも短くて小さい、こういう小さなお話のよさってはじめて感じたかも? 新たな発見だった。ほしいなあ(そしたら何度も読めるから)。
Vii Lala lah
My favorite book when I was a kid...too bad I gave it away.
Avel
This tale is now nearly forty-years alive, and it still holds water to the bedtime story classics. Well, well, well. We have here seven short stories within one story. A papa mouse saying a bedtime story to each one of his mice-children. All seven stories are uniquely displayed on a silver-platter to these children-mice. I get a sense that papa mouse really loves his children, or just maybe it was their lucky night, when eat mouse hear a story catered to their particular disposition. Wonderful b...more
Suburban Homeschooler
Early reader loved it. Read it straight through!
Bekah
This is a fun book for kids. The 3-year-old I babysit loves the story about the wishing well, and it's my favourite too. Pretty funny! The 3-year-old is scared of the cat in the clouds, but thinks the new feet part is hilarious. Figure that one out! (I'm not a huge fan of the new feet story - you'd have to use your own discretion based on how sensitive your kids are to decide whether you'll read it to them). In any case, this book will go in the good pile. The stories are silly and some are cute...more
Rosa Cline
This was a cute little chapter book. Starts with a Papa mouse reading stories to his seven sons so they'll go to sleep. So he agrees to tell seven stories one for each boy, and he does and in the end every one of the boys are asleep. All seven stories are simple and cute and most help teach youngsters the importance of friendship.
Janice
Papa Mouse tells one story for each of his 7 boys if they promise to go to sleep. Lucky there are 7 chapters in the book!! "Clouds" is great for Oregon weather...don't like it now...wait 5 minutes and it will change. The Old Mouse gets what he deserves. He's mean to the kids and his pants fall down in public. No one will help him. His wife hits him on the head. The ladies run. But the kids give him gum to hold up his pants and now he's nice to the kids.
Mai Kimura
-Harper Trophy level2
-7/30 10min

-Seven-Mouse-Tale-mysterious-Father-Tell-Children

Q. If your only one wish can come true, what would you wish?

A. If my only one wish can come true, I would wish to be an university student forever. ha ha!
It is because university students have a lot of time and they can do whatever they want!

This is a very cute story!!
If I have children in the future, I want to read this book to them.
Elizabeth S
4 1/2 stars. What a charming book! I love the tales. They don't directly relate to each other, but the tie-in that Papa Mouse is reading them to his not-sleepy-yet boys works for me. I'd like to tell you what I enjoyed the most, but that would ruin the story. Suffice it to say that the stories make me giggle. My preschooler and I enjoy saying, "That's so silly!" repeatedly as we read.
Leslie
My son read this when he was six. He is a reluctant reader but this book wasn't too difficult. There are plenty of pictures and the paragraphs are short enough and divided up in such a way to prevent the early reader from losing his place too much. The stories and illustrations are sweet but my little guy thought it was rather boring. Not enough sword fights for his tastes.
Jj Le
Mouse Tales was a book about a Papa mouse who told seven different stories to his little mouse babies, to get them to go to sleep. I enjoyed all the stories but the funniest and best story to me was the story about the tall mouse small mouse. It was cute, and hilarious. And the kids got to interact with the stories as well. That's one thing I like about Aronald books.
Holly Chapman
I did not particularly care for this book because I found it relatively boring. This book contains seven short stories that Papa mouse tells his sons while they are tucked into bed. This book would be a good read for first or second graders because the words are simple but the sentences become more complex and there are more words per page than typical picture books.
Jamie
Really liked this one. Level 2 book. Reminded me of this lady, Norma (a 3rd grandma to me), who used to tell us little random stories. It's about a grandpa telling stories before bed. Some are cute, some have lessons with them, some have pictures mixed in with the words to help kids associate the word with a meaning. Anyways, I really liked this one. :)
Saffron Jeffries
I like this book. It is cute because of the mice.
Kirei
Mar 01, 2008 Kirei rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: younger-kids
I liked this book just fine, so I gave it three stars. But my son said in the middle, "This is boring." He waited patiently until the end and then said, "That was boring." So I think he would give it one star.

Editted: Well, we read it again and he seemed to enjoy it more. He sat through it patiently and didn't complain, anyway.
jacky
I found this when I went through my school papers a second time. I wrote a little book report on it that was about two sentences long. All I really said was that I liked the pictures. I read this in the first grade and had no recollection of what it was about until I read the description here, and now it is very vague.
Nikki Fox
love this book!!! I remember my dad reading it to me and my sister when we were younger! loved it then...and live it now!! all the mini stories in this boom are terrific! my youngest (3 years) and I read the book tonight...she fell asleep on the second to last page! (like the mice in the book at the end! perfect!!
Zaire
Nov 27, 2008 Zaire added it
It was bedtime for the mouse childern.Papa mouse agree to tell them 7 bedtimes stories one story for each mouse boy.There is a tale about a wishing well,another about a grumpy old child hating mouse,and still another about a mouse who couldn't get clean.
Michelle
My students really like these short stories, and they are great for kids with beginning reading skills who want a real story. Could be called a "chapter book" although the stories are beginning 2nd grade level.
Terry Hill
Quite possibly one the most pointless children's book I have ever read. All of the mouse stories make no point individually, not as a collective.

Most children's stories have some moral or point. But not this one.
Kayli
Jun 04, 2008 Kayli added it
Soooooo hilarious! My kids and I were laughing and laughing. I only knew about the Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel (which we absolutely LOVE!) but I got a bunch of others by him, and they are super too.
Logan
Two stars means "it was okay," and those were Logan's very words when I asked him how he liked it. Not as clever as some of the I Can Read books we've liked, like Little Bear and Frog & Toad, but nice enough.
  • Greg's Microscope
  • The Beginner's Bible: Timeless Bible Stories
  • Nate the Great
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • Sammy the Seal
  • The Usborne Book of World History (Picture history)
  • Child's History of the World
  • The Year At Maple Hill Farm
Arnold Stark Lobel was a popular American author of children's books. Among his most popular books are those of the Frog and Toad series, and Mouse Soup, which won the Garden State Children's Book Award from the New Jersey Library Association.
More about Arnold Lobel...
Frog and Toad Are Friends (Frog and Toad, #1) Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2) Frog and Toad All Year (Frog and Toad, #3) Days with Frog and Toad (Frog and Toad, #4) The Frog and Toad Treasury: Frog and Toad are Friends/Frog and Toad Together/Frog and Toad All Year  (Frog and Toad #1-3)