Start by marking “The Keepers” as Want to Read:
The Keepers

The Keepers

Jess denies God. In his infinite wisdom, he's taken everyone she's ever loved. Moving to the French Quarter was a ploy to erase the guilt she felt for rebuking her faith. Perhaps, if she hadn't met Justin, an angel preoccupied with getting back into God's good graces, and drowning in his hatred for humanity, her plan would have worked. Justin's general disdain for the huma ...more
Published July 8th 2011 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 6th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Keepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Keepers

Kimberly Callegan
Jun 13, 2011 Kimberly Callegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyon
The Keepers, by Monique O’Connor James, is extraordinarily captivating. This beautiful story had me an emotional basket case! I was filled with angst, longing and elation. I found myself holding my breath, while my stomach tensed, as I waited to read what happened next. It is a story, many who’ve suffered with loss, can relate to. A story that you can get lost in. A story that lures you, from Chapter One, to the end.
The Keepers was written in third person. The flow of the story is impeccable. T
Bella
Jun 24, 2011 Bella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I have never read any books on fallen angles so this was out of my reading zone but I have to say I am mad I did not read earlier! This book had me at the start and I could not put the book down till the end, took me one day to read and one day to fall in love with the story.The story, characters everything about the books pulls you in as soon as you read the fist chapter. I loved the writing and the way things tied together, I really fell for the love story and just how when u read each pa ...more
Ressa Empbra
Jul 31, 2011 Ressa Empbra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who are open minded about religion, and love the paranormal world!
Recommended to Ressa by: Monique James
Carly Wallace
Jul 04, 2011 Carly Wallace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Monique O'Connor James Hea everybody Anne here with my review on The Keepers by Monique O'Connor James. I was given this book and allowed myself 2 weeks to read it, now obviously it didn't take me that long in fact I broke my record by reading it in 2 and a half days, and here is why..
Have you ever suffered a tragedy so great that it made you question your faith? Yes most have, this book has a gift for you, it can show you that things do have a reason for happening and even though it's heartbre
Jewelz
Aug 08, 2011 Jewelz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*This ebook was given to me for an honest review.*

The Keepers by Monique O'Connor James was a FANTASTIC book. I had just put up my "contact me" page and a day later I had a request. You have no idea how excited I was. I was just nonchalantly reading my email while my friend,Megan, was over and I see I have a request. I seriously started screaming, which did scare Megan. ;) So.. not only was it my first request but it was an AWESOME book. Awesome all around.

From page one I was hooked. It starts w
Donna (BLHmistress)
What can I say about this book? Well, for one I read this in one setting and I found myself thinking about issues in my life and wondered if I experienced what Jess experienced would I question my faith too.

A lot of people feel really uncomfortable when they read books about or touch on the topic of religion and to be honest I did at first too then I kept reading and some I could understand her anger and Justin's frustration in trying to help her.

At first I felt like Jess and wished Justin would
Bonnie (Words at Home Blog)
Aug 01, 2011 Bonnie (Words at Home Blog) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
3.5 star review. Originally posted at: http://www.handsandhome.ca/2011/09/th...

The Keepers was an interesting read for me. I really enjoyed the author’s take on angels, and the way they could, or would, interact with humans. Justin and his brothers seemed to share an incredibly interesting past and their connections really made the story for me. The author also did a fantastic job realistically portraying the main character’s struggle with her faith after suffering so much tragedy in her life. H
Kristina
Jun 10, 2011 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
When I first saw this book was so based on religion, I was hesitant to read it. Not because I don't believe, just because I am not hardcore religious. I decided to give it a try because I had heard so many great things about the book. And that is one of the greatest things about it. This book focuses heavily on God, angels, good, evil, and all of that, but it isn't overwhelming at all. The religious aspect makes the book even more interesting and oddly calming, in a way.

The characters in this bo
Thamy
Aug 08, 2011 Thamy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How strong is your faith?

The story is about Jessica Hunter, a 24 year old woman who struggles to accept her losses and denies God. After her mother passed away Jess decides to move away and spend some time alone in New Orleans. She struggles with the guilt she carries in her heart and believes God has a personal vendetta against her. Why doesn't He listen to her prayers?
Jess meets Vi, a charimatic and loving girl who helps and convinces Jess that there's more to life. Much more. She in convince
Sheila
Jess’s brother sends her home to their parents’ apartment in the French Quarter after their mother’s death. She promises to call him every day. But will New Orleans open Jess up to new experiences, or will it just imprison her in memories?

