Start by marking “Wie goed doet” as Want to Read:
Wie goed doet

Wie goed doet

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  27,111 Ratings  ·  1,272 Reviews
Timothy Carrier is een grappenmaker. Op een avond zit hij in een bijna lege kroeg aan de bar. Een nerveuze man voegt zich bij hem en vraagt: 'Bent u hem?' Voor de lol zegt hij: 'Wie anders?' De man schuift een envelop over de bar. 'Dit is de helft. De rest als ze er niet meer is.'

De envelop bevat het honorarium voor een huurmoord, die Tim probeert te voorkomen. De ontdekki
Published October 16th 2007 by Luitingh (first published April 17th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Wie goed doet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wie goed doet

Maciek
Sep 18, 2010 Maciek rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy reading about psychopaths jerking off to undies
Recommended to Maciek by: Don't matter. I threw this book at him and the monster swallowed him whole.
There's so much wrong with Dean Koontz's The Good Guy that one might wonder how the universe did not implode on the day of its publication. However one might realize that books by Koontz published after this one are even worse, so the universe would have to implode several times.
Or maybe the universe doesn't give a crap about Dean Koontz's latest turd. I wonder why I have read it. Maybe because he wrote books that entertained me in the past? Or maybe because I couldn't believe how lazy, idiotic
Ryan
Dec 09, 2007 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults, ya
Shelves: thinker, laugher
Keeping with the Koontz theme. I finished The Good Guy over the weekend. The cover (front and back) doesn’t tell you much. I didn’t read the inside part of the dust jacket. I just picked it up. I figured Koontz = Good read. I was right.

At this point in my Koontz reading extravaganza I’ve made a few generalizations about his books. Someone or something will have special powers. Meaning, if the lead character doesn’t have special powers, then that character has a pet (usually a dog) that does. Or
Kostas Papadatos
Dec 26, 2015 Kostas Papadatos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Κλασικός Koontz. Μπορεί να ακουστεί κλισέ, αλλά η δράση στο συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο ξεκινά απο την πρώτη κιόλας σελίδα. Έχοντας διαβάσει άλλα τρία βιβλία του τα τελευταία χρόνια, έχω παρατηρήσει πως κινούνται ΟΛΑ στο ίδιο μοτίβο: o ήρωας τα πίνει σε μπάρ ώσπου ξαφνικά το σύμπαν συνωμοτεί και βρίσκεται μπλεγμένος σε απίθανες καταστάσεις. Μπορεί να πει κανείς οτι ο συγγραφέας επαναλαμβάνεται..θα έχει δίκιο..οι ιστορίες όμως που πλάθει είναι τόσο καλογραμμένες που δεν μπορείς να σταματήσεις να διαβάζει ...more
Carol Mcdonald
Jun 15, 2007 Carol Mcdonald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Timothy Carrier, having a beer after work at his friend’s tavern. But the jittery man who sits next to him tonight has mistaken Tim for someone very different—and passes to him a manila envelope full of cash.

“Ten thousand now. You get the rest when she’s gone.”

The stranger walks out, leaving a photo of the pretty woman marked for death, and her address. But things are about to get worse. In minutes another stranger sits next to Tim. This one is a cold-blooded killer who believes Tim is the man w
Eric_W
Mar 06, 2011 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timothy Carrier is minding his own business in a bar, when he is approached by another man and offered a packet containing $10,000 to kill someone. Soon thereafter, another man, the real killer enters and mistakes Tim for the client. Tim tries to buy off the killer with half of the money only to discover the hitman is a cop. He contacts the victim, an unusual lady, and the cat-and-mouse games begin.

Nothing supernatural in this book which is great because when I read anything with supernatural s
Lisa
Jan 24, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a writer, Koontz is improving. I found that this novel had very little rambling about his characters and scenes. His development of characters was amazing. I found that even though I despised the evil character, Krait, I was just as attached to him as I was the main characters, Tim and Linda.

This novel had a very interesting and scary plot. What made this Novel so intensely frightening was that it was a plausible situation. It is a plot that could very well be happening or could happen to any
Steven
May 30, 2012 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Dean Koontz has a distinctive style in the thriller genre, and I have always liked it. I haven’t read a book by him in a while, and realized that it’s been long enough that a good half-dozen new ones are available. Of them all, this one sounded the most intriguing, so I tried it first, and I am very glad I did. This is trademark Dean Koontz — a page-turner from the very first paragraph. I could not put this book down, and read the whole thing in three days despite being on vacation and visiting ...more
Richard
The ending is the weakest. Too much tom foolery for such a focused story. But....the journey is what its all about, right? That is a pretty good thing about this book. Its a good ride. Koontz comes up with the creepiest bad guys.
Jessica Degarmo
May 12, 2012 Jessica Degarmo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a favorite of mine. I've read it over and over and every single time I do, I pick up another little nuance.

