Start by marking “I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
I'm Here To Win: A Wor...

Chris McCormack

I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  504 ratings  ·  59 reviews
In I'M HERE TO WIN, Chris "Macca" McCormack opens his playbook and reveals everything it takes-mind, body, and spirit-to become a champion. Now he shares the story of his triumphs and the never-say-die dedication that has made him the world's most successful triathlete.

In 2010, at the age of 37, Macca beat the odds and won the Ford Ironman World Championship in Kona, Hawai
Kindle Edition
Published (first published May 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about I'm Here To Win, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Here To Win

Joey O'Connor
This was a really fun read. I stayed up many a late night (which is not good when you're in training and my body needs rest!).

I devoured the stories and loved the helpful information. Macca was near the finish line at the 2011 Ford Ironman World Championship cheering on my buddy Scott Rigsby, the first double-amputee to complete the Kona Ironman (2007). Scott was finishing his second Ironman and like Macca, offers true inspiration for overcoming setbacks and obstacles.

Macca tells some wonderful
Kate
Initially I felt this to be self indulgent and was overwhelmed by the hefty dose of Chris McCormack's enourmous ego. However for what ever reason I perserved and am damn glad I did! He tells his story in round about way and slowly the real Chris emerges who demostrates humility and grace whilst acknowledgin gthat to achieved what he has takes ego and arrogance. There is a lot in here that can be transfered to ones own life to improve and tweak ones weaknesses. I have found myself inspired and mo ...more
Marc Geraldez
Really enjoyed reading this book and often found myself laughing out loud every time he talked about the mental games with the other athletes. He really opened up a lot in this book and cemented the fact that he is my favorite athlete.
Pennylope
I *wanted* to like this. I really wanted to walk away from this book thinking that Macca is misunderstood. But, the book just further solidified Macca's image as an cocky asshole. I am and will always be Team Crowie.
Mitch Kelly
This was great listening while I worked out. Even when I was commuting to work, it encouraged me to get out for a run as soon as I got home. In my opinion, it's close to the ideal audiobook.
Stephen Redwood
Very readable although hard to get past the repeated self-aggrandizing without it grating. McCormack is without question has been/ is one of the top triathlete's in the world and his journey to get there is interesting and eventful in all sorts of ways that have tested his fortitude and character. He comes across as a somewhat complex character: he puts energy into doing many worth things in the world, but seems to fear us not appropriately ranking his good and great deeds, and spends a lot of t ...more
Dennis Mix
I enjoyed Macca's take on racing and appreciated his honesty on what it took to beat Crowie. Must read for every triathlete.
Rachelle Ayala
Totally awesome book! First time I ever seen Macca was on a Wheaties box. His grinning face was on our breakfast table for over a year. Don't know why they're doing the old Mary Lou Retton, Bruce Jenner and Ali boxes nowadays. I want Macca back!

This book is a great introduction to triathlons by the greatest triathlete on the planet. What I admire about Chris McCormack is his honesty. That's right. He talks about his failures as well as his glories and doesn't sugarcoat his mistakes.

The chapter a
Michelle Lines
*Sigh*, where to start?

This was my first 'audiobook'. When I went to the library to pick up this book, it turned out that they only had an audio copy, so I took it, figuring it would be good listening material for my long runs. Long story short, I made the classic rookie mistake of not taking my iPod off "shuffle" prior to starting my run. So my first impression of this book (40 mins worth), was bordering on disgust. I couldn't believe any publisher would allow a book to be so scatterbrained...
Nate
Gotta love Macca. He's confident and brash, but he knows who he is. And he's a real competitor. I think we can all relate in some ways to what he describes in the book...those nerves at the start of the race but the desire to look supremely confident. I really enjoyed hearing about his race tactics and the way he modified his style to fit the changing world of triathlon.