The New Orleans of Monique O’Connor James’ novel The Keepers is a lively city with night life, alcohol, neighbors and parades. Post-Katerina, its carefree personality has returned, and Jess quickly falls in with the amazing Vi while watching LSU play football o
Rose2468
Jul 01, 2011 Rose2468 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won an Ecopy of this book at Young Readers! :D http://youngreadersathome.blogspot.com/

When I started reading The Keepers, it seemed to me it was going to be a nice book to spend my time with. Now, after reading it, I feel it was more than that. The Keepers is a book about dealing with loss, pain and faith.

The Keepers tells us about Jess, a girl who finds difficulties on believing in God after her mother's death. She decides to run away, leaving her reality behind her in order to find a safe p
Tracey Jago
Jul 04, 2011 Tracey Jago rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was something different about this book which I liked. I did struggle with it at first with it all about God and being faithful to him, but as I continued to read I realised there was more to the book than I first thought.
The book really held me towards the end as I could sense something was going to happen that was going to be life changing, epically for Jess.

The story was about Jess who lost her mother, her father had died a while ago and it was just her and her brother, Jordan left. S
Misty
This book really starts out with a dark, sombre tone, that for me stayed for throughout the book. But not in a depressing way lol more of a suck-you-in way! I loved it! It's dark, passionate and emotional.

I admit at first, I was a bit worried about reading the book because I knew there was some religion in it, whilst I of course have nothing against religion, it's just not for me for reading material, but the book doesn't feel 'preechy' at all, it's more about Jess, her loss of faith and her str
Tishia (Paperback Opinion)
This was a wonderful thought provoking book. Jess, who has gone through more tragedy in her life than anyone could bear, loses her faith in God. Ironically, she falls for Justin – an angel trying to protect her. It's quite the interesting relationship because Justin doesn't really even like humans, and he has trouble understanding human emotions. Jess has gone through so much, and the man she falls for can't even empathize with her.

Justin is a love/hate kind of guy – one minute you love him, the
Stefan Ellery
Jul 04, 2011 Stefan Ellery rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have not picked up The Keepers written by Monique O'Connor James and you like PNR I strongly suggest that you do so. Her novel focuses on two characters that are worlds apart in their thinking and existence. A human who is angry at God and an Angel who hates humans. If that were not enough they have to deal with evil elements that are determined to keep them apart.

Monique has the ability to make her characters feel real not one dimensional. They all have a personality with quirks that can
Stacey (Sassy Book Lovers)
I absolutely LOVED this book! And the cover...wow!!

I was so happy when I was given the chance to review this book. I've read quite a few books about angels but nothing like this. This story is very unique in it's own way, and one that'll stick with you.

I was completely pulled in from the beginning and it was so hard to put down. A book about God, faith, angels, tragedy, heartbreak, danger, good & evil. With amazing and exciting characters, who will have you laughing, crying, in disbelief an
Susan Roebuck
Aug 01, 2011 Susan Roebuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
New Orleans is often the setting for vampires and things that go bump in the night, but this time the city is populated by angels - both fallen and guardian. The author is familiar with the city which means that the reader can travel around it and the French Quarter along with the characters. This is part of the joy of this book.
I read in the introduction that the author unfortunately lost her beloved mother. As I was reading about the main character Jess's angst and grief at the loss of her own
Laura Burks
Jan 13, 2012 Laura Burks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Keepers sucked me right in. I'd had this on my list for a while and I was so excited to meet this author at a book signing and snatch up my copy before they were all gone.

My favorite part of this book was when Jess was able to get a glimpse of her mother in heaven. Seeing her happy and reading a book was so touching and made me think. If we were granted books to read in heaven, what would it be? For me, I pictured my grandmother finally getting to read my first published novel. To be able to
W.H.
I won an e-copy of this in a contest. What a prize it is too! I can relate to Jess' character on a very personal level, one which made me cry within the first few pages... just the way the scenes were portrayed--so beautifully--opened up the floodgates.

There are some awesome characters within. Some I adore, some tick me off, and others I detest. I adore Justin... even though he has fallen, he isn't evil.