Dean Koontz is known for his realistic fantasy, taking ordinary people and putting them into extraordinary predicaments, usually with a touch of the supernatural for good measure. The supernatural is missing from this book, but in my opinion, it's what makes it so good. There's something so sparce and poetic about Koontz's writing, something about the way he reveals his charac
Donna
Jan 20, 2009 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is your typical Koontz story - extremely bad guy chasing good guy(s)and in this one, the good guys don't know why they're being targeted for murder. The good guy, (hence the title), Tim, is mistaken for a hired killer in a bar and given an envelope with $10,000 and a picture of a woman whom he is supposed to kill. He then tries to save the woman, Linda, and gets caught up in the cat&mouse game. The bad guy is one of Koontz's worst, I think. He is remorseless & capable of unspeakable ...more
Valerie
This is my first Koontz book and I liked it. I was kind of hoping for more suspense and there were times that I did feel anxious but not to the degree I was hoping for.

It was pretty clean for an adult novel. It gives me hope that when I'm an adult I can actually read novels that aren't too provocative. This is compared to some of the other adult books I've read. There are very slight innuendos and the bad guy pees on stuff he doesn't like which I thought was weird.

Maybe it’s because I'm not an
Roxton Malone
The first three chapters or so held so much promise, with a tighter style than I'm used to seeing from Dean Koontz and some really nifty wordplay. I could almost describe it as Koontz channeling David Mamet or Aaron Sorkin. The remainder of the narrative, however, just didn't deliver. This is your usual Koontz, but too much so. A lot of it just felt old. It might have been more interesting if the hero had been just a regular guy, and if Koontz could have kept his over-romanticizing in check.
John Brown
Dec 17, 2009 John Brown rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So let’s say you’re in a bar and a guy shows up, mistakes you for someone he was meeting, and you play along. Just for fun. You’ll let him know his mistake sooner or later. But then he slides a manila envelope to you and says, “Half of it is there. Ten thousand. You’ll get the rest when she’s gone.”

Would you say, “Sorry, dude. I’m not your hit man”? A woman’s life is on the line.

In Dean Koontz’s The Good Guy, Tim Carrier is too astonished to react. The man leaves. Carrier opens the envelope. The
David Roth
Oct 01, 2011 David Roth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, you’re just this ordinary working stiff dropping by his favorite watering hole after a hard day laying bricks. All you want is a little down time to chill with a nice cold bottle of your favorite brew and be left alone. Seriously, is that asking too much?

It’s all Tim Carrier, a brick mason, and the son of a brick mason had in mind when he addled up to the bar on what was just another ordinary night in the ordinary life of an ordinary working stiff.
But this wasn’t going to be just another ord
Hazellie
Jun 03, 2011 Hazellie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books-read
Well, Dean Koontz is a name that I’ve heard many times and very long ago but surprisingly, I’ve never read any of his books until now.

This book is about a man, Timothy Carrier, who is mistaken as a hit man and given ten thousand dollars and a woman’s picture to kill her. When the real killer arrives, Tim gives him the ten thousand as a no-kill fee and keeps the woman’s picture, saying that he changed his mind and didn’t want her killed.

Of course, the mistake is eventually, and too soon, discover
Mark
Jan 27, 2009 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one started off phenomenally well -- a chance encounter at a bar involving mistaken identities and a contract "hit" on an unknown woman.

Unfortunately, while well written and peopled with interesting characters, the novel didn't sustain the type of suspense I usually expect from Koontz. Unlike his recent "The Husband" which was a non-stop thriller ride, this one seemed to drag on. It got a bit interesting again in the final quarter of the book, but too many important details were kept away f
Kristi
Apr 10, 2009 Kristi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
, ehhh, I ask myself why do i read dean koontz. Because what I want to read is hardly ever on the library shelf and some how Koontz is.
This wasn't a terrible story, it did keep moving and i liked the characters. But i think i needed a little bit more about either the mysterious very weird killer for hire, or "the gentleman's club" that employs him. I'm a bit dense sometimes and the calling in a favor from a very important man's mama to stop the bad guys club was really lame to me. I would also
Jenn
Jan 02, 2009 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenn by: Barbara Elison
Another good one from Koontz. This is a quick, suspenseful read with good characters. My only issue with this book is that I wanted to know the motivation behind the bad guy, Krait. I know it is obviously supposed to be all about the good guy, but I wanted to understand the bad guy too. Perhaps the message is just that there is unexplained evil in the world.
Krissy
Typical Koontz book. Decent but extremely wordy. He can get overly descriptive and rambling at times. I'm sorry but I don't need 2 paragraphs describing a door in order to set the scene. About 70% of the time I spend reading his books I am just wishing he'd move on to the next scene already.
Steve Lindahl
It has been awhile since I picked up any of Dean Koontz's books. I can't remember which ones I read years ago, but I remember enjoying them. The Good Guy, however dissappointed me. It has a great premise, a man sitting alone in a bar gets mistaken first for a hit man and then for the man contracting the hit man. After that he's stuck in the middle of a planned murder and, of course, is in danger of losing his own life.