I'd definitely recommend this book to anyone who is a competitor or just loves reading about world class athletes.
Jonathan Cote
Great read (or audiobook listen for me) to learn a lot about one of the best endurance athletes around. I was surprised to the level in which tactics impacts triathlons. It's brains as much as physical if not more at the highest level. Macca is very open and provides valuable tips and entertaining stories. Love his passion, enthusiasm, and drive to be the best he can.
Dmitriy Demidov
Прочитал меньше половины. Книга не оправдала моих ожиданий. Я брал ее, как источник мотивации для занятий спортом - как что-то похожее на "Рожденный бегать", а она оказалась автобиографией не самого приятного человека. Кроме того, написанной (или переведенной) не лучшим образом.

Два - исключительно из-за уважения к спортивным достижениям автора.
Frank
Macca Tells It Like It Is

Great book from a self proclaimed cocky triathlete. Great stories about his lifetime achievements and his career in triathlon. Fun book to read with good, solid advice.
Nick Cicerchi
Great sports book.... More about the mental aspects of sports and accomplishing goals, than the physical. Chris is a great story teller. He writes like he speaks. One of my favorite sports books.
Mindy
Good read-motivating and tells much of what he went through-the last pages are washy washy thoughts of what he sees in his future -but the whole time I felt it was more like a conversation and he wanted to fell like he was emphasizing certain parts-
Bryan
You may or may not agree with everything that Chris McCormack has to say, but you have to admire his tenacity...
Tony
A good read that appeals to the triathlon addict on multiple levels. Though Macca has been known as something of trash-talker on the professional triathlon circuit, his book provides insights into his personality and motivation. Much of it reads like he's sitting across from you, dishing colorful tales about his race day experiences and interactions with other famous pros. However, he also includes plenty of training advice, including sample workouts and insights on nutrition and preparation tha ...more
Peter

The training schedule is valuable, but the approach to sport is shallow and irritating. This is all a matter of taste and I know many people have enjoyed this book. McCormack certainly was a great triathlete. But I found his criticism of other athletes a bit pathetic and his glorification of playing mind games with competitors inconsistent with what sport means to me. I lost respect for him after reading this. As I say, it is a matter of taste and he is a much better triathlete than I will ever
Tomomi Sasaki
I stayed up til 5am to finish this book, reading about Macca's career as he learns how to approach each race as a mini-war (his words) and plan accordingly. Consider all elements related to an event, learn from other sports, study the other athletes, follow the race not the results, take a holistic approach to training. The book also talks about triathlon and Ironman as a growing sport, what the Olympics did for its development, regional differences of athletes and events, the role that the medi ...more
Garrett Trubey
I use to hate Macca just based on Kona sound bites and interviews I had seen, but I was endeared to him through this book. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I feel he did a good job of being as objective as he could be ( given his self proclaimed levels of confidence). I feel like he gave his rivals and opponents their due. It was a great book, and an awesome insight into ironman. I put it on par with Chrissie Wellingtons book. I really enjoyed it!
Darrell
These sentences written by Mark Allen in the forward embody the spirit of the book; "You can either live the safe route that many others have done and will continue to do, or you can take the leap of faith: Jump off the cliff that can send you into a world that in unpredictable, extremely challenging, and altogether unsupported by those who see risk as a negative. Do that and you can truly live the life that you were put here to live."
Jay N
Good book with a large amount of insight into how he approaches the sport. The whole "everyone says I can't do it and I'm gonna show them" theme does get a little repetitious by the end. However, it was interesting to read about how he applied a strategy to win certain races. I just don't think McCormack is quite as groundbreaking as he thinks he is and gives himself credit for which he does consistently throughout the book.
Derek
Really enjoyed reading this book. Macca's road to his second Kona championship win is pure adrenaline and reading his book one gets to understand the focus, dedication and passion of Chris McCormack to triathlon and the ups and downs of walking the path of a professional triathlete. Lots of great quips and nuggets of tri wisdom to takeaway. Makes for riveting reading and couldn't put the book down once I started.
Elizabeth
I have been on a tear through books about running and triathlon and this was one of the best athlete driven ones. Macca gave great training information but the book was mainly about his personal story. I enjoyed the writing and I think his editor did a great job. Just enough personal stuff to keep it interesting, just enough juice about other athletes to make me hit Wikipedia afterwards.
Chris Lee
Really enjoyed this book. My first Ironman read. Liked hearing McCormack's philosophies behind competing and training. Good mix of memoir, Ironman event recap and training information. Definitely de-romanticizes the race. While I have no plans to include an Ironman on the bucket list, the wheels might have turned once or twice.

