Start by marking “Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,314 Ratings  ·  120 Reviews
“Among Buddhist leaders influential in the West, Thich Nhat Hanh ranks second only to the Dalai Lama.” —New York Times

“Thich Nhat Hanh is a holy man…. His ideas for peace, if applied, would build a monument to ecumenism, to world brotherhood, to humanity.” —Martin Luther King, Jr., nominating Thich Nhat Hanh for the Nobel Peace Prize in 1967.

In this much-anticipated follow
Published April 10th 2012 by HarperOne (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Peace Is Every Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace Is Every Breath

Jul 18, 2011 Underpressure rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zen master Thich Nhat Hanh's books are amazing. He provides a clear spiritual perspective for many modern day preoccupations. His life guides are not usually the thing you would read through in one sitting but the kind of book you would consult on and off throughout the years. His advice is deviously simple yet highly logical and practical. I recommend his books to anyone interested in buddhist philosophy. His spiritual advice is inclusive, meaning that it can apply to people from any and all wa ...more
T.Kay Browning
Nov 22, 2013 T.Kay Browning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one really suffered from not being read by Hanh. I have listened to a couple of his other works, one a book and one a lecture, where he is the narrator/speaker and his speaking style is just out of this world awesome. A lot of it still comes through in his writing, but you miss so much of the great care with which he treats his world and the wonderful pacing that he uses.

Still, lots of wonderful teachings and firm, real world examples that I would love to have form the very core of who I am
Trey Nowell
Apr 10, 2015 Trey Nowell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Hanh focusing on the importance of peace and centering ones self in that which is important. This book helps as a guide for self-reflection, very impressed with all of his work.
Like the author's earlier book "Peace is Every Step," "Peace is Every Breath" is a slim volume of short chapters, written using deceptively simple language and metaphors, that explains deep Buddhist concepts with a clarity that sometimes feels like a revelation. (In particular, when I read the sections on right mindfulness and wrong mindfulness, something clicked and I felt that I understood the concept of mindfulness in a way that I hadn't before.)

The book begins with concrete suggestions for
I'm not rating this as I feel it is one of those books that can mean more to you in a couple of years time, when you pick out a special chapter and re-read.

So I'm just going to give you my impressions of the first read:

+Short, clear chapters, most on practical every day stuff
+All the parts about dealing with (what I would call) negative feelings
+The Five Precepts added in the back for good measure
+The dutch edition I have looks very attractive, like a real gift to yourself or a loved one

Kia Turner
Peace Is Every Breath is a quick read, and a great introduction to the idea of mindfulness seen through the buddhist philosophy. Nhat Hanh makes an effort in this book to educate readers on his groundbreaking ideas of buddhism that is applicable to the present day, and presents not only the mantras themselves, but also guidelines on how to approach and understand them.

If you are short on time and looking for a simple read that you can use as a sort of guidebook and continually come back to - th
Jun 20, 2016 Polo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you want to read this book, I recommend performing a google and find the free .pdf file. It is freely available online to download. Personally, it is not worth paying money to read. Its nothing new that hasn't been said before about being mindful while brushing teeth, and watching the breath, watching thoughts. For anyone new to meditation and mindfulness it would have value. However, if one has been focused on mindfulness for some time, check out the free download and make a decision if you ...more
Outstanding book on mindfulness!! Designed for modern day, busy workers like myself. Thich Nhat Hanh poignantly discusses ways to always return you mind to the moment, whether you're washing dishes, getting in the car to go to work, or taking a few minutes for a quiet walk. You don't have to sit to enjoy the benefits of meditation. You can mediate throughout the day, staying mindful and being present. I highly recommend this book!
Jeff Yoak
It is interesting to me how much similarity there is in evidence-based, non-mystical works on mindfulness and works more based on a mystical tradition in terms of describing practice and technique. That said, I strongly prefer the former, and this was mostly either familiar to me or new poetry of the sort I'm not really seeking.
I want to live more mindfully and I try to have an open mind about it. I like the concept, but I can't get into Thich Nhat Hanh. I find myself thinking the emperor has no clothes...he's just a brand.
Oct 12, 2012 Abbey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i mean, of course. thich nhat hanh is the best. i read it faster than one should read a book about mindfulness, but i just got so excited to practice that i couldn't help myself.
Jan 31, 2014 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice ideas, but I felt that it read like a self-help article in a magazine - over-simplified and casual.
May 18, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book packs a ton of thought provoking wisdom in a small package. I already know that I will be reading this again and again to hopefully absorb its knowledge and guidance.
Oct 21, 2016 Katy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
Thay writes clear, practical, down-to-earth guidelines on meditation. This is a good book to start, refresh or reinvigorate a meditation practice. There are lots of gathas in this book, verses to use during the day to remind one to be mindful.
Oct 05, 2016 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thich Nhat Hanh continues to be my favorite with such simple and profound messages.