The way the author describes the scenes are crisp and clean, making this a journey of self-di
Katrina
Jun 21, 2011 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved The Keepers !!!! Will post a review soon ;;) Such a fantastic unique story... a different concept for the angels... But i loved it !!! Paranormal angels and romance blended to quicken the heart beat with every page.. Elements of God - but I found this refreshing and somewhat inspiring.. Background info was great and all characters well placed and put foward. Smooth flowing dialogue and enough suspense, and romance to keep your interest piqued throughout ! A definate must read or to add to ...more
Amy
Feb 19, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this book is absolutely amazing, i picked it up and could not put it down, the way the angels are depicted in this story is not necessarily how you would believe them to be, but the good vs evil plot is absolutely amazing, Ms. James write's from her heart in this book and i personally could feel that, i could also identify with the main character Jess in this book, some find her whiny, i found her dealing with a lot in a short time. Absolutely recommend this to anyone...
  ღ☆ღ  Brenda
Jan 16, 2012 ღ☆ღ Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoyed this book!! What's not to love,you have a young lady who is heartbroken of the loss of her mother,father & sister... Add in a strange couple that keep showing up.But no one else can see them.She meets a man that she falls in love with,but he's not a human.And it just keeps getting better....
Would recommend this book to anyone!!
Haley
Aug 15, 2011 Haley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So happy this is a sequel!!!! Can't wait for the next in the series, nor can I wait to read the next one by this author.
Rachel Dyken
Jul 01, 2011 Rachel Dyken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! Twi-hards, this is a read for you!
Sep 14, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to come.
Mandy (I Read Indie) Anderson
great book..hoping there is more!
Liss Martz
Jul 24, 2011 Liss Martz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks-kindle
This book was great.
Bea
This review first appeared at my blog, Bea's Book Nook, http://beasbooknook.blogspot.com/2011...

Where to start? This review is difficult because, to be blunt, I just didn't like the book. Several times I came close to making this review a DNF - Did Not Finish. There were several factors - a glacially slow pace, irritating characters, and extremely poor proof reading and copy editing. Regular readers of the blog know that the latter item is a huge pet peeve of mine and it can impact my enjoyment
Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)
I had the opportunity to read this book as part of a blog tour. The synopsis made the book sound very interesting. I found that overall, this was a pretty good book. The characters were likable, and I liked the idea behind the plot. Plus, I'm a sucker for a New Orleans setting.

There were a few things that bothered me while reading. For starters, the main characters were lacking "something." I flip-flopped between believing their romance to doubting the actual pull. I guess I didn't fully buy int
Heather Book Savvy Babe
I have always loved stories involving angels and demons, my first paranormal books were about angels and demons. When I had the opportunity to review The Keepers, a story about a human meeting and being protected by an angel, I jumped at the chance. The story line is very intriguing and held plenty of promise. I read an un-edited version of The Keepers, which makes this review fairly tough to write, but I will do my best.

The Keepers is about Jess, a girl who has lost her sister, her father, and
« previous 1 3 4 next »
SALE!!!!! 2 3 Sep 22, 2012 02:07PM
The Keepers - Availability 1 6 Aug 19, 2011 07:25AM
Play list 1 3 Jul 10, 2011 05:34PM
Susan G Komen Foundation 1 2 Jul 09, 2011 11:04PM
Can't get enough of The Keepers? 2 7 Jul 07, 2011 12:24PM
Sale! 1 2 Jul 04, 2011 09:04AM
The Keepers by Monique O'Connor James on Sale for $1.99 2 4 Jul 03, 2011 11:54PM
  • Trinity (Brethren, #1)
  • Audrey's Guide to Black Magic (Audrey's Guides, #2)
  • Breath of Angel (The Angelaeon Circle, #1)
  • Jett (Descended, #1)
  • Pulse Of Heroes (The Pulse #1)
  • Touch of Fate
  • The Observer
  • Demon Inhibitions (Caitlin Diggs #3)
  • Divided against Yourselves
  • Spellbound
  • Mark of the Seer (Seer Society, #1)
  • My Blood Runs Blue
  • OMG (Oh My God) (CUL8R Time Travel Mystery, #1)
  • Within the Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • Rebel (The Prometheus Project, #3)
  • Flury: Journey of a Snowman (Claus, #3)
  • The Hour of Tiamat
  • Out in Blue (Return to Sanctuary, #1)
Monique is the mother of two beautiful children and lives in a small community outside of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. She currently works full time as an insurance agent, but her favorite jobs are mother, wife, and author. On her eighth birthday, her mother bought her a journal and said "write whatever you want, just write." And so, a love affair with words was born. She wrote poetry and short stories ...more
More about Monique O'Connor James...