Start by marking “Kick @$$” as Want to Read:
Kick @$$

Kick @$$ (Warlord #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,428 ratings  ·  45 reviews
They're sexy. They're smart. And they aren't afraid of a little danger-not even when it comes to matters of the heart...

Four of today's hottest authors present a quartet of stories about bold women who take no prisoners-either in a fight or in love. Whether it's in the bedroom, in the outer limits of the galaxy, or out on the mean streets, they kick heart-stopping action
Published September 6th 2005 by Berkley Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Kick @$$, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kick @$$

Kick Ass contains four short stories by four different authors.

The Bride Wore a .44 by Maggie Shayne
Kira is about to get married to what her mom thinks is a perfect match. Kira doesn't seem to care one way or the other. She had an accident in Africa a few months back and she hasn't cared about anything since. Literally. Ever since the accident she has had no feelings about anything. At all.

As the wedding gets closer and closer she starts to remember things a little more from her past. When she
Cathy
4 short stories. 3 are nothing special. MaryJanice Davidson's is not as good as her normal, which makes it still better than most. Everyone who likes, or even tolerates, vampires, werewolves or fantasy should read everything MaryJanice writes. She's hilarious and smart and terrific.
Tara Chevrestt
An anthology of four stories ranging from conrom to paranormal, all featuring kick ass heroines. How could I resist?

In The Bride Wore A .44, we are introduced to a woman about to get married. She's suffered severe head trauma and doesn't remember much of anything before her current life, in which she just believes everything her mother tells her. She even wears the clothes her mother buys her. But when it all falls into place, she discovers she's an agent about to marry the bad guy. What will sh
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Nov 10, 2011 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only the most rabid fans of the authors
Other than Angela Knight's Warfem, now available in a volume with its sequel Jane's Warlord, I did not find anything fascinating in this volume. Maggie Shayne's plot was so unbelievable that it detracted from the romance. MaryJanice Davidon's story was too cute to be interesting. I couldn't even interest myself in finishing Jacey Ford's contribution (a deep cover spy whose cover is being a supermodel? Oh, come on now.)

The best I can say about the stories is that the fight/chase scenes are true t
Michelle Wardhaugh
Some of the villains were a little too realistically nasty for my taste in mind candy. But the heroines really did kick ass quite effectively. The romance side of things brought the "girrrl power" down several notches. I guess a proper romance can't have women save the day all by themselves. Partnering up with a big, strong alpha male is better than being taken out by the bad guys or (worse yet) helplessly waiting to be saved by said alpha. At least that's the theory in this set of stories.
Heidi
Feb 01, 2008 Heidi added it
Shelves: favorites
The Maggie Shayne & Angela Knight stories in this anthology were awesome & made the book a Keeper for me.
Jenny Delandro
Short stories can sometimes be frustrating.
It feels like they are really a bigger story that has been cut down and the ending chopped...... but these stories are different and I enjoyed the ride

the first story follows a girl getting married and leaving all the preparations to her mother.... Kira was almost killed in an explosion that killed her father - she sustained massive head injuries and lost her memory...only 6 months ago
She feels no passion for her fiance but she has started to lust afte
Melanie
I enjoy fun, cheesy, romance anthologies, especially when the romance is simply part of the story, rather than the complete focus. In this one, we have a spy with amnesia, an albino vampire hunter, a futuristic genetically altered human (though there was never really any discussion about her being human, I suppose we can settle on "humanoid"), and a supermodel who is a part-time spy.

Out of the 4 stories, the last one was both the best and the most infuriating. I loved the relationship between ou
The Flooze
Not too bad an anthology, but all of the stories seemed abrupt on the wrap-up. The women and men involved are kick-ass equals and it's nice to see the "partners in crime-fighting" dynamic.

The Bride Wore a .44 by Maggie Shayne.
Amnesiac bride is a little stunned when her memories begin to return--along with her vast fondness for guns. Rushed and a little anti-climactic, but I liked the couple enough that I may look up more by this author.

The Incredible Misadventures of Boo and the Boy Blunder by
Pamela K
There were 4 stories in this book but I only read the first one by Maggie Shayne and the last one by Jacey Ford. Those 2 were great stories and the others probably were to but I am not into reading about werewolves, shape shifters and any of that stuff.
Catsalive
These were all quite good stories but I particularly like Boo because it had a lot of humour & self-mockery in it. That story alone brought this up to a 7.

Rated 7/10 at http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/1....
HeavyReader
I picked up this book at the Phoenix Friends of the Library book sale, thinking it was erotica/smut/sex, but it's more romance novel. Oh, well, now that I look on the back cover, there it says as plain as day (but in rather small print) "romance." I will not be hauling this 330 page tome back to Kansas with me. I will leave it here for my sis to donate to Goodwill or back to the Friends for their next book sale.