In Peace is Every Breath, he provides us with the possibility to accept that meditation and relaxation exist in every moment of our lives so long as we have the right perspective to see it. A must read for anyone who ever uttered the phrase "I just don't have time..." or believes that their stress levels are unmanageable.
Nov 02, 2015 Adanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So when do i assume lotus position and go 'ohmmmmm'?

Peace is hard work (practice) but also kind of simple (steps).
My copy of this book is filled with notes to self and underlined paragraphs and question marks!
I loved the book's style as it flowed easily from one 'chapter' to the next. Short and sweet.
I have to say once i started reading this, it was not what i expected, but i guess i had planned for the future of this book without letting it unfold in the now!
I've learnt so muc
SHORT VERSION: I really enjoyed the book and would encourage others to read it if you're new to mindfulness and looking for a more flowing, poetic, continuous textual approach.

LONG VERSION: This was the first full-length book of Nhất Hạnh's that I've read, though I'd been meaning to for a while. It was a really beautiful little experience. He speaks -- that's what it feels like; he's not writing -- in such an informal, personable way that you really feel like he's engaged in a conversation with
Aug 13, 2012 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
by Thich Nhat Hanh
When I started this book I thought it was a bit slow and it took me while to get what Thich Nhat Hanh was trying to get across. Putting aside time to meditate probably holds more people away from meditation than anything else. In our already overburdened lives how do add time that appears to be accomplishing nothing.

Through many examples of small meditations that are easy to add into your life, Hanh is putting forth two messa
Mơi đâu đoc tưa sach "Thiên tâp cho ngươi bân rôn" hơi phan cam ti vi không thich la ngươi mang danh bân rôn đôi vơi viêc đoc sach, minh thich thanh thơi va đoc tư tư. Nhưng ma la cua Thich Nhât Hanh - Tac gia, Thiên sư yêu thich cua minh nên không khoi to mo lât ra đoc thư. Ngay trang bia la bai thi kê tương tư bai minh đoc hoai môi sang: "Thưc dây miêng mim cươi. Hăm bôn giơ tinh khôi. Xin nguyên sông tron ven. Măt thương nhin cuôc đơi." Bai minh đoc thi câu cuôi la "Hiên dâng cho cuôc đơi". D ...more
Jason Fella
Aug 09, 2013 Jason Fella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I love Thich Nat Hanh's work and books. I've seen his video seminar and read several of his books. This one is concise, easy to understand, and hits all the right points. Yes, it's a little repetative (like all buddhism books) but that's because the core concepts in Buddhism are so basic that everything will come back to that. Repetition helps reinforce those simple truths.

My ONLY complaint about this (and similar) books, is the ease with which the author insists you can banish or con
San San
Cuốn sách là những bài học nhỏ, hướng dẫn chúng ta thực hành thiền tập trong đời sống hàng ngày.
Ngay từ những công việc nhỏ nhất như thức dậy, đánh răng rửa mặt buổi sáng, Thầy Thích Nhất Hạnh hướng chúng ta đến cách sống thức tỉnh trong từng giây phút ở hiện tại. Giống như là khiến mỗi chúng ta ý thức được rằng mình đang sống. Mỗi bài kệ đều rất ngắn gọn và súc tích, nhưng thật lòng mà nói đối với hầu hết những cá nhân sống trong thời đại này, những người đã và đang thích nghi với cuộc sống nhộ
Jul 27, 2015 KarmA1966 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peace is every breath is another of Thich's books on mindfulness meditation. The mindfulness books tend to overlap quite a bit but all of them offer sound advice in clear prose on how to calm the wandering mind. If you haven't read any of his books, this is a good starting point.

Following are two of my favorite passages from the book:

The Four Noble Truths are: first, there is suffering; second, there is a path or a series of conditions that has produced the suffering; third, suffering can be en
Azarine Kyla Arinta
It is hard not to fall in love with the content of this book and its author. Thich's main teaching is very simple: to stop what you are doing for a while and breath consciously in order to be truly present in the moment. I personally think that this book is very practical and easy to follow, it enlightens me that I can practically meditate everywhere and in everything that I do. The book is full of wonderful words that makes me stop once in a while just to write the quotes in my note for a remin ...more
Jun 19, 2011 Kittykat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, how-to
I did and did not like this one, so it gets a meh rating. On the one hand, I like the writing style with its Rumi-esque meditations in there. On the other, I was kind of hoping for a little bit more oomph or specific advice for things to try to help add that spiritual dimension in there. Or at least a little bit more grounding on what zen is supposed to be about in case people were wondering. It comes off as being sort of generically spiritual instead of genuine with the way it's written. OK boo ...more
Jul 22, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2014 Helpful to me because not only does it talk about mindfulness, happiness, being present in our lives and families, it gives concrete practices that help me. I'm already doing one of them regularly. When I start to feel "off," I take a deep breath in and out and say (in my head), "Breathing in, I relax my mind and body, breathing out, I smile." I'm really learning to center myself and deal with my feelings when I am more under control. FYI: From a Buddhist point of view. Not really mystical, ...more
Oct 05, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't exactly what I anticipated - I had been hoping for something a bit more 'basic' in terms of ways to introduce mindfulness into every day life. This book is more detailed than that - it still does encourage mindfulness in busy lives, but it is more focused on making the Buddhist tradition accessible and understandable to 'beginners'. As such a lot of the affirmations etc were a bit too involved. Fascinating read with some really tangible ideas to follow, but I do want to find som ...more
Feb 18, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me as a gift from a dear friend after reading another one of Thich Nhat Hanh's books called "Art of Power" which is quite amazing. "Peace Is Every Breath" is such a simple guide on ways to bring mindfulness into things as simple as brushing your teeth or washing the dishes. I read this book in a couple of sittings, but underlined many simple reminders that I can see myself going back and referencing often. I think that even if a few of these exercises were practiced regula ...more
Julie Duck
Feb 29, 2012 Julie Duck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My therapist recommended this book - supposedly I can find time to meditate while brushing my teeth or walking down the street. Will see.