The book is filled with unbelievable scenes, even given the nature of the mach
Lynai
Jul 03, 2012 Lynai rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-dean-koontz
It is no secret how much I adore Dean Koontz. My love affair with his books started when I was in college and since I am your typical dork, I frequently visited our university library which, fortunately for me, housed Dean Koontz novels. Since I began earning, I started buying my own copies of Dean Koontz’s books, from Booksale, of course, and decided that I should strive to complete my collection. I haven’t accomplished that, though, and for a reason. Quite recently, I have discovered that my t ...more
Shelley
Oct 15, 2011 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Tim Carrier is a stone mason, a man who likes a peaceful life, who likes order, a man who has earned the loyalty and respect of his friends. Being mistaken for an assassin, his courage and desire to protect lead him into adventure, a cat and mouse game and a partnership with a woman who shares his qualities.

There is a message in this novel and its the seed of true horror; could there come a time when society can be controlled by a hidden agency? Is it already possible for "someone" to monitor ou
Meli
Jul 14, 2012 Meli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had this book since... 2009 or 2010, I think. Just a random buy from my Dad because the book was cheap. BUT, once more, the younger me really couldn't read the rest of it. I'm a fantasy reader, so this isn't really what I'd read. (& that's me being honest.)

However, I did read it in segments during those few years and left 2011 to other YA novels.

I am disappointed in myself for doing that, especially now that I haven't really let myself read the books that I want to read. So, after pushi
Arlene
I finished this book late the other night. I would give it 5*. You knew from the beginning "who dun it" or actually who the bad guy was and what he was trying to do, murder the heroine, but the plot of the book was a cat and mouse game with the hero trying to keep the heroine alive - classic story, good vs. evil; hero, girl, & bad guy! Dean Koontz kept me reading trying to figure out the "why did someone want this girl dead" and how he was getting his information. And maybe the best part was ...more
Joe
May 22, 2016 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical paint by numbers thriller from Koontz. I read his books occasionally because they take place in Orange Co(I grew up in S. Cal) and they are fast fun read.
Matt Ireland
May 11, 2009 Matt Ireland rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kevin Lucia
Sep 20, 2012 Kevin Lucia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and transcendent, as always. And sure, he's being pretty blatant about his personal beliefs. But so what? So are lots of writers.
Matt Wainwright
Jun 22, 2016 Matt Wainwright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My third Koontz book in what I now think will be just the beginning. I really enjoyed the pace of this book. Much faster pace than False Memory, which he still provided enough details to become involved with the main characters of this book.

A somewhat "wrong place at the right time" vs. "wrong place at the wrong time" cliche, but Koontz still adds enough twists to keep the reader guessing. The thing that I enjoyed most about this book is the fact that the two main characters develop their relati
Marie
Mar 19, 2016 Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm not very good at writing proper reviews, so I suppose I'll just list all the crap that annoyed me:
1) The author apparently thought that every single line of dialogue needed to be witty and sharp. Unfortunately, when you try to make everything clever, none of it hits the mark.
2) How do you make a character appear deep? By putting a poster of a tv instead of a real tv in her living room.
2a) And she has a car in her kitchen. My, how quirky!
3) This passage: "The devil of illiteracy had been giv
Y
please add the book cover from amazon 2 8 Jun 08, 2015 11:43AM
Can someone please create another edition of this book? 2 18 May 24, 2015 09:30AM
Koontzland - Dean...: The Good Guy (Group Read - September 2013) 67 97 Oct 29, 2013 01:34AM
What was the picture the killer tore down? 3 57 Oct 01, 2013 10:22AM
  • Predators
  • Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Volume 1: Prodigal Son
  • Life Is Good: Lessons in Joyful Living

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...

“Given enough time, you could convince yourself that loneliness was something better, that it was solitude, the ideal condition for reflection, even a kind of freedom.

Once you were thus convinced, you were foolish to open the door and let anyone in, not all the way in. You risked the hard-won equilibrium, that tranquility that you called peace”
85 likes
“Appearances are not reality; but they often can be a convincing alternative to it. You can control appearances most of the time, but facts are what they are. When the facts are too sharp, you can craft a cheerful version of the situation and cover the facts the way that you can covered a battered old four-slice toaster with a knitted cozy featuring images of kittens.” 25 likes