I'm glad I only spent 50 cents on this one.

I guess it's not bad if one likes the tea
Laurie Bongiorno
3.5 stars. Some pretty good short stories here and enjoyable as stand alones though I did read this for Angela Knight's 2nd book of a series.
Kittiya
I just finished the first story & have moved on to the second. Oh how disappointed I am so far! Maybe I shouldn't have been so excited. Not to say Maggie Shayne's story was horrible. Just slow...then better... to oh that's it? And now I have started MaryJanice Davidson's story I'm hoping things will get better but so far...well not yet! Davidson's story was good but definitely not her best. The other two short stories I muddled through and thought that they where okay at best. I was definite ...more
Michelle Tempted By Books
all of the stories in this anthology were good.
Marsha
This is an anthology: four stories about strong, tough women who tangle with the bad guys and have incredibly raunchy sex. The women are all different—some are trained, some are chosen, some just fall into their rugged way of life—but the underlying theme of powerful femininity is largely similar. My absolute favorite would have to be “The Incredible Misadventures of Boo and the Boy Blunder” if only because this story features the only heroine in the lot who doesn’t need to be rescued or protect ...more
Jean Oram
Four short stories that are action with a heavy touch of romance. However, the action takes the stage as these are no ordinary heroines--they are kick butt gals! One is a spy, one a genetically modified warrior, one a vampire slayer and another an undercover agent. Oh yeah, some butts are gonna be kicked and some heads are gonna roll!

I'm not usually interested in short stories, but these ones read like full-length novels.
Ginger Warrick
Great for an anthology like most stories felt rushed but they are shortish stories. I originally started this book for boo and the boy wonder I had read of them before in the queen Betsy series and loved the whole dynamic of a vampire dating vampire hunter and her oh so quick on his toes sidekick. But once I read the bride wore a 44 I knew I had yo devour Mrs Shaun's
Just a great read all together. Definitely recommended
Melissa
I admit I only got this book because of MaryJanice Davidson, but I was so disappointed by her story I couldn't finish it! It's probably because I'm not a huge fan of paranormal romance.
The only story I completed was Maggie Shayne's The Bride Wore a .44. Surprisingly good read with an interesting storyline.
The Book Posh
I enjoyed two of the four stories in this book. The last story was ridiculous and very hard for me to finish. I truly enjoyed reading about "kick ass" women. They aren't that kick ass but they were good enough. I'm not a fan of romance and there was a little too much of that laced throughout each story.
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
A series of four short stories gathered together in one tome. The last of the four was definitely the weakest link. The SF was different and the Boo the VampireSlayer story made me chuckle once or twice. Not the greatest collection, but certainly not the worst thing I've read either.
Beth
"The Incredible Misadventures of Boo and Blunder Boy" was awful, probably the worst MJD story I have ever read and I usually like her stuff. However, the saving grace for this book was the Angela Knight story "Warfem" which can also be found in "Warlords".
AJ LeBlanc
This is a mindless read. It's not really well written and it's not going to make you think, but it's a nice quick read for a rainy day or an afternoon at the beach. Angela Knight's Warfem has an interesting plot and I think it's the best of the four.
Robin Conley
This book had some good stories. I enjoyed reading them even though there were a few cheesy parts. The stories were interesting though and fun to read. Basically, they're just a few good action-Romance stories.
Anne
I only read 2 of the stories, the Maggie Shayne story and the Angela Knight story. I really liked them both! Angela Knight's sci fi was really cool. Both of them have sex scenes, too, which I guess is to be expected!
Anita
I read some of this anthology ages ago, then set it aside and have never come back to it. I remember nothing about it, but I'm leaving a review for myself so I don't accidentally pick it up again.
Jenn
I didn't really enjoy the last two stories out of the four. To be honest, I skipped right over the sci-fi one. The last one was a bit too contrived. But the first two stories were great.
Aimee mcmillan
What a fantastic story. Bold and exciting women that do not let anyone get in their way. A new and different Heroine then the usual novels contain. I really liked this powerhouse novel.
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
Lolll--"not the what's his name groom."

Want to read the first and last stories. +

Angela Knight and Mary Janice Davidson =

Interesting,wanna read.

• Over The Moon (Mageverse, #3.5)
  • Men at Work
  • How To Be A Wicked Woman
  • Bad Boys With Expensive Toys
  • Sinful (includes: Winston Brothers, #3)
  • Merry Christmas, Baby
  • Bewitched, Bothered & BeVampyred
  • Bewitched
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou ...more
More about Maggie Shayne...

Warlord (2 books)
  • Jane's Warlord (Warlord, #1)
An Enchanted Season (Psy-Changeling, #0.5; Murphy Sisters, #1) Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5) Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5) The Gingerbread Man Edge of Twilight (Wings in the Night, #10)