Update 12/2 - I am amazed that mindfulness is actually a meditation practice, and that is exemplified in this book. The chapters are short - no more than 2-4 pages at the most, covering areas of our lives where we can incorporate mindfulness and peace. It reminds me of the premise behind "The Power of Now" by Tolle, but much less complicated.

A good book - I lea
Nov 06, 2011 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The goal of this book was to give readers a solid, practical approach to mindfulness that could be used daily regardless of circumstance. That goal was certainly achieve - after all, where else can one find a gatha for using the toliet?

At the very end of the book are five mindfulness trainings (precepts). This is not new material for me - but the way in which certain of the precepts were expressed resonated deeply. For me, it was the best part of the book.
Dec 03, 2014 Hamidur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is a basic guide to meditation. It's similar to another book I read, called Wherever You Go, There You Are (WYGTYA) by Jon Kabat-Zinn. I found Kabat-Zinn's book a bit more interesting. Perhaps that's because WYGTYA was my first book on meditation and I learned things I had no idea about. But this is a useful book for anyone thinking about starting meditation or anyone who is a still a beginner.
  • My Spiritual Journey
  • Manual of Zen Buddhism
  • Buddha Standard Time: Awakening to the Infinite Possibilities of Now
  • Sayings of the Buddha: New Translations from the Pali Nikayas
  • Taking the Leap: Freeing Ourselves from Old Habits and Fears
  • Pagan Christmas: The Plants, Spirits, and Rituals at the Origins of Yuletide
  • Beyond Mindfulness in Plain English: An Introductory guide to Deeper States of Meditation
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • Druids: A Very Short Introduction
  • If... (If..., #1)
  • Letting Everything Become Your Teacher: 100 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • Meditation for Beginners
  • The Spiritual Brain: A Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul
  • The "God" Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God
  • The Wisdom of a Broken Heart: An Uncommon Guide to Healing, Insight, and Love
  • The Key: A True Encounter
  • The Heart of the Revolution: The Buddha's Radical Teachings on Forgiveness, Compassion, and Kindness
  • Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation
More about Thich Nhat Hanh...

“We have negative mental habits that come up over and over again. One of the most significant negative habits we should be aware of is that of constantly allowing our mind to run off into the future. Perhaps we got this from our parents. Carried away by our worries, we're unable to live fully and happily in the present. Deep down, we believe we can't really be happy just yet—that we still have a few more boxes to be checked off before we can really enjoy life. We speculate, dream, strategize, and plan for these "conditions of happiness" we want to have in the future; and we continually chase after that future, even while we sleep. We may have fears about the future because we don't know how it's going to turn out, and these worries and anxieties keep us from enjoying being here now.” 58 likes
“If you know how to be happy with the wonders of life that are already there for you to enjoy, you don't need to stress your mind and your body by striving harder and harder, and you don't need to stress this planet by purchasing more and more stuff. The Earth belongs to our children. We have already borrowed too much from it, from them; and the way things have been going, we're not sure we'll be able to give it back to them in decent shape. And who are our children, actually? They are us, because they are our own continuation. So we've been shortchanging our own selves. Much of our modern way of life is permeated by mindless overborrowing. The more we borrow, the more we loser. That's why it's critical that we wake up and see we don't need to do that anymore. What's already available in the here and now is plenty for us to be nourished, to be happy. Only that kind of insight will get us, each one of us, to stop engaging in the compulsive, self-sabotaging behaviors of our species. We need a collective awakening. One Buddha is not enough. All of us have to become Buddhas in order for our planet to have a chance. Fortunately, we have the power to wake up, to touch enlightenment from moment to moment, in our very own ordinary and, yes, busy lives. So let's start right now. Peace is your every breath.” 26 likes