Would definitely recommend.
Mark Dunn
A great book to read, especially if you're doing or thinking about doing triathlons. It does get into the technicalities of the triathlon rather than just been sporting stories. Macca is a unique athlete who talks through both training to win as well as the mental game of triathlon.
Wesley
Maccas attitude is straight lined and is all about a hard working ethical approach. I like it. It's about, time go, let's go. That simple. If you like biographies in regards to athletes or even triathlete's naturally you've got to check this out.

Format: audiobook (he narrates it, had to go this route)
Rating: 4 stars, solid.
Mdraeger
Chris McCormack is my favorite triathlete and I liked reading his take on racing and the sport of tri. But this book could really have used a better editor, it was a bit repetitive in places and he doesn't have to work so hard to convince us that he's a great triathlete. Let your record do that talking.
Peter Meyers
You can tell the book was rushed. It is still a good read. It reminds me a lot of the type of conversation you would have with him if you shared a 13 flight home with him. Minus the pauses...
If you are the kind of person that has motivational posters hanging up then you'll love the book.
Tara
I really loved this book it showed me a new side to Macca, an intelligent, thoughtful and insightful Macca. I really enjoyed his dissecting of the races and the past as well as elaborating on his strategy. This book is easy to read and hard to put down!
  • A Life Without Limits: A World Champion's Journey
  • Iron War: Dave Scott, Mark Allen, & the Greatest Race Ever Run
  • Be Iron Fit, 2nd: Time-Efficient Training Secrets for Ultimate Fitness
  • The Triathlete's Training Bible
  • You Are an Ironman: How Six Weekend Warriors Chased Their Dream of Finishing the World's Toughest Tr iathlon
  • Iron Heart: The True Story of How I Came Back from the Dead
  • Run! 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss
  • The Extra Mile: One Woman's Personal Journey to Ultra-Running Greatness
  • Fitness Confidential
  • The Handoff: A Memoir of Two Guys, Sports, and Friendship
  • Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself
  • How Great Women Lead: A Mother-Daughter Adventure into the Lives of Women Shaping the World
  • Hansons Marathon Method: A Renegade Path to Your Fastest Marathon
  • Lance: The Making of the World’s Greatest Champion
  • Running with Joy
  • Life Is Not a Stage: From Broadway Baby to a Lovely Lady and Beyond
  • Once Upon a Gypsy Moon: An Improbable Voyage and One Man's Yearning for Redemption
  • The Long Run: One Man's Attempt to Regain His Athletic Career-And His Life-by Running the New York City Marathon
Chris McCormack "Macca" was born in Sydney, Australia on April 4, 1973. He won titles and awards for his participation in sports during his school years, but initially chose education over a pro sports career and became an accountant after graduating from the University of New South Wales. He began competing professionally in 1996, and most recently, won the 2010 Ironman World Championship.
More about Chris McCormack...
Sunt aici pentru a câștiga I'm Here to Win I'm Here to Win: A world champion's blueprint for peak performance Anarchic Sexual Desires of Plain Unmarried Schoolteachers I'm Here to Win: Wie Chris McCormack zweimal den Ironman Hawaii gewann

“Fact One: Races are won or lost in key moments. Fact Two: Success in the sport is, above all else, about enduring suffering.” 7